Reasoning vs Feeling-Part 1

Oneshot Banquet

 

It's finally here !!! my lovely fan-addict's request!

Really hope you enjoy it because i know i took way too much time.

(((not too sure about the title ><)))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Pairing: Taemin//You (Kang Lynah) 
Genre: Romantic//Drama

 

The Auditions will take place Friday afternoon during the free period.

 

You smiled as you read the last line of the pamphlet. Your school was having auditions for the annual play but this year it was a slightly different play; the storyline focused mainly on dancing. You had been really excited when you first heard the news because you had been in a dance troupe since you entered high school; it wasn’t a dance group within the school so no one really knew about it or about your dancing. You hadn’t participated in any of the previous plays but in this one you would; you were graduating this year and you really wanted to keep some nice memories from high school. Your smile grew wider upon entering your morning class; you had the whole week to practice and you knew exactly what you were going to perform at the audition. 

“LYYYYYNNNNNAAAAAAAAHHH” you shook your head while chuckling at your best friend.

“What’s wrong Miyeon. Did you put the wrong earrings on?” You often for being so overly girly and attentive to such silly details yet you were like so sometimes.

“no. my earrings are fine and they match. Unlike yours!” she scolded slightly smacking your arm.

“I’m screaming because Taemin. Taemin is auditioning for the play!” she said with her biggest smile.

But it slowly faded when you gave no reaction apart from rolling your eyes.

“Lynah, what kind of reaction is that. I tell you that the hottest-most-amazingly-beautiful guy in the whole school is auditioning for the school play FOR THE FIRST TIME and you roll your eyes?”

“So? It’s not like I care. Besides, I doubt he can dance. All he’s good at is fooling around with girls and being an arrogant .”  You frowned and scoffed upon seeing him enter the class exactly as you finished your sentence and as the bell rang.

Lee Taemin was very well known in school. He’s what you call a kingka and he’s friends with the kingkas that graduated last year. The five of them are very close and hang out all the time; they even gave themselves a name: Kurayami No Chō. Since 4 of them graduated last year, they would often come to visit him and just hang out after school. They’re all still popular; all the girls see them as charming and most beautiful princes whilst the boys see them as role models. You on the other hand only saw them as a gang of arrogant, rich brats who took advantage of their wealth and beauty because, from what you continuously heard, they are beautiful. You’d heard many rumors about them but you were pretty sure they were one of those biker gangs that dealt in illegal matters and bullied little children; there were quite a few around the area; you didn’t live in Seoul’s best side. Besides, it wasn’t that hard to imagine Taemin scaring away a child, his face scared you already.

You shook your head and looked at the board, trying to concentrate on what your teacher was saying but thinking about Friday’s audition.

 

“All right gather up everyone! We’ll start the auditions soon so let me tell you how it’ll all go” Mrs. Yoon said while waving her arms.

Friday had come faster than you thought and even though you practiced quite a lot, you were getting nervous seeing the amount of people in the auditorium.

“Ms. Park and I will be the judges. You will all go one by one according to the numbers you were given whilst the others wait backstage. Let’s start then!” Mrs. Yoon clapped.

You were #19. You felt slightly less nervous but still; there were 34 other people auditioning and most of them for the main roles. You made your way backstage and sat down on the floor near a small box. You lifted your head only to see Taemin walking towards you. You were surprised but still kept a stern face as he sat down across from you.

“hi I’m Taemin” he gave you his usual smile. The one you saw him with whenever a girl approached him.

“I know” you didn’t mean for it to sound so rude but it did.

“heh..well I saw you were the number before mine so I just wanted to say hi and good luck” he chuckled a bit, his smile slightly faltering. He was holding the #20 card in his hand.

You felt a bit; a tiny bit, bad seeing his smile fade so you tried to smile back.

“Thanks. Good luck to you as well.”

And then you both sat there waiting for your turns. It wasn’t awkward since both of you were trying to calm down and concentrate. You could see he was nervous as he was chewing on his lower lip, his head snapping up every time someone was called for their turn.

You stared at him for a while, images of him on a bike with the other four boys going through your head. You never were face to face with Taemin and hadn’t once talked to him, but now that you did, you wondered why and how he ended up in a gang. He looked so endearing and childlike biting his lower lip and now pouting like that. You wanted to ruffle his brown blond hair and tell him he’d be fine.

Realizing what you were thinking you frowned and looked down. You just caught yourself thinking Taemin was childlike and adorable, this was absolutely unacceptable. You shook your head and was about to go back to thinking about your dance routine when Ms. Park’s voice called out the next number.

