Personalities Part 1: Traits

How To Write a PROPER Story

So we will finally start getting into the details. The first thing that I will be discussing is the PERSONALITY of your character. To locate the definition of personality, please see Chapter 5.

I have talked about personalities a little bit already, however  I want to get into them in a bit more of a detailed format. So, I will be talking about specific traits ni this chapter and what kind of persona they fit into. I'm really excited to write this chapter, but there is a lot to cover so I am going to just get into it.

There are several different kinds of personalities; but in this world no person is exactly alike. Because authors try to make their stories very realistic, they try to follow that pattern. They try to make their characters as UNIQUE as possible.

PERSONALITY is one of the things authors (including amateur authors) use in order to create unique characters. But how does one create a characters personality?

Here's how: by picking traits that describe your character.

 

TRAITS
Traits create your characters personality and help you determine how your character will act. There are some traits mentioned in Chapter 5 however I am only going to go over a few. In Chapter 5, I mentioned that it would be very beneficial for you to create a word document with these personality traits defined, I am recommending that once again. The reason is because then you won't have to go looking for the definition later. If your the type of person who picks traits without even looking up definitions, I'd recommend that you start looking them up. You may come across a trait that you want to use, and don't know the definition. If you just use it without knowing what the word means than you might get stuck as to how your character will act. 

NOW lets begin looking into some of the characteristics mentioned on Chapter 5:

 

Couch Potatoe

definition: A person who spends little or no time exercising and a great deal of time watching television

e.g. "My husband is such a coach potatoe, all he does is watch television!"

 

Google has a very distinct definition for this word, and I agree with it. To define this word in my owns words, being a couch potatoe means you stay on the couch ALL DAY do nothing but watch television or playing video games, or doing anything that doesn't involve any excercise. This is a trait, a negative trait, that is often not used in stories today. I have seen "lazy" once and a while, but not couch potatoe! So this would work if you want a non cliche personality trait.

 

Hydrophibic

definition: someone who is afraid of the water (my definition)

e.g. "My daughter almost drowned when she was three, so she's hydrophobic now"

 

Another trait I have never seen EVER in stories. Hydrophbic can fit under one of two categories, (1) Dislikes, and (2) Traits. There's a difference between the two. If hydrophobic is a dislike, it has a little affect on the character. The character will still freak out over water, but she won't be obsessed with it. If its a trait, then your character will only think about their fear of the water...nothing else. Of course their life would be boring if they focused on nothing else, but the majority of what they think about should revolve around their fear of water.

 

...and i'll go through one more.

Over Emotional

definition: this normally refers to someone who becomes emotional often. 

e.g., "Your so over emotional!"

 

This is one of those traits that is normally seen as a massive turn off to other people. However, over emotional people feel more emotions than the average person and need to get them out more often than other people. Someone who is over emotional will normal cry a lot, get angry over little things, but that is normally balanced out by the tenderness of the their heart, and how much they love helping other people :)

 


 

So those are some traits that I have seen very rarely in characters nowadays. They all make good characters; whether humourous or serioues. Now YOUR job is to write a oneshot with whoever you want, but they limit to characters is 2. You must use two of these traits; each character must have one. After posting it on here I would like you to send me the link! :)

Comment if you have a question you want answered for the Question and Answer section. Upvote if you would like to let me know this is helping you, subscribe if you haven't yet if you would like to keep track of the new "lessons" i post. :)

 

P.S I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY BIRTHDAY NEXT WEEK XD

OH! One more thing, I'd like to announce a contest I will be start shortly. It will be a small contest; if anyone would like to contribute prizes, please let me know. I'll accept anything from oneshots to karma points :) THANKS! XD 

 

LOVE YOU ALL! XD