Chapter 5

What Do I Do?

Ji Hye placed both her hands on her hips when she sees a familiar petite figure running towards her from afar, her backpack slung on one shoulder and her camera on the other side. She watched as her best friend stumbled over nothing and put both of her hands on her knees when she finally reached.

“Sorry… I was… caught up… at work,” her best friend panted. Despite how messy she looks with her hair all over the place and her backpack slipping down to her elbow, she was still clutching onto her precious Leica camera in her right hand. Ji Hye rolled her eyes at the sight of her best friend.

“Yah, Park Hae Rin!” Ji Hye yelled, wanting to give her best friend a lecture. “Are you aware of what you just did?”

Hae Rin looked up from her position to her famous best friend that was seething with anger.

“I wasn’t that late, Ji Hye,” Hae Rin said, straightening herself up. “You’re overreacting.”

“You weren’t that late?!” she scoffed. “You were ten minutes late! T-E-N. TEN!”

Hae Rin sighed. It was of no use arguing back when Ji Hye is mad, so she just let her best friend rant everything out.

“How could you make a famous model wait for ten minutes?!”

“Look, I was caught up at work okay? JYP wanted to discuss 2PM’s new album concept. It was kind of an urgent meeting,” Hae Rin’s voice got softer as she pouted. “I’ll treat you to Starbucks later on. Don’t be mad, okay? Pwease~

“God, I hate it when you use your aegyo on me,” Ji Hye scoffed again, but smiling this time. She could never resist her best friend’s aegyo. It was rare for a tomboy like her to act all cute, but when she does, Ji Hye would always cave in.

“I hate it too,” Hae Rin agreed. She could never stand aegyo, whether it was her doing it or someone else. But she knew her best friend is a er for anything (or anyone cute).

“So… You were talking about a meeting with 2PM?” Ji Hye wiggled her eyebrows.

“Oh no,” Hae Rin backed away from her friend. “Don’t you go there, Han Ji Hye.”

“Come on, Rinnie!” Ji Hye ran to catch up with her. “Did Wooyoung ask you out again?”

Hae Rin ignored her best friend. Ever since she had spilled that Wooyoung had asked for her number and to go out on a date with him, Ji Hye had been pestering her to take up his offer.

“I don’t get why you won’t give him a chance, Rin. Girls would die to go on dates with him,” she blabbered. “Besides, he’s cute!”

“He’s too old for me,” Hae Rin curtly replied.

“Only by four years!” Ji Hye rolled her eyes.

“Then why don’t you go out with him? Since you’re so interested.”

“I have a boyfriend.”

“Oh, you’re still with Shin?” Hae Rin stopped walking, and covered in shock. She was obviously being sarcastic.

“Yah! Why is it so hard for you to believe that I’m serious about Shin?” Ji Hye smacked her best friend’s head.

“Because you never last more than three months with all of the guys you dated!” Hae Rin rubbed the back of her head. “Yah, you idiot! That actually hurts!”

“I’m gonna pretend I didn’t hear you calling the famous model an idiot,” Ji Hye faked a smile. “Now where did you say we were going again?”

“I’m not sure, but I think we’re here,” Hae Rin looked at the piece of paper in her hands.

“Wait, what do you mean you’re not sure,” Ji Hye crossed her arms. “Why are we even here, Park Hae Rin?”

Hae Rin didn’t answer. She wasn’t too sure where she was either. She looked at the address on the piece of paper again and looked back up at the building across the street.

“Stardom Entertainment?” Hae Rin read out loud. “Why did he ask me to meet here?”

Who asked you to meet here?” Ji Hye asked, exasperated at her best friend. “Yah, Park Hae Rin!”

Ji Hye stormed her feet when her best friend ignored her again. That girl was already crossing the road. Sighing for the umpteenth time, Ji Hye followed suit.

“Rin!” a deep voice called out. Hae Rin immediately knew who it was.

“Yah, why did you ask me to meet you here?” she asked, walking up to him. He was standing by the entrance of the building.

“What, not even a hello?” P.O chuckled. “Man, I gotta teach you some manners!”

“Who is this?” Ji Hye looked at her friend in confusion when she finally caught up with her.

“Oh, Ji Hye-ah. This is my friend, P.O,” Hae Rin introduced. “P.O, this is my best friend, Ji Hye.”

“Oh wow, I know you. You’re that model,” P.O gave her a bright smile and bowed. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Ji Hye just gave him a smile and bowed slightly. She pulled her best friend aside, ignoring the confused look on P.O.

