Strained Bonds

Without a Mask

There was a loud thump as a body fell to the floor like a sack of potatoes. A low groan escaped the person’s lips as they rolled over which in turn dragged the covers off the bed, burying the person beneath them. They seemed motionless for a moment as if dead. However, another grumpy growl escaped the person’s throat signaling that there was still a very angry spirit burning in the mound of blankets.

“ monkeys,” Mir muttered as he crawled out of the mess of blankets. He yawned and scratched his belly lazily while glancing at his clock. His eyes widened when he noticed the time and he yelped in surprise.

“, it’s already twelve?” he exclaimed loudly enough to alert his mother and cause her to come rushing into his room.

“Mir what’s wrong? Did something happen?” his mother asked worriedly. Mir looked up at them and smiled sheepishly.

“No, nothing’s wrong. I’m okay,” he responded.

“Alright, you better take a shower and get dressed. Joon just called and was wondering where you were.”

“Okay, thanks Mom.”

After she left, Mir threw his covers back on the bed and hastily fixed them to look somewhat decent. Then, he rapidly showered and got dressed. And soon enough he was grabbing his father’s motorcycle keys off the counter and waving goodbye to his mother.

Mir grinned joyfully as he swung his leg over the seat and sat himself down onto the motorcycle. It had taken a lot of time but Mir had finally convinced his father to allow him to use the motorcycle on weekends. Just before he was about to turn on the engine, his cell phone beeped with a text message.

We’re meeting at Seungho’s place to play video games. Don’t be late! :)

                                                                                    -Joon

Mir chuckled and texted back a quick reply. Then, he sped off down the street towards Seungho’s house. It would have taken about ten minutes but it had been a while since Mir had rode the motorcycle so he took a slight detour which lengthened the trip by about ten more minutes. Once he felt satisfied with the amount of time he had with his precious bike, Mir finally pulled up on Seungho’s street.

He got off and knocked on the door. Seconds later it swung open and Joon was standing there with a huge grin on his face. Without warning Joon grabbed Mir’s wrist and practically hauled him into the building.

“Seungho got Mortal Kombat for his Playstation! It’s so much fun!” Joon cheered as he led Mir to where Seungho and Cheondoong were lazing about on the couch.

“Awesome! I’m gonna kick your baby ,” Mir said to Joon. Joon glowered at him and was about to grab a controller when Seungho swiped it first.

“Hey, me and Mir were gonna play,” Joon whined.

“Sorry. I get to play him first since it’s my game.”

Joon stuck out his tongue and crossed his arms, turning his back on Seungho in a tiny tantrum. Cheondoong sighed and went over to pacify the boy. This allowed Seungho and Mir to take a spot on the floor in front of the TV.

As Seungho was getting the game started, Mir glanced around and noticed that someone was missing.

“Hey, where’s Minah?”

“I tried calling her but she wouldn’t pick up. I have no idea what she’s doing today,” Seungho responded in an emotionless tone. In reality, the fact that he didn’t know where Minah was or what she was doing drove him mad. He grew bitter thinking about the chance that she might be spending time with Jaesun, even if it was for a project.

I know she’s just trying to help that Jaesun kid but would it kill her to spend time with us too? But, I guess I shouldn’t be selfish. It’s her choice, Seungho thought bitterly.

“That’s weird. She usually doesn’t do anything on Saturdays,” Mir replied. He bit his lip and picked up his phone. His fingers lingered over the keys, aching to send Minah a text but he was afraid she might be doing something important so he placed it back by his side.

Seungho took a seat beside Mir and Mir rested his head on Seungho’s shoulder. Raising an eyebrow, Seungho cleared his throat.

“Ahem. What the hell do you think you are doing?” Seungho asked.

“What? I’m getting comfortable so it’ll be easier for me to kick your ,” Mir replied snidely. He chuckled and Seungho rolled his eyes in response. The game started and the two chose their characters. Seungho chose Sub Zero because he always enjoyed the idea of having ice powers. Mir didn’t care what abilities the character had as long as they looked cool so he chose Scorpion. The battle began and the two mashed the buttons on the controllers in an attempt to kill the others’ character.

“Hah, fatality! Take that Mir!” Seungho shouted as Sub Zero froze Scorpion and knocked him over, causing the ice to shatter and Scorpion’s body shattered along with it in a bloody mess. Mir stood up and threw his controller at the couch.

“What the ? You cheated!” Mir yelled pointing an accusing finger at Seungho. Seungho laughed and shook his head.

“I did not. You just at video games,” he responded calmly. The rest of the day went on much similar to that as the four boys took turns fighting each other in the game. It was a typical “guy” day which was usually rare since Minah was almost always with them when they hung out. The lack of her presence felt odd to the boys but the ones who felt it most were Seungho and Mir. There would be times when either of them would pause and look around the room as if searching for that one girl whose smile always greeted them.

