Chapter 7

The Mystery of the Zodiac Killer

Aaron came to visit Gui and to question her. He knew that it wasn’t the right time to question her, but he was still an office. It was part of his job. He walked over to the reception ask. The receptionist looked up from her work and gave him a smile. Aaron knew that she was going to gossip about his looks when he’s out of sight, but he didn’t care. He was deeply in love with Gui and she’s all that mattered to him.

“Um…excuse me, do you know what room Detective Wu Ying Jie is in?” he asked, when the receptionist didn’t say anything to him.

“Let me check,” she said, staring at his hand. “Um… she’s in room 305.”

“Thanks,” he said, when he was about to turn to leave, she called his name.

“Detective Yan?” she said. Aaron turned around to face her.

“Yes?” he said.

“Um…I don’t think it’s the right time to question her right now,” she said.

“Why?” he asked, confused at her request.

“Well, she’s not talking to anyone right now. So, I advise that you don’t question her. I know that it’s part of your job, but she’s not going to talk. The Chief came earlier and she didn’t say anything to him,” she said. Aaron nodded and turned around to leave. The receptionist sighed and went back to her work. She looked up at him once more, before he got in the elevator. A smile crept upon her face.

‘Wow, he’s such a cutie. I wonder if he has a girlfriend or not. I’m pretty sure he’s not married, since there’s no ring on his finger,’ she thought to herself.

Aaron arrived on the third floor. He got out of the elevator and searched for Gui’s room. When he found her room number, he went in. Gui was sitting on her bed, while Chun was talking to her. Aaron walked towards them and smiled at Gui. She didn’t smile at him nor wave to him. He was confused by her reaction to him. It was like she had seen a ghost. Chun noticed Gui’s expression and turned around to find Aaron standing behind him.

“Hello, Aaron,” he said, trying to sound happy.

“Hey, Chun, Gui,” he said. “How are you feeling?” Gui just stared at him, with a blank expression. Aaron walked to her and touched her hand, but she just pulled back. He turned to look at Chun, who didn’t look at him.

“Aaron,” he said, pulling Aaron aside.

“What’s wrong with her?” he asked Chun, with sadness in his voice.

“Aaron, are you questioning her?” he asked.

“Yes, it’s part of the job,” he defended himself. Chun turned to look at Gui. He wasn’t sure if Gui was in the right state to be answering questions. He looked back at Aaron.

“I’m not sure if you should question her right now,” he said. Aaron turned to look at Gui and she was staring at them, blankly. It was as if she didn’t know him. He sighed and turned back to Chun.

“I guess you’re right, but we still have to question her by today,” he said.

“I know. How about this, I will question her and write up the report for you?” he asked.

“Okay,” he said, “but what’s wrong with her?”

“Nothing, the doctor said that watching someone die in front of you would cause to be like this. He also said that base on her bruises on her wrist, he predicted that she had been in that room for about 1-2 days,” he said.

“Oh,” was all Aaron could say. He didn’t know what else to say. He looked over his shoulders at Gui and left. He wanted to talk to her and hold her tightly, but he knows that she would probably wants to be alone for awhile. Chun watched as Aaron walked out of the room. He sighed and went back to Gui.

“Gui, why did you do that you Aaron?” asked Chun. Gui stared at him and then sighed.

“Ge, he was going to question me isn’t he?” she asked. Chun nodded.

“Yes, it’s part of the job, you know that, don’t you?” he said.

“Yea, but I wanted him to visit me, not question me. He didn’t even come to visit me, he only came because of work,” she said sadly.

“I’m pretty sure he wanted to visit you and get the job part done too,” he said, trying to cheer Gui up. Jiro, Calvin, Xiao Gui and Mao Di were walking into the elevator, when they saw Aaron walking out.

“Aaron, where are you going?” asked Calvin.

“She doesn’t want to see me,” he said, sadly. Calvin got out of the elevator and walked towards him.

“You guys go ahead; I’m going to talk to Aaron for awhile. We’ll be up there later,” he said to the rest of the group. They nodded and pressed the button to the third floor. He turned and faced Aaron. “What do you mean, she doesn’t want to see you?”

“I went up there to see her and to question her, but I wanted to visit her first before questioning her. I walked up to her and tried to hold her hand, but she pulled away from me,” he said.

“Aaron, I’m pretty sure she has a reason,” he said, not so sure of himself either.

“Yea, she doesn’t want to see me. Calvin, I wasn’t there for her. I wasn’t even being a boyfriend to her,” he said, walking away from Calvin. He followed Aaron outside and grabbed onto his arm.

“Aaron, I’m pretty sure you misunderstood her. She probably does want you to visit her, but maybe she’s just not feeling well or something,” he tired to comfort Aaron.

“Calvs, she doesn’t want to see me period. She didn’t even talk to the Chief when he came to visit her,” he said.

“What?! She didn’t talk to the Chief?” he asked, clearly shocked and surprised.

“Yea, she only talked to Chun,” he said. He freed himself from Calvin’s grasp and walked to his car. Calvin watched as Aaron got into his car and drove off. He didn’t go in until Aaron’s Mercedes was out of sight. He sighed and walked back into the hospital.

Gui was smiling, by the time Calvin entered her room. She waved to Calvin. He waved back to her. The Gui in front of him was different from the one that Aaron had told her about. He walked over to them and stood next to Jiro.

“Ah Gui, Aaron said that you didn’t want to see him?” he asked.

“I do want to see him, but he only came because of work,” she said sadly.

