Terrified - Part VI

Seuss: Terrified

Week 3

Day 11

The meeting went as planned. Ella sat three seats away from Wu Chun and kept still, her eyes glued on the table the laptops rested on. The meeting was about a new concept of an Acer laptop which, she wasn’t much focused on. The only thing, after all, that she should be involved on is the write-up for an article for the said laptop. So, well, maybe she needs to kind of focus on the said topic, too, but oh well.

Wu Chun kept glancing at Ella Chen’s direction, on the other hand. He’d sip the coffee Charlene served from time-to-time and inhaled-exhaled deeply looking at the power point one of his employees presented. In actual fact, he wasn’t much focused on the matter. For now, he just wanted to see her and maybe, if a miracle happen unexpectedly (or expectedly, for that matter): he wants to see Ella Chen’s bubbly side once again. For now, he wasn’t quite sure why he would like to see that, he simply just does.

--

Day 12

Surely, these days, Ella Chen couldn’t be bothered, but she can’t help but notice how he obviously gets in her way.

One time, he goes to the pantry the same time she does to get his own cup of coffee. She simply ignored him when he’d went in with her in it already, but she knew he attempted a conversation so she briskly walked out not putting sugar on her creamed coffee.

The second time around, he dropped his folder just before she sat on her cubicle in purpose, hoping she would pick it up. She did pick it up, actually. Although when he’d say ‘Thank you’, she just smirked at him in response and it read: ‘Please be more careful next time.’ in an agitated manner he could ever think of.

The third time…starts now:

“You going yet?” Charlene asked, walking at the edge of Ella’s cubicle to take a look at how busy she was, probably.

“In five minutes,” Ella smiled in response, looking up at the secretary. “You look tired.”

“Yeah,” the other replied in a sigh. “He’s been making me do so many stuff unnecessary for a secretary’s job. I bet you wouldn’t believe me if I told you he made me count his bills and check his cellular phone if someone, by any chance, text him. He’s in a mess today, I suppose.”

“He always is, actually,” Ella deadpanned, collecting her bag from the table she worked on. “It’s up 5 minutes, I need to go.”

“Alright, bye.”

5 minutes after Ella left the building…

“Charlene, has Ms. Chen left yet?” Chun asked, not minding whether or not his secretary be suspicious of his question. He then typed a period on the last sentence he was typing up for a business proposal, and immediately folded his laptop once done.

“5 minutes ago,” the secretary replied.

“Alright,” he said. “I have to go. And because I am going, I suppose you could go too already, right?”

“Uhhh, yeah. Thanks,” she replied with much sarcasm. Her boss sure is weird, she is in no doubt of it.

--

After putting his car on hazard outside 7 Eleven, the store Ella walked in, he waited for a while outside. Nothing would’ve bothered him if not for an employee of his asking for a very important question on the field of business he was working on. He lost track of Ella in the process as he scanned a folder in his car that involved the question the employee was asking about and after 10 more minutes that she didn’t come out, he decided he should take a look himself. Sure enough, she wasn’t there anymore. She must’ve gone out when he was busy talking to his employee and scanning through his folder of files.

After which, he’s decided he should stalk her some more the days after this failure kind of stalk.

--

Day 13

‘Why was I even following her yesterday night?’ Wu Chun asked himself as soon as he settled on his office. ‘That’s so stupid,’ he lectured himself, hitting his forehead with his right palm. ‘I know I haven’t had a girlfriend in years, but what I just did last night seemed desperate!’

And maybe he was in fact desperate or really just falling in love or learning to like the woman. Ella Chen, of course.

‘Should I resign already?’ Ella asked herself, resting her head on top of her shoulders draped about her office desk. ‘This job is not getting me no where, honestly. I’m not even happy anymore. But no, if I resign…I’d need to give a two weeks notice before leaving,’ and then she sighed, not knowing exactly what to do. “I know!” she exclaimed unexpectedly then. ‘I’ll file for leave for a week or so, so that he might want to fire me.’

