Park Hae Rin

What Do I Do?

“Park Hae Rin!”

Finally.

“You’re late,” I said, creasing my eyebrows. “And what did I say about using my full name?”

“Sorry, I couldn’t get off work earlier,” she panted. “Don’t be mad?”

“Han Ji Hye, you’re the most annoying girl I have ever met,” I rolled my eyes.

“And yet, I am your best friend. Or should I say, your only friend?” Ji Hye teased.

 “I’m still questioning why I still hang around you,” I answered, not looking amused. “And for the record, I do have friends.”

“I’m gonna pretend that I didn’t hear that. But of course, why wouldn’t the beautiful Hae Rin, have friends right?” she smirked. “I mean, you are the famous graphic designer of record labels. JYP, YG, who else have you worked for?”

I rolled my eyes at her response. That’s Han Ji Hye for you, the chatterbox. This girl never fails to amaze me at how she can go on talking for hours. Of course I wouldn’t let her have the satisfaction knowing that in some way, she’s always the one making me smile and laugh. She would brag about it all day if she knew.

“I’m surprised that you’re not dating any idol yet,” Ji Hye laughed.

“I’m surprised that you actually last more than three months with Shin,” I smirked, knowing how many guys she has dated. “That’s a first.”

“Yah!” Ji Hye smacked my head.

I laughed. When it comes to making a good comeback, I always win. Ji Hye and I spent quite some time catching up on each other’s lives. God, how I miss this girl. I haven’t seen her in months. The last time I saw her was before she went to Paris for a fashion show. Ji Hye’s a model, and a famous one at that. Who would have thought that the girl who did part-time modelling back then would now be a famous model, endorsing for big brand names? Who would have thought that I would actually get my dream job? We never planned this. We were just two ordinary girls with dreams. Having achieved them and getting to where we were today, it just happened. And I guess that’s life, things just happen. Just like five years ago.

“He’ll be there, you know,” Ji Hye suddenly said.

Sometimes I wonder if she can actually read my thoughts. She knows me too well.

“Who?” I asked, trying to act oblivious.

“Come on, Hae Rin. Who are you trying to fool?” she replied. “You know very well who I’m talking about.”

“Well sorry to disappoint but, I don’t,” I answered, feeling a tinge of irritation. “Are we going in or what?”

“You need closure, Rin. That’s what you’re here for, right?”

“Actually, I’m here because you forced me into coming,” I glared at Ji Hye. “Remember?”

“That’s because you ditched me at the school reunion last year!” she laughed.

“I was sick, dude.” I reminded her.

“Yeah sure, dude,” Ji Hye replied, obviously mimicking me. “Still the same tomboy you’ve always been. The way you talk, and the way you dress.”

She glanced at me up and down. I rolled my eyes. I was in a t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Ji Hye, on the other hand, was in some designer dress and heels.

“You didn’t change one bit either,” I pointed out. “Still the same chatterbox, except you got better at dressing up. Damn, you used to have really bad taste.”

That earned me another smack on the head. Should have seen that coming.

“So, you ready to go inside?” I asked.

“I’m ready,” Ji Hye replied. “The question is, are you?

“Whatever, let’s just get this over and done with.”

We finally entered the school hall. It was already packed, seeing how we arrived late. The event started an hour ago. We were still standing at the entrance as I scanned the venue. Familiar faces were everywhere. An irrepressiblesense of nostalgia came creeping in. I smiled. Somehow, I was glad Ji Hye forced me into coming. I never realized how much I miss this school and the people present here today. I looked around, trying to put the familiar faces and their names together, when I felt my stomach churn as my gaze fell on one particular person.

He was in a blue checkered shirt with a hood over a white t-shirt underneath, black jeans and a pair of Nike dunks. And he was wearing his New Era snapback hat. That was his favourite hat, or maybe still is. He still looks the same. The way he dresses, the way he moves, how his forehead creases whenever he lifts his eyebrows and that smirk.

I felt my stomach tied in knots. A familiar feeling came back. That very same feeling I felt when I walked away five years ago. That hollow feeling in my chest. That stabbing pain in my heart.

“Five years hasn’t changed a thing, huh?” Ji Hye said, following my gaze.

“It still hurts, Ji Hye,” I managed to answer, after a few seconds of hesitation. “Even after five years, and that’s a pretty long time.”

“I know babygirl, I know. You guys were childhood friends after all,” she said. “But come on; let’s not let him have the satisfaction knowing that you’re still not over him. That will only mean that he won.”

My gaze was cut when I felt Ji Hye grabbed my hand and leading me away.

“We’re here to have fun. Just act like you always do, not giving a damn about what the others think of you,” Ji Hye said, trying to convince me. “Let’s show him that you’re better off without him. Show him that he had lost the best thing he could ever have. You, on the other hand, have nothing to lose.”

Ji Hye was right. I have nothing to lose. He didn’t even fight for me five years ago. He hadn’t held me back and made me stay. I would if he did. But he didn’t. He had let me walk away. He gave up on what we could have had. What we could have been. It was his loss, not mine.

I could feel my eyes b with tears again. But this time, I wasn’t going to cry because of him. It was because I was grateful with what I have right now – my best friend, my career, my life. I should be content with what I have, and not grieving about the past.

“Aw. You’re not going to cry, aren’t you?” Ji Hye poked me. “Where’s that strong girl I know?”

“Oh shut up. I wasn’t going to cry, you idiot,” I laughed.

That’s the Hae Rin I know,” Ji Hye smiled and squeezed my hands. “Now let’s go grab some punch!”

We spent quite some time by the punch bowl, catching up with some old friends. Ji Hye, being the chatterbox that she is, was of course going on and on and reminiscing the good ol’ days. I just stood there listening, and letting her do all the talking. I was looking around the hall, just smiling at everyone’s antics. Again, my gaze stopped at that one person. He had his eyes closed and his eyebrows were creasing like he was deep in thoughts. I continued gazing at him, wondering what he was thinking about. It’s so hard to read him sometimes. I sighed. My heart still aches just looking at him from afar, but I’m not going to cry about it anymore. I’m done crying over the boy that I’m still in love with after five years of heartbreak. It would be difficult, getting over him. But I’ll try. I’ll move on. I’ll be happy.

Song Minho, I hope you’ll always be happy too.


A/N: I was originally going to make this a twoshot, but I have some ideas so I'll continue.
Any Block B's maknae, Pyo Jihoon's fans here? (;