Similar Yet Different

Without a Mask

ATTENTION: I did a double update today so don't forget to read the previous chapter if you haven't already. :)

It was a normal Saturday. The sky decided to be neutral that day, it was neither a clear blue or filled with dark clouds. All there was to see was a gray sky. It didn’t mean rain but it didn’t mean sunshine either.

Seungho awoke late that day. After Mir’s birthday party the previous day, he had been exhausted. Setting up the party and then cleaning up afterwards were enough to drain his energy. However, that didn’t please Seungho at all. If he wanted to be at a professional skill level for soccer then he needed stamina.

To start off his morning, Seungho changed out of his pajamas and into clothes suited for jogging. He had on a royal blue pair of shorts that fell down to his knees, a nylon shirt that was basically a cheaper version of Under Armour. Heading downstairs, he greeted his mother who was in the kitchen eating a quick meal of plain toast for breakfast. She had a hot thermos with coffee in it that she usually carried to work.

“Good morning, honey. Are you going for a run?” she asked. Seungho nodded as he slipped on his running shoes.

“I’ll be back soon,” he said.

“Okay. Oh, and how about we go out to eat today? I heard about this really nice Chinese restaurant not too far from here,” his mother said. Seungho thought about it for a moment before he replied.

“Sure, I’ll see you later then. Bye mom,” he replied. Slipping his keys and phone into the pockets of his shorts, Seungho headed out the front door.

Besides the sky’s neutrality, the weather was also playing a middle ground. It was just in between hot and cold. Decent weather to jog in. Seungho was pleased that he had picked the right day to go for a morning jog.

Because of the nice weather, a lot of people were out and about. Seungho had to weave through the crowded streets before he finally made it to a park. Once he was there, he was able to run without any hindrances. The feeling of freedom was euphoric. He felt like nothing could stop him, nothing could hold him down.

This was the moment Seungho was able to let his mind wander. It was the time for him to allow his emotions to come to the surface.

He thought back to the moment when Minah and Mir were standing in front of the piñata. All he could remember thinking at that moment was how much he wanted to punch Mir. The thought frightened him. He didn’t want to harm his friend over something like that. It just wasn’t right.

However, he didn’t believe they were right. As in, Minah and Mir together. As much as Seungho wanted to be the one who could let go to allow a relationship to happen between the two, he just couldn’t.

Seungho believed that he was the only man right for her. Of course, that’s how every guy who has ever been in love feels like.

Although Seungho didn’t want to admit it, he and Mir were similar. They both were possessive and protective over the things they cared about it however the ways they went about showing it were different. Seungho kept his feelings locked up inside while Mir at least tried to openly pursue Minah.

They were similar yet different.

Seungho had a calm and composed demeanor as opposed to Mir’s more rowdy and outgoing personality. But, deep down inside they were similar in that they still fell for the same girl.

Similar yet different.

Seungho slowed down to an easy walking pace. He gazed around at the lively park, seeing families with their children. It was a heartwarming sight and he hoped to have a child of his own one day. Underneath his seemingly cold shell, he always had a tender spot for kids. When he was younger, he had always begged his parents to get him a little sister or brother.

Of course, much to his disappointment they never did. Seungho chuckled ruefully as he wished he could go back to those times. Albeit, he had hated dealing with the conflicts between his parents, there was something about being wrapped up in his own battle that made things harder. The last thing Seungho wanted to do was get into a war with Mir or Cheondoong over Minah.

---
After his jog, Seungho grabbed a small bite to eat for lunch and returned home. He killed the time before dinner by working out more. In his room, he some music and began doing abs workouts.

Once he had worked himself near to the point of collapsing, Seungho stopped for the best. He took a long, hot shower to ease his aching muscles. Afterwards, he put on something a little nice for dinner.

He wore a button-up, plaid shirt with a collar. For the bottom, he wore a decent looking pair of jeans without any holes in them. He picked up one of his favorite hats, a deep red one with a strange symbol sewn into it, and put it on. He turned the hat to the side, finding that wearing it the right way seemed a little too childlike.

The clock read 6:30 PM which meant his mother should be home at any moment. Much to his predictions, Seungho was right. His mother opened the front door and shouted out a greeting to him. Seungho left his room and smiled at her.

“Welcome back,” he said. She smiled warmly back at him and patted his shoulder gently before heading into her room.

“I’m going to change before we leave, alright?” she called back. Seungho nodded and went downstairs to wait in the living room. He didn’t have to wait long since his mother came out about five minutes later.

“That was fast,” Seungho remarked. His mother chuckled and winked at him.

