Questions and Answers

How To Write a PROPER Story

Please ask questions! I will answer them and post on your wall when an answer has been completed! Chapter 2 will be an introduction. 

Question #1: How Do You Start A Story? (question asking by Kyuna9)
Answer: With every person, this specific and very good question is answered differently. Starting a story can be a very difficult task, it's like being given a huge list of chores and not knowing where to start. Since it will be difficult to answer this question, I can give you a simple method in starting your story.

This is the simpliest method since it begins with the simpliest details. While creating a story, there are questions that need to be answered such as these: Who are My characters? What Is My Story About? What is The Main Conflict? There are many other questions, but these three of a couple of the basic. To begin creating your story, first begin by answering the first quesiton, Who Are My Characters? Pick a Pop group; whether it's B.A.P, Teen Top or I hope, SS501 (YEAH!) You need to decide first who your story will star. Keep in mind that this method, depending on the person, might not work for everyone. After finding a group, you need to pick a specific indvidual or individuals to start and play the different roles: The Lover, The Rival. Not all stories have rivals, so until you've decided, just pick the love interest. A lot of stories don't have a rival, but instead other problems like a horrible mother who has no interest in her son except using him as a business deal with arranged marriage, or amnesia which causes a temporary memory loss of someone close to them.

After picking the male love interest, you need to create your character. Keep in mind this...in real life, opposites really do attract. Most shy and quiet guys end up marrying really charasmatic and friendly girls and visa versa. So if you create a stubborn guy, it would be best to put some sort of annoying trait inside your main character. Keep in mind the word "cliche" which is a referance to the usual "Mary Sue" character that has been used one to many times. I won't get into cliche characters since I will be talking about that later, and it wasn't in your question. For now, I would use google to familiarize yourself with cliche characters and what to avoid. That way, you'll have notes to compare to minre when I reach that topic.

Now, begin planning your plot.line Make it simple and follow this sequence of events: Beginning, Rising Action, , Falling Action, Conclusion. A short list of questions to ask yourself when coming up with these events:

Beginning: What situation are my characters in? How Do They Meet? Do They Get Along? What's In Their Way?
Rising Action: What events take place that add to the drama? What twists and turns do the characters go through? How Can I Emphasize thier words and actions?
: What is the biggest problem that my characters face? How Does It Affect Their Relationship?
Rising Action: What events lead to the end of the story (or problem)? Are there any cliffhangers I can add? What Information is Reveal to the Main Characters?
Resolution: How is the story resolved? Is the ending happy or sad? Are the enemies or rivals taken care of?

The only thing left to do is find a setting and figure out some important details like character interactions, etc.Some people mix the steps up and begin with their plot and develop thier characters as they plan their story. All stories have little and/or major problems in them, whether you decide to use this method to create your story or not is up to you. Keep in mind that the whole thing with , Rising Action, etc. can be used for the entire story or specific problems! Just make sure you don't overdue it!

One last tip I can give you is to go somewhere where you feel inspired. It can be a certain place in your house with a notebook or pen, McDonals or even a Cemetary. I personally lik the cemetary because it's in the open and cemeteries are known to be places where you reflect and think.I hope I answered your question.

 

Questions #2 and #3: How Do You Hyperlink Text? (question asked by YukiBoo) and How Do You Add Video To The Story? (question asked by kpopgrape151)

Answer: This question will answered in the form of a video since showing is better than explaining.

 

Question #4: How do you avoid the use of too much dialogue and too little description? (asked by Strawberrycake)
Answer: This is a really hard question to answer. I found myself poundering and thinking about this for a really long time. For a writer, I too have a hard time with the balance of description and dialogie. However, I may be able to answer this question as I have discovered ways to avoid too much dialogue and too little desciption. First, plan your story AHEAD of time and plan whats going to happen in which chapter. 'This a pre-requisite (which means, something you should know and do before beginning) and will help with dialogue and description. Second, when writing dialogue, try outlining it first. So, an example of an outline would be:

Bob: So whats for dinner?
Sally: Are you seriously asking that question again? I've told you a thousand times!
Bob: But I'm so hungry...

As you can see, there's NO description, and this format simplifies things so you're not writing in an dis-organized fashion (which is important because you need to add description later). Now, add description or get a basic idea of the following: Setting, Character to Character Interactions, whats happening, etc. So the setting could be...in a kitchen, there doesn't have to be any character interactions in this dialogue and Bob could be coming into the kitchen (for whats happening). After determining this, try and write it down. Remember when adding description to use ti five senses which are feel, taste, hear, see and smell. This is why mine looked like:

The smell of pizza filled the air with a mix of cheese, pasta sauce and pepperoni. Bob felt his mouth water as he slowly approached the kitchen where his wife was rolling something on the counter. "So..." He leaned up against the post, thinking only of the pizza. "...what's for dinner?"

