Chapter 2 - Rocky Beginnings

Gates of the Zodiac

 

green-forest-wallpaper-1600x1200-1006070

 

"Ruuuuuuun!" Hangeng shouted.

"Aaaaaaaah!" Heechul shrieked like a little girl.

The pair ran as a pack of humanoid monkeys gave them chase through the thick forest. Hangeng vaulted over a semi-fallen tree trunk while Heechul half-ran/crawled underneath it. 

"What - did -you -do!?" Hangeng asked in between breaths as Heechul ran beside him. 

"Nothing!" Heechul said in defense. 

Hangeng suddenly grabbed Heechul's wrist and pushed him through the crevice of a hollow trunk before squeezing himself inside as well. It was a tight fit, but they both managed to fit due to Heechul's thin frame. Heechul rested his head on Hangeng's shoulder as they both tried to catch their breaths. A minute passed before Heechul started, 

"I-I swear I didn't do nothing! I was-" Heechul said before he felt Geng's hand cover his mouth.

Heechul glared at the hand fully prepared on biting it before catching Hangeng's glare as if daring him to do so. Hangeng removes the hand and puts his fingers to his lips signalling the other to stay silent. They heard rustling all around their hiding spot along with grunts and hisses. They held their breaths both not daring to take one as it might reveal their current posistion. A tense minute passed before the sounds outside disssipated. They let another minute pass as a precaution before Hangeng shifted and poked his head outside. No longer seeing neither hide nor tail of those horrid little things, he finally let out the breath that he was holding. He shimmied out of the confining space before he offered a hand to Heechul. Heechul gratefully took his hand and plopped down on the ground fanning himself.

"Great, we lost the horses, we lost the supplies and we lost our weapons. This journey has only started and yet we have lost so much already..." Hangeng grumbled.

"Atleast we didn't lose each other... a-and the key! I still have the key!" Heechul pulled it out triumphantly and waved it infront of Geng. 

"Great... Nevermind the supplies,the horses and my sword. We have you and the key!" Geng said sarcastically. 

Heechul opened his mouth but Geng continued his tirade clearly fueled by his raging emotions. 

"I leave you to watch camp while I get some firewood only to meet you on the way back with those damn monkeys snapping at your heels!" Geng shouted. 

Heechul narrowed his eyes in to slits. 

"Well SOR -RY for letting you down and ing up this whole journey! God forbid I'm doing all this on purpose just to piss you off!" The frustration of the five days sleeping on the hard ground and eating carefully rationed food not fully satisfying their stomachs finally bubbled to the surface. 

"It's not too late for you turn back you know, I didn't beg you to come with me." Which Heechul immediately regretted when he saw a flash of hurt cross Geng's face before it was quickly replaced by anger. 

"Fine. I'll go." Geng glared at him before turning and heading off. 

Heechul felt his heart drop and felt even more guilty as he watched his friend leave. 

"Call him back! Apologise! Beg if you have to!" Heechul mentally screamed. 

His pride however, prevented him to vocalize his thoughts. 

"FINE! I hope they chase you again! Good riddance!" He shouted back at Geng. 

He made a grab for the nearest plant and started uprooting it. After a few more tugs and the plant still not budging, he gave up, exhausted. He laid down on the forest floor and blew at the hair obscuring his eyes. As he cleared the hair from his eyes, it was only then that he realized that he had an audience. A small humanoid monkey was staring down at him from the canopy. Heechul narrowed his eyes and gritted his teeth. 

"YOU! YOU CAUSED ALL OF THIS YOU DAMNED MONKEY!" Heechul stood up, grabbed a pebble, threw it hitting the monkey straight in the head causing the little monkey to emmit a loud cry. 

"Oh boohoo! Serves you right!" Heechul bent down to pick up another pebble not satisfed with making the poor monkey cry. When he straightened to aim at it he saw that the little monkey was no longer alone. The little monkey was surrounded by the pack with one slightly bigger monkey cradling it. It was the same pack that had gave chase to them earlier. Heechul swallowed and let the pebble that he was clutching to fall on the ground. 

"Oh... Is that your mom A-and your cousins?... Lovely family you have,,," Heechul slowly inched back in to the forest feeling the intense stare of the pack. 

The little monkey screeched and the pack lunged. Heechul whirled and screamed! 

 


 

Meanwhile, Hangeng was walking through the forest trying to remember his way back to camp. 

"Stupid Heechul, stupid monkeys, stupid adventure..." He grumbled.

He sat down on a moss covered log to think. 

"Conceited, narcisistic, spoiled, short tempered..." And the list went on as Hangeng recounted the events of their 5 day journey. 

"He must be yelling at a piece of branch right now for messing his hair..." He chuckled at the thought and smiled fondly as his anger started to abate. 

