Chapter 11

A Missing Heart

The gentle summer wind blew softly. Even though it was approaching night time, the bright, mild rays of the sun bathed you in warmth. You closed your eyes and took a moment to appreciate the nature around you. You inhaled deeply, and sweet scents of nearby flowers reached your senses. Your natural reflexes caused the tips of your lips to pull up into a blissful smile.

You were situated by the tall, silver iron gates, waiting for Baekhyun. He had told you that finding a parking spot may take a while, so he dropped you off by the entrance and told you to wait for him.

“Who’s that?”

“Don’t know, never seen her before.”

Whispers of fellow guests brought you back to reality. You smiled and dipped your head back to those that greeted you.

“________!”

You craned your neck and searched around for the familiar voice. “Oh! Unnie!”

“YAH~!!” ChanRi took her chance and practically pounced on you when she reached your side. You stumbled back slightly at her strong embraced.

“I’ve missed you cutie-pie!” She exclaimed into your ears as she squeezed you tightly.

“...It’s only been three days...”

“Shush child~”

“Hey _________.” You looked up as the bright sunlight suddenly disappeared and was replaced by a tall figure. Chanyeol stopped in front of you, his hands were placed casually in his pockets. He flashed you his usual, cheery grin, and you smiled back at him. Your eyes trailed away from Chanyeol as your attention was diverted to the two unfamiliar people behind Chanyeol. Like Chanyeol, they were also dressed in formal, black suits. Their hair was styled in a way that complimented their appearance. The one closest to Chanyeol had an almost fatherly and mature aura around him as he greeted you. His eyes were warm and inviting- just his smile. The other had a large pair of eyes that was filled with innocent curiosity as he looked at you.

The first gave him a chuckle and a nudged him on the back. “Stop staring D.O., it’ll be uncomfortable for her.”

ChanRi finally decided to release you and stepped beside you to introduce the two new faces. “This is Suho, and the other is D.O. They’re both Baekhyun’s good friends.”

“It’s nice to meet you both. I’m __________.” You bowed.

“Where’s Baekhyun anyway?” ChanRi looked around.

“He went to park the car.”

She gave a disapproving tut. “Aish. That boy still hasn’t learned to never leave a lady by herself even after all those years dating J- oops.” ChanRi stopped abruptly after receiving a sharp nudge from Chanyeol.

 You eyed her interestingly. “Dating?”

ChanRi fidgeted with her necklace and averted your questioning look while the three boys subtlety looked away. “Don’t worry, I said something unnecessary.”

“Suho, D.O.!” Baekhyun’s voice came.

ChanRi looked away gladly as Baekhyun approached you all with the biggest smile on his face.

Your two new acquaintances pulled Baekhyun into a hug one after the other. It was obvious to anybody that the affection they shared resembled something like brothers rather than just friends.

“Let’s go inside first.” Baekhyun suggested. “We’re early and I want to introduce ________ to some people.” The others nodded and started making way inside the build. Baekhyun placed one hand on your back and guided you inside.

The dim lighting inside contrasted considerably to the natural sunlight outside. The large hall was decorated lavishly with flowers, paintings and banners. As you walked in, a huge white banner that hung boldly above the stage from one end to the other with the words “Congratulations Baekhyun” welcomed you all.

Circular tables covered with white, intricate tablecloths were scattered across the hall. Many of the guests were chatting away happily, all looking elegant and beautiful in their dresses or suits. To your right, you noticed two long, rectangular tables that were pulled together to hold the many plates of delicacies and drinks.

Baekhyun located your table. It was placed on the left hand side by the wall. On the table, there were nametags, written in elegant, swirly writing. You found your nametag, which was beside Baekhyun’s and ChanRi’s and was about to sit down when Baekhyun said that he wanted to show you around and introduce you. You obliged and followed him around the hall to greet other guests.

Baekhyun introduced you to as many people as possible before the lights suddenly dimmed and a voice boomed out from the speakers that hung on the wall.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen! May I please ask you to take your seats for a short moment before we begin!”

Clatters of footsteps and low scraping noises of chairs erupted throughout the hall as the guests headed back to their allocated table. You and Baekhyun did the same. You were close to your table when you noticed yet another two new faces, who were already seated beside ChanRi, chatting happily.  