“Who is he?” Ji Hye hissed. “And what are we doing here? What am I even doing here?”

“He’s a friend,” Hae Rin shrugged. “He wanted me to meet his friends, and I thought that it’d be nice if he met you too.”

“You mean, it would be less awkward if I came along too, right?” Ji Hye glared.

Hae Rin flashed her friend a wide grin.

“God, you’re cunning,” Ji Hye crossed her arms. She was definitely mad at her best friend for not telling her the truth right now.

“Oh come on, Ji Hye,” Hae Rin tugged on her friend’s arms. “You’re my best friend, right?”

Ji Hye looked away. Hae Rin knew that at this point of time, her best friend was going to give in anytime soon. Just a little more push.

“And you know how I’ve always been the lamp post on your dates? I just thought that you, as my best friend, would do this teeny little favour for me,” Hae Rin made her famous puppy dog eyes. “Please?”

“Oh alright,” Ji Hye finally gave in. Damn those puppy dog, brown eyes of hers, she thought. “Starbucks. Your treat.”

“Yes boss!” Hae Rin saluted. “Come on!”

The two went back to where P.O was playing with his feet, hands in his pocket.

“So, P.O,” Hae Rin smiled. “Where are your friends?”

“Upstairs,” he smiled back. “Let’s go, they’re already waiting for us!”

“Upstairs?” a confused Hae Rin asked. “Why are we even here, P.O? Do you work here?”

“Sort of,” he shrugged, pushing the two girls into the elevator.

 

 

“This is it,” P.O grinned.

They were standing outside a room. The hallway on the 8th floor was pretty dark, not even a single soul in sight. Only faint music could be heard across the floor. It was coming from the room.

“You’re sure you’re not gonna kidnap us or something?” Ji Hye eyed the boy. “I know I’m a famous model and all, but if it’s money that you want, this is not the way to do it.”

Hae Rin just rolled her eyes while P.O chuckled. Her best friend can be such a drama queen.

“Don’t worry, I won’t kidnap you,” P.O said, while slinging an arm over Hae Rin’s shoulders. “I’m only planning to kidnap her.”

Ji Hye’s eyes widened at that.

“Oh come on, Ji Hye,” Hae Rin rolled her eyes again. “You’re not actually falling for that, right?”

“Of course not,” Ji Hye smirked, then looked at P.O. “I’m watching you, if you know what I mean.”

P.O gave her a knowing smile.

“Wait, what do you mea-“

“Okay enough talk, let’s go in,” P.O cut in between Hae Rin’s words. He turned the knob of the door and pushed it open. The faint music that was heard earlier could now be heard loud and clear.

Geudaero momchwo geogi STOP
Eodigani girl STOP
Mallijima Don’t STOP

Hae Rin and Ji Hye stood rooted at the door. Six boys were dancing in the room. Hae Rin watched as P.O waved at a boy with dreadlocks through the reflection in the mirror. The boy then raised his hands, making a ‘T’ sign to the others. P.O then went over to the stereo and stopped the music.

“Who do we have here?” the boy in the dreadlocks asked with a smile, while wiping the sweat on his forehead with his towel.

“Hyungs, I want you guys to meet Rin,” P.O slung his arms around Hae Rin again. “Rin, these are my hyungs. My group members.”

“Group members?” Hae Rin raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean group members?”

“God, Rin. For someone who works with idols, you’re pretty slow aren’t you?” Ji Hye rolled her eyes beside her. “They’re a group. Idols.”

The group snickered at Ji Hye’s comments.

“Idols?” Hae Rin squeaked. “Are you ing serious?”

“Yah, language woman. This is the first time you’re meeting my hyungs,” P.O punched Hae Rin’s arm lightly. “And no, we’re not idols. Not yet, at least.”

“What do you mean?” Hae Rin asked again.

“It means, they haven’t debuted yet. Seriously, Rin?” Ji Hye rolled her eyes again.

“Oh, right,” Hae Rin finally got it. “So you’re an idol-to-be?”

P.O chuckled and nodded. She’s seriously so clueless, he thought. Cute.

“Hey, aren’t you a model?” a very pretty-looking boy asked Ji Hye.

“Finally, someone noticed,” Ji Hye sighed in relief and glanced at Hae Rin and P.O. “These two are obviously too caught up with each other to introduce me.”

“Sorry,” both Hae Rin and P.O mumbled to each other.