So she did. And maybe Chun didn’t quite catch that until he saw something Chen-related in one of the documents pending for his approval, calling for Ella Chen to report to his office.

“What is this?” he asked, waving Ella’s file of leave.

“Isn’t is obvious I’m filing a leave?” she deadpanned in answer. “As an employee, I certainly have rights, don’t I?”

So he nodded, “Fine, you do have a point, but being a new employee doesn’t help your file of leave. Are there any occasions?”

“If there be any occasion I will be attending, I beg to agree that you certainly have nothing to do with whatever rendezvous it is,” she rolled her eyes. She was definitely trying to pop her boss’ veins at the moment, only that she didn’t quite expect for him to act strongly over the matter. Not that it mattered to him much if she filed for leave, right? Her boss sure is weird.

“Continue giving me that attitude and I’ll fire you, Ms. Chen,” he said, unexpectedly calm.

“Then do so!” she said, as agreeable as she could. “Anyway, I’m giving you a warning that I might resign anytime in two weeks time.”

And Wu Chun was left dumbfounded. And just how long will Ella Chen’s leave last? 5 long days.

--

Early Saturday morning, Wu Chun dropped by the Chen’s and greeted by Ella’s mom as he’d done so. Her mom insisted he come inside, yet he was only trying to pester her of Ella’s whereabouts.

The night before, Ella had reminded her mother not to inform of anyone who would visit her that she was home. She just needed some time away from everything else going in her life. It’s not that she needed time away from her family too, for that matter, so she chose her house the perfect place just as she’s filed for leave.

But to no avail, Wu Chun is unsuccessful of finding out that least bit of information. In fact, her mother told him that she didn’t drop by the house to even say goodbye or at least leave a note behind that she was leaving. He thought it impossible, so she contemplated on the swing right in front of the Chen’s house.

--

“Is he gone yet?” she enquired, hands on the edge of the staircase railing.

“I’m afraid so he is,” her mother replied. “I don’t know what’s gotten into you, missy. You couldn’t do that to your job. From the looks of it, he looks like he’d likely want to fire you in an instant he sees you.”

“I don’t care,” she implied. “I am actually trying to do that.”

“But why are you doing it the hard way?” her mother asked. “Why don’t you just file for resignation? Then voila, you’re done!”

“I don’t know,” she replied, digging on to her Yoplait yogurt. “Actually, I’ve thought of that. It’s just that I feel like my mind was paying tribute to games, so I conducted one. Only that I did it on him.”

“I’ve been hearing witty remarks from you ever since you worked for Mr. Wu,” her mother remarked. “What happened to Mr. Yan?”

And she angrily glared at her mom before saying, “Mom, I need some respect. Do not. I repeat: do not say his name in front of me ever again.”

Then Ella Chen walked away…out the door of their house meeting someone unexpected and rather familiar. Well, that is after putting her empty Yoplait yogurt cup in the trash bin.

She was shocked at first, but then that shocked face turned to an agitated one instead.

“Some people really are busy bodies, don’t you think?” Ella started.

“And some people do really just stay home when in fact they told their boss they’d go on an occasion?” he asked back.

“But that person didn’t really specify to her boss that she was going overseas or rather somewhere far away from wherever, right?” she smirked.

“Okay,” he said. “But what do you think exactly am I doing waiting outside your house, completely bothered about your well-being?”

“I don’t know and I don’t even care,” she implied with batting lashes and a smile creepily plastered on her face. Just right after, she rushed to the house’s door and closed it with quite strong a force.

In reality, Ella was just as curious as to why her boss would even bother dropping by her house to check if she really meant it leaving for a few days time for an occasion. Her heartbeat accelerated as she leaned on the back of their front door’s house. She couldn’t help but be bothered about her terrified feelings for him. She couldn’t.

And because she filed for leave for 5 long days, she decided mentally that she’s going to Kenting early thing tomorrow on a Sunday.