He then looked back and remembered how Heechul saved his life back in the cave. He also remembered Heechul even only after knowing him for a day, agreeing to come with him and save his mother. It was then realized, Heechul was really all the things that he listed, but even if he was all that, Heechul was still a good and selfless friend no matter how y he was. Hangeng pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed 

"I'm such a terrible person..." He mumbled. 

He stood up fully prepared on going back and apologising to Heechul when he saw him conveniently running towards him. 

"Heechul!" Hangeng shouted. 

"Look, I'm sorry okay. I didn't mean to blame all of our misfortunes on you. I was just tired..." 

"RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!" Heechul screamed and grabbed Geng's hand. 

Geng saw the pack of of humanoid monkeys running after them making him run faster and eventually overtaking Heechul. This time, it was him who was dragging the other. 

"What -did -you -this -time?" Hangeng asked as he ran. 

"I -didn't -do -anything!!" Heechul said while desperately trying to catch his breath. 

Hangeng continued running/dragging Heechul when he saw a clearing up ahead. 

"Run faster!" Geng urged the other male. 

They broke through the trees and saw a gorge up ahead. Looking right and left, they saw a bridge at the distance. They picked up the pace and made their way to the bridge. From afar, the bridge looked to be their salvation, but as they neared it and had a closer inspection they saw that it was a death trap waiting to be triggered. The ropes holding the bridge was worn thin, the boards half rotten and some missing. They stopped in front of the bridge swinging and swaying precariosly as strong winds passed through it.. 
 

dangerous-rope-bridge-1.jpg

 

"You have got to be kidding me! I am not going to step foot on that rickety, termite infested bridge! I'd rather take my chances with the monkeys!" Heechul said. 

"We don't have any choice! Just don't look down." Hangeng hissed and took a tentative step forward the first plank. 

He slowly transferred his weight on the feet stepping on the plank to test its strength. Having fully rested his weight without the plank collapsing, he turned to look at Heechul.

"Come on Heechul" he extended his hand. Heechul shook his head and didn't make a move towards him, clearly not convinced of the bridge's structural integrity. From afar they saw the pack of humanoid monkeys burst through the same thicket of trees they came from. 

Hangeng reached out "Come on Heechul!" looking at him straight in the eyes not daring to look anywhere else knowing he would also lose his courage the moment he saw the misty abyss below. 

"Trust me." Geng said willing his eyes to show courage.

Heechul reached out and took Geng's hand. They held on the ropes with both their free hands while holding each other with their other hands as they slowly crossed. Hangeng looked back and saw the pack already halfway towards the bridge. 

"We're going too slow!" Hangeng said as he pulled Heechul in to a jog. 

WHile the pair were halfway through the bridge, the pack of humanoid monkeys reached the start of the bridge. The pack hesitated but one monkey braved it out and began to cross the bridge. Others soon began to follow his lead. Nearly 3/4s of the bridge, Heechul's foot went through a rotten board. 

"Ahhhhhh!" Heechul whimpered as his leg got scratched by the jagged edges as his foot passed through the board. 

Hangeng felt the tug on his hand and saw Heechul with his right foot stuck on the board. Seeing their prey stuck and smelling the blood coming from Heechul's foot, the pack went wild. The pack increased their pace and were pretty much halfway the bridge only twenty meters away from their prey. Heechul tried to pull his foot out, but the jagged edges prevented him to do so. 

"Leave me!" Heechul shouted at Geng as he pulled out the Key of Pisces planning on making a last stand and giving Geng enough time to escape. 

"LEAVE! NOW!" Heechul shouted as he started the summoning. 

"NO!" Geng shouted back and stomped hard on the board that had trapped the other's foot. 

Thankfully, it broke to pieces freeing Heechul's foot. Immediately, Geng pulled Heechul to a stand cancelling the summoning and dragged him to the other side running. The humanoid monkeys were only five meters away when a sound vibrated  throughout the bridge. The added weight of the pair along with the pack of monkeys plus the stress they're putting on the bridge by running was causing the ropes to slowly tear.

Nearing the other side, Geng dragged Heechul forward and pushed him hard causing the other to land face first on the other side. Heechul recovered quickly and reached out for Geng. Geng began to reach out when a loud snap was heard. His fingertips brushed Heechul's outreached ones as he, along with the pack of monkeys fell on the chasm below. 

"HANGENG!!!" Heechul cried.

 




Heechul's mind went blank as he saw his friend fall in to the chasm below. His eyes began to tear up as he remembered feeling his friend's fingertip touch his. 

"He was that close... If I leaned a bit farther... Just a bit farther...I could have saved him..." Heechul began to sob. 

"HEECHUL!!!" 

"And now I'm hearing voices..." Heechul mumbled as he continued to sob. 

"HEECHUL!! HELP!!" Heechul stopped sobbing. 