 

 

The next 15 minutes were spent just talking. Hae Rin was getting to know the boys, also known as Block B. They were apparently preparing to debut in about few weeks time. There is Zico, the leader, better known as the boy with dreadlocks. Then there are Kyung and U-Kwon, who are both the same age as Zico. The pretty boy is known as Jaehyo. The boy with the cute dimples is B-Bomb and the shy, cute boy with the glasses is Taeil. These three are the hyungs of the group. P.O is apparently the maknae.

“So, Rin,” Zico started. “You’re the same age as P.O, but you’re already working right now? And with JYP?”

“YG too,” Ji Hye added.

The boys’ eyes widened.

“Woah, really?!” U-Kwon’s jaw dropped. “How?”

“I started out interning with YG as their designer. But I’m just freelancing with JYP at the moment because of school,” Hae Rin shrugged. “I’ll start working full-time once I’m done with school.”

“With JYP?” Zico asked.

“Nah, with YG,” Hae Rin smiled. “I prefer working with them.”

“Why, so that you won’t face Wooyoung again?” Ji Hye smirked.

Hae Rin rolled her eyes.

“Wooyoung? As in Wooyoung of 2PM?” P.O nudged Hae Rin.

“Yes, it’s the Wooyoung of 2PM,” Ji Hye replied for her friend. “He asked her out.”

“What, really?!”

“Guys, seriously. I really do not want to talk about anything JYP related right now,” Hae Rin rubbed her temples.

The boys chuckled.

“Well, we need to finish practicing now,” Zico spoke up as the leader.

“We’ll be done in half an hour, and then we’ll go for some coffee,” P.O said to Hae Rin. “Just sit here and watch us practice, is that okay?”

“Yeah, I can do that,” Hae Rin shrugged, smirking. “I’m used to this.”

“Used to seeing 2PM practicing?” Ji Hye smirked.

That earned a smack on the head from Hae Rin.

 

 

True enough, Block B were done practicing half an hour later and were given the rest of the day off. After cleaning themselves up, all of them went to the nearest Starbucks.

“We really shouldn’t be drinking coffee right now,” U-Kwon said, looking at his drink like as if he was looking at something so sinful.

“It’s only coffee, Kwonnie,” B-Bomb said. “We’re going to the gym tomorrow anyway.”

 “Yeah, lighten up, U-Kwon,” Hae Rin said. “Besides, you can never say no to caramel frappuccino.”

“And whip cream,” P.O added.

The two giggled at that.

“Oh my God,” Ji Hye exclaimed, obviously faking it. “You guys are perfect for each other.”

“Inside joke, noona, inside joke,” P.O grinned.

“You don’t have to call me noona, P.O,” Ji Hye pointed out. “I’m only a year older than you.”

“That reminds me, how come Rin don’t call you unnie when she’s the same age as P.O and you’re older than her by a year?” Kyung asked.

“That’s a very good question,” Ji Hye put her hand on her chin and turned towards Hae Rin. “Why don’t you call me unnie, Hae Rin?

“You’re only a few months older than me, don’t make it such a big deal,” Hae Rin rolled her eyes.

“How about you call me oppa then?” Zico attempted.

“How about no?” Hae Rin replied. “I just met you.”

P.O laughed at his friend’s reply. He got reminded of the time when they first met. Hae Rin had played that exact same game she just did with Zico.

“So now you’re playing the I-just-met-you-and-I-don’t-know-you-well-enough-to-call-you-my-oppa game?” he looked at her. “Feels like dejavu.”

“Okay, you two seriously have too much inside jokes between the both of you,” U-Kwon slumped in his seat. “How long have you guys known each other?”

P.O looked at Hae Rin, waiting for her to answer U-Kwon. But all she did was stare back at P.O. She sighed when she realised that P.O was expecting her answer.

“I have no idea, P.O. You tell me.”

“What? How come you don’t know how long we’ve known each other?” P.O asked in disbelief. “We’ve known each other for three months already!”

“Sorry, but I just don’t think that it matters,” Hae Rin replied.

“Hae Rin,” Ji Hye glared at her. Her friend can be really ignorant sometimes. P.O obviously was slightly hurt by her answer.

Hae Rin just sighed, not knowing what to say to try to make things better at the moment. Good thing Ji Hye’s phone rang. Saved by the bell, Hae Rin thought.

“Sorry, guys,” Ji Hye said after hanging up. “Looks like I’ll have to make a move. Gotta drop by the office.”

“We should get going too. It’s getting late, the manager will probably start ringing us up if we don’t head back,” Zico stood up as well.

