Terrified - Part X (Portion I)

Seuss: Terrified

Week 4

Day 18

Actually also the 40th day they’ve known each other’s existence.

“Okay, so…when I enter his office…I won’t say anything. I’ll act as if I’m mad at him oh, or maybe awkward!” she talked on her own, just a couple of meters away from the company. But this time it was rather different, for walking through the halls of the 15th floor she radiated a vibrant aura.

But when she found out Charlene carrying a trolley bag and a jacket hanged at it, she knew something was wrong.

“Where are you going?” she asked in curiosity, stopping to check what was up.

“The boss is in Singapore. He’s having his stuff shipped immediately. I was just informed lately. It’s a quickie, after all. Didn’t the boss tell you?” the latter replied. “He went earlier today because he’s the important person in the matter. By the way, it’s a nice and vibrant aura you’re wearing today, Ella.”

“Thanks,” she bit her lip, not knowing what to say on the earlier matter since Charlene had switched topics.

“Oh, sir Daniel Wu is substituting for the boss. It’s his older brother, so…wait, I have a call…- Yes, sir. Alright. All your things are ready to be shipped.”

Ella looked at her dumbly. She was lost. Why hadn’t he even told her he was leaving just right after yesterday when he made her feel like she was on top of the world and maybe…partially in love with…him?

“Ella,“ Charlene chimed.

The information alone of him leaving shattered her heart to pieces, but it dawned on her that they were nothing more than friends, so maybe it wasn‘t important for him to tell her. But then again, he could have at least told her because after all…he’s proven that she meant something to him. Maybe they were barely on the stage of mutual understanding, but still…!?

“Ella,” Charlene called out for the second time, this time snapping her out of reverie.

But that was the last thing Charlene had said before Ella completely spaced out and went back to her work in so much silence, meditating...

‘What’s the use of sulking over someone who went away, any way? And to think he isn’t my boyfriend. It will just make me look weaker and…maybe it’s my fault after all that’s why he’s pursuing that stupid trip. Oh, and maybe it isn’t the right time to fall in love again. But it’s sort of undeniable…I miss his face and…our arguments,” she sighed, talking to herself mentally.

--
17 days after… (without Chun)
--

Week 7

Day 29 (still not including non-working days)

“Oh my gosh, Ella! What exactly is that?” Charlene asked, stooping over Ella’s cubicle right after giving her a mail from the proxy boss.

“Why didn’t you open it?” the latter asked lifelessly. “It’s not like I would be mad or anything.”

“But he said it’s confidential and he knows I love gossips, so you know…” the other laughed lightly.

“It’s a before 30 days termination notice,” Ella whispered, right after getting the papers out of the envelope. It didn’t surprise her, though. Actually, days before, she was sort of expecting it. What surprised her is that Daniel should’ve just spoken to her about it, but that isn’t important.

“Oh,” Charlene let out a gasp, sad for her fellow worker and friend albeit the closest to her in the entire department and office. “That reminds me…you haven’t been so active lately. According to what I remember: you were late for 5 consecutive days last week, you slept at your cubicle with the boss taking notice of it, you were eating in your table, and…”

“Alright, alright, no need to remind me anymore,” Ella sighed. “Should I quit before he fires me, then?”

“Ella, no, please,” Charlene pouted. “You’re the closest friend I have in the office. Can you imagine me all alone with no one to talk to?”

“I can visit you anytime, you know,” the other replied.

“What’s been happening to you, anyway?” the secretary asked.

“Nothing important that you must know,” the other replied with a straight face.

“But I’m your friend!” Charlene exclaimed, shaking Ella with her hands on both side of her shoulders.

“But Char...”

Two words and it shut Charlene up. She sort of had an idea, though. I mean…what or WHO exactly is it that’s been bothering Ella’s mind lately getting all this cranky and lazy at work. But then again, she knows better to wait than to force the matter out of her.

--
7 more days after the 17th (the 22nd day without Chun)…
--

Day 34

As she entered the house tired, she noticed her mother, Renzo, and Arron all at the sofa. They have been probably waiting for her since who knows when, so she walked toward the three and asked before anyone else could say anything as to why they look like they‘ve been waiting for her.

“Ellie!” her mother exclaimed, standing up to claim her daughter in a warm embrace, but Ella could only shrug and reject the sweet offer from her mother.

“Mom, I‘m not in the mood,” she admitted honestly, getting her mother‘s mouth form a smirk.

“Okay, I‘ll let you off since you look like you‘re tired out from work,” her mother said. “But I‘ll have you know that Renzo and I in 10 days time will be having a civil wedding!” her mother was so up and about, yet Ella could only nod and give her the smallest of smiles she‘s ever given away. “Oh, you‘re not happy?”

“Mom, I‘m happy for the both of you, really. Renzo seems a nice man, anyway, but I‘ll have you know that in 23 days time, I may be getting fired. I just found out 7 days ago. I‘m so sorry for not having to tell you earlier.”

At the back of her mother‘s mind, she felt so much pain witnessing her daughter in that state. She couldn‘t help but feel a little discriminated for her daughter by Wu Chun, but she doesn‘t know the gist of anything. After all, her daughter hasn‘t been telling her anything going on in her life lately - what more about her daughter‘s terrified feelings for Wu Chun? Who, in fact, not even a month ago, left without leaving behind a word or two of goodbye.

--
22 days after the 22nd day (the 44th day without Chun beside Ella)…
--

“Not going to work?” Arron greeted a sleepy Ella walking out of her room at 10:09 AM.