Baekhyun dashed pass from behind you with a small excited gasp when he noticed them and swung both of his arms around the necks of the two figures, wedging himself between the two before they could notice. They both turned in surprise and wide smiles adorned their features as they recognised Baekhyun.

You reached your seat and Baekhyun introduced the two to you. “This is Sehun.” The boy gave you a shy eye smile. “And this is Kai.” Kai blinked and smiled too.

“Nice to meet you.”

Before you could say anything else, the same voice blasted out from the speakers again. You quickly pulled out your chair and sat down.

“Thank you all for coming tonight! Before anything, I have to say that you all look dazzling, especially the ladies!” A small wave of laughter echoed across the hall. “Tonight, we’re hosting this party to celebrate our young Baekhyun’s success for creating the first human robot in the world!”

Many heads turned towards your table. A loud, round of applause erupted from the guests. The boys on your table clapped enthusiastically and gave a few loud “whoops”.

Baekhyun smiled politely and dipped his head in thanks.

“I’d like him to put him on the spot and ask him to come up and gave a short, welcoming speech before we start off this party!”

“Ah, seriously?” Baekhyun chuckled as he stood up and made his way to the raised platform.

The hall was completely silent as Baekhyun gave his short but heart-warming speech. You could hear the sincerity in his voice as he thanked his team for their hard work and the support he received.

After Baekhyun had finished, the party officially started. Loud music boomed out from the speakers and shook you to your core. People rose up from their seats to the dance floor and some went to the food corner for snacks.

ChanRi stood up excitedly and pulled you up too. You gave her a befuddled look.

“Come on ________, let’s hit the dance floor!” She yelled over the loud music and began dragging you away.

You took an uncertain glance back at Baekhyun, who was completely immersed in a conversation with the 5 other boys and hadn’t realised that ChanRi had snatched you away.

“He’s going to take a while to catch up with the others! We’ll have fun without them!!” ChanRi assured you.

You two squeezed pass the dancing bodies and ChanRi led you to the centre. You stood awkwardly amongst the sea of people, unsure of what you’re supposed to do. ChanRi grabbed both your hands and swung them around to the beat of the music.

“Just go with the beat!”

You tried to follow, but still passed off as awkward. ChanRi on the other hand, practically drowned herself in the music. You smiled helplessly and secretly admired her cheery personality.

Half an hour later, ChanRi plopped herself down on her chair, completely worn out, but happy nevertheless.

“Phew,” she sighed. “Haven’t had the chance to dance like that for ages! My body’s getting rusty.”  

Your eyes widened innocently. “But unnie, you’re not made out of metal like I am. And only one type of metal, iron, rusts.”

ChanRi gawped at you in surprise, and then burst into a round of laughter, clutching her stomach as she doubled over on her chair.

“Ah,” she said a few moments later, wiping away the tears that had accumulated in her eyes. “You’re so innocent. I was using it as a descriptive term, not in the literal sense. So cute you~” She scrunched her nose and pinched your cheeks. “Shall we go and get something to eat? I need to restore the calories I just lost.”

You nodded and followed her to the food corner. She passed you a plate and suggested which of the delicacies were the best.

Baekhyun had told you previously that food was not necessary for you. Just a quick recharge was all you needed. However, you loved trying new things out, so you decided to grab a little of everything.

Narrator's POV

A pair of eyes focused onto you. The owner of the eyes emerged from the crowd and headed towards you and ChanRi. His tall figure moved smoothly across the floor, past the other guests as he approached you both, who were oblivious to his growing presence.

He reached ChanRi, extended a hand and tapped her on the shoulders. She spun around in surprise and her eyes rounded at the figure before her.

“JangSu!”

------

...I can't even say sorry anymore for being so inactive T___T

Maybe this GIF will make it up for my absence...

Urgh dammit he's so cute Dx

I have my last exam next Friday, so I may or may not update for this week...

Also, just asking, it's obvious that this update is a lot longer than my other chapters. I tried to be more descriptive...How do you guys find it? Is it too long? Or is it okay? I was going to somehow split it into two chapters, but then couldn't find a right breaking point :/ Tell me what do you think~!