“Number 19 you may come on stage.”

Your heart started pounding in your ribcage as you scrambled to your feet and made your way on stage. You bowed and waited for further instructions.

“You may start.” Mrs. Yoon gave the signal and your music started.

And as soon as it did, you closed your eyes, took a deep breath and started your dance routine. It was a contemporary dance that leaned more towards ballet because that was your style. Your arms felt light as you turned and jumped and danced away. You opened your eyes as the music stopped and looked at the judges with a wide, bright smile while taking your breath.

“Good job young lady. You may leave or stay and watch the rest of the auditions” Mrs. Yoon said with a promising smile. She had seen you perform before (she knew your mom and once attended a show you were in) and you considered her being in the judge committee for the play quite a blessing.

“Thank you.” You bowed one last time and made your way out front to go take a sit and watch the rest. As you were walking to the front door you realized there were people sitting and watching the auditions. You had been so nervous you didn’t even see them. You froze for a moment and decided you didn’t want to be in the auditorium any longer and so you picked up your bag and quickly made your way out.

What you didn’t see in your rush to leave was Taemin; he had been watching your performance from behind a curtain. And all through it his mouth was agape in awe and surprise; he hadn’t known you danced at all.

 

The results were up by Tuesday morning and Miyeon had let you know by screaming at the top of her lungs as soon as you entered the school gates.

“YOU MAADDE IIITTTTT. YOU HAVE THE ROLE LYNAH YOU HAVE IT”

You managed to smile before she jumped on you in an attempt to hug you. You both ended up on the ground but your mind wasn’t there. You had landed the part; you were going to have the main role in the play.

Miyeon and you went to the results board because you wanted to see it for yourself. But as soon as your eyes landed on the paper your smile faded and you couldn’t hear Miyeon’s screams anymore. The only thing you could see was the name of the student who got the lead male role and you suddenly wanted to give up on everything.

Lead Female: Kang Ly Nah                          Lead Male: Lee Taemin

 

 

“Congrats on getting the lead role!” Taemin was in front of your desk giving you two thumbs up and smiling widely.

“yes…..euh what…hi? NO. congrats. Yes congrats to you too hehe” You wanted to melt into a puddle and disappear because you made such a fool of yourself.

You didn’t even know why you were stuttering and messing up your words. You had looked into his eyes and your brain suddenly shut off. You really didn’t understand why Taemin was talking to you or why he was smiling so widely or why you even granted him with answers.

“Well, let’s work hard partner!” he lifted his hand in front of him and it took you a few seconds to register he wanted a high five.

“Let’s!” you said as you high fived him. And suddenly, it clicked and you were about to scream.

You were going to be partners; partners with Lee Taemin, the boy you suspected of dodgy activities with his kingka gang buddies. You were going to have to practice with him, for weeks. You weren’t so sure about your decision to join the play anymore. You were even a little mad that he had joined too; it was your senior year and you wanted to enjoy it, not spend practice with a possibly dangerous fellow.

 

The first 3 practices weren’t so bad seeing as they were mainly information sessions about the play, script reading and group dance practice. But today was practice with your partner. Today was the first time you had to actually talk to him and maybe even dance with him.

“Hi Lynah. Do you want to practice our couple dances or the lines first?”  He was smiling again.

You flinched at the word couple but told him you wanted to practice your lines and found an empty table.

It was going alright since both of you had memorized most of your lines. Taemin suddenly stopped and looked at you with a serious face.

“Are you uncomfortable being my partner? Or…did I do something wrong?”

You were really surprised by his question seeing as you hadn’t said anything to make him think that and you really made an effort on just practicing.

“why are you saying that? Do you think I’m not saying my lines the right way or-”

“you’ve been looking down or at your papers or at the wall the whole time and you didn’t even once look at me. i….i was trying to make eye contact but..” he pouted slightly and looked down.

You chuckled seeing him like this, being so genuinely saddened. You were taken aback; this fierce boy who belonged in that gang was pouting in front of you because you hadn’t looked at him. This gorgeous lad who made all the girls swoon with a look was sad you hadn’t looked at him. You weren’t sure what you were feeling. You were kind of happy and slightly giddy that he was acting so cute when he usually looked so sure of himself.  But you were still cautious; you didn’t want to act too friendly with him, he was, after all, a gang member.

“alright. We can start over if you want and this time I’ll look” you smiled at him.

