Chapter 3

The Mystery of the Zodiac Killer

Gui was working on two cases, when she dozed off. The next morning everyone went to work to find her sleeping on her desk. Aaron smiled and walked over to her. He checked his watch and it read 8:30. He lightly shook her. Gui slowly opened her eyes and saw her boyfriend.

“Ahh, what are you doing here in my room?!” she shouted, causing everyone to turn and stare at her.

“Your room? Babe, you are still in the office,” he said, laughing

“The office?” she asked, turning around and seeing everyone watching her. “Oh my goodness, how did I end up sleeping here?”

“I don’t know, let me see, you never went home,” he said, still laughing at his cute girlfriend.

“Holy cow, Chun is so going to kill me, I promised him that I won’t sleep in the office anymore,” she said, panicking. She grabbed her things and ran out of the office, before Aaron could stop her.

“Ba--” he said, not finishing his sentence. He shook his head and organized her desk for her, when Chun came into the office.

“Aaron, have you seen my sister? She didn’t come home last night, so I was guessing that she fell asleep in the office,” he said. Aaron just smiled and went to his desk. Chun stare at Aaron for a bit and went to Calvin. He wanted to know where is sister is. He had some important things that he needed to tell her.

“Calvin, have you seen Gui?” he asked Calvin.

“Yea, she ran out of here before anyone can stop her. I’m guessing she went home, since she slept in here last night,” said Calvin, not looking up from the file that he was reading.

“Oh,” was all Chun said. He walked back to his desk and took out a file and a wrapped box. He sighed and put the box away, while opening the file. He had found a file involving the case that Gui was working on prior to the death case.

When Gui got home, she took a quick shower, ate breakfast with her mother and rushed out to work. On her way back to work, she stopped by a gift shop and bought a present for her mother, since she had missed her mother’s birthday the day before.

She parked her car in the parking lot and walked into the building. She walked passed Xu Xiao Qi’s desk. Anger and sadness washed over her. She stared at the empty desk for a minute before heading back to the office.

‘I will find your killer,’ she said to herself.

When she opened the door to their office, everyone looked up at her. She was confused on to why they were staring at her. She turned and stares at her brother, but he didn’t even her any sign of reassurance. She shut the door behind her and walked to her desk. As she got closer, she saw that there was a box sitting on her desk. She turned back and asked her brother about the box.

“Ge, who gave this to me?” she asked.

“I don’t know. It was delivered here,” he said.

“Oh,” she said, sitting down on her chair and staring at the box. She picked it up and shook it, but there was no sound. She sniffed the box and it had a weird odor on it. She took out a scissor and cut the ribbon. Everyone watched as she unwrapped her gift. All, but Aaron. When she was done unwrapping the box, she cut the box open to reveal something rather disturbing. Other women it he office screamed at the sight of the thing on Gui’s desk. She covered in disgust. When she recovered from the shock, she found a card with her name on it.

She opened the envelope and took out the card. She opened it and read it to herself.

‘To Miss Wu Ying Jie,

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you enjoy my present and last night’s surprise. Have fun with the present I gave you and use it well. By the way, have fun solving this case, because I’m not going to let you win the case. Be careful on where you stick your nose.

-Your worst enemy-’

 Gui slammed her hand on the table, causing everyone to jump. She got up and left the office. Everyone was dumbfounded by her actions. Chun and Calvin got up from their desks and walked over to Gui’s. Chun picked up the card and read it loud enough for Calvin to hear.

‘To Miss Wu Ying Jie,

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you enjoy my present and last night’s surprise. Have fun with the present I gave you and use it well. By the way, have fun solving this case, because I’m not going to let you win the case. Be careful on where you stick your nose.

-Your worst enemy-’

“Last night’s surprise? Is he talking about the killer that we found?” asked Calvin.

“I don’t know, but whatever he’s talking about, we must tell Aaron,” Chun said, picking up the box and the card. They walked over to Aaron’s desk and put the things down. Aaron looked up from his work and gave them confused looks.

“What’s this?” he asked.

“It’s the gift that was delivered to Gui,” said Chun.

“And why are you giving it to me?” he asked, still confuse.

