Enigma

Arrogance and Ignorance

 

A/N: I don't think I ever explained this, but You/Kaemi, Umma, Appa, and Saerin live in a flat above the store.

I don't know if any of you were wondering, but it occurred to me that someone might have been curious.


Early Sunday morning, you woke up to the sound of your Umma and Appa talking very animatedly to someone in the front of the apartment. It occurred very briefly to you that it might be Saerin, but the voice as male, and you were pretty sure that Saerin was not male. You rolled quietly out of bed, wrapping the blanket around yourself (despite it being summer, the nights were still cool, and you still got cold easily). You tiptoed over to the door and peeked out. Seeing no one, you tiptoed further down the hall, stopping at the corner just before you would be visible to the living room and kitchen.

You poked your head around the corner, and much to your confusion, Kai was sitting at the table with your mother, a cup of tea in front of him. You covered your mouth with your blanketed hands, hoping to prevent a gasp from escaping, but failed to realize that you were standing on the edge of the blanket, and when you lifted your hands, ended up stumbling and ending up in a pile on the floor, drawing the attention of both your parents and Kai.

"Good morning," you said from the floor. You were lying face-up, but everything was now behind you, and Kai, who'd stood and walked over, appeared upside down.

"Good Morning, Doll," he said, crouching just next to your head. "You're looking pretty comfy right now."

"Yeah, I hear sleeping on the floor can be good for your back so I decided to try it out," you said coolly, despite the absurdity of the situation.

"I would join you, but your parents are right behind us so I don't think that would be a good idea," Kai whispered cheekily, sending a blush up your cheeks. He held out his had and you stood, shuffling over to the table.

"Good morning Kaemi," your Umma said, blinking at you, confused. "Why'd you come out in your blanket? It's so hot already."

"Oh, you know how cold I can get at night," you said, taking the empty seat at the table. Kai sat down next to you.

"I can warm you up," he whispered, and if the blanket hadn’t trapped your feet, you would have kicked him under the table.

"Kai here was just telling us about how you guys danced yesterday," Your dad said, giving you a sly grin. "Sounds like you had fun."

"It was fun," you mumbled, as he set a plate of egg toast in front of you. "Where's Unnie? Did she leave already?"

"She went to hang out with that guy she's been seeing. What's his name again? Something foreign..." Appa said with a shrug.

"Lyle. His name is Lyle, dear," Umma said, patting her husband on the bum as he leaned over to serve Kai some egg toast. Kaemi cringed and made a face, while Kai didn't seem to notice.

"That's right," Appa said, nodding his head. "The one who looks like a movie star. Good kid, that one." He sat down at the table across from Kai.

"So what are you two up to today?" Umma asked, giving you a sly grin. You averted you gaze down to the food in front of you.

"Chanyeol, Baekhyun and I are going to be hanging and I thought I'd bring Kaemi along," Kai said before you could even speak. Your father gave you a curious look, and the look you gave him back was apparently one he didn't understand because he continued on, unaware about how awkward the situation might get.

"Baekhyun? Isn't he is the one who took you out on a date Friday?" He asked, and you internally groaned. Kai turned to you, surprise written all over his face.

"You went on a date with Hyung?" He asked. His tone was even, but the look in his eyes told you that you had some explaining to do. Your Umma pinched Appa in the arm for his lack of tact, and he shrugged helplessly.

"It wasn't a date," you said, trying to keep the panic out of your voice. "We just walked around Hongdae a bit and got some patbingsu. He was just trying to cheer me up." Kai seemed to take your word for it, and turned back to his own food.

"Anyway, he was a nice kid," your Appa said, and then turned to Kai. "But I think I like you a bit better, Kai. You're cooler." You rolled your eyes as his lame attempt at damage control.

"Anyway, I should get dressed so that we can go," You said, quickly finishing the last of the egg toast and delivering your plate to the sink. Still wrapped in the blanket, you shuffled into the hallway. "I'll be back in a few minutes, Kai!" You hurried to your room, taking care not to trip on the blanket again, and shut the door to your room. You leaned against it for a moment and let out a relieved breath.

