Chapter 6

Together We Cry

 

"Remember the first time we spoke?" Jiyul asked, breaking the silence between the two when she finally decided she was out of her teary mode.
 
 
 
"Yeah..." he replied, "I walked into the Ladies'."
 
 
 
 
Jiyul smiled softly as she remembered the look on his face when he realized his mistake.
 
 
 
 
"You were hilarious, Byunghee ah." she chuckled, staring into space as she spoke. G.O was confused as to where she was getting at. But Jiyul was smiling again, so he couldn't help but laugh along.
 
 
 
"And our first date... we were having tests then, so we had our date in the library."
 
 
 
"Yeah. We ended up getting chased out because we couldn't control our laughter." G.O added.
 
 
 
"And when you asked me to move in..." she giggled.
 
 
 
 
"The first thing you did was ask if you could bring your stray cat along." he laughed, remembering how adorable his girlfriend is.
 
 
 
"But it ran away even before I moved over..." Jiyul pouted.
 
 
 
 
G.O turned to her, all of a sudden extremely afraid of losing that voice, that smile, that pout, those endless hugs and shy kisses. All the things he couldn't imagine himself living without anymore. But all the things he wanted to say...he couldn't. Not when his heart was pounding so wildly.
 
 
 
"Do you still find happiness in those memories, Byunghee?" Jiyul spurted, causing G.O's shoulders to slump. For a moment there, he thought things were going to be ok. He thought she was happy again, and that she was ready to take him back. But the sudden sorrow in her eyes burst his bubble completely and sent his heart falling to the pits of his stomach once more. 
 
 
 
 
"No, wait." she quickly said, "I don't want to know."
 
 
 
 
"Jiyul..."
 
 
 
 
"Byunghee... I'm sorry..." she whimpered, the tears resurfacing, "I must have disappointed you. I'm not as interesting, or as fun as you thought. Yet you had to stay on with me. That's why you avoided being home, isn't it?"
 
 
 
 
 
As he watched his girlfriend broke down and apologize over and over again, G.O felt his heart being torn into a million pieces in slow, torturous steps. He had never seen Jiyul so weak, so vulnerable. The amount of tears she cried in that one day held all the hurt he had brought her throughout their relationship...all the things she kept inside, believing that everything will turn out for the better. Never had he thought he would bring the most precious angel in his life such emotional turmoil. And as much as it crushed her each time he left her without hesitation, it crushed him, as he fought to tear down that prideful mask.
 
 
 
 
After a few moments of crying, Jiyul found herself wrapped in a pair of warm arms. She looked up with teary eyes to find G.O weeping as he tightened his hold on her, as if his life depended on it.
 
 
 
 
For the next half an hour, they both bawled their eyes out. Jiyul mourned, for the beautiful memories she treasured, for the three years of her life she devoted to the man who promised to bring her happiness, and for the love she had for him, which she was convinced she had to let go.
 
 
 
Jiyul soon fell asleep in the embrace she found such comfort in. G.O lifted her in his arms, bringing her to their bedroom. It had been so long since he carried her, he didn't realize how much lighter she had become. It pained him, to think that as he spent each night out having fun with the guys, there were times she skipped dinner, just because she hated eating alone. Yet not once had she complained, or bugged him to stay.
 
 
 
He gently placed her down on her side of the bed. He knew she was worn out when she didn't even stir. Jiyul had always been a light sleeper. He climbed under the blankets and cuddled close to the sleeping angel, tugging her closer against his chest.
 
 
 
 
 
"I'll fix this, I'll make everything ok again. I promise." he whispered before slipping into slumber.