Chapter 6

The Mystery of the Zodiac Killer

Chun woke up the next morning to the smell of breakfast. He smiled and got dressed. He went downstairs and ate his breakfast. The house was rather peaceful and quiet, just the way he likes it. He was wondering if Gui was having a wonderful time with Aaron. He sighed.

‘Aaron, better not hurt Gui,’ he said to himself. A smile crept across his face. It was going to be Gui’s first time. What was he thinking? He should be protecting her, not let Aaron take it about from her, but then again, he trust both of them, and plus Gui was old enough to take care of herself.

When he was almost done with breakfast, his parents came downstairs. He was shock to see them home. They were usually at the hospital. He smiled at them. Workaholics. It must run in the family, because Gui was just like them. She was also a workaholic; there were times when she slept in her office at the station. His parents sat opposite him and ate their breakfast. His mother looked around for Gui.

“Where’s Gui?” she asked.

“She’s on a vacation with Aaron. He took her to his beach house,” Chun said, picking up the newspaper.

“Really? When will she be back?” his father asked him without looking up from his food.

“Tomorrow afternoon,” he said.

“Okay, when she comes back, make sure she doesn’t go anywhere for the next two weeks,” he said. Chun stared at him with suspicious.

“Why?” he asked, raising his eyebrows. His mother just smiled at him.

“Because we are going on a vacation, just us four,” his father answered his question.

“Vacation? As a family? Wow, I haven’t been on a vacation for awhile, but I’m not sure if we can go though,” he said, sadly. His father looked up from his food and stared at Chun, confused.

“Why not?” his mother asked.

“Well, we are on a serial killer case right now, and if we took two weeks off, then Gui would be behind,” he said, “and you know, Gui’s a workaholic. She won’t agree to it.”

“Serial killer?!” his mother shouted.

“Yea, but don’t worry. We are keeping her safe. Oh, by the way, Jiro’s back from suspension,” he said.

“That’s good. You better watch after your sister. She’s all we’ve got,” his father said, sternly.

“Okay, okay, I know. She’s the jewel in this family,” he said. He watched as his parents finished their food. He was surprised that they weren’t fat, the way they eat, but then again, his parents are always on the run. They are doctors and they are always never home. It was rare to see them at home.

“Well, we have to leave now, but don’t forget to remind your sister,” said his father.

“Okay, but I still doubt that she’s up for it!” he yelled out after his father. His mother waved to him and got inside the car. Chun watched as his parents’ car disappears from sight. He sighed. He was glad to have breakfast with his parents, but too bad Gui wasn’t there to enjoy breakfast with them. He went back inside and flipped through the channel.

Aaron woke up and got dressed. He was bored out of his mind. He tried calling Gui but she wouldn’t pick up her calls. He decided to go to the beach house for awhile, since Gui’s probably with Hebe. He got out of his house and walked to his driveway. He opened his car and got in. He pulled out of the driveway and hit the road to his beach house. Maybe he could find something to do at his beach house.

Gui didn’t know when she had fallen asleep, but the slamming of the door woke her up. The killer came in and pulled the curtains apart, revealing the sun. Gui closed her eyes and opened them again, once she got used to seeing light. It felt like an eternity for her. The killer smiled and walked over to her. He her hair and kissed her on the forehead. Gui rolled her eyes, when the killer turned around and walked to Xiao Mei.

He touched her s and kissed her lips. When she didn’t respond back to his kiss, he pulled away and slapped her across the face. Gui’s eyes widened. Xiao Mei yelped in pain, but the killer just laughed at her.

“It’s your day to die,” he said. When Gui heard this, she turned white. She couldn’t believe it. He was going to kill the girl in front of her. Once she realized this, she felt nauseous. Even though she had seen many dead bodies, she had never seen anyone died in front of her. The killer laughed when he saw Gui’s reaction. Apparently, the killer was enjoying this. He walked over to Gui and leaned in. He was by her ear.

“Don’t worry, I’m not going to kill her just yet. Maybe on tomorrow, today is Sunday, it’s supposed to be a holy day,” he said. Gui’s anger was rising, but she didn’t let it show. She was afraid that he would do something to her. He kissed her once more, before leaving them alone, once again. Gui stared at the girl, but she was no different from the day before. Pale and covered in blood. Gui sighed and turned her gaze to the ground. She couldn’t stand looking at the blood on the girl.

Morning, Chun woke up early and went to work. He was expecting to hear the good news and the progress of Aaron’s and Gui’s weekend. He didn’t know why, but he was excited to see them. He parked his car in the parking lot and walked into the office. He walked over to his desk and waited for Aaron to show up. A few minutes later, Calvin and Jiro came in with Xiao Gui and Mao Di. They walked over to Chun.

