Should I?

Lavender Love [HIATUS]

Na Eun’s POV:

*How long had I been crying here? No..I mustn’t cry anymore. I must get out. Class has already started. Hyun Joong must be very worried. There must be a way out.*

I look around the cubicle. The wall is too high for me to climb up. How? I tried the door again. It wouldn’t budge. *Maybe if I bang the door loud enough someone would hear me. Yes! That’s it!* With that I started banging on the door. “Someone please help me! Please!” Luck is on my side. 1minute later, someone open the door for me. It’s one of our school cleaners. “Kamsahamnida! Ajumma!” After thanking her, I quickly went back to class.

“Seo Joo Hyun, Park Jung Soo and Kim Hyun Joong will participate in the 400m relay. We need another participant,” I heard Mrs Park addressing the class even before I reach the classroom.

“I’m here.” Everyone turns towards me as I enter the classroom. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw Hyun Joong looking at me, worried.

“Kim Na Eun, why are you so late? Where were you? Why are you so drenched?” Mrs Park asked me. I sneak a glance at Chae Rim and Min Ji. Both of them smirked at me.

“Ok, get back to your seat.”

“Today we have selected the participants in the relay. However, we still lack one participant.” Mrs Park continued.

“I nominate Kim Na Eun.” Min Ji said

“Any more nominees?”

“Seonsaeng-nim. Kim Na Eun can’t run,” Hyun Joong told the teacher.

“This is the most important event. Why can’t she participate?” Min Ji retorted.

“Your mother discourages your participation in vigorous activities. What do you think? Na Eun,” Mrs Park asked me.

The whole class stares at me. *Why is Min Ji being like this? She knew what it is like if I do vigorous activities. But if I choose not to participate, she will think that I’m a coward. What to do?*

I look at Hyun Joong, he shook his head.

I looked at the teacher and said, “Seonsaeng-nim, I…can do it.”

“I’ll agree if your mother signs an indemnity form.”

“Thank you.”

After school, Hyun Joong ignored me and walks way ahead of me. I ran, trying to catch up with him.. When I reach him, I held onto his hand.

“What’s the matter?” he asked me and continues walking again. I catch up with him again.

“You’re angry.” I said

“You’re panting already. How can you join the relay? You’re sick. Don’t force yourself. You…” He signed and walk away again.

“Don’t you want me to be braver? Min Ji and Chae Rim want me to fall.” I said trying to keep in pace with him.

“Why do they dislike you? They bullied you?”

“No..No, it’s my fault…Will you help me? I want to complete the race so that people won’t look down on me.”

Hyun Joong looks at me and let out an exasperated sign.

~

I have a elder sister name Na Na and she has the same condition as me. Both of us need to take medicine everyday to stabilize our condition. Our father died when we still very young due to chronic heart illness whom both Na Na and I inherited from . Therefore, my mum, my sister and I live by ourselves in a simple cottage. Every night, Na Na and I will do our homework together in the living room and every night our mum will remind us to eat our medicine.

Mum came out of her room after talking to my teacher and asks us, “Who hasn’t taken her medicine today?”

“Omma, I have taken mine,” Na Na look up and replied while I continue doing my homework.

Mum walked up to me and lightly pushed my head, “Na Eun I’m always reminding you to take your medicine.” I quickly put down by pen and scooted to the coffee table to take my medicine.

“Omma. Na Eun wants a new pair of running shoes.”

“Why? Yours can no longer be worn?” mum asks as she start folding the washed clothes.

“Omma, I’m running in a relay.”

Mum stops folding the clothes and looked at me,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mum’s flashback:

Both the sisters are admitted in the hospital after collapsing suddenly. They can’t breathe on their own and requires the aids of oxygen mask.

“Na Eun and Na Na face imminent danger!” The doctor shouted as the nurses quickly wheeled both the sisters into the operating room with Mum crying and running beside their beds.

Ever since that day, Mom had taken every precautions, worried that her daughters will left her suddenly just like how her husband did years ago..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I’ve spoken to your teacher before. Tell her tomorrow that you can’t run. “

“But, Mum…”

“Ok, no buts. I’m only doing this for your own good. Remember to tell your teacher,” and she went back to her own room.

I look at my sister and she just shrugged, I took out the indemnity form hidden in between my books…

Later that night, I took down my piggy bank from the shelf and smashed it on the floor….