“Look at what’s inside it,” said Calvin. Aaron took the box and looked inside. He looked back up to them with a disgusted look.

“Eww, what’s this?” he asked them.

“We don’t know, but read this,” said Chun, handing him the card. He took it and read it to himself.

“What?!” he said. “Are you saying that the killer sent this to her?”

“Actually, I don’t know. I mean, what’s the surprise from last night?” asked Calvin.

“Surprise?” asked Aaron.

“What does he mean by ‘last night’s surprise’?” asked Chun.

“Where’s Gui?” asked Aaron.

“She stormed out of the office,” said Chun.

“Oh, well, let’s get back to work, we’ll talk to Gui about this later,” said Calvin, walking back to his desk. Chun followed Calvin back to his desk, leaving Aaron there, staring at the card.

‘Surprise? What does he mean by surprise?’ Aaron thought to himself.

Gui went downstairs to the information desk. She didn’t know what he meant by ‘last night’s surprise,’ but she had a feeling that he knows that she was still in her office working on the two cases that was thrown her way.

“Good morning, Miss Wu,” said the receptionist.

“Good morning, Mary. Um…was there anything delivered for me last night?” she asked.

“Last night? Yes, actually there is something for you. I was going to send it up to you, but I figure that you were busy, so I didn’t send it to you. I was planning on giving it you to when you leave, but you never left, so I went home. Sorry,” she said.

“Can I have it now?” she asked.

“Sure, let me go and get it,” she said, leaving the reception desk. Gui watched as she disappeared into the locker room. Gui waited patiently for Mary to return. Five minutes later, she returned with a box.

“Is this it?” asked Gui.

“Yup, this is it. It kind of smiles though,” said Mary.

“Smell?”

“Yea, it smells like something dead is inside,” said Mary, handing Gui the box. She took it and smells it. Mary was right, it does smell like something dead was inside. Gui gave her a disgusted look and went back to the office. When she entered the office, everyone turned and stared at her. Calvin, Chun and Aaron looked up from their files and followed her to her desk. Gui placed the box down and took out the card. She opened it and read it to herself. 

‘To Miss Wu Ying Jie,

Surprise! This is your early birthday present from me to you. Hope you like it!

-Your worst enemy-’

Gui threw the card down and grabbed her scissor. She cut the ribbon and unwrapped the box. When she was done, she tore the box open to reveal something really disturbing, causing her to scream. Everyone turned and stare at her. Aaron, Chun and Calvin ran to her and saw what was on her desk. Their eyes widened at the sight of the thing. Chun took the note and read it out loud.

‘To Miss Wu Ying Jie,

Surprise! This is your early birthday present from me to you. Hope you like it!

-Your worst enemy-’

When he was finished reading the card, he slammed his fist onto Gui’s desk.

“Who is this freak?!” he shouted, Calvin picked up the card and read it to himself.

“Babe, are you okay?” asked Aaron.

“I’m fine,” she said, even though she wasn’t.

“What the hell is this?!” shouted Calvin.

“I don’t know, but do you think this involves the case that we are involved in?” asked Gui.

“No, I think this one involves the kidnapping case that you are re-solving,” answered Chun.

“But, that is personal. No one knows about it except for us, Chief and his parents,” she said.

“Well, Gui, I think that you should be that case on hold and work on the recent one. Remember, what happened to Jiro when he worked on a case that he wasn’t supposed to touch? He got suspended,” said Calvin. Gui looked at him and nodded.

“You’re right,” she said. Just then, the person they were talking about entered the room, with a grand entrance.

“Hello! I’m back!” he shouted. Everyone turned and stared at him.

“Speak of the devil,” said Calvin under his breath, causing them to giggle.

“Jiro, you’re back,” said Chun. Jiro walked over to them and saw the disturbing things on Gui’s desk.

“I’m back, but I did not come back to witness his,” he said, pointing to the things on Gui’s desk

“Sorry,” she said. He smiled and pulled her into a big hug, causing Aaron to burn with jealousy.

“Happy Birthday, Ah Gui,” he said. No on has called her ‘Ah Gui’ since Jiro got suspended three months ago.

“Thanks,” she said.