She turned to him, eyes fiery red like a flame in the fire. "Are you seriously asking me that question again?" Sally crossed her arms over her chest. "I've told you a thousand times!"

"But..." He looked towards the oven, the ravenous feeling that came with hunger was driving his stomach to grumble. "...I'm soooo hungry."

So. I hope this helps, it's another "method" LOL! Anyway, send me a message if you like additional help! I can always assist you in specific area's of your story.

Question #5: How do you make your apply girl group fanfiction different than everyone else? (asked by stanelyunique)
Answer: Alright, so I'll just start off by saying this...Girl Group Apply Fanfictions are NOT UNIQUE whatsoever. Why? Because they've been used one too many times and the style of writing is ALWAYS the same. On this website, think of it as the "cliche" story. The defintion of cliche if you don't know what it means is on chapter 3 which I've already posted. However, like I also stated in chapter 3, you can turn something that is cliche into something a little more original. I'm going to use one of my stories as an example (because i don't want to criticize anyone else).

My friend and I created a apply fanfiction last month entitled "Kpop Revival" focusing on SS501 and our idea's of what may happen if they find a company that will allow them to make music under them as a group (if you don't know. DSP refused to allow them to make music because SS501 went against their wishes of kicking out Kyu Jong AND their contract was about to expire...it's actually very sad). Keeping in mind it was an apply fanfic and there would be pairings, I stated that five girls would be accepted to balance out the boys awesome voices. First Part of this unique story: Rather than adding a new girl group, they are adding ON TO an existing one.

Second Part of uniqueness: The fans reactions. Most fans when new girl groups are announced on the website go all fan girly and say "OH MY GOSH! I'M LIKE, SO EXCCIIITTEEDDD!" I'm sorry...that's another cliche. So, I did the opposite...I created fans who, and in reality this would probably be true, become murderers because they're against it. Here are two examples. One teaser was an article, and because the comments on the article was so bad, commenting was disabled for almost every article after that. While one article, in which they tried the commenting thing again, got the exact same comments:

JungMinnieeeee || 4-11-2012 09:23:56 ||
I hate that some crappy girls are going to be near the boys!
They should go die! I'll murder them in my sleep!

dreamhighwithagoose'sdream || 4-11-2012 09:23:35 ||
I want to die...I'd rather them NOT make music, versus adding some stupid females
into the group! How is it going to be SS501 with TEN people? 

To add to the unqiueness, create comments made by the characters in which were submitted by the users and they can give their opinions. Then after choosing take their characters and either make them a part of the huge "I Hate You" group, or one of the rare girls who actually supports SS501's new girls.

Third Part of Uniquness: The teasers. People always write "chapter" teasers, but I did something COMPLETELY different. I used articles and even one was a video recording (or a written version of one) from the boys. All in the while, two of the five guys were actually against this decision ot add girls...here's the link to the teasers. Rather than me posting them, looking at them yourself would be much better:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/173578/4/k-pop-revival-apply-request-romance-shinee-ss501 

The teaser goes from chapter 2 to chapter 6 while the story starts at chapter 7 with the chapter declaring who the chosen girls are.

Other unqiue parts of the girls group apply fanfiction is only limited by your imagination, so don't go with the flow and try your best to be unique!

Question #6: How do you create an interesting character? (asked by Chochocoho)
Answer: I hope you don't mind that I took a look at at your story to see what exactly you were struggling with. And with that I can now answer your question in the right way. We all struggle with something, most people struggle with more than one problem when it comes to writing, therefore this isn't suppose to be criticizm, just me suggesting ways in which you can improv.

All right, so characterization? That was the word that you essentially used in your question (though I summarized it in when typing your question) and you are mixing up your words. Characterization is actually defined in google as this: The Representation of a character or characters on the stage or in writing, especially by imitating or describing actions, gestures, or speeches . This means that through actions, words and speeches we are able to get to know and understand the character much better. That is what your missing. The characters you write about don't have any sort of description as to what they're like. For example:

Roberto opened the door, sticking her hand out so the fresh sea air would brush against her skin. How she longed to be a pirate, bravely fighting the wanderers of the  sea and other pirates. "Arrr!" She mimicked. "I see ya got my ship. Hand it over if you don't wanna walk the plank!"

In comparison to this:

Roberto opened the door and stuck out her head.

Well...the first paragraph gives us some information about the character and what makes her unique verses the second paragraph that only tells us what she did. I hope this is the answer your looking for!

Question #7: How do you keep the inspiration flowing? (asked by allypolaris)
Answer: I was waiting for someone to ask this! And since it's a pretty good question I'll answer in as much detail as I can!

First, inspiration isn't always there! Which is one reason why writing a story or book takes so much work. You don't always feel like writing because it's either getting boring, or your story just not going anywhere. But there are ways to cure this! I'm sitting here already thinking of a millions ways I'd never thought of before...and I'll share them with you!

