Just For a Moment

Without a Mask

After the kiss, the pair spent a couple seconds awkwardly looking everywhere but the other. Minah knew she was blushing furiously and she did her best to hide it by turning her head away. Mir on the other hand was awe struck at what he had just done and at the fact that Minah had actually kissed him back.

Clearing his throat, Mir let go of Minah’s waist. She also let her hands drop to her sides. “Umm, so…are we a couple now?” he asked, nearly slapping himself a second later from the way he had sounded so nervous. What’s wrong with you, Mir? That was the stupidest, most awkward thing you have ever said.

“I-I mean…will you be my girlfriend?” he asked instead. Minah turned to look at him again and when she realized that Mir was just as flustered as she was she smiled a little.

“Yes, I will,” she responded with a light smirk adorning her features. She had a teasing glint in her eyes as she poked Mir in the stomach. “Are you nervous?”

“No! How could I be nervous? It’s not like you’re the first girl I ever dated,” Mir snorted derisively.

“Oh, I know that fact very well. I especially remember that one incident where you were making out with that one girl-“Minah was cut off when Mir captured her lips with another kiss. Her mind grew fuzzy for a moment and she forgot what she had just been saying.

Five seconds later, he pulled away leaving Minah breathless. “Let’s just forget that ever happened. I don’t remember any other girl except for you right now.”

“Since when were you such a romantic?” Minah asked with a smile that lit up her whole face.

“I’m not. I’m just forgetful.” As Mir spoke, he winked at her and began tugging her towards the motorcycle. She couldn’t help but laugh and go along with him. Her hand felt warm and safe in Mir’s larger hands. It was comfortable and perfect the way their hands fit so snugly together. “Now, should we ride around town for a while or should I return this bike to my friend?” Mir asked. Her jaw fell open and she reached over to smack Mir on the back of the head.

“You stole this bike from your friend?” she exclaimed in disbelief. Mir rubbed the spot where she had hit him.

“No. I never said I stole it. I borrowed it,” he retorted. “Is that who you think I am? A thief?”

Turning her back on him, Minah smiled slyly. “Maybe.”

Hearing her response, Mir became flustered and stammered helplessly. “W-what? You really think I’m a th-thief?”

“Let’s just go and return this to your friend,” was Minah’s only answer as she swung her leg over the seat and sat down. When he saw Minah’s smirk, Mir slapped a hand over his face to cover the redness in his cheeks.

“Why do you do this to me?” he muttered softly while shaking his head. He didn’t say anything more as he got on in front of her. She automatically wrapped her arms tightly around his torso which made Mir smile brightly and his blushing became even more evident. Shoving his helmet on his head, Mir handed the extra one to Minah who let go of him for a second to slip it on.

The pair left the park and went to Zelo’s house to return his motorcycle. When they got there, Zelo immediately kicked Mir to the ground and yelled a few angry curses at him for stealing his bike. Moments later, he helped his friend back up and laughed at Mir’s shocked expression. He then went on to tease Mir about his newly acquired girlfriend who Mir reacted to by blushing and standing in front of Minah protectively. Zelo’s teasing never ended and he even shouted down the road as the couple was walking away. Minah had found the encounter amusing, it being the first time she really saw Mir interacting with a friend other than Joon, Seungho, and Cheondoong.

When the pair got to Minah’s apartment, Mir leaned in to kiss her only to be interrupted by the door opening and her father glaring at them. Minah was in awe by how her father seemed to magically know that they were in front of the door.

“Thanks for bringing my daughter home. You can leave now,” her father said abruptly as he pulled Minah inside and shut the door in Mir’s face. Minah was too shocked to open the door and apologize, remaining rooted to the spot by the door instead. Her father chuckled as he took a seat on the couch.

“D-Dad. Why’d you do that?” she finally managed to stammer.

“I just wanted to protect my daughter.” From the twinkle in his eye, Minah could tell that her father was only teasing her. “I’m just kidding. I’ve always wanted to do that now that we’re back to being father and daughter again. But, now that I stopped you from kissing your boyfriend once I’m done interfering with your relationship. Especially since it’s someone I know.”

Minah was about to thank her father for being so cool about her dating Mir until he cut her off.

“However, if that boy breaks your heart then he’d better be prepared to have all his bones broken.”

Shuddering at her father’s threat, Minah nodded. “Don’t worry Dad. Mir would never do anything to hurt me.”

Her father merely nodded and picked up a newspaper that was lying on the table, signaling the end of their conversation. Minah smiled softly as she cracked open the door to see if Mir was still there only to find empty space. A small sigh escaped and she closed the door again and went inside her room.