---

Minah smiled brightly when she saw Jaesun standing by the ticket booth. She called his name and waved at him when he looked up at her.

“Jaesun-ssi. I’m sorry if I kept you waiting,” she said. His eyes trailed down her body and lingered over her legs which were visible because of the skirt she was wearing. Minah mistook his lustful gaze as a look of concern and smiled sheepishly. “Oh, don’t worry. I’m not cold at all.”

Jaesun quickly averted his gaze and looked towards the ticket booth. He didn’t say a word as he walked over to the man behind the counter. Minah caught up with him and glanced at the movies that were showing that day.

“Ooh, The Avengers looks like a good movie. Do you wanna watch it Jaesun-ssi?” she asked. Jaesun shrugged in response. “Okay, two tickets for The Avengers please.”

Pulling out her wallet, Minah prepared to pay but froze in place when Jaesun pulled out a few bills and handed it to the cashier. He took the tickets and walked away. Minah blinked once before scurrying after him.

“Do you want any popcorn? Or something to drink?” she asked once she had caught up with him. “I think I’m gonna get some candy.”

Minah looked at Jaesun for some type of answer. People walked past them and some brushed against them since they were standing right in the middle of the busy lobby. One person who was passing by bumped into Minah roughly and she lost her balance, falling to the ground. It seemed like the person was in a rush since they only mumbled a quick apology before walking away.

“Ow, stupid son of a needs to watch where he’s going,” she muttered. A hand appeared in front of her face and she gazed up at Jaesun. Smiling softly she took his hand and he helped her to her feet.

“Are you alright?” he asked quietly. Minah nodded and brushed herself off.

“I’ll be okay. I’m just not sure that guy will be if I ever see him again,” she said with a frown on her face. Jaesun chuckled and Minah blinked in surprise. “You laughed.”

Jaesun shrugged and Minah could have sworn she saw a smile in his eyes. “I’m human too. I laugh and smile. Although I think it’s easier when I’m with you,” he said. Jaesun stared straight into Minah’s eyes and she found herself staring right back as if in a trance.

“I never thought I’d truly smile again but you showed me otherwise. Thank you.” Jaesun smiled once more before getting in line to buy popcorn. Minah was stunned for a second, the unmistakable feeling of joy surging through her heart. She had finally broken through to him.

Byunghee-ah, I helped someone just like how you helped me. It feels like a butterfly is fluttering around inside me now. I’m really happy I could do something to help someone.

Minah lightly brushed her fingers against her charm bracelet and smiled softly. Then, she hurried over to where Jaesun was waiting for her. They bought their snacks and drinks and were soon sitting in their seats. Minah surely enjoyed the movie since her eyes were glued to the screen most of the time. However, whenever she pried her eyes away and glanced at Jaesun to see if he liked the movie, she swore that he was always gazing at her with a look that was hard to understand.

It wasn’t a warm type of look but the kind of look that gives a person chills. It was unnerving and made Minah feel like a prey being watched by its predator.

As soon as the movie was over, Minah shot up in her seat. “That was a cool movie, wasn’t it?” she asked as she laughed nervously. Jaesun stood up and nodded. Minah avoided looking into his eyes, afraid that she would see that look again.

“Is there something wrong?” Jaesun’s voice came muffled through his mask. Slowly, Minah lifted her head and her eyes met with his. She nearly sighed with relief when she saw the same old, neutral look in his eyes.

“No, it’s nothing,” she replied with a tiny smile. They walked out of the theater together silently. When they were standing by the bus stop, Minah turned towards Jaesun. “Well, I guess this is where we say goodbye. I’ll see you on Monday Jaesun-ssi.”

Right after she said that, a bus pulled up to the stop. Just as she was about to walk on, Jaesun grabbed her wrist. She stopped in her tracks and turned around with a confused expression.

“Wha-” she began to say but stopped short. Jaesun had removed his mask and was now gazing at Minah with an indescribable look.

“Wait, can’t we just…walk around town a bit?” he asked. “I really like you, Minah. I wanna get to know you more.”

Minah opened to reply when her phone rang. “I, uh, I’m sorry. I have to answer this first,” she said quickly. She turned around and answered.

“Hello?”

“Minah! You finally picked up! It’s me, Mir. We need you to come to Seungho’s place right now. No questions!” Mir said. “So, hurry and get your over here.”

Before she could reply Mir hung up. Minah rolled her eyes and turned back to Jaesun.

“I’m really sorry my friends need me right now. Maybe next time,” she said apologetically. She ran onto the bus leaving Jaesun behind. Minah bit her lip and let out a sigh. She sank into the bus seat and brushed her fingers through her hair. “That damn Mir. Jaesun-ssi probably hates me now. Just when I got him to open up too.”