Way #1: Go for a walk and take a pen and paper with you. Try to look at everything you pass by and see if it gives you inspiration. This method usually very helpful and VERY easy.

Way #2: Listen to music. The type of music you listen to always depends on what your trying to write. Don't listen to a depressing song if you want to write something that's very upbeat and happy! If you need song recommendations, I have a ton! Trust me...I know through what I listen to, what the true meaning of sad, depressing, happy and joyful is!

Way #3: Combine the methods above. Go out for a walk AND take your ipod. Listen ot music and try to use both inspirational flows to get some idea's.

Way #4: Again it involves going outside. Just sit on your porch, on a chair or on the grass. You can go to the park or wherever you want. You could even go to Tim Hortons, buy a coffee (or what you usually drink or eat) and just sit there. Take your ipod or whatever you need, plus a pen and paper, and start to look around. This is like method #1.

Question #8: How do you make sure the story isn't going too fast? What parts of the story would you skip? (asked by valeralerieee)
Answer: That is a very good question, but one that is very difficult to answer. I've thought about this and now I feel confident that I can give you a very good and strong answer. If there's one thing I've learned as a amateur write, it's that every person is their own worst critic. You look at someone's story and because you didn't write it, you would view it differently than someone who did write it. Because of that, you're idea's and opinions would be completely different. Along with your first question, there's another in which I will answer for you, and that's "How do you make sure the story isn't going too fast?"

I'll start off by saying that every single chapter has a purpose and it's either (a) To move the story along, (b) plant the setting and plant apropriate events or actions needed to trigger a part of the plot    OR   (c) A combination of a and b. C would only be used if you were style your story like a drama, where a lot happens in each chapter, but still you need to pace it apropriately. So...now to get to the answer on how you make sure it isn't going too fast.

Not everyone plans their stories, but for someone like you who is concerned about pacing yourself apropriately, planning your entire story ahead of time is a good idea. Again, like I did in another answer, I'm going to use my apply/fanfiction as an example. What I found easier to do was plan the events that took place throughout your entire story. That doesn't mean you need to plan them in order, but you need to come up some idea's before you can write. This was because I had to juggle ten main characters but mixing up the readers to think that each girl was paired with a guy she wasn't actually paired with (since they are only aware of one pairing, and that was my character since I had said "I claim ________!". You first need to plan your story however. Go refer to question one in which I outlined a very easy and apropriate way to plan a story. After planning, I would suggest using something that is called a Plot Diagram (Or Plot Structure). You can click on the name to see what it looks like. It helps you map out major events that led to the main dramatic point in the story and then to the resolution. Take the events you planned and put them in the order you feel necessary.

Now, take your information from your plot diagram and plan a Chapter to Chapter outline. It would also be good to read some books by real author, or fanfiction on here, to get an idea of how long each problem seems to last. My idea would be that you should base off the how long the problem to the importance of that individual challenge. For example, If You Cannot is another story on my account about a young man (a Kpop artist) who falls victim to amnesia after a car accident. He was engaged to the female, but now he can't remember her. The Amnesia in this case, when he returns four years later engaged to her rival, is the main problem of the story and shouldn't be solved for at least fifteen to twenty chapters. However, giving hints out to the readers that his memory is slowly coming back is a thing that I should do.

This doesn't mean that the entire story is about a certain problem. Often when a problem is solved, there will be two or three chapters in which everything is fine before some other problem starts weaving its way in. Whether its always been there and us just surfacing, the after affect from the problem before or something totally new.

To summarize the answer to your first question, here's what I wrote: (1) Plan your story, then outline it chapter to chapter. (2) Base the first little bit of your chapter (presumably 15 to 20 chapters if your planning on making it longer) on the main problem summarized in your story syopsis and then unwind if from there. (3) Read other people's stories on here. I have some recommendations. Above all if you want to be a good writer DON'T read dbskgirl4ever stories since the english isn't there. Try mrskwonjiyong (click on her name to go to her profile) as she has some very well written stories, both rated and not rated.

To answer the second question, again it all depends on you. Like stated, every chapter has a purpose whether to set the scene or move the plot along. You don't even have to mention school at all. Simple phrases at the beginning of your chapters like "I could feel a chill as I started home that afternoon" or something like that without mentioning school is fine. It's not like it HAS to take place in school, so even the walk home from school or at her part time job is good!

I'm sorry the second question wasn't answered too well, I was focusing more on the first since there was a lot of explaning! Feel free to ask the second question again, I may be able to answer in better detail without focusing on another question!

OH! One more suggestion, you might want to co-author for a story to help improve yourself in pacing. I'd be happy to let you help me with If You Cannot :) Thanks for asking!