Terrified - Part III

Seuss: Terrified

“Please take a seat,” Chun had instructed just after hearing his office door’s swing. He was currently fixing business files behind him so he was facing back, but once he turned his office chair around to have a glance at the soon-to-be employee, he was shocked for words and placed a finger or two upon his lips to calm himself.

“Is anything wrong, sir?” the lady asked, with an impish drawing of her lips.

“Um, I just remembered something,” and there was awkward silence that built up. “Your resume? And what would I call you with, if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Ella Chen, sir,” Ella smiled, handing a copy of her resume

“Okay, um,” he scanned through her resume - looking at her past job experiences, the year she graduated in and the course she took before working times: Minor in B.S. Psychology and previously earned a B.A. degree from the United States in the year 2002, although unspecified as to what field. It didn’t look like it actually when you look at Ella Chen, but since it had proof and she looked decent enough for the age of 26, Chun was bound to accept it.

“Sir?”

“Yeah, um, the company will contact you immediately the time you start working,” he said, exhaling soundly. It seemed as if it was out of frustration or something along the line.

Ella exited the door in pure confusion mixed with nervousness. Charlene greeted her as she had, “So how was it?” Charlene was all smiles.

“It’s sad,” she admitted. “He didn’t look all that pleased. I couldn’t figure what he was thinking. He looked like he was in search of something out of the information of my resume and also looked as if something was amiss.”

“I’m sure he’ll have us call you back,” Charlene said. “He’s actually in good spirits these days.”

“Alright,” Ella smirked. “I’ll just wait for the company call whenever and get to work. I’ll be expecting.”

Then she exited. With a smile, it is.

--

Arron had just finished fixing the bathroom sink when Ella entered the house drifting past the living room and terribly food hunting as she opened the fridge.

“Sadly, mom hadn’t sent us money for groceries,” Arron chimed and whisked his wet hands onto her sister.

She only glared at him and then immediately changed moods after that and said, “Buddy, let’s go out. My treat. And if I have enough money, we’ll refill the fridge. We‘re getting older. I think it‘s best if we be more independent.”

“Really?” Arron asked excitedly. “First time you’re acting your age.”

“Stop complimenting, it won’t get you anywhere,” Ella said, rolling her eyes at him. “Just get on with it, take-a-bath, and we’ll leave. I’ll wait for you here downstairs.”

“Oh, wait,” Arron stopped, hands on the railings of the staircase already. “Who will drive the Volkswagen?”

“I will.”

--

Ella walked arms clasped with Arron who looked utterly comfortable with the way her sister clung onto him as they roamed about the mall.

He was afraid nothing would be left off her money that she told him would be used to refill their empty fridge for she kept going in and out of shops with him trailing behind and coming out with a paper bag in hand. It felt frustrating. He only accompanied her for the treat she told him about, but it didn’t quite turn out that way. It was, actually, a treat for herself.

Then all of a sudden, her sister was put to a halt, looking at the walking couple towards them. It was Jerry. Worst: with his new girlfriend. Arron watched as her sister gulped and breathe in heavy and soundly air.

Ella donned a bitter smile. She kept blinking the tears at the corner of her eyes and trying to keep her bitter smile intact. Jerry hadn’t noticed her even if she did stop. He was having so much fun with his new girl and that was making Ella uncomfortable.

“Arron,” she whispered.

“Yes?” he asked politely, afraid to upset his sister.

“Can I treat you out another day instead?” she asked.

And even if it did upset Arron a little after going all out in the mall with her thrifty sister’s attitude today, he nodded and drove home with her with Ella behind the wheel. It made him sad seeing his sister like that, but he couldn’t quite do anything about it. Ella had a weak heart and he knew that very well. The only thing that made him this sad only is the fact that he wasn’t able to prevent the pain Jerry inflicted upon his sister.

--

PS: I’d just like to remind all readers that the story won’t revolve around Ella’s insecure feelings of her and Jerry’s break up. It will revolve around her terrifying experience with Chun, so Jerry’s just an obstacle Ella has to go through and forget and Chun would be the help she receives. Although, yes, details of her break-up with Jerry would still be evident.

And I’m so sorry the story’s going too slow for everyone’s liking.

The last two or more chappies would be long, so be ready. :) I'm updating later, actually.

And I think the idea for 'Seuss' (SOOS) is broken by this story. I thought this would just be a one-shot, but no...it's not, I'm wrong. But rest assured, the next stories to be published will be solely shots.

© Meng Rui Fan