"Stupid Appa saying things like that," you muttered. You dropped the blanket on your bed and opened up your closet. For the first time in a long time, you had a crisis about what to wear. Normally, you would just throw whatever on, but for some reason (okay, so maybe it was because of Kai) you had a tough time deciding what to wear. You would be going out to lunch with Sehun after hanging with Kai and the others, so you didn't want to be too dressy, yet at the same time you wanted to be pretty for the guy you were crushing on.

"Ack, whatever," you said after a few more moments of thought. You pulled out a black top and some shorts. It was simple, but cute. After dressing, you quickly combed your hair, did some simple eyeliner and grabbed your sandals out of the closet. One last spot-check and you were out of your room and back down the hall to the kitchen.

"That was fast," Kai said, standing. You shrugged, and turned to your parents.

"I'm having lunch with Sehunnie, so I'll be back sometime in the afternoon," you said, giving your Umma a hug. "If Unnie brings Lyle around before I get back, just tell them I said hello." And with that final goodbye, you and Kai headed down the stairs and out the side door of the building.

There was an awkward silence in the air as you headed toward the bus stop. While you, Kai, Baekhyun and Sehun lived fairly close together, Chanyeol lived further away, near the Han River. It would take about 45 minutes from your place to his.

"So about you and Baekhyun..." Kai started, lightly nudging your shoulder with his own. "Something you want to tell me?"

"Nothing happened really," you said, trying to convince yourself as much as him. "We just walked around for a bit and then ate patbingsu in the park. And then he walked me home. And he kissed me. It was... I don't even know." You frowned, and scratched the back of your neck.

"He kissed you, huh?" Kai said curiously, and you looked at him, slightly surprised by his reaction. Why did you expect him to get mad? You had no idea, actually. He had no reason to; you were just friends, after all. “Well, he's certainly got guts; I'll give him that much." What you didn't know was that on the inside, Kai was fuming. He couldn't believe his Hyung would do something like that, especially knowing what he did about Kai's feelings for you.

"Kinda like some one else I know," you muttered, giving him a pointed look. "It's not the first time I've been caught by surprise like that."

"Someone else kissed you out of the blue like that?" Kai said, his calm demeanor from before cracking. "Who? Was it Taemin? I thought you said you didn't go on a date with him!" This reaction made you laugh and he frowned.

"Sometimes, you're really dim, you know?" You said, lightly punching him in the arm. "You did the same thing to me about three weeks ago, stupid." As realization hit him, and he turned away embarrassed, you heaved an inward sigh. So the kiss really meant so little to him that he had forgotten it. It stung a little, but there wasn't much you could do about it.

"I thought you wouldn't remember," he said with nervous laughter, something you didn't hear coming from him often. So he did remember, but he was hoping you didn't... how confusing was that? "I'm really so-"

"Don't apologize," you cut him off. "I wasn't ever mad that you did it in the first place, so you have nothing to apologize for." You gave him as best a smile as you could despite the fact that he was so keen in making you feel bad about that kiss. How could you forget it? How could you be mad at him? Your crush had kissed you after all, and even though you hadn't acknowledged your, feelings then, you were quite sure that they had been there all along, waiting for something like that to happen.

"So you didn't kiss Taemin-Hyung?" Kai asked, slipping his hand into yours. You rolled your eyes and punched him playfully with your free hand.

"No stupid," you said. "I think someone's jealous~" You were teasing him of course, but he responded in a way that you would have never expected.

"I am jealous," he said, staring straight ahead. "I'm the only one you should be acting cute for. I'm the only one who can tease you and I'm the only one who can hold your hand and kiss you by surprise." You could only stare at him, as a blush crawled up your face.

"What? Am I that good looking that you can't tear your eyes away?" He asked, his serious tone back to a playful one. Your head spun as you tried to wrap your mind around his rapid mood changes. First he's ticked off at hearing you went on a date with Baekhyun, and then he acts like it's no big deal, then flustered when you mention the kiss, and now he's professing jealousy.

"You're enigma, that's what you are," you muttered. You arrived at the bus stop just in time as the bus pulled up not two minutes after you got there. Kai boarded first and after you paid, he pulled you down into a two-seater, and pulled you so that your back was flush against his chest and his arms around your waist.

"Yah, Kim Jongin," you hissed, pinching his arm so that he would let go. "What do you think you're doing on this bus right now? Don't be a ert, sheesh." It was useless trying to hide the blush that seemed to never leave your face lately. You wiggled out from his hold and sat on the seat as you originally intended.