He crawled towards the edge of the cliff and looked down. What he saw made his heart flip with joy. 

"Geng! You're alive!!" He exclaimed.

Geng was hanging on to the part of the bridge that was still connected to land. 

"LET. GO. YOU. STUPID. MONKEY!!!" Geng yelled as he repeatedly kicked the head of a humanoid monkey desperately clutching at his foot. With one last kick the monkey released and fell in to the misty abyss below. 

"Grab my hand!" Heechul reached out. 

Geng stepped on the remaining boards and use them as a ladder to reach Heechul's hands. When he reached it, they were able to pull him to safely. Both of them exhausted remained lying on the floor catching their breaths. 

Heechul rolled to his side facing Geng. He then smacked Geng's forehead hard. 

"Never do that again!" Heechul yelled. 

Geng rubbed his forehead and also laid on his side facing Heechul. 

"Promise me you'll never do something like that again Geng! Don't ever put my safety ahead of yours!" 

"It's not me who is needed to fulfill the prophecy. You're life is much more valuable than mine!" Geng retaliated. 

" the prophecy! We're in this together Geng! Your life is as important as mine! You promised to join me on this damn quest! Don't you dare leave me by dying!" Heechul shouted at Geng's face. 

Seeing Heechul's face so close to him, it was hard to miss that he had been crying. He closed his eyes and sighed. 

"Okay Heechul, I promise as long as you promise to do the same. It was you who first asked me to leave you behind while you're foot was stuck on the bridge." He countered. 

"Th-that was different! I had no choice!" Heechul stuttered. 

It was Geng's turn now to be angry. 
 
"So when I risk my life you get angry, but when you risk yours it's okay?!" Geng raised his voice. 
 
"I told you that it’s different!" Heechul said. 
 
"Tell me! Tell me how it was different!" Geng was now shouting. 

Not being able to answer him, Heechul broke their eye contact. Geng held the other's shoulder restoring their eye contact. They stayed like that for a minute before Geng spoke. 


"Let's both promise to do everything, everything in our power and best of abilities to keep each other safe." Heechul nodded and turned towards the sky.


Hangeng did the same. "You're never gonna tell me why the monkeys started chasing us are you?" Hangeng asked. 


"Nope. That is one of the many secrets that I'll take it to the grave with me." Heechul smirked as he closed his eyes and made himself more comfortable. 


Seeing that his friend will never answer him, he gave up. 


"Sleep, I'll take first watch." Hangeng said as he pushed up and sat. 

 


 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0yuYNqRh7MLSaxBJ5Awh

 

They may have lost their horses, supplies, food and weapons but they gained something more valuable in return. A stronger bond of friendship. 

 

 


FLASHBACK 

"Heechul, stay here while I get some more firewood." Geng said. 


Heechul nodded. After a while, he got bored and began to explore. He remembered having his celphone on his pocket and took it out. As usual it had no service. 


"Get excellent coverage in any part of the world my !" He raised his hands in the air. 

He then felt his cellphone disappear and looked up. A small monkey - not an ordinary monkey was perched on the canopy above him. It looks a little more like a human kid except for the thick black fur covering his entire body. The little humanoid monkey had his phone and started fiddling with it pressing buttons delighted by the colors that flashed through the screen.. 

"Hey! Give that back you... You big monkey!" He climbed the tree fully determined to get his cell phone back.


He didn't want to risk throwing things at the monkey that might cause him to drop it. He also wasn't sure if he could catch it if that happened. Halfway climbing through the tree, his phone played music. 

 

Neomu banjjak banjjak nuni busyeo No No No No No

Neomu kkamjjak kkamjjak nollan naneun Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

Neomu jjarit jjarit momi tteollyeo Gee Gee Gee Gee Gee

Oh jojeun nunbit (Oh Yeah) Oh joeun hyanggi (Oh Yeah Yeah Yeah)"
 

The monkey must have pushed the play button on his phone. 

The monkey startled by the sound, dropped his phone which fell to the ground breaking in to pieces. He looked back at the monkey intent on killing the furry bastard when he saw that there was a pack of much bigger humanoid monkeys behind it. The loud song must have attracted the others. They all bared their fangs at Heechul. Heechul slowly slid to the ground and swallowed. 

The monkeys attacked while Heechul ran back to camp screaming like a banshee.

 



 believe in equality.

Once you lose an  respect or trust, it's over for you.

 likes to be naughty.

 advice is telling people what they NEED to hear, not what they WANT to hear.

 has more depth emotionally and in character than you will ever know.

 will check and recheck their lover to make sure their pick is suitable and compatible.

's love belly rubs.

It's difficult to deny the of a . They are walking temptation.

's kiss gently.

In a relationship, a  can only give you so many chances. Dont disappoint them.

All  signs want to be God. 

 has very little patience.

Got this from twitter.