“Well, I’m not one of those women who take forever to get ready. My policy is to not waste time on looking your best when you can go out and enjoy life while looking average,” she replied. Seungho laugh along and rolled his eyes.

The parent-child duo soon found them at the Chinese restaurant that Seungho’s mother had told him about. Much to his surprise, it was the same restaurant that he had gone to with his friends after Cheondoong’s concert.

Seungho almost didn’t want to go inside, not after he saw that one waiter blatantly staring at Minah that one night. However, to make his mother happy he reluctantly entered the establishment.

Right when they entered, a boy with a childlike face greeted them. They could tell he wasn’t Korean by the barely noticeable accent when he spoke in Korean.

“Hello, my name is Luhan. How may I help you?” he said. Seungho’s mother stepped up and smiled brightly at him, adoring the doe-like innocence the boy seemed to radiate.

“I’d like a table for two please,” she responded.

“Okay. Right this way,” Luhan replied. He grabbed two menus before leading the two of them to their table. Luhan placed the menus down and bowed. “Your waiter will be right with you. I hope you enjoy your meal.”

When Luhan left, Seungho’s mother lightly slapped his arm as they took their seats.

“Why don’t you look as cute as that boy? I would love to have a son as adorable as him,” she said. Seungho gaped at her and scoffed.

“Please mom, I don’t wanna look cute. I’d rather look manly,” he retorted. His mother giggled and slapped his arm again.

“Aigoo, my cute baby boy wants to be a man,” she cooed, pinching his cheek. Seungho swiped her hand away and glared at her.

Sometimes I wish I hadn’t made up with her. Now she always treats me like a baby.

Before his mother could coddle him even more, the waiter showed up much to Seungho’s relief. This waiter looked familiar.

“Hello, my name is Chen and I’ll be your waiter tonight. Can I start you off with something to drink?” he asked politely. Seungho remembered the waiter’s name from before and nodded in greeting. After Seungho and his mother ordered their drinks Chen left to go retrieve them.

“Are you not wearing your name tag again?” Chen said as he entered the kitchen. He threw the person he was talking to an irritated look. The person smirked lazily and waved his hand nonchalantly.

“Yeah. Now go do your job,” he said. Chen bit back the urge to swear at his co-worker as he grabbed two glasses and filled them with water.

“If you don’t get off your lazy then the boss will fire you soon,” Chen warned. The boy rolled his eyes.

“Do you think I care? Besides, the boss loves me. He would never fire me,” he replied in a snarky manner. Scoffing, Chen shook his head and left the kitchen with the drinks in his hands. He went back to the table and placed them down.

“Here you go. Would you like any appetizers or are you ready to order?” he asked Seungho and his mother.  They looked at each other, seemingly confirming their decision and then nodded. Chen took their orders and went back to the kitchen to drop them off. “I need one beef lo mein and one sesame chicken.”

“I didn’t hear a please,” one of the cooks said. Chen looked up and saw his 187cm tall friend smirking at him.

“Kris, just make the damn orders,” Chen responded. Kris held his hands up.

“Whoa, what’s got your in a bunch?” he said.

“You wanna know why I’m angry? Ask gray eyes over there,” Chen growled as he pointed to the boy he had been speaking to earlier.

“I see what you mean. Anyways, I’ll get those orders done for you right away,” Kris replied, winking before he got to work.

“God, where’s Tao when you need him? Kris always bothers me when Tao isn’t here. That damn Kung Fu panda,” Chen muttered as he left to attend to other customers.

When he came back, the two orders were ready. Kris was about to say something to Chen until Chen grabbed the dishes and left without a word. He the plates in the boy’s face and glared down at him.

“Jaehwa, go take these orders out to table 8. Now.” The boy rolled his eyes but took the plates anyways. He headed out of the kitchen and went to the table Seungho and his mother was sitting at. Without a care, he plopped the plates in front of them.

“Here,” he said before turning to leave. Seungho looked up and was taken aback for a moment. The boy had the same gray eyes that Jaesun had. Seungho would have believed that it was Jaesun if it wasn’t for the fact that this boy was not wearing a mask.

Another dead giveaway that told him this boy was not Jaesun was how boldly the boy went up to a girl at another table and flirted with her.

Man, his eyes look like Jaesun’s. Yet, their personalities are completely different.

Seungho didn’t bother watching Jaehwa any longer as he dug in to his meal. However, he couldn’t help glancing at the boy one last time before the boy disappeared back into the kitchen, pocketing a slip of paper that no doubt had the girl’s phone number on it.

Who knew people who looked so similar could be so different?

 ---

Thanks for reading! A little gift for you guys for waiting so patiently! ;)