Chapter 4

The Mystery of the Zodiac Killer

 

It was a bright Saturday morning. Everyone was on their way to meet up with friends or their significant other. It was no different for Aaron and Gui. She was stressing out with the newest case that they were working on. The clues that the killer has left for them, didn’t help them. The victim’s profiles held suspects, but it wasn’t enough to accuse them for murder. Aaron wanted to do something for his girlfriend, who was having a hard time at work. He wanted to bring the happy, go lucky girl out of his stressed out, tired girlfriend.

He had planned on taking her to his beach house. He had never brought any girl to his beach house before, but he felt that Gui was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. He had made a promise with Jiro, Chun and Calvin, that when they found their other half, they must bring that person to his beach house. And today, was the day for him to bring Gui to the beach house. 

He drove over to her house to pick her up. Gui had already packed everything the night before. She wanted to be ready before Aaron arrives. She hates making him wait for her, so she doesn’t take a lot of time. She made breakfast for Chun. Even though they had maids, Gui would always excuse them from making breakfast for them. She loves to cook and whenever she has the chance to, she would always cook for her family.

They were eating breakfast together. Chun couldn’t keep his eyes off of his sister. He was glad that she was with Aaron and that he was serious about her. He knew that taking Gui to the beach house meant everything to Aaron. They had made a promise to bring their other half to the beach house and spend a weekend there. Chun smiled at the thought of wanted to beat up Aaron, when he found out that he was crushing on his sister. He let out a small laugh, causing Gui to look up from her food.

“Ge, why aren’t you eating?” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

“I was just thinking about something funny,” he said, stuffing a piece of pancake into his mouth. 

“Really? Care to share?” she asked. 

“Sure, remember when Aaron first met you?” he asked. She nodded her head.

“What about it?” she asked. 

“Well, I’m glad that I put trust in Aaron. I mean, I’ve never seen you happier than when you are with Aaron,” he said, stuffing another piece of pancake into his mouth. 

“Ge, why didn’t you trust Aaron at first?” she asked, that question has always been on the back of her mind.

“Well, you just don’t know the whole truth about Aaron. He was not a player, but he wasn’t into the whole relationship thing, you know? He was never serious about anyone. He thinks that LOVE is just a four letter word in the dictionary. He didn’t love anyone, but his family and friends, so he never EXPREIENCED love before. So, I as the older brother didn’t want him to hurt my little sister’s feelings. Mei, I know that I was harsh on him, when he first told me that he had feelings for you, but I only wanted him to prove to you that he loves you, dearly,” he said. Gui stared at him. 

“Ge, are you serious?” she asked.

“Yea, I never thought that you would fall for him. When he confessed to you and you turned him down, I was the happiest person alive, but I also felt guilty because he was really sad. After you rejected him, I saw how sad and grumpy he was. He ignored me and avoided him at all costs. That’s when I realized that he was serious about you. That’s when I realized that he LOVES you. That’s when I decided to let him woo you and I helped him too,” he said. 

“Yea, I remembered. It was really annoying though. I mean, he would always send me flowers in class and stuff. But after all of his effort, I felt his love for me. Ge, to be honest with you, I’ve always thought that Calvin was going to be my boyfriend. I mean, I have liked him for so long, even way before I met Aaron, but I was wrong. It was Aaron, who had stolen my heart,” she confessed, as Aaron walked in and heard this. He was filled with happiness and this made him more certain that she was the one. 

“You have also stolen my heart when I first met you,” he said, walking into the dining room. He walked towards them and flashed Gui a smile. Chun turned around and hi-fived him. 

“Aaron, when did you get here?” she asked him. 

“I just got here,” he said, “so are you ready to go?” 

“Yea, Ge, when you’re done eating you can ask one of the maids to wash the dishes,” she said, getting up and walking out of the room. 

“Take care of her,” said Chun, grinning. 

“Hey, it’s not like I’m going to do anything to her,” he said, defending himself. 

“I know, but if you two decides to deepen your relationship, make sure you don’t hurt her, or I will break you,” he said. 

“I won’t. It’s not like we’re going to do anything,” he said. 

“Hey, I know that you’re experienced, but I trust that it’s my sister’s first time,” Chun said. Chun was eyeing him. He knew that Aaron was no longer a and that his sister was, since she always focused on school, rather than boys, unlike Aaron. 

“I know, but I won’t do anything unless she’s ready,” he said. 

“Just make sure she’s okay,” said Chun. 

“Okay, by the way, so you’re letting me take that from her?” he asked.

“Of course, I trust that you won’t hurt her. And I trust her,” Chun said. Aaron nodded. Gui entered the dining room and smiled at Aaron. When she turned to smile at Chun, she saw that her brother was grinning. 

“Ge, what’s wrong?” she asked him. 

“Nothing, just make sure you take care of yourself,” he said, flashing her a smile. She walked up to him and hugged him tightly. She was glad that Chun was her brother because he is always there for her. 

“Ge, don’t worry. I will be fine,” she said.


“Okay, you two should get going,” he said, “have fun.” Gui and Aaron left the dining room and into the living room. Aaron helped Gui carried her bags into the car. Gui took a deep breath and got into the car, when her phone starting vibrating. She fished out her phone and picked up the call.

“Hello?” she asked.

“Detective Ying Jie, we need you here at the office,” someone said through the line. 

“What’s going on?” she asked. 

“We’ve got another murder,” that person said.

“Okay, I’ll be there,” she said to the person. 

“Is Detective Ya Lun with you? And your brother?” he asked.

“Yes,” she said.

“Bring them too,” he said. Gui hung up and got out of the car. Aaron was befuddled by this. So, he followed her back inside. Chun was now flipping through the channels, when Gui ran in, with Aaron behind her. He looked up in confusion. Gui put her hand up and controlled her breathing. 

“Ge, we need to get to the station now!” she said, after she got her breath back. 

“Why?” the guys asked in unison. 

“Another murder case,” she said. The guys looked at her. Chun got up and ran upstairs to grab his things. Gui grabbed her badge from the table and walked out to the car with Aaron. They waited for Chun. When he came out of the house, they drove off to the station. Aaron was angry at the fact that there was a case on his vacation, but he knows that saving people’s lives and helping them rest in peace was what they had devoted their lives to. He sighed as they reached the station.

All three of them ran to the office. They opened the door and saw…