“Anyways, what’s this?” he asked.

“It’s Gui’s gift,” said Chun.

“You call this a gift?” he asked, pointing to the thing lying on her desk.

“Ugh, no, this is what the killer is giving Gui as a gift,” said Calvin. 

“Gui, don’t tell me that you are taking on the kidnapping case again?” asked Jiro eyes wide. 

“Yea, why?” asked Gui. 

“Do you know why the police closed it down when the boy returned home?” asked Jiro.

“No, why?” asked Gui, confused. 

“Well, they were like you; they were researching the case, because his parents wanted them to. They were almost done with the case, when they started receiving body parts, just like this,” said Jiro, pointing to the thing on her desk, “anyways, they ignored it and took it as a prank, so they continued with their search. The case was about to be shut down, when they started receiving threat calls and their family members started to disappear one by one. So, those that were involve with the case, stopped.” 

“And?” asked Gui. 

“I advice that you should stop with this case. I know that they want you to solve this case, but it’s not worth putting your life on the line,” said Jiro, just then the Chief entered the office. 

“Wu Ying Jie, there has been another murder, we need your squad on the case right now,” he said. 

“Got it,” said Gui. Chun, Calvin, Aaron and Jiro followed Gui out of the office, with other people. They ran to the car park and got in the cars. They the sirens and drove off to the crime scene. 

Xia Kou was walking along the busy streets of Taipei, acting like nothing had happened. He strikes again, and this time, it was a guy that he had killed. Satisfaction arose inside of him, when he heard the sirens of police cars throughout the streets of Taipei. A smile crept on his face. He had done another profound job with the victim. He watched as the police cars went by him and turned a corner. He joined the crowded people at a corner, pretending to be scar when he saw the body, but inside of him, he was proud of his works, when he heard girls screaming. He watched as the police cars pulled over and pushed their way into the crowd. 

Calvin and Chun took out yellow tape, with ‘do not cross’ and taped up the crime scene. The scene was not a pleasant sight. Xiao Gui handed everyone masks and gloves. They put on their masks and gloves and started to investigate the scene. Jiro was disgusting by the whole scene. He never thought that on the day he returned, he will be involved in a death crime.

Gui walked over to the body and examine it. It was decapitated, but she can still determine the kind of weapon used for the killings. She touched the wounds on the upper body of the man that was killed the night before. She noticed that it was still fresh, so that means that the person was killed right at dawn. She took out her notepad and wrote what she had discovered down. After examining the upper body, she walked over the lower body and observe it, but she noticed that the some parts of the lower body was chopped into pieces and was scattered around the place. She tried her best to observe the lower body, but it was hard since the left side of the lower body was chopped into pieces. 

Aaron, Chun, Calvin and Jiro searched the place for evidence. But the only evidence they found was the weapons that was used to kill the person and his wallet, with his drivers license missing. They bagged up the things they found and hand it to forensics. They walked over to where Gui was and stood over her, watching her every move. Gui wrote down some more things, before getting up.

“So, what’s the cause of death?” asked Jiro, still disgusted by the decapitated body. 

“Um…it’s really hard to determine that since the left side of this lower body was chopped into pieces,” she answered them. She caught sight of Xiao Gui and his intern Mao Di, walking her way. 

“So, Miss Wu Ying Jie,” said Xiao Gui, “what’s the cause of death this time?” 

“It’s really hard to determine since the left side of his lower body was chopped into pieces, but for the upper body, you can see that there are a few deep wounds on his throat. I’m guessing that he died from the loss of blood, but there is something really disturbing about this,” she said, pointing to the heart. Everyone followed her extended arm and stared at the heart. There was curved heart on the chest and a knife stabbed into the heart.

“What the hell is this?” asked Jiro. 

“I don’t know, but I’ll have to take it into the morgue and examine it,” said Xiao Gui, signaling someone to come and bag up the body. Gui watched as the took the body away and she sighed. They left the crime scene and went into the morgue to see what Xiao Gui had discovered. When they entered the morgue, Xiao Gui was looking over some files. They walked over to him and put on masks and gloves. He looked up from what he was looking at and gave them a thumbs down.