“You’ll have to go back by yourself Rin, I can’t send you back. I’ve to rush to the office right now,” Ji Hye said, looking apologetic.

“Do I look like I’m five, Ji Hye?” Hae Rin responded. “Of course I can go back home myself. I’ve been doing that just fine all these while.”

“Heh, I know,” Ji Hye grinned and hugged her friend. “I’ll call you later! Bye everyone, it was nice to meet all of you!”

Block B bid goodbye to Ji Hye who got on a cab and left.

“Well then, I guess it’s my turn to say bye,” Hae Rin turned and looked at the 7 boys. “It was a pleasure meeting all of you.”

“It was our pleasure,” U-Kwon smiled.

“Yeah, nice to finally meet Caram- ow!” Zico shouted. P.O elbowed his hyung before he could finish his sentence.

“I’ll send you home,” he said to the confused Hae Rin.

“What, no, it’s okay,” Hae Rin refused. “You should head back with the rest; I don’t want you to get into trouble with your manager.”

“It’s okay, manager hyung wouldn’t mind so much,” P.O insisted.

“Let our maknae send you home, Rin,” Jaehyo backed P.O up. “It’s not safe for a girl to be walking home alone, especially at night.”

“Yeah, we’ll let the manager know, so don’t worry,” Taeil added.

 

 

It was just Hae Rin and P.O left. The rest of the Block B members had gone back to their dorm, while P.O walked Hae Rin home. The entire journey was silent. P.O had his hands in his pocket and was just looking down at his feet the entire time. Hae Rin on the other hand, was thinking. She was thinking of how comfortable she felt being around the boy beside her right now. She didn’t even know his real name yet, neither did he know hers. Yet, they could talk to each other like they’ve been friends since forever. The amazing thing was, they only knew each other for three months (according to P.O).

Hae Rin suddenly stopped in her tracks. She was finally realizing why P.O was being so quiet. Usually he would be the noisy one between them, always poking fun at her to loosen her up a little. But this time, he did not say a word. P.O stopped walking and looked back at the girl a few feet away from him.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

He’s finally talking again and it’s to ask what is wrong with you, Hae Rin. What a great friend you are, she thought.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” P.O asked again, even more concerned when she didn’t answer him. He started walking towards her. “Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry,” she finally said, looking down at her feet. She could only muster up her courage enough to apologize to him, but she could not meet his eyes. Not after hurting him.

“Why are you suddenly apologizing?” P.O asked, slightly confused.

Hae Rin just stared at the pair of shoes that stopped right in front of her. Holding her breath, she spoke up again.

“It’s not that I purposely didn’t want to remember. I just don’t think it matters so much. I mean, I know how some people find it such a big deal how long they’ve known someone. But I just- I just don’t think that it matters. I mean, it’s all about how much you know about that someone rather than how long you’ve known them, right? Sometimes you think you know everything about someone because you think you’ve known them long enough, but then it turns out that you don’t know anything much about them after all. I may have known you for only three months and even though we don’t know each other’s full name yet, I feel like I practically know all about you already. Am I making sense to you right now? I’m not, right? I-“

“Hae Rin.”

Silence.

“What… did you just call me?” Hae Rin looked up to meet his face.

“Hae Rin.”

“How did you-“

“Ji Hye called you by your full name just now,” P.O smiled. “And thank you.”

“Thank you for?” Hae Rin arched an eyebrow.

“For what you said,” P.O held Hae Rin’s face. “Thank you, for explaining. And you’re right, it doesn’t matter how long we’ve known each other. I met you. I feel like I practically know all about you too. That’s all that matters.”

Hae Rin looked at the boy in front of her. His eyes were shining in the moonlight as he said those words. His voice sounded so gentle. How can such a deep voice like his sound so gentle? How can someone she just met make her feel so safe in his hands? Unknowingly, she smiled.

“Let’s start again, shall we?” he let go of his hold on her face and held out his hand. He chuckled at the clueless look Hae Rin had on her face again. “My name is Pyo Jihoon. Friends call me P.O, but you can call me Jihoon.”

Hae Rin looked at his hands and back up at his face. Grinning, she took his hand.

“My name is Park Hae Rin. Friends call me Rin, but you can call me Hae Rin.”

“Hae Rin-ah,” P.O whispered. “I’m glad I met you.”

 


Updated because it's Woo Jiho's birthday! Hope you guys like this chapter (and sorry it took so long)!
And happy birthday to my homeboy, Zico! Glad to have him back (:

My BBC feels ;A;