Chapter 4

Always

Two weeks later...

 

It was afternoon when Hana opened the door of her apartment to see Daesung stood in front of it. He raised his right hand which held a plastic bag.

"Hi!"

She couldn't help but smiling while leaning on the door. She didn't even know why but it always felt good to see Daesung and to be greeted with his smile, especially after a long week. He liked showing up in front of her door. When he did and smiled at her, he was always able to cure her from her tiring day. He'd always look for her when he had time, good or bad. So did she. She always loved it.

"Bad day? Good day?" he guessed casually.

Oh, and how she loved the way he talked with his husky voice.

"Bad...week," she answered with a tired smile.

Daesung chuckled. "Tell me about it." He walked inside and put the plastic bag on the kitchen table. Then he went to the couch and sat there. He watched Hana as she checked what was inside of the plastic bag. "It's just some food," he said to her. He could guess what was in her mind.

She lifted her head with a confuse look. "What is it for?"

He raised his shoulders, pretended not to care. "Maybe I just miss eating with you," he said.

"We had dinner together two weeks ago," she said as she walked to him, "when you overslept here, remember?" She sat next to him on the couch and looked at him with all her attention.

"Yeah. Can't we have that kind of night, at least, every week?" he asked, more to himself.

Hana laughed. "Yes, we can, but then President Yang will scold you to come to the office and Jiyong oppa will lock you at the practice room."

"Ah, right," he said playfully. He sighed and looked at her in the eyes. He smiled so peacefully. "How are you?"

"You know, usual stuffs," she said looking down.

"Too usual?"

"Yeah," Hana chuckled, "I'm just tired with my life."

Daesung laughed a little. "Hey, life is a beautiful journey but people seem to make it complicated. Always be thankful."

Hana glanced at him. "You know, you're good with words."

Daesung nodded. "There are many things that I'm really good at that you don't know yet." 

Hana laughed. She really did miss this guy. He got too busy since the day he decided to be a trainee in YG, so did Hana when she wanted to try out to be a model. They didn't really have that much time together anymore. They only met once a month, at night or because of special occasion, in the middle of their tight schedules while hiding from paparazzi or fans because they wanted to have an enjoyable conversation. Sometime, they sent text message to each other and when they were about to reply it, they had to put it off because of other thing their managers wanted them to do. They had to wait for another week or month to contact each other again. What sadder was when they were at the same studio for photoshoots but they only could say hi to each other and leave just like that. She never really missed Hyunki as much as she missed Daesung. She admitted that now.

"How are you? You never tell things to me anymore," she said softly, turned her body to fully face him and paid attention to him.

Daesung smiled a little and it looked so sad somehow. "I'm fine."

"Hm, really? Come on, tell me."

"Tell you what? I don't really have anything to tell."

Hana shook her head, didn't believe him. "Just tell me things. Talk to me about anything," she said. She waited for him to talk but he wasn't really sure what to say. "Tell me about Big Bang. There's a rumour that you guys are breaking up. It's not...true, right?"

"We're..." he hesitated, "fine."

"Really? Just...fine?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "just fine. There were some problems but we try to fix them now. We want to live like this forever."

"I'm glad then."

"I miss you."

The smile on Hana's face faded away. No. Not because she didn't like it. She was just surprised. She was the one who kept saying that she missed him. All the time. But, why did those words come out from his mouth? That he missed her? Wait, isn't it supposed to be normal to miss you best friend? She couldn't take her eyes off of Daesung's expression. Well, he seemed awkward.

Hana tried to relax so she laid her head on the couch. "I miss you too, Kang Daesung," she said without hesitation.

Daesung's expression changed. He smiled brightly and looked curious at the same time. "We really should spend more time together."

"Yes, we do."

They stayed quiet for a moment. Not an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. They were drowned in their own minds. But, a sudden guilty feeling toward Hyunki came up in Daesung's mind. He felt like he was betraying him, although they didn't do anything.

"I'm hungry. I'll prepare the food," he said as he stood up and walked to the kitchen.

"I'll help." Hana stood up too and ran a little, following him.

They remained silence while in the kitchen, trying to focus to what they were doing. Until Daesung hummed and called Hana's name.

"Have you heard from Hyunki lately?" he asked, taking the plates on both of his hands and put them on the kitchen table then sat.

Hana opened her refrigerator and took a plate of chocolate pudding. "You want pudding?" she asked and looked at Daesung who nodded innocently while waiting for her to finish whatever she was doing at the kitchen table. "No, I haven't heard from him for a while."

"When was the last time you have contact with him?" he asked.

Hana walked to the kitchen table and put two glasses of water on it. "Right after you overslept here."

"Me too," he mumbled.

Hana sat across the table and started to eat. Daesung ate too.

"Don't you think we should worry about him? What if he's gone?" he asked.