“What’s the use?” she asked. “I’m getting fired tomorrow. I’ll worry about my stuff later on.”

“Ella, do you feel hate toward someone right now?” the younger brother suddenly asked, unexpectedly calling her ‘elder’ sister by her name alone.

Before she could say anything, she rose up a brow at her brother who just called her by her first name without even adding the ‘jie’ or ‘elder sister’ part, but deep down…she knows she could care less, so she just said, “Why do you speak as if you know anything at all?” and she asked this as she drank water at an early morning.

“So you actually do?” he didn’t exactly answer her question. He actually just asked her back with an inquiry.

“Hm…maybe not hate,” she stopped, putting her empty mug on the sink and moving her brother’s aside so she could sit beside him on the sofa. “Just a little immature or you know…that feeling of longing, actually. I’m a little pissed, yes, but let’s not say hate,” she paused before whispering, ‘It’s not like I’m her girlfriend or anything, anyway.’

“Oh, so you do know you’re immature?” when he asked this, he only received a glare from her sister; pushing aside that little information he heard her whisper. He then sighed afterward before continuing, “Anyway…setting that aside…“

“Wait!“ she exclaimed. “I have a random question,“ she looked at him seriously. “Should I get back with Jerry Yan?“

“So you think talking about Jerry almost every other day will make your heart heal?” he asked ridiculously, kind of straying from the topic.

“It’s not like I talk about him every other day!” she exclaimed in response. “Actually, it’s been days since I last mentioned his name.”

“So you think making your heart broken by going back to that someone’s arms who’s probably treating you as rebound will make Chun any happier than you are now? Think about it, Ella. Think about it. He did leave you, but after 3 months, who do you think you enjoyed most of your time with? Who do you think is that someone who you let down yet didn’t give up?”

“He gave up, Arron. He did. Don’t try to make it sound like he’s not human. He’s not numb. He knows how to give up, Arron. He does. I broke his heart and by breaking his, I break mine,” she said this all in one go, not even pondering for a minute or two how Arron got to know of these little facts. Until… “Hey, what are you exactly talking about?”

“I…” Arron was only left speechless, before he actually thought of a very intelligent opening yet again, “I…I’ll have you know that I knew all of these thanks to a certain Ms. Choi.”

“That blabber!” she exclaimed, hands on her hips. It hadn’t even occurred to her mind that she didn’t exactly tell Charlene anything about Chun at all.

“But you know…it’s not exactly all that bad with her telling me all those little details about my dear elder sister,” he said. “I actually think it’s time for my elder sister to move on. I know she found a great man in form of a certain Chun that I’ve actually met a month ago and knew more about through his sister. Ella jie, 4 months ago, someone else was the reason for your broken heart. When he comes back and maybe asks you again, I guess you should go for it.”

Then she smiled, broke into fresh tears of laughter before burying her head on her brother’s chest.

“But before you could continue with your untimely and abnormal fits of laughter and tears, I’ll have you know that hating someone has two sides to it,” he said in a muffled voice, her sister actually tightly embracing him. “It’s either you’re afraid you couldn’t have that person or actually jealous of what he has.”

“But I just said I don’t hate him!” she exclaimed, still crying and laughing at the same time.

At the back of Arron’s mind, he knew he made her elder sister’s mind clearer and with her laughing is a positive sign of it. But apart from all these, the reason why he knew of all those information about Chun and her sister is none other than because someone was back at the city earlier than scheduled that he be back.

--
A day after the 44th day (possibly with Chun coming back, just…maybe…we‘ll see about that)…
--

Ella, for the first time in the day and after a day of absence, entered Acer Inc. She knew all too well this was her day due being fired. She hasn’t exactly done anything prior to that, though. Like doing her best in her work, for example. She actually just stepped in to claim…all that she owned in that company in a specific department.

“The boss is back!” someone exclaimed from behind the lobby.

Looking outside the transparent glasses of the lobby, true enough, Ella spotted a familiar car and coming out of it was a familiar face she knew she missed. But that didn’t give her the initiative to come at him and make her presence known. Instead, she let herself drown in her insecurities and immediately hid from him nearest the walls of the lobby’s comfort rooms.

Unfortunate enough, as she leaned her back on the cold marble walls nearest the comfort rooms, she didn’t even notice him coming her way. Maybe it was actually Chun’s instinct telling him to take a pee at the lobby’s comfort room albeit he had a private restroom on the 15th floor, but then again…maybe it was urgent or maybe…a deeper meaning. For example, seeing her once again. Which, in actual fact is happening right at the very moment.

He stopped, then, his eyes meeting with a very familiar gaze from his right. Most likely, he be thinking why for all places there are…must he meet her here, but that didn’t even matter now.

Acting at impulse, she ran from where she stood breaking the heating staring game versus Chun. Running out the company, she looked left and right, thinking…, but she just let her feet take her away for a run to where she’s destined to be.

By this time, they’ve ran a couple of meters from where the company is. Quite unexpectedly, no one from the lobby had bothered to check what was up with their boss running in haste for no particular reason the lobby people knew of.

3 meters apart…

“Ella, Ella, wait!” he exclaimed, stopping a while to take a breath. He was obviously…panting with his hands on his knees.

But she runs again.

And he chases her just as enthusiastically.

That is, before actually cornering her at a dead end.

It was game over for her.

For now, he wins.

And then again, all the terrifying things that happened between them before flooded her tired mind.

--

© Meng Rui Fan