"I'm your ert, though; don't forget," he said, jumping his eyebrows, and giving your hand a light squeeze. "And I won't tolerate Baekhyun or any other person doing erted things to you."

"Get over it," you said, rolling your eyes and scooting to the edge of the seat. He put his arm around your shoulder and pulled you back towards him. You tried to go back, but he just held you tighter.

"If you don't stop moving away from me, I'm going to kiss you," he said simply, and you scoffed.

"You won't," you said, crossing your arms and moving back toward the edge. This time, he scooted in your direction.

"I won't? What makes you think that?" He said, his voice low and seductive. As much as you wanted to kiss him at that moment, there was a little mischievous part of you that had a better idea. The bus was rounding a left turn and you knew what would happen if he got too close to the edge when it did turn.

"Well for starters, we're in a public location," you said, scooting a little further back. Like you predicted, he moved as well. Just a little more...

"So? I'd do it even if we were alone," he said confidently, bringing his face closer to yours. You smirked and moved so that you were just barely on the seat now. "You're going to have to think of a better reason than that."

"Oh I have," you said, and just as the bus turned, you quickly stood and pivoted so that the support pole held you up, while Kai slid out of the seat and onto the floor. You laughed at his startled expression, and some of the other bus passengers hid their smirks while others laughed right along with you.

"Ha. Ha. Clever," Kai scoffed, and got back into the seat, dusting himself off. He crossed his arms and looked out of the window with a huff.

"Aw, are you pouting?" You said, reclaiming your seat, and poking his arm. It was fun messing with him like this, seeing as most of the time it was usually the other way around.

"Leave me alone," he muttered, not turning to look at you. "Meanie." You snickered at his childish behavior.

"Don't be mad Kai," You said. "We're still friends, even if you are a bit clumsy sometimes." He turned to you, eyes slit in suspicion.

"You're more clumsy than I am," he said. "I seem to remember a time not too long ago when you fell right into my arms." You scoffed, realizing that he meant the time in front of the classroom a few weeks ago.

"Actually, you pulled me into your arms," you protested.

"You would have fallen had I not done that though," he said with a triumphant smirk. "And don't try to hide the fact that you enjoyed being in my arms. I know you can't resist me, Doll."

"Oh, yes. Simply irresistible," you said sarcastically. "A real Casanova you are." You leaned back in the seat, grinning at the fact you and Kai were still bickering like normal. You hadn't realized how much you actually enjoyed these exchanges with him. It was a part of your daily routine, and if it suddenly changed, you weren’t sure that you could handle it.

Suddenly, the bus stopped. You leaned towards Kai to see out of the window, ignoring it when he muttered something about being irresistible again.

“What happened? Why’d we stop?” another passenger asked the bus driver.

“It seems that there’s been an accident,” the bus driver said after a moment. “And it looks like it’s going to be a while before we get moving again.” You and Kai both sighed. You were in the middle of a one-way road, and it would take the police and traffic control crew to get here.

“How long will be here for?” another passenger asked. The bus driver called dispatch and after a few moments stood to give his answer.

“Sorry to say this folks, but we’ll be here for at least an hour,” the bus driver announced, receiving a swell of groans in response. “It seems that the accident caused a pile up and due to another event a bit away from here, there are only a few people who could come and help. It’ll be a while before someone can get down here and clear the traffic.”

“I could’ve just slept in if this was going to happen,” You sighed. “A 45 minute bus ride turning into a two hour bus-ride. Greeeaaat.”

“More time with me,” Kai said, his earlier pouting spell done. “Besides, I don’t think Chanyeol and Baekhyun will mind too much if we’re late.” You just yawned in response and glanced at your phone. It was only nine o’clock, and if Kai hadn’t come, you wouldn’t have woken up until near the time you were going to meet Sehun for lunch.

“If you’re tired, then go to sleep,” Kai said, pulling you towards him. “I’ll wake you up when we get there.” You eyed him suspiciously.

“You won’t do anything?”

“What am I going to do on this bus? But I mean, if you’re into that kind of thing I ca-”

“Ugh, God, Kai. That’s gross,” you scoffed. “I was just checking, jeeze.” But you leaned your head against his shoulder anyway. When had you gotten so comfortable with him to do this? You had already gotten used to him holding your hand and being a skinship monster over the past few weeks, so was this the logical next thing?

