Quite Attached

Arrogance and Ignorance

You woke up on Saturday morning looking forward to going to the orphanage again. You hadn't seen the kids for a while, and you missed their energy and ability to allow you to forget your own troubles. Getting out of bed, you headed straight for the bathroom to get ready for the day. When you came into the kitchen, Saerin was making breakfast; it was one of her only free weekends off, and here she was cooking instead of sleeping.

"Good morning, Kaemi," she chirped brightly as you sat at the table, pouring yourself a glass of orange juice from the pitcher that sat on the table. "Uncle told me you had a date last night with Baekhyun? He's cute."

"I wouldn't call it a date," you said, sighing. "He came to make sure I was okay because of some stuff that's been going on recently." Saerin turned to you, giving you a look that said that she knew that there was more to it than just that.

"...And he may have kissed me," you said in a tiny whisper, hiding your rapidly reddening face behind your hands.

"Yep, I knew there was more than just him checking up on his dongsaeng," Saerin said, placing a freshly cooked omelet on your plate. "So he likes you, but you don't like him."

"I don't know."

"About him liking you or you not liking him?"

"About both," you said, picking at the omelet. "He's always been pretty greasy towards me, but I never really thought much of it until a few days ago. And as for me liking him, I really have no clue. I'm still trying to figure out my feelings."

"About Kai," Saerin said knowingly. You looked sharply in her direction, a suspicious look on your face. She simply chuckled and flipped the omelet she was currently cooking. "I'm not dumb, you know. And you complain about him too much for you to be genuinely "in hate" with him, despite what you say." She had you there. She had been the person you complained to the most, and a lot of the times it was about Kai and how he was a jerk, but could sometimes be nice, but then still turned out to be a weirdo. You had told her about when he kissed you, and how you felt so confused because you thought you were supposed to hate him. You had told her about the 'date' at the amusement park, and how you had actually had a good time, despite it being with Kai. And of course, she had been the one to let you in when he dropped you off at home after said amusement park event.

"It's just, I don't know, Unnie," you said, taking a bite of the delicious omelet. "He's so damn frustrating all the time. One minute he's being an annoying jerk, the next he's holding my hand and being sweet and offering to walk me home. What the hell am I supposed to think?"

"How about you just stop thinking?" Saerin said, taking her own omelet and sitting down in the seat across the table. "Just see what happens with both Baekhyun and Kai."

"Easy for you to say," Kaemi muttered through a mouth full of egg. "How did my life turn into a primetime special?" Saerin just laughed at her cousin's frustration and tucked into her own meal.

Twenty minutes, another glass of orange juice and one lemon-poppy seed muffin later, you were out the door and on your way to the orphanage. Sehun was going to be there this week, and you were excited to see him. He always arrived before you, so he would probably already in the yard when you got there. you smiled at the thought of having a stress free day as you rode the bus to your destination.

As soon as you reached the gates, you could hear the joyful screams and laughter of the kids and you walked right in an to the back. You immediately spotted Min Jung, as she was riding on the shoulders Sehun.

"Min Junggie, Unnie is here," You called, walking over with a big smile. You stopped dead in your tracks when Sehun turned around because, well, it wasn't Sehun.

"Unnie!" Min Jung squealed happily. "I want to go to Unnie, Kai-oppa. Let me down please!"

"Hey, Kaemi. You came," Kai said, crouching down so that you could lift Min Jung off of his shoulders and hold her yourself. 

"Yeah, I did," you said with as much normalcy as you could muster. "Sehun said he was going to be here today so I wasn't expecting you."

"Oh, he's here," Kai reassured. "He just went inside to talk to Se Ah-Noona. Here he comes now." You turned, still holding Min Jung, to see Sehun making his way over to you.

"Kaena you came," he said, giving you and Min Jung a hug. "Kai tagged along, but that's okay right?" He gave you a hopeful look and you just shrugged in response.

"Sure, whatever he wants to do," You said. You looked down at Min Jung. "Do you want to help Unnie with snack?" The little girl nodded her head enthusiastically and you set off towards the building.

"I'll come and help," Kai said following you two. Sehun just had a little grin and went to play with some of the other children in the yard.

"Kaemi, hey," Kai said as he caught up with you. You gave him a smile.

"Hey," you said back. "So you liked it so much you wanted to come back? That's really nice of you, the kids al like you it seems."

"I like spending time with the kids," he replied. "And with you, too." You weren't looking at him but you could feel the blush starting to rise to your cheeks.