He instantly looked up, eyes wide and a big smile plastered on his face and you both started practicing again.

 

The following weeks Taemin talked to you more and more; greeting you when you had morning classes together and waving happily when you crossed paths in the hallways. He even changed seats and sat in front of you during morning classes. And from what Miyeon told you, he talked less and less with all the other girls. He would only nod in acknowledgement or give them half smiles. Their fervor for getting his attention didn’t diminish for that matter though; they still didn’t leave him alone.

You on the other hand were facing somewhat of a dilemma; you didn’t want to get too close to him seeing as he was in a gang and that did scare you but you couldn’t help but be nice to him because he was extremely adorable when he was around you. You found yourself smiling back, spending time with him before practice and even enjoying practice even more.

The performance date was approaching fast and Taemin and you still hadn’t gone over all of the dance parts. And so today, you both stayed behind during practice to review some moves.

“Alright…I think…we can stop...now” Taemin was panting and lied on the floor.

You handed him a bottle of water and sat down next to him opening yours.

“We still have a whole dance to learn and we’ve only got 1 week left.” You whined and led on your back one hand supporting your head.

You were lost in thought looking at the ceiling. You had been upset at first knowing you’d have to work with Lee Taemin but, looking back on all the weeks of practice you both spent together, you realized Taemin and you became good friends even though you still kept a cautious distance. You knew he wouldn’t hurt anyone from school; gangs fought between each other and didn’t bring innocent people into their mess. But you didn’t think having him as a friend would be too good. But all the girls in school didn't seem to mind seeing as they have united against you; even those you had never seen.

You sighed as your stomach made a loud noise. You hesitated for a few seconds but spoke up.

“wanna….grab a snack before we g-” you turned your head to look at Taemin only to find him propped on his elbow staring at you.

You stared at him for what seemed as the longest minute in your life, eyes wide and mouth slightly open. You blinked and shook your head when you realized you had butterflies in your stomach. You and Taemin sat up.

“so i..so. I was saying, you want..to get some snacks before we head home?” you were looking at the ground.

“yeah..sure..i…let’s go yeah” he stammered as he got up to get his bag.

You did the same and the both of you were on your way to your favorite snack place.

 

“These smoothies are so good” Taemin smiled while munching on his croissant and taking another sip of his mango milk smoothie.

“Im glad you like it.” You were happy he was enjoying himself. You weren’t always nice with him and you felt bad that’s why you brought him to your secret place to kind of make up for your previous behavior.

You had both ordered smoothies and croissants. You chose to sit in your usual spot in the back, on the table with the comfy sofas.

“So Lynah I was wondering if-” he was cut off mid-sentence by the buzzing of his cell phone.

You saw him smile as he read his message and wondered if it was one of the girls that latched on him during school.

“Hey are…are you free tonight?” he says his eyes lighting up.

“euh..wha..yeah sure. Why?” Taemin was surprising you for the nTh time tonight.

“I. ..i want to introduce you to my friends.” He looked down smiling at his plate.

You didn’t want to ruin his mood but being introduced to ‘his friends’ wasn’t your idea of a nice Friday night.

“i..i don’t-”

“don’t worry about going home, we can drive you back and I’ll bring you home before your curfew” he said looking up, giving you puppy eyes.

You made a face because one: you couldn’t resist his cuteness that seemed emphasized in your presence and two: you were kind of scared.

“well I don’t really have a curfew…I live alone so..”

“you….live alone?” his eyes were so wide it made you chuckle.

“yes Taemin. But my parents aren’t that far, they live in the village right before reaching Busan so I’m alright.”

“oh..well…do you want ..to go then?”

“..alright. but I won’t stay too long, I’m kind of tired from our practice.” You sighed deciding that spending an hour or so with his ‘friends’ wasn’t going to get you into any serious trouble.

 

The bus ride didn’t take too long seeing as you were already downtown but it did take you to an area you never came to before. It wasn’t shady per say but it didn’t look like the most popular hangout spot in downtown Seoul.

“we’re here!!” Taemin was really happy it made you chuckle at his childish side.

He pushed open a dark blue door marked‘Kurayami No Chō- Secret Haven’ and pulled you in before closing it. You chuckled at the name ‘Darkness’s Butterfly’; it was cute and rather mysterious. You decided to take off your shoes as you saw him do and fixed your socks.

“Guys we’ve arrived.” You froze. His voice was so different from when he was outside. It seemed, deeper? It fit him more you thought but, it made you doubt your decision to come. Why was he different now that you were in this shady looking apartment?