“Aaron’s not here yet?” they asked in unison, well, except for Mao Di. He was concentrating on the book that he was reading.

“Nope, not yet,” said Chun, with a grin.

“I bet you, they are too tired to come today,” Jiro joked, even though he was burning with jealousy. He was envious of Aaron and Gui. He had longed for a relationship like theirs, but he wasn’t sure if he can start dating after the misunderstanding that had caused him to be suspended. He sighed.

“Why are you sighing?” asked Aaron, who was behind him. Everyone jumped and turned around. They had not heard him come in.

“Dude, why were you sneaking up on me and where’s Gui?” asked Jiro.

“Gui? She’s not here yet?” Aaron asked, shocked.

“Er, wasn’t she supposed to be with you at your beach house?” Chun asked, obviously he was confused.

“Yea, but when she saw Hebe, she didn’t call me or anything. So, I thought that she wanted to spend time with Hebe, so I went to the beach house by myself,” he said, confused by everything.

“Well, Hebe left the day we saw her,” said Calvin.

“Wait? What?” asked Aaron, surprised.

“Yea, she said that she had her father lied, because she was leaving the same day,” explained Jiro.

“If she was to leave on the same day, and Gui’s not with Aaron, then where’s Gui?” asked Chun.

“I don’t know,” said Aaron. “Where did they go?”

“They went to Hebe’s favorite restaurant,” said Calvin.

“Didn’t you guys go with them?” Aaron asked.

“No, because they wouldn’t let us,” responded Jiro.

“Oh,” was all that came out from Aaron’s mouth. Chun fished out his cell and dialed Gui’s number, but he was forwarded to voicemail. He tried again, but he got the same response. He began to worry about his sister. He thought that she was with the whole time and now that she’s not with him, where can she be? Everyone went back to their desk and thought about the possible places where Gui can go. When they can’t think of anything, they sighed and busied themselves. Aaron kept on checking his phone, but there was no miss calls from Gui. He was really worried about her. Even though he didn’t want to think about the bad things that could happen to Gui, they were in his mind. He couldn’t concentrate, so he left their office and went to find his uncle, the Chief of their station.

He entered his uncles office and walked towards him. His uncle was surprised to him in his office. Aaron was always never at his uncle’s office.

“Why, Aaron, what a surprise to see you here? What do you need?” he asked.

“Um…I would like to report a missing person,” he said, unsure of himself.

“And who would that be?” he asked. Aaron hesitated for a moment, but he was able to pull himself together.

“Wu Ying Jie,” he whispered.

“Wu Ying Jie? I thought that you two were going to your beach house?” he asked, surprised.

“Um…no. Hebe was here, so I ended up going by myself. I didn’t know that Hebe was only here for one day, and now she’s missing,” he explained to his uncle.

“Okay, I’ll report her as missing,” he said. He picked up his phone and made a call. Aaron bowed and walked away. He was at the door of their office when a siren was heard over the building. Everyone stopped what they were doing to listen to the announcement.

‘Attention, this is Chief Tian. Detective Wu Ying Jie has gone missing. I repeat, Detective Wu Ying Jie has gone missing. The search squad, please head out and look for her. Search squad please head out and look for her.’

The siren was gone and everyone began to panic. Aaron sighed and walked into the office. Everyone looked up from what they were doing and stared at him with sympathy in their eyes. They all knew that Aaron loved Gui and to find her missing was a big blow for him. Chun gave Aaron an encouraging smile, hoping that it will cheer up his best friend. Aaron feigned a smile back at Chun and walked quietly to his desk.

The killer came back into the room, and this time, with a knife. Gui knew that it was Monday, since he said that he was going to kill Lin Xiao Mei on Monday. The killer walked over to Gui and placed the knife on her neck. He took off the mask and kissed Gui’s lips. She didn’t fight back, because she was afraid that he would cut her if she made a move. She shut her eyes tightly and prayed for the kiss to end. After what seemed like forever, the killer pulled away from her and laughed. He walked over to Lin Xiao Mei and did the same thing. He her hair and gave her a big grin. Lin Xiao Mei was scared, but she didn’t dare fight back, like she usually does.

“Miss Wu Ying Jie, please watch this show,” he said. He placed the knife on Lin Xiao Mei’s neck. Gui’s eyes widened, but she didn’t dare move. She just watched as the killer cut a small incision into . Lin Xiao Mei screamed in pain, but the killer didn’t care. He took the knife and placed it on her chest. He ripped Xiao Mei’s blouse to reveal her bra and chest. He smiled and unclasped the bra, to reveal her s. Gui turned around, but she felt cold hands around her face.

