Chapter 9

A Missing Heart

Camera flashes startled you. You blinked quickly to recover your vision from the bright lights.

You, Baekhyun and the rest of his team were sat down in a row behind a long table, in front of an intimidating crowd of reporters and journalists. Microphones were placed neatly on the table for each of you, as well as your name plates and a bottle of water.

Baekhyun had his hand wrapped around yours, resting on your lap. He had sensed your nervousness and hoped that by reminding you that he was there, it would perhaps make you feel more comfortable.

So far, all of the questions had been directed at him and his team. Yesterday’s preparation did not go to waste, as most of the brought up topics were similarly related. The team answered each question thoroughly with confidence.

“________,” A journalist called your name.

You jerked up in surprise. Baekhyun gave your hand a firm squeeze.

“Can you tell us how you felt when you were woken up? For example, what went through your mind when you opened your eyes for the first time?”

You took a deep breath and gingerly raised the heavy microphone to your lips.

“At first when Baekhyun woke me up...” you paused and frantically searched for suitable words that matched your memories. “I didn’t think anything at all. How do I put this...I felt like a blank slate that was ready to be written on. I didn’t know how to...feel, or think. But as the day went on, Baekhyun showed me a lot of wondrous things, and he taught me how to smile and think on my own.”

You stopped and stole a glance at Baekhyun. He gave you an encouraging smile, as if to say “don’t be nervous, you’re doing well.”

“________,” another reporter piped up. “How do you feel about being the first, ever human robot?”

“Erm...” you hesitated. “Good...?”

A wave of laughter erupted throughout the crowd. Baekhyun chuckled to himself and thought, “straight forward as ever.”

“Any particular reasons why?”

“I’m still new to this world and getting used to everything, so I’m not sure if I can express myself correctly. I’m not sure why I was created, but to think that I am the first...I feel, kind of...special...” your voice trailed off at the end, slightly embarrassed.

“Up until now, have you experienced anything that you are particularly fond of?” A middle aged lady asked.

You ransacked your memories.

“I like everything, because everything is so new...But if I have to pick only one...” Your eyes made a beeline to Baekhyun. He was in the middle of a whisper conversation with his team and didn’t notice your action. “I’ll have to choose Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun’s head snapped towards you. He looked at you with an astonished expression. He was expecting you to go for something cute like ‘ice cream’ or ‘hugs’, but never did it come across his mind that he, himself, would be the thing you loved the most.  

You gave him a tiny smile and turned back to the lady. “He’s been so nice to me even though I haven’t done anything for him, except shoot him with questions. He’s so patient and caring, and I’m really grateful that I was created by such a wonderful person. I hope he’s happy with me as the product.”

The lady gave you an affectionate smile, her insides warmed at your lengthy response.

“So human,” she thought.

Half an hour later, you breathed out in relieve. Baekhyun patted your back soothingly.

“You did well _______~”

“Really?”

“Yup, better than me when I had my first conference.”

“What was it about?” You asked, interested.

Baekhyun grinned. “Making you.”

“How did it go?”

“Terrible,” he said with a laugh. “I don’t really enjoy being in the spot light. I kept saying things wrong and mishearing the questions, but my team saved me.”

“Hmmm...” you pondered. You couldn’t imagine a nervous Baekhyun. Today, he answered everything so smoothly, and full of confidence.

“Anyway, that’s over now. We’ll head back to get ready for tonight. Some of my close friends will be going as well. They’ll love you~”

--------------

Can I just ask, if I update a previous chapter, like if I found a spelling error and corrected it...Do you guys get a notification? I've been wondering this for a while, and was worried because I read through my things quite a lot and sometimes will adjust certain bits if I'm unhappy with it...I don't want to keep spamming you all with notices of an updated chapter when in reality, I only made a tiny correction >__<

Enjoy and spam me with your lovely comments~!