“So?” asked Calvin. 

“Well, the weapons have a few fingerprints, but they belonged to the victim. I’m guessing that the killer must of forced the victim into stabbing himself,” said Xiao Gui. Gui walked over to the body and observe it. Then she saw something that she didn’t even notice before. 

“Ah, look,” she said, pointing at a wound. Everyone gathered around her and stare at what she was pointing too. “He used a saw.” 

“Huh?” the guys asked in unison.

“A saw, you can tell by the cut on his body. I’m guessing that he used a crosscut saw or a ripsaw. Either way, both saws can be used the same way. What I’m concern with is what happened to the saw, when he left the other weapons?” she said. 

Everyone pondered on this thought. After awhile, they went back to their office and looked over the profiles that Xiao Gui had given them. Gui was looking over the victim’s biography when she realized something. 

‘This case might be related to the same one from yesterday,’ she said to herself, as she read his biography. When she was done looking over his information, she picked up her phone and called the Chief. Chun and Jiro was watching her every move and befuddled with her actions. Thirty minutes later, the Chief came into the office. 

“Ying Jie, you called for me?” he asked. 

“Yes, I would like to request an arrest warrant,” she said, causing the guys to look up from their works. 

“A search warrant?” he asked. 

“Yes, I would like to permit an arrest warrant for He Dylan,” she said.

“Why?” asked the Chief. Gui turned and look at Calvin with an apologetic look. 

“Because he is the main suspect for yesterday’s case, and I have a feeling that Xu Xiao Qi’s death is related to today’s case,” she said. 

“Okay, I will permit you a search warrant,” he said, leaving the office. Gui walked over to Calvin and put her hand on his shoulder.

“I’m sorry Calvin, but he’s the main suspect now. I know that he used to be your friend, but we need to question him,” she said, then walked back to her desk. 

By lunch time, she went out on a lunch date with Aaron for her birthday. They went to her favorite restaurant. 

“Gui, how’s your food?” he asked her, when he noticed that she wasn’t eating her food. 

“It’s good, but I don’t have the appetite to eat, after seeing the decapitated body today,” she said, silently. Aaron smiled and grabbed her hand. 

“Babe, don’t worry about it,” he said, reassuring her. She gave him a small smile and touched her food. Aaron was worried about Gui. She had gotten many cases, but he had never seen her like this. When he was done eating, he looked up at and noticed that she barely touched her food. Gui saw that he was staring at her. 

“Ah Bu, I’m sorry. I know that I shouldn’t waste your money and time, but…”

“It’s okay. I’ll just ask for a doggie pack. Babe, you shouldn’t worry too much about the cases that we are involved in,” he said, cutting her off. She gave him a smile and he called for a waiter. He asked for a doggie pack and packed up her lunch. After they were done packing up her food, they left the restaurant and went back to work. Aaron held her hands and she looked up at him. They entered the elevator and his gave her a deep, passionate kiss, reminding her that she has a boyfriend to look after her.

When they got back to the office, the Chief handed her the arrest warrant. She took it from him. She grabbed her things and drove to his work place with Aaron and Calvin. She showed the receptionist the arrest warrant and was led to his office. She handed him the arrest warrant and handcuffs him. Calvin didn’t want to watch this scene, but he knew that Gui only wanted to question him. They took him to the car and put him in the back seat with Calvin. Gui looked back and saw that Calvin was in a bad mood. 

“Mr. He Dylan, we are arresting you for questioning and from keeping you safe,” she said. He just looked at her in confusion. Calvin turned and stares at her. 

“What do you mean keeping me safe?” asked Dylan. 

“Well, the killer has strike again, and you’re the main suspect for Xu Xiao Qi’s death,” she said. He was silent. In his heart he knew that he didn’t kill her, but he also know that being her boyfriend he was the biggest suspect. They arrived at the office and Gui started questioning him. He tried his best to answer her questions. When they were done, she asked him to hand over his house keys and told him to stay with Calvin. She also told him to come to work with Calvin everyday and as for his work and family, she will inform them. He agreed to Gui’s suggestions and he wanted to take part, since he didn’t want to be seen as a killer. He wanted to prove his innocence.