"Hm," Hana hummed quietly, "don't you think his manager would call us to find out where he is if he's gone?"

Daesung nodded. "Right."

Suddenly, Daesung's phone rang in the living room. He looked at his watch. It was still 3 pm. He only had schedule for a radio show after 6 pm. So, it wasn't a bad news who called him now, He walked to the living room and took his phone then walked back to the kitchen table.

"Hello," he said politely.

"Dae, we have an emergency meeting with President Yang now," his manager spoke on the phone.

Daesung sat back with a tired expression, but he tried so hard not to make a sound so he couldn't hear him. "Oh, yeah, I'm still out now. But, I'll be there soon."

"Where are you?" another voice shouted across the line. Daesung knew it was TOP.

"We're already on our way, Dae," another voice sounded like GD.

"I'm still at Hana's place. It's not too far from the office," he said, starting to pay attention to his food again.

"Again?! You always forget about time when you're with her!" GD protested.

"That's not true! It was only that one time when I overslept here!" Daesung defended himself. Hana laughed quietly watching him.

"Yah!" TOP shouted, again, "Just come here before us!!"

"Yah! I try to talk with Daesung here!" his manager yelled back to GD and TOP.

"Alright, I'll finish my food. Bye!" Daesung hang up. He rolled her eyes.

Hana laughed again, this time with a sound. "An emergency call?" she asked.

Daesung nodded while pouting. "I should finish this quickly and no more discussion or they'll kill me."

Daesung finished his food in a few minutes. Hana hadn't even finished her food when she had to walk him to the door.

Hana opened the door and stepped aside. She leaned to the door, looking at him with a sincere smile. She knew what he had been through to be like this. She couldn't feel any prouder every time she remembered his efforts to be in his place now, as Kang Daesung of Big Bang. Suddenly, all of her problems seemed to be lighter when she compared them to Daesung's. His father's prohibition to be a singer, the problem with his vocal cord in the beginning of Big Bang's debut year, car accident in 2009. There were many things that people didn't know how he felt because he always tried too hard to impress other people. Even when he smiled, nobody really knew if it was true or not. 

Daesung put his shoes on and then lifted his head to look at her. "Why?" he asked.

"Are you happy, Dae?"

Daesung looked back to his shoes and stood awkwardly. He was nervous because of that intense look she gave him. He didn't feel comfortable, but it was not like he could just walk away. "Yes. Are you?"

She nodded happily. "I am, even though things don't always happen the way I wanted, but like you said, I'll always be thankful." She moved forward closer to Daesung. "Promise me something."

"What?"

"Promise me that you'll always talk. To me or Hyunki, to your members, to your family, to your fans out there. To those people who believe in you. Promise me that you'll always smile and cry. Promise me to never hide yourself anymore. Screw what people say. You're here because of you, not them."

Daesung gave her a small smile. Pity. "Those are a lot of things to be promised."

Hana held his hand. "Just say you promise."

Daesung lifted his head and looked into her eyes. He could see how serious she was. Every little things that she said because she cared. Yes, she cared. "I promise."

Hana smiled. She looked relieve. She was about to let go of his hand when Daesung's turn to hold her hand and pulled her body closer to him. Hana looked at him with a confuse look, but she stayed still. She did not want to do anything with it. Both of them didn't say a word as they moved closer and closer to each other.  They could feel each other's breath. Daesung's nose almost touched Hana's when he stopped moving forward.

Daesung opened his mouth. "I-"

Say it, Dae. Please just say it.

And it was like Daesung could read her mind. He lost confidence. He suddenly let her hand go. He pulled his head and looked away. "I'm sorry," he said awkwardly.

Hana gathered all of her consiousness and looked down. She rested her back against the door again. "Yo-you'll be in trouble if you don't leave now."

"Right," he whispered. A part of him was disappointed, but there was no reason for him to stay anymore too. He cursed himself for being stupid. More like for being a jerk. What was that? Why did he do that? Did he try to kiss her? He did try to kiss her and suddenly he just looked away? STUPID, KANG DAESUNG! She's not just some girl! She's your close friend! And it's not like it is okay to do that to an ordinary girl, but still you did that to your close friend!

"I'll call you," he said and turned his back.

He walked fast toward the elevator. He pressed the button and waited. He could still see Hana's door still opened and she was standing on the edge of it from the corner of his eye. He tapped his foot nervously. He almost jumped to the emergency stairs and ran away, but it'd look weird. It was nothing, right? There is nothing to be worried, right? But he couldn't stand being stare by Hana.

"Dae," she called him.

Daesung looked to the side, right into her eyes.

She smiled. "It's okay," she said and then waved, "don't forget to call me. Bye." She closed her door.

Daesung looked to the front again. The elevator's door opened and he stepped inside. He felt weak. He leaned to the wall and sighed. What did she mean? What is okay? Did she mean it's okay to kiss her or it's okay to not kiss her?