--

“Charlene,“ the person on the other line said, “I’ll be out from Monday to Friday this week. I just feel like it. I don’t know why. I’ve asked my elder brother Daniel to replace me for the meanwhile. I’ve also informed my father, so he’s got nothing to get mad at me for, alright? Just don’t get on Daniel’s bad side and you’ll be fine just like any other time he has substituted for me and he knows the drill and everything, so it’s less stress on your part because he’s not as strict as I. Good luck!”

He said that after he’s got tired chasing at Ella Chen for.

--

Monday

“Ron, why are you so slow?” Ella complained, a little uncomfortable of the black two-piece she donned and the prying eyes from the crowd of people. Definitely, Arron being slow didn‘t help at all in reducing that little feeling of consciousness. “Don’t tell me you’ve still got that phobia of sand?” she laughed.

They’ve been at Swan Lake Villa early yesterday when Ella spouted the brilliant idea. It’s nearing sunset, so it’s perfect timing at noon with them near the shore.

“Well, I’m sorry, mom was calling,” he implied, after the so-called call. “And of course not, sister almighty.” And then Arron ran, chasing after his sister in his trunks alone.

“By the way, have you settled the dispute between you and your professor in Chemistry?” she asked, now walking side-by-side her brother.

“You make it sound like I’m the bad student here,” he commented. “But then, yup, I have. I told Gui Gui to take notes for me for the meanwhile we’re here. I might be leaving two days before you go, though.”

“I don’t want to look like a loner, Ron,” she pouted, pulling her brother’s arm. “And I seriously don’t want mom and her boyfriend left alone with me here, considering the fact that they decided to stay at the cottages.”

“Wouldn’t that be excellent then?” he comforted his sister. “It’s surely the perfect time to fish for the right one.”

“And when exactly did you learn to use that phrase of sorts with me, huh?” she rose up a brow, looking at her brother with a smirk.

“I learned that from Heb–”

“What’s that?” she asked her brother, not quite catching what he just said. When she noticed Arron staring at something behind her, she looked at her back and saw Jerry a couple of meters from them, seated and watching the beach.

“I’m not sure it’s him, but I sure am not hallucinating,” she remarked.

“Are you okay?” he asked her sister in concern.

“Of course!” she exclaimed. “Although you can’t let him see me because I don’t want him to think I don’t have anyone with me. Come to think of it, where’s his girlfriend?”

“I have no idea,” he replied. “Maybe she was just rebound after you.”

“That’s cruel, Arron,” she laughed. “Do you think he’s stalking me?”

“You’re so full of yourself, my sister!” he laughed as well. “And I don’t think so, because he doesn’t even have the least bit of knowledge we’re here. And look, there’s his girlfriend.”

“We’ve got to get out of here, Ron,” she said, pushing her brother a little to walk steps away from where they were as she hid behind him.

“I know, I know, but you’ve got to see this,” he cut in. “Hitting two birds with one stone today.”

And from a distance as Ella peeked to see who was it Arron was talking about, he saw a hunk with a hot bod in his trunks. The funny thing is that it was his boss, only with a pair of shades this time. This time, too, she couldn’t be mistaken or mistake herself hallucinating for she’s seen him wear glasses the other time and surely, wearing shades wouldn’t much differ.

“That’s one more problem,” she whispered. “Don’t let him see me, too. He’s such a stalker. I hate him!” she cursed. “And to think he’s merely just my boss.”

“And then again, Ms. Chen, you’re all over thinking both guys are all over you,” he counter-attacked his sister, moving aside to expose his sister to her boss.

She then looked up, trying to make herself look like a fool by doing so.

“Oh just great, Ron,” she muttered. “Just you wait and see what I’ll be doing to you once we get back to the cottage. Even more worst, he brought his girlfriend along too.”

But little did Ella know Arron was spying on Wu Chun’s so-called girlfriend, too.

--

© Meng Rui Fan