“Gui, why didn’t you tell him that? He misunderstood you and left,” he said to Gui.

“No, it’s okay,” she said. Jiro changed the mood by presenting her some gifts that they had bought especially for her. Gui was smiling and enjoying her friends’ company, but she knew that the questioning was still to be done that day. After a few hours of laughing and playing games, they left, leaving Chun with Gui alone. She sighed.

“Ge, I think it’s time,” she said. Chun looked up at her and nodded his head. He grabbed the folder that Aaron had left for him earlier that day. He opened it and took out a questionnaire that she was supposed to answer, since she was a witness and victim. He took a deep breath and questioned her.

“Miss Wu Ying Jie, where were you heading to the night you got kidnapped?”

“I was heading home, since Hebe was going to the airport.”

“Were you alone?”

“Yes.”

“Did you feel a presence following you?”

“No, I didn’t feel any presence of someone following me.”

“What did he do to you when he took you to that room?” Chun saw that Gui was getting uncomfortable, but they both knew that it was part of their job.

“Um…he…he mocked me at first. Then he got really…phy…sical. He touched…me…everywhere. He kissed me.” Gui closed her eyes, trying to get the image off from her mind. She felt disgusted and dirty.

“What did he do to the girl?”

“He…he…he did the same thing, but he slapped her.”

“How long were you guys there for?”

“She was there for about 3-4 days, and I was there for about 1-2 days.”

“Did he try to anyone of you?”

“I’m not sure. I know that he didn’t me just harass, but for the girl, I don’t know.”

“Did he say anything to you? Like how he was going to kill her?”

“He said that he wasn’t going to kill me just yet because I’m a snake and not a tiger.”

“Did she say anything to you before she died?”

“She told me her name.”

“What’s her name?”

“Lin Xiao Mei.”

“What did he use to kill her?”

“The same knife from the first case.”

“Did he make you do anything, you didn’t want to do?”

“Yes, he made me watch him kill her.”

“How did he kill her? I know that this is gruesome, but please, tell me how he killed her.”

“First, he cut a small incision into . He ripped the blouse that she was wearing to reveal her bra. He had the guts to unclasped her bra. He took the knife and placed it on her heart. He curved a small heart on her chest. After that, he placed the knife on her stomach and with full strength; he traced her body, causing her to bleed. The girl was already suffering from blood loss, but she wasn’t quite dead yet. He walked over to a bench and grabbed a glass bottle. With his strength, he killed her by throwing the glass bottle onto her head, causing her to die instantly.” Gui shut her eyes and tried to erase the pain. She didn’t want to relive it, but she knew that it was part of her job.

Chun watched her sister’s faced turned from bright red to a pale white color. He wanted to stop with the questioning, but he wasn’t done yet. He sighed and asked her another question.

“Gui, what did he do afterwards?”

“He called you guys.”

“Do you remember how he looks like?”

“No, I couldn’t make out his appearance, since he was mostly in the dark.”

“Last question, did he say anything else to you before leaving, or did he do anything else to you?

“He didn’t say anything or do anything. He just left.” With that last statement, it concluded their questioning session. Chun looked over the notes that he had just written down. He was glad that Aaron didn’t questioned Gui, since some of the questions are unbearable, even for him, as the brother, the couldn’t stand the killer to touch his sister.

“Gui, get some rest,” he said, walking over to the sofa where he was planning to sleep one. Gui nodded her head and tried to sleep, but she couldn’t. The scene from that day haunted her. In the middle of the night, she was screaming, turning and tossing. Chun woke up to her screams and rushed over to her side. She was sweating and burning hot. Chun ran out the door and got a doctor to help him. The doctor came running in and checked Gui’s temperature, but he couldn’t since Gui was moving.

He left the room and returned with a rope. Chun’s eyes widened, but he knew that the doctor must do what he had to do. With the help of four male nurses, they managed to tied Gui against the bed and stuffed with a cloth. Chun fished out his cell phone and called Jiro, Calvin and Aaron. All three of them rushed to the hospital when they heard that Gui had gone ballistic. They met outside and rushed to the elevator. When the door came to a stop, they rushed out to her room. By the time they got to Gui’s room, she broke free from the rope and was tossing and turning. The doctor asked one of the male nurses to go get a stronger rope. Ten minutes later, he turned with a stronger rope. They tied Gui to the bed and the doctor checked her temperature. Aaron scan her body and noticed that she was bleeding, due the rope burns that she had gotten when she was tossing and turning. The doctor left and told them to get him, if Gui act up again. They all nodded and sat by Gui’s side.

Chun had his head low to the ground. He couldn’t face this. He couldn’t face Gui’s outburst. Aaron walked over to him and placed his hands on Chun’s shoulders. He looked up and tears rolled down his cheeks. Aaron gave him a small smile.

“Aaron,” he said, “on the table, it’s the report that I had written.” Aaron nodded and walked over to the table. He picked up the folder and opened it. He read the notes and anger washed over him. He made a fist with his hand and punched the wall, causing him to bleed. Jiro and Calvin ran to their side. Calvin took the folder from Aaron’s hands and read it. He couldn’t finish reading the report. Jiro just stared at Calvin in confusion. He grabbed the folder out of Calvin’s hands and read it. When he got the part where the killer was harassing Gui, he stopped. He turned and stared at her.

‘Gui,’ he said to himself. He couldn’t believe that someone would do that to Gui. Hot, angry tears burned their cheeks as they watch Gui in silence.