Chapter 5

The Mystery of the Zodiac Killer

 

They opened the door and saw Tian Fu Zhen. Gui ran up to her and hugged her. It had been three years since she had last saw Hebe. Aaron and Chun stood at the door stunned. They couldn’t believe it. Anger starts to rise in them. They couldn’t believe that the Chief lied to them, just because Hebe was back. Aaron wanted to punch someone, but he knows better than to do that, so instead, he stormed out of the office. Gui and Hebe let go of each other and turned around to watch Aaron disappear. Calvin and Jiro were on their way to the office, when they saw Aaron getting off the elevator in anger. They shrugged at each other and got in.

When they reached the office, they were happy to see Hebe. They ran up to her and hugged her.

“Hebs, what are you doing here?” Calvin asked.

“Just visiting. I was in town and decided to visit. Sorry, I know that you four had today off, but I just wanted to give you guys a surprise,” she said, apologetically. 

“Hey, it’s no biggie for us, but for Aaron, it’s a big deal,” said Jiro. 

“Why?” asked Hebe. 

“He was supposed to go on a vacation with the love of his life,” said Calvin, staring at Gui, who blushed. Hebe didn’t quite understand what Calvin was talking about.

“What do you mean?” asked Hebe. 

“You mean, they didn’t tell you?” Jiro blurted out. 

“Tell me what?” she asked, still confuse.

“Your cousin, Aaron had finally confessed to Miss Wu Ying Jie, and they have been dating for awhile now,” said Calvin, with a smirk. Hebe turned and stared at Gui. She couldn’t believe it. Her cousin finally made a move on her best friend. 

“No way!” she shouted. Gui just nod. 

“Believe it or not, he did it,” said Chun, still kind of angry.

“Hey Chun, if you didn’t speak, I would think that you’ve gone mute,” joked Hebe, walking up to him.

“YOU!” Chun shouted jokingly, “I can’t believe that you made the Chief lied to us.”

“Yea, Hebs, why did you lie to us?” questioned Gui.

“Sorry, I wanted to see you guys before I leave,” she said. 

“So soon?” asked Jiro.

“Well, I was here for a week already, but I’ve been busy with work, so I haven’t had time to visit. Also, I heard from Ba that you five were on a case, so I didn’t want to bother you guys,” she said, innocently. 

“But still, you could of just tell your father to let us know that you were here, instead of lying to us,” said Chun. 

“Wait, what did the Chief said to you three to make you guys come here?” Jiro asked. 

“He said that there was a murder case,” answered Gui. 

“Really? Dang, that one was better than the one he told us,” said Calvin. 

“What did he say?” asked Gui.

“Well, he said that one of the computers has gone ballistic and he needed me here to fix it,” said Calvin.

“What about you, Jiro?” asked Chun. 

“I was over at Calvin’s, when he called, so I just tagged along,” Jiro said. 

“Sorry, I didn’t want him to lie, but I guess he did anyways,” she said. 

“It’s okay,” said Gui. She was worried about Aaron. She knows that whenever Aaron is angry, he would take it out on someone or something, but she knows that she should leave him alone for a little bit. He can’t be mad at his cousin for long, can he?  Hebe talked with them for the whole day. Gui was having so much fun talking with Hebe that she had forgotten all about Aaron and their trip.

Aaron knew that Hebe and Gui were the best of friends, but how can his girlfriend forget about him and their trip together? He sighed as he took a sip of soda. He was sitting by the river bank, after leaving the office. He was angry with his uncle for lying to them, but he was also glad to see Hebe. It was three years since she left for the States to become a doctor like his parents and Gui’s parents. He knew that they didn’t want to lie, but still, he couldn’t help it. He was supposed to go on a vacation with Gui, and now it’s ruin because Hebe decided to visit. He took another sip of his soda. 