She stared out the window and furrowed her eyebrows. The bus ride to Seungho’s house was about five minutes. When the bus stopped, she got off and walked a bit till she was standing before his house. Sighing one more time, she went up and knocked on the door.

The door instantly swung open and Minah was crushed in a suffocating hug.

“Minah! You’re here!” She heard Joon’s voice and assumed he was the one squeezing the life out of her. She saw Mir standing behind him with a cocky, satisfied smirk on his face. Her eyes narrowed into slits as she glared at him. Joon finally let her go and she took a deep breath.

Joon smiled goofily at her, unaware of the anger burning inside her. Minah marched up to Mir and jabbed a finger at his chest.

“So, what exactly am I here for?” she asked in a short, cutting manner. Each word was emphasized with distaste dripping from them. Mir wasn’t fazed and only worsened the situation by grinning. “Wipe that stupid grin off your face and tell me why you called me.”

“I missed you,” Mir replied simply. Minah scoffed and shook her head.

“That’s it? You missed me? That’s the only reason you called me and told me to rush over here?” she asked in disbelief. Mir nodded and smiled again. “Okay, I’m leaving.”

Minah turned to go but Mir caught her first by wrapping his arms around her waist. He rested his chin on her shoulder and chuckled softly in her ear.

“You’re not going anywhere,” he whispered. Minah froze in place and didn’t dare move a centimeter. She thought she was nuts when she felt every part of her body that Mir was touching sizzling with electricity.

Mir was suddenly pulled away by a furious Seungho however no one could see just how angry he was. Seungho had on a poker face when he pried Mir off of Minah; he looked like he was merely flicking an insect off his shirt.

“He called you because we were bored out of our minds without you,” Seungho said. Minah let her body relax now that Mir was not glomping her.

“Thanks Seungho,” she responded, smiling warmly. Then, she faced Mir again with a murderous glint in her eyes. “And if that’s why you called me then why didn’t you just say so? ‘I missed you’? You see me practically every day.”

“Oh, hello Minah. Glad to see you here. I really couldn’t handle all the testosterone on my own,” Cheondoong said as he walked down the stairs. He smiled and winked at her. Minah laughed and turned away from Mir, ignoring him completely. She glanced at the clock on the wall.

“How about we make dinner? I’m starving right now,” she said. Joon cheered and agreed enthusiastically. “You can help me wash the vegetables Joon.”

“Yes! Food!” Joon exclaimed.

“You don’t mind if I use your kitchen, do you Seungho?” she asked.

“No, go ahead.”

So, the five of them started preparing dinner together. Minah did her best to ignore Mir the whole time which drove him insane. When she asked for something, he would scramble to find it and give it to her only to have her ignore him and take something that someone else handed to her. This went on even while they were eating. Mir would ask her a question and she would pretend she couldn’t hear him.

“You know what, if you wanna be like that then I will too!” Mir shouted suddenly. He slammed his chopsticks on the table and folded his arms across his chest. “If you’re going to ignore me then I’ll ignore you.”

Minah didn’t even flinch and continued eating quietly. Cheondoong looked between the two and sighed.

“Can’t you two just make up? You’re acting like children,” he said.

“I’m sorry but he’s the childish one since he calls people and demands them to come over even when they’re busy,” Minah stated.

“She’s childish because she ignores people just because they wanted to hang out with her,” Mir shot back.

“Okay you two, that’s enough. Joon, can you take Minah home? Mir, take your motorcycle and go back home too,” Seungho said with a tone of finality. Mir gave Seungho a nasty look before getting up and leaving the house, not forgetting to slam the front door on his way out. Joon gently took Minah by the arm and the two of them left quietly. Cheondoong got up and patted Seungho’s shoulder before he left too. With an exhausted sigh, Seungho rested his head in his hands.

I have no idea what to do anymore. I feel like she’s slipping away from me, getting closer to Mir. And then there’s Cheondoong. I wasn’t supposed to hear that phone call and I guess I’m being punished for it now. Torn between friendship and love, what’s a guy supposed to do?

---

When the bus pulled away, Jaehwa scoffed and threw his mask into the trash. He watched the bus leave and cursed under his breath.

“Those damn friends of hers. They keep getting in the way. I need to do something about this,” he muttered. Scowling, Jaehwa stalked off down the street looking to find some way to relieve his anger and stress which most likely would amount to going to a club and banging the first girl he laid eyes on.

Just you wait Bang Minah. I’m not letting you get away next time.

---

Mortal Kombat, if you don't know what it is you can google it. It's a pretty gory game but it's awesome. :) And I'm pretty sure that the Avengers is not in theaters anymore but I don't care cuz it's an amazing movie. ;D

I hope you liked this chapter. Thanks for reading and please leave me a comment! ^.^ <3