“You must watch this show or else, I’ll have to sacrifice you too,” he whispered into her ears. She nodded her head and did what she was told. She kept her eyes on them. He killer went back to Lin Xiao Mei and placed the knife over her heart. He curved a little heart just above her and the blood. Xiao Mei screamed once again in pain. Gui couldn’t watch the scene, but she knew that if she didn’t, he would kill her too. An evil grin form upon his lips as he placed the knife unto her stomach. He pushed on the knife heard, as he traced around her body, causing her to scream. Gui saw blood spilling over the girl. She shut her eyes, but quickly opens them again. She knew that the girl will die from the huge amount of blood loss. The killer walked over to a bench and grabbed a glass bottle. He stood next to the girl and threw the bottle onto the girl’s head, causing her to die instantly. Blood was dripping from her tilted head. The killer walked over to Gui and leaned into close to her.

“Don’t worry, I’m letting you go, but first they must find you,” he said. He fished out his cell phone and dialed a number. He looked back at Gui and smiled. “Hello, is this the police station. Yes, I am calling for suspicion of a girl being murdered at an old cigar factory. Yes, yes. I’ll give you the address. Yes, it’s at xxxxxxxx. Okay, yes. Me? I’m just a passerby. I was on my way to work, when I heard a scream coming from the factory. Okay, no problem. Bye.” He hung up the phone and waved to Gui, shutting the door behind him. Gui kept her gaze to the dead body. Anger and sadness washed over her. She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to safe the girl, but she couldn’t. She couldn’t do anything but watch her die. Hot tears burned her skin.

Thirty minutes later, she heard sirens from outside. She wanted to scream, but she had lost her voice. She heard people searching the place for the dead body. Ten minutes later, she heard the door slammed open. She saw Aaron, Jiro, Chun and Calvin rushing in with backup. They didn’t take notice of her; instead they rushed over to the dead body. She wanted to tell them that she was there, but she couldn’t regain her voice.

“Xiao Gui,” she heard Calvin said. “What do you think the cause of death is?” Gui saw Xiao Gui observe to body. Even he was at a loss for words. Gui wanted to tell them the cause of death, but she couldn’t talk. It was as if she was a mute. Xiao Gui pondered at the thought of her death. Gui was feeling helpless, when she thought of something. She started moving her chair, causing everyone to turn her way. She was glad that she had caught their attention. Chun looked closely and recognized the figure in the shadow. It was Gui. He ran up to her and tried to untie her. He was able to untie her legs. He called for help. Five minutes later, they were able to free Gui from the chair. She walked over to the dead body and closed her eyes for her. Aaron watched as Gui took off her sweater and covered up the girl. Tears rolled down her cheeks, as she mumbled an apology to the girl. She signaled them to take the girl to the morgue.

“Gui, are you okay?” asked Chun. Gui didn’t even deny the fact that she wasn’t. She hugged him and cried into his chest. He didn’t care if she wetted his clothes. He was sure that she was scared. He wrapped his arms around her and noticed that she was freezing cold. He pulled her away and took off his sweater and helped her put it on. Aaron wanted to be the one that Gui can cry too, but he knew that Chun would be able to comfort Gui in a time like this. Jiro patted his shoulders, reassuring him that she would be okay. Aaron gave him a small smile, and they resume with their investigation.

“Hey, guys, I’m going to bring Gui to the hospital, so that she can get a check up,” Chun said, carrying Gui on his back. They all nodded and he walked out the door, but he turned around and called Aaron. “She will be fine. I’ll let you know once she gets settled.” Aaron nodded and he walked away.

Gui went through various checkup since her parents were worried that she would be traumatized by this incident. The Chief came to visit Gui, since he had heard what happened. Gui was in the lobby, waiting for her results. He walked over to her and sat next to her.

“Ying Jie, are you okay?” he asked. Gui nodded, since she couldn’t find her voice to talk. He gave her a smile and they sat in silence. Chun came in and saw the Chief. He greeted the Chief and sat opposite them.

“What are you doing here?” he asked the Chief.

“Jiro told be what happened. I just came to visit Gui, but she’s not talking,” he said.

“Yea, Ba said that she must be too shock and scared by this, so she won’t be able to talk for awhile,” Chun said, looking at Gui.

“Well, I’m going to check up on the guys, call me when everything okay,” he said. Chun nodded and watched as the Chief disappeared from sight. The Chief walked into the elevator and cried. He blamed himself for asking her to the office. If he hadn’t lie to them, then Gui wouldn’t be like this. It’s his entire fault. He was the one who made Gui like this. He was the one who prevented them from going to their trip. Hot tears burned his skin as they rolled down his cheeks.