---

The next day, Jaesun didn’t appear at school. Minah discovered that he had transferred to a different university and wondered how it was possible for him to transfer that quickly. She didn’t dwell on it much; instead she was relieved that she wouldn’t have to see him in her psychology class.

Her day went by normally until lunch rolled along. She knew that Cheondoong would be there since he had shown up to their music composition class that morning. He had no idea what had happened the day before and Minah had decided it was better to wait and explain everything at lunch when everyone was present.

Seungho and Joon gaped when Mir and Minah walked into the courtyard together looking as if nothing had happened the day before. Cheondoong, who was sitting beside Seungho, tilted his head in confusion and wondering why his friends looked so puzzled to see one another.

Then, his eyes caught sight of something he hadn’t noticed before. Minah and Mir were holding hands as they walked, swinging them by their sides lightly. He hoped it didn’t meant what he thought it meant but Cheondoong had a bad feeling in his gut.

“W-what’s going on? What happened to Jaesun?” Joon blurted out immediately when Mir and Minah took their seats. “And why are you two holding hands?”

Seungho had been wondering the same thing. He felt a sharp pang in his chest even though he had resolved to get over Minah. It still hurt in fact it seemed to hurt more than it should have.

The one who was in most shock was Cheondoong. He had dropped the pair of chopsticks in his hand and they clattered on the stone tiles. His heart denied the truth with all its might but his mind knew that there was no way to deny it.

“It turns out that Mir was right. Jaesun was lying about who he was. Mir and I worked things out in the end,” Minah explained. She looked at Cheondoong who was still speechless. Seungho whispered a quick summary of what had happened the day before but Cheondoong’s mind didn’t register it.

“Are you and Mir dating now?” Joon asked.

“Yup, that’s right. She’s all mine,” Mir said with a smirk. He slung his arm around Minah’s shoulder and Joon beamed brightly, clapping.

“Congratulations then!” he cheered. “Here, I’ll give you my juice box as a gift for the new couple.”

Joon handed the half empty juice box to Mir who stared at it for a moment before taking it. He laughed and slapped Joon on the back.

“You’re really weird, you little baby.”

“Don’t call me a baby.”

Joon and Mir soon initiated a war and shouted insults at each other in a way that only best friends could. Minah smiled as she watched them, lost in a moment of happiness.

She was broken from her trance when Cheondoong tapped her on the shoulder. She looked up at him and smiled warmly. Her smile fell from her face when she noticed the serious look in his eyes.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, worry written all over her face.

“Can you come with me for a second?” was all he said.

Cheondoong started walking away and Minah hesitated for a second before following him. “I’ll be back,” she said as she scurried after Cheondoong. Mir and Joon were too wrapped up in their war to say anything but Mir nodded slightly. Seungho gave her a reassuring smile and waved.

Opening the door to a vacant classroom, Cheondoong held it open and allowed Minah to go in first. She thanked him and walked inside, standing a few feet from the door. She was still unsure of what he wanted so she didn’t say anything and waited for him to speak first.

It took a moment as Cheondoong gathered his courage. Then, he gazed into Minah’s eyes and inhaled deeply.

“Is it true?” his voice came out as a whisper, sounding much weaker than he wanted it to.

“W-what’s true?” she replied, her own voice mimicking his soft tone unintentionally.

“That you and Mir are dating.”

“Yes.”

Silence.

Cheondoong’s eyes never left hers. He gazed at her so intensely that she felt like he was boring a hole through her skull. She thought that maybe he was attempting to peek inside her mind and soul.

Why? That was the one word that kept appearing in Cheondoong’s head. Why him and not me? Why couldn’t I have been the one to get her first? Why am I always too late?

Because you’re never there. You’re always off being an idol, you have no time for a social life, was the only answer he could think of.

He had a moment of internal struggle and he finally managed to come to a conclusion.

“Then that’s fine. As long as it’s Mir, I’m fine with it,” he responded in a shaky voice.

Minah had the odd feeling that there was more to Cheondoong’s words and it suddenly clicked together, making her feel terrible inside for not noticing it before.

“Sanghyun-ah, I’m sorry. I don’t know what else to say. I’m sorry,” she whispered.

The way Minah said his real name lightened the ache in his heart. He reached out and pulled her to him in a tight embrace. Minah didn’t pull back but she gasped in surprise. Cheondoong held her in his arms and closed his eyes.

“Don’t say you’re sorry. You’ll only make it harder for me,” he murmured. “But can we just stay like this? Just for a moment?”

Minah nodded and remained motionless.

Just for a moment, he thought, let me hold you. Just for a moment, let me pretend that you’re actually mine. And then, I’ll let you go.