Was this what a close friendship was with a guy? Holding hands and stolen kisses and erted jokes? And you had fallen for Kai. You could only imagine Eun Chae’s face when you told her at school tomorrow. She would probably scream ‘I told you so!’ and tease you about it relentlessly. You already knew that she was going out of your way to push you and Kai together, but now, it would be even worse than before.

As you shuffled through your thoughts, and fell into a light nap, Kai watched you with a small smile. It would be an understatement for him to say he liked you. He loved everything about you; how you scolded him; how you cared about your family; how forgiving you were of his own actions. You were willing to go along with his ‘let’s be friends’ idea, and even though you still argued and still teased each other, it was done with more familiarity and warmth. He could see it in your face that you were happy when you were with him and he was grateful that he could make you smile, and that he could hold your hand, and make you flustered.

What concerned Kai the most was Baekhyun. He had told his friends a long while ago that he was in love with you. Baekhyun knew this fact all too well, and even agreed to help him win you over. So what happened? Why had Baekhyun changed his mind and started going after you himself? Kai couldn’t deny that you were a hard person to not fall in love with, but he really had faith that his Hyung would help him, not make things more difficult.

Baekhyun was a good rival, too. He was older, smart, and charming. His family was well off, he had a great sense of humor, and was a vocal prodigy. Not to mention he was really good-looking. He knew how to make people happy, and Kai had no doubt that he would be able to make you happy. If you fell in love with his Hyung, Kai would be angry, hurt and a multitude of other things, but he would understand. Baekhyun was easy to love.

“You’re not allowed to fall in love with anyone but me, okay?” Kai said, your hair lightly. “I don’t care if Hyung is cool and good-looking. I love you and that’s all that should matter.”


A/N: Ugh, God. This was so hard to write. Several times I just had half a mind to scrap the whole thing and start over. Something exciting though is that I made a playlist for this fic!

"Arrogance and Ignorance" Soundtrack:

  1. Kiss With a Fist- Florence + The Machine
  2. Such Great Heights- The Postal Service
  3. We Intertwined- The Hush Sound
  4. Teleport A and B- The Spill Canvas
  5. Drumming Song- Florence + The Machine
  6. That's What You Get- Paramore
  7. The Way I Am- Ingrid Michaelson
  8. Crush- Jennifer Paige
  9. The Two of Us- *NSYNC
  10. Must Be Dreaming- Frou Frou

With the exception of 'Kiss With a Fist,' which sets the tone for the Kai and Kaemi's relationship at the beginning of the story (chapters 1 and 2), the songs do not have to be listened to in any particular order. I felt that these songs had lyrics that expressed the feelings and situations Kai and Kaemi find themselves dealing with at various points in the story. Some of the songs are cheesy, I know (ahem, *NSYNC) but I think most of them fit with the sort of upbeat, flirty, comedic, enemies-turned-lovers plot of this story. Each song links to a YouTube video (some of them are not the official m/v, so don't expect too much). Please give a listen and tell me what you think!

I have some news though. Good and bad. Good news is, the KaiMi couple will be official very soon. The bad news is that means this fic is drawing to a close. I am so glad that I was able to share this with you all, and you have definitely made writing this so much fun. I love it when you guys leave comments and fangirl and stuff. It makes me feel closer to you. I am so glad that you all enjoyed it.

Yeah, I’m thinking about five or so more chapters, with an epilogue. I already have a oneshot that I’ve written about KaiMi a few years after they’ve gotten together. I plan to make more of them, and add them to my EXO Oneshot collection.

Also, if you haven’t already, please check out my other fics. Once this fic is finished, I will have more time to focus on them. Because my updates are pretty random, I can’t give you an exact date about when they will start to get more attention, but know that I will not be abandoning them anytime soon. 

 

Sweet As A Peach (MBLAQ x OC)

 

기회 [Chance] (BLOCK B x OC)

 

My Beastly School (BEAST x OC)

 

My Best Friend's Sister (SHINee x OC)

 

Me and Him- EXO One Shots (EXO x Various OC's)

 

Okay that's it for now! I'm going on vacation for a week so I won't be updating again until around March 20th, but please wait for me!

 

Love,

aeru