‘How can Gui forget about me? I’m her boyfriend,’ he said to himself. He stayed at the river bank for a few more minutes, before heading home. He knew that Gui was going to stay up and talk to Hebe the whole night, so he didn’t bother calling her. Boy, was he dead wrong about Gui being with Hebe. Gui waved goodbye to Hebe, as they left the restaurant they were in. They went their separate ways. Gui was walking home, wondering why Aaron hadn’t called her, when someone came from behind her and covered with a towel. She struggled with the person, but she out before she could free herself from him.

A smiled crept around his face. He threw her body over his shoulders and walked a few blocks, before throwing her inside a van. He got in and drove off in the dark, cold night. Gui didn’t know where she was at or how long she had been knocked out, but when she woke up, she was tied to a chair. was covered with a mask and her hand was handcuffed behind her back. Her eyes widened at the person to the side of her. She was bleeding and she seemed to be dead. Gui screamed, but only a muffled came out, since was covered. 

The kidnapper came into the room and walked over to Gui. He touched her face and smiled at her. He leaned in and kissed her cheeks. His hands roamed her body, touching her everywhere. Gui felt dirty, but she couldn’t do anything. She turned her head, when he tried to kiss her again, causing him to kiss her neck instead. He laughed and walked away from her. She watched as the man, did the same to the bleeding girl. Gui took a closer look, and noticed that the girl wasn’t dead yet, she was pretty much alive, but beaten up. 

“Miss Wu Ying Jie, what a surprise to have you here?” he mocked her. “Don’t worry; I’m not going to kill you just yet. You’re a snake, not a tiger.” She just stared at him. When she heard what he had said, a smile crept on her face.

‘So, he’s the killer for the case that we have been following,’ she thought to herself. ‘But what does he mean by that? What is he trying to imply?’

The killer walked back towards Gui and her hair. He leaned in so close to her, that she can feel his breath on her face. He gently kissed her forehead before leaving the room. When he got the door, he turned around and stared at the two girls. He waved to them and turned to door knob to leave. Gui sighed and stared at the girl, who was also staring at her. Gui observe her and noticed that wasn’t covered. She was also tied to a chair, but instead of being handcuffed, her hands were tied together with a rope. She examines closely and saw bruises on the girl’s wrists and ankles. 

‘She has been in here for about two to three days, so why haven’t there been any missing reports?’ she thought to herself. She was still deep in thoughts when the girl spoke, causing her to jump in surprise. 

“Sorry, for scaring you,” she said, “but, why are you here?” Gui just stared at her.  She didn’t know why she was there, and she couldn’t talk, so she just sat there and didn’t say anything to the girl. 

“By the way, my name is Lin Xiao Mei,” she said. “I know that you can’t talk to me, since your mouth is covered, but you can still answer ‘yes’ or ‘no’ questions, so I’ll just give you those questions.” Gui kept her gaze on the girl. Not saying or doing anything. She was curious as to what the girl wanted to ask her.

“Are you Detective Wu Ying Jie?” she asked. Gui nodded ‘yes’. 

“Okay, do you have anybody who will come and save you?” she asked, hoping that she would nod her head ‘yes’.

Gui thought about the question. ‘I do have people who will come and save me, but they won’t know that I went missing until tomorrow morning or afternoon, so there will be a chance that we won’t leave here for a couple of days. So, should I nod my head ‘yes’ or ‘no’?’ She didn’t know what her answer was. She didn’t want to say ‘yes’ and bring up to the girl, but she also didn’t want to say ‘no’. After awhile, she just shrugged. 

When Lin Xiao Mei saw Gui shrugged her hopes of leaving the place safely disappeared.  She stopped asking Gui questions and just looked down to the ground. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She had been here for about 2-3 days and no one even came to look for her. She often wonders if anyone noticed that she was missing, but she guess they didn’t. Her parents were always on business trips, so she was always home alone. She was pretty sure the school, would just think that she had gotten sick. Gui noticed that she stopped asking her questions and the silence was killing her. She didn’t know how long or what time it was, but she was certain that the killer was going to come back. Tears streamed down her cheeks. She didn’t want to cry, but she was afraid.