Plans

Without a Mask

“Yongguk hyung! How the hell do I do this?” Mir hollered across the shop. He was holding a computer part in his hand and was attempting to fix one of the customer’s computers. He had begun working at Yongguk’s shop not long after Christmas. His main goal for working there was to gain experience in the working field and also to learn from Yongguk so he could start his own business one day.

“I told you not to mess with the computers! Just take care of the register and check out the customers,” Yongguk growled. Although he was normally a laidback guy, when it came to work he was a demon. “Better yet, why don’t you just go home for today.”

“But, my shift isn’t over yet. Come on future brother-in-law!” Mir whined. Yongguk turned around from the computer he was fixing and raised a brow.

“What did you say?” he asked. Mir released his slip of the tongue and bit his lip nervously.

“I…uh. I said ‘come on the best hyung of all…Yeah, that’s what I said!” he said. Mir grinned and put on an innocent face.

“Good. That’s what I thought you said,” Yongguk responded. “Anyways, I can take care of the rest by myself. Just go home. Don’t you have any homework?”

“No. Well, it’s not due tomorrow so I’m not worrying about it right now.” Mir grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. With one last reluctant glance back at Yongguk, he left the shop. “See ya tomorrow hyung.”

Trudging down the street, Mir whistled a tune and let his eyes wander around at all the different shops. It was about seven o’clock and the sun had started to set not too long ago, the days getting longer as spring grew nearer.

One store in particular caught his attention. What should have been an antique store was now replaced with a new one. The sign was decorative, covered in an assortment of neon colors that stood out in the dimming light. From what he could see from outside, the store was merely filled with girly accessories as well as other trinkets. Curiosity got the best of Mir and he entered it, glad that no one he knew was around to make fun of him for going into such a feminine store.

There was nothing of immediate interest to Mir as he perused the racks and shelves. It was definitely a store that a girl would love to go into since it was filled from top to bottom with cute hair accessories and whatnot. Mir scowled at his stupid curiosity and was about to leave when a particular table with charms lying on top of it caught his eye.

His hand reached out and grazed over each shiny charm, feeling the smooth material they were made of. Curling his fingers around a charm with two angels, Mir picked it up and examined it more closely. The angels were both silver. One girl and one boy. The girl’s wings were colored a light gold color however while the boy’s was still the same sleek silver. Upon closer inspection, Mir could see that the angels were embracing one another. It was simple-looking, yet still managed to look beautiful.

“Ah, I see you’ve found the eternal lovers charm,” a voice spoke behind Mir’s back. He flinched and flung the charm in the air only for it to be caught by a small hand. The store owner gave Mir a smile and held the charm out. “Here, take it.”

She was quite young, looking to be about the same age as Yongguk or a year or two younger. Her hair was a raven black color, falling down to her shoulders. She had a petite, delicate-looking frame. What stood out the most about her were her blue eyes. Mir was shocked for a moment, finding it nearly impossible to find a Korean girl with naturally blue eyes.

“…Uh…” Mir was clearly at a loss for words. The girl smiled and closed his hands around the charm.

“You should buy it. It’s for the girl you love, right?” she asked. Mir subconsciously nodded, his mind automatically thinking about Minah.

“There’s only one of these in the world. My mother made it herself. She told me that when someone gives this to their lover, they’ll be together forever. That’s why she named it the eternal lovers charm.” The store owner began to walk over to the counter and glanced back at Mir.

He was now staring at his hand, the charm still clutched in it tightly. If I give this to Minah, we can be together forever? No, that’s just cheesy. She probably made up that eternal lovers crap. Mir shook his head but headed over to the counter to buy the trinket anyways.

I’m sure Minah will like it. It’ll be another charm for her bracelet.

“Thank you for your purchase, good luck with your girlfriend,” the girl said. Mir’s cheeks started growing red as he scrambled out of the store.

Shoving the present in his pocket, he headed home. It only took him a few minutes and when he entered the house his mother had just finished making dinner. His father returned home minutes after he did.

After eating a peaceful family dinner, Mir went up to his room. He walked up to his calendar and scanned it, looking for the perfect date for the plan he had been cooking up in his mind.

At some point, he had realized his feelings for Minah and he knew there was no denying it. Now, he was stuck with the dilemma of making a confession.

I should confess soon. I can’t let someone else snatch her away first. Mir tapped the different dates he had been considering then stopped on March 10. His birthday. Perfect.

He began to devise a plan to get Minah to go out with him that day. He was certain that he had never told her when his birthday was so that wouldn’t affect her answer to him in any way. In his mind he went over the plan again.

Pick her up at one o’clock. Eat lunch together. Take a walk by the Han River. Confess and give her the present. She says yes, hopefully. And then kiss her. Okay, good. Mir nodded, seemingly satisfied with the idea so far. The day he would confess was only a week away, next Friday, his birthday.

---

“Seungho, heads up!” a voice called out. Seungho blinked and ducked just in time, the soccer ball whizzing right over his head. Doojoon ran up to him and gave him a weird look. “What’s up with you today? I thought you’d be ecstatic for the first day of practice on the university soccer team.”