 

As you made your way further down the entrance hall you realized it wasn’t an apartment, or maybe it was in another life. There weren’t any walls apart from one in the middle separating what looked like a kitchen and dining room from a very large living room. At the end of the hall was a staircase but you didn’t reach it because Taemin reached for your wrist and pulled you down on a sofa next to him.

“The guys will be down soon. I’m really happy you agreed to come.” You could hear it in his voice. He was very happy you came, but you didn’t know how to feel about it. You saw a good friend in Taemin and you both shared nice moments during practice and sometimes during class but whenever you remembered how he was in a gang at such a young age it overshadowed all of your other thoughts.

“Hi there I’m Jonghyun but call me Jong!” the voice brought you out of your thoughts and you looked up to find a smiling face. You got up and bowed.

“Im Kang Lynah nice too meet you.” You tried to smile but ended up chuckling upon seeing his hair. It was mostly brown but the tips of his long bangs were a slight degrade of blond. It looked kind of funny but somehow it suited him really well. He was wearing black skinnys and a leather jacket over a white tank top.

“so Taem, this your girl heh.” He said eyeing you but you didn’t hear him as another boy appeared from the staircase. He was taller than Taemin and Jong and had long black hair that covered half his face.

“Hi there Lynah, I’m Minho” he gave a prince like bow, leaving you speechless.

“oh hi.i…I’m yeah..i’m Lynah hi” you bowed quickly mentally slapping yourself for how you were dazed.

“Alright, alright enough now, can we get some food.” Taemin looked slightly annoyed but you brushed it off.

He headed towards the kitchen and turned to you as he opened the fridge.

“want a drink Lyn?” upon hearing the nickname you felt them again, those silly butterflies playing games in your stomach and making you feel lightheaded. No one has given you a nickname before, not even Miyeon.

You got up and headed his way shaking your head to stop those butterflies.

“sure. I’ll just have cold water please.”

He handed you a bottle and opened a coke can for himself.

“Onew and Key aren’t home tonight. You’ll see them some other time.” He smiled, leaning on the counter that stood in the middle of the kitchen, taking a sip from his can.

You almost choked on your water; you hadn’t noticed he had taken off his jacket when you got in and that he was only wearing his tank top from practice. He was still a bit sweaty from practice and the hair that wasn’t held in his ponytail was sticking to his forehead. You didn’t realize you were staring so intently at him until Jonghyun came in.

“im going out for dinner guys, wanna com-…oh..” he looked at you with a knowing smirk, as if he caught you in mischief.

“nevermind. Im going on my own. I’ll get you take out Taemin. Bye Lynah.” He gave you one last smirk and left.

“o k. he didn’t even wait for my answer.” Taemin frowned in mock anger. “I’m not hungry though it’s alright.” He smiled at you and went back to the living room.

He sat on the sofa and reached for the remote control. He stopped in his tracks when he saw that you were still standing, your hands on the sofa’s armrest.

“are you ok? Oh..omg, are you hungry? Im sorry I’m gonna call-”

“no no. I’m alright don’t worry.” You laughed at how cute he was. Was it real? He seemed so grown up just a few minutes ago, leaning on that counter with that thoughtful look on his face and now, now he was being so cute again. Your thoughts were being jumbled up again and you shook your head to clear your mind before the butterflies made their way to your stomach again.

“I’m gonna get going Taemin. It’s getting kind of late and I need some rest.”

“oh…alright…” he gave you a small smile. You looked at the TV and saw that there was a clock on the wall next to it. It was not even 8pm; your ‘late’ reason didn’t mean anything, especially since he knew you lived alone.

“Thanks for coming. It really means a lot to me.” You were dazed again, he was giving you such a sweet smile, you only saw this one once before and it was back at the audition, when he wished you good luck. You had goose bumps on your arms and you knew the open door had nothing to do with it.

“i..i’m glad then! I’ll..see you then. Bye Taemin” you quickly left and closed the door behind you before he could answer.

You were confused enough by his behavior tonight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

AND THERE~

Part 1.....i had to split this in two because....it...it's very long lol.

i really hope you enjoy this and i'm posting the next part right now...if.i dont fall asleep (its...4am...)

sorry if there are typos, i reread quickly to make sure no major mistakes appear but please, PLEASE, do tell me if there are any.

im gonna go correct part 2 now and hopefully i won't fall asleep ><