"Um, thanks. You're fun, too," you said with a tiny smile. "When you're not being annoying." He laughed and held the door open for you. When you entered the building, you set Min Jung down. You all headed to the kitchen, where Moo Won the cook was prepping lunch. You gave a polite hello and began pulling out boxes of animal crackers.

"Milk with those right?" Kai asked, and you nodded. He picked Min Jung up so that she could reach the shelf in the refrigerator and grab the milk. After, he took some cups from a cabinet and handed them to her, and she ran to put them on the tables in their proper spots.

"So I was thinking about the whole dancing thing," Kai said suddenly, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled over the kitchen. You paused in your portioning out the graham crackers and gave him a questioning look. "I was thinking after we're finished here I could take you to where I practice and show you around. We can even get some dinner together if you want."

"Sure, I didn't have any plans anyway," You said, feeling excited. "I'll just call my parents later and tell them I'll be back late, then." You turned to look for another box of graham crackers, hoping he couldn't see the red creeping up your cheeks.

"Unnie, Kai-Oppa and I are going to get the other kids," Min Jung called out to you.

"Okay! Make sure everyone washes their hands first," you told her, and watched as they left the kitchen.

"You sure you and that guy aren't dating?" Moo Won asked, giving you a knowing look. You shook your head vigorously.

"No, we're just friends," you said, bringing the graham crackers out to the tables. "He and I have known each other for a while."

"What ever you say, Kaemi-ah," Moo Won said with a chuckle. "You'll figure it out soon enough." You were about to reply when a voice interrupted you.

"Noona!" You turned to see Ji Hwan leading the pack of kids into the building. He immediately came to you and hugged you. "We didn't get to see you last week. I missed you."

"I missed you, too, Squirt," You said, hugging him and then ruffling your hair. "Now go wash your hands before sitting down. You've been playing outside this whole time and I don't want you guys getting sick from the dirt." He gave you a big smile and set off to do just that. Kai and Sehun walked over to you.

"Ji Hwan and Min Jung are really attached to you, Noona," Sehun said, looping his arm with yours. "It's really cute."

"I'm quite attached to them, too," you said, remembering that they were the first two kids to approach you when you started volunteering here. "I'm gonna miss them when they get adopted."

"You're really good with all the kids, Kaemi," Kai said. "I mean, I like playing with them and stuff, but it's like you have some sort of child-whispering powers." You chuckled at his description.

"I wouldn't go far as to say that," you said. "Kids just like me is all."

"They're not the only ones that like you," Sehun mumbled. You gave him a confused look, not quite able to hear him, while Kai, who could hear him just fine, elbowed him in the ribs. "Anyway, if you guys want to split a little early today, I can take these guys for the afternoon. I haven't spent nearly as much time with them recently."

"No, Sehun, it's okay-"

"Sounds great, we'll go after story time," Kai interrupted, and Kaemi shot him a glare. "I'll treat you next time as payback." Sehun nodded his agreement, but you still frowned at Kai.

"I don't feel right ditching him," you said. "It's been a while since he was here and the kids can get really energetic sometimes and-" Kai placed a reassuring hand on your shoulder.

"He'll be fine," he told you. "He's still a kid himself, so he shouldn't have much trouble relating to them. Besides, wouldn't you rather spend time with this handsome guy?" He pointed at himself and you scoffed at his haughtiness, despite the smile tugging at the corners of your lips.

"Alright then, Casanova," you said, turning from him and helping a little girl pull out her chair to sit down. "We'll go after story time." Though Kai couldn't see the small smile you had, Sehun could, and he would be sure to share the progress of your blooming relationship with the others as soon as he got the chance.

As soon as you settled all the kids down to a nap after story time, you, Kai and Sehun met at the front gates. You had asked Se Ah if it was alright to leave early, and she readily agreed, giving you a knowing smile before sending you off.

"I'll call you tomorrow and maybe we can get lunch together," you said to Sehun. You still felt kind of guilty about leaving him like this, even with his insistence that it was fine. "I feel like I've been neglecting my favorite dongsaeng."

"Lunch sounds nice," Sehun said, wrapping you in his arms. "And you can tell me all about your date, too." He whispered the last part so that only you could hear, and pulled back just as you made to give him a playful smack on the arm.

"Tell the Hyung's that I'll stop by later," was all Kai said before he opened the gate and you two headed out onto the streets of Seoul.


A/N: I know this chapter is short, but the next one is really a good one. It's gonna be a double update :3

This one was kinda just a filler. SERIOUSLY GUYS THE NEXT CHAPTER HAS LOTS OF KAIMI FLUFF JUST LIKE YOU WANTED.