“Yeah, you don’t know how happy I was when I found out we went to the same college. I knew you’d be on the soccer team,” Kikwang came up and slung his arm around Doojoon’s shoulder. He grinned and nudged Seungho.

“Uh, yeah. Sorry. I just have a lot of things on my mind right now,” Seungho responded.

“Let me guess, it’s a girl, right?” Kikwang said, wiggling his brows. “Who is it? Who’s the beauty who managed to make the ice prince Seungho a love sick puppy?”

Seungho scowled at Kikwang and took a swipe at him, his fist narrowly missing Kikwang’s shoulder as he backed away.

“Whoa, no need to get violent. I was just speaking the truth,” Kikwang smirked. Doojoon rolled his eyes and slipped out of his friend’s grip.

“Anyways, I guess we can call it a day. Just try to be more attentive during practice tomorrow, okay?” he said to Seungho, patting him on the shoulder. Seungho nodded, feeling ashamed for losing his focus.

I just can’t get her out of my mind. I know I like her but I think this is getting worse and worse. She’s invading my thoughts every moment I’m breathing.

Slinging his practice bag over his shoulder, Seungho headed home. His feet seemed to lead him through the most roundabout way to get home, taking detour after detour. He looked around and wondered where he was but soon saw a familiar store coming into view.

It was the convenience store that Minah worked at. Knowing he should just turn around and go back home, Seungho still couldn’t stop himself from walking towards the store. He stood in a place where they wouldn’t be able to see him but he could see inside perfectly fine. He was almost tempted to go in there and talk to her. But, he held his ground and promised himself to stay out there.

Inside, he saw Minah and Himchan at their respective counters. There were no customers except for a guy with fair hair, looking almost like silver or a very light blond color. He seemed to be close with Himchan since he picked up a bag of chips off the shelf and threw it in his face.

“Yah, Jung Daehyun! What the hell was that for?” Himchan snapped, picking the chips back up and going to place them back on the shelf. Daehyun snickered devilishly and went over to Minah, hi-fiving her.

She laughed as well, finding Daehyun to be an easy person to get along with. It was the first time she had met Himchan’s best friend even though she had heard so much about him. Apparently, Himchan called him Busan’s Won Bin.

“I thought you’d like a snack,” Daehyun chuckled. He went behind the counter and started poking the register. Himchan gasped and immediately ran over.

“Stop! Don’t touch that! You could get me in trouble!” he shrieked. Shoving Daehyun out of the way, Himchan took his place back behind the register. “You annoying little bastard. Why did you come to bother me at work today?”

“I don’t know,” Daehyun said, shrugging. Minah smiled and shook her head, amused by the friend’s little spat.

Seungho’s expression softened as he watched Minah closely. He left, deciding that it was somewhat creepy to stand outside the store and stare at her. However, he was glad that she was making friends more easily.

Seungho couldn’t help but allow his mind to be clouded by the many thoughts and concerns floating around in it. He sat down on a bench before he could get into some sort of accident. Resting his chin in his hands, he stared at the space between his feet.

Over the past few months, he had come to realize not only his own feelings for Minah, but Cheondoong’s and Mir’s feelings for her too. Seungho’s intuition was sharp and he could pick up on the look in their eyes whenever they gazed at her. It reminded him of the way he looked at her.

This was a problem for him. Since he was a loyal friend, he didn’t want to hurt them by confessing to Minah. However, he cared for her too much to let her go. It was a conflict within himself that he had tried to overcome so many times but always ended with failure. What was he supposed to do?

A deep sigh escaped his lips as he balanced the two decisions he could make.

The first was to push away his feelings for Minah and to let Cheondoong or Mir take her. It would no doubt end in a problem of one of the two getting hurt but it was better than the both of them getting hurt. Yet, if he did that then he would be in pain himself. He had no idea when or how it happened, but his feelings for Minah had grown strong enough to the point that he could not get his mind off of her.

The second decision he could make would hurt his two close friends. It would allow him to possible be with the girl he loved at the price of his friends’ hearts. There was a definite chance for someone to get hurt no matter which option he chose.

What would be so bad about me confessing though? It’s not like she loves me back. She’ll reject me and I’ll move on. Seungho let the pessimistic thoughts fill his mind. He was glad that Joon only had a platonic relationship with Minah otherwise their love square would turn into a love pentagon.

Ugh, this is more frustrating than those damn dramas my mom is always watching. If only Byunghee was still alive. Things wouldn’t be like this.

Letting out an irritated grunt, Seungho ruffled his hair. He stood up suddenly and started walking again. He couldn’t stand not moving for very long. If he got his body moving then he wouldn’t be focused on his thoughts too much.

Halfway home, he came to a decision. With the fear of rejection in his mind, Seungho decided to confess to Minah next Saturday. He needed the extra days in order to sort out everything, from what he would plan for that day to what he should say.

---

I'm sorry to those who hoped the masked boy was Daehyun, but Daehyun had already made an appearance in the first one as Himchan's best friend so I couldn't exactly switch his role all of a sudden. Don't remember his cameo? Click here for it. It was really short, his name was mentioned once but still. Thanks for reading! :)