Chapter 4

Together We Cry

 

"What the hell is going on?" Seungho questioned as soon as G.O opened the front door.
 
 
"What the hell are you doing here?" G.O returned the question.
 
 
 
"Your girlfriend is crying on the phone." he said, holding up his cellphone. The line wasn't cut yet. Jiyul had begged for Seungho not to hang up before he arrived, in case anything happened.
 
 
G.O looked away in frustration.
 
 
 
"You just chill, alright? Take a drive out. I'll call you when she's ok again." the older man instructed.
 
 
 
Without a word, G.O left. He was angry. At Jiyul, at this morning's entire incident, and even at his hyung for having to step in. There have been times they fought. About things like where to eat, which channel to watch on tv, and even about his attitude on bad days. But not once had Jiyul shed a tear. He didn't get why she'd want to break up with him over a matter as small as him forgetting their anniversary.
 
 
 
"Jiyul... It's Seungho oppa. G.O just left. Would you like to open up now?" he hoaxed. Upon hearing that, Jiyul twisted the knob of her door, slowly peeking out  through the small gap. Her teary eyes met Seungho's, and he gave her a soft smile.
 
 
 
"Should I come in, or do you wanna come outside and talk?" he asked.
 
 
Jiyul quietly opened the door wider. Seungho took a step back, allowing her to step out. He followed behind as she made her way to the couch.
 
 
 
"Would you like something to drink?" she asked in a small voice.
 
 
 
He chuckled.
 
 
 
"No thanks. So...what happened?" he implored.
 
 
 
"I told him we needed a break from each other."
 
 
 
Seungho's eyes widened, his mouth agape.
 
 
 
"Why?"
 
 
 
"I don't think he loves me anymore, oppa." she whimpered.
 
 
-
 
 
 
G.O sat in his car, waiting for a phone call from Seungho, a sign that he could return to his house without any tension in the air. But after two whole hours, he got nothing. The Suju album in his CD player was repeating itself for the third time now. It was Jiyul's favourite. And he hadn't even realized till then that she had put it in his player.
 
 
 
Finally, his cellphone started ringing, startling him out of his daze. He quickly picked up.
 
 
"G.O..." his hyung's voice sounded through the phone.
 
 
 
"How is it?" he muttered.
 
 
"She's packing her stuff."
 
 
 
HIs eyes widened. Tossing his phone onto the passenger seat, he frantically started the car and sped off back to their apartment building.
 
 
 
 
"Are you sure you're not going to regret this?" Seungho asked Jiyul as she filled her suitcase with the clothes from her wardrobe.
 
 
 
"I've had enough of trying to convince myself that it'll work out." she simply replied. Just as Jiyul exited the room with her suitcase, the front door swung open and in stormed G.O.
 
 
 
"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" he roared, grabbing the handles of her suitcase out of her hand and tossing it aside.
 
 
 
"G.O!" Seungho hissed in a reprimanding tone, stepping in between the two before he could do anything stupid that would hurt Jiyul.
 
 
 
But amongst the commotion, Jiyul was extremely calm. Even as G.O yelled in her face, causing Seungho's panic, she didn't flinch.
 
 
 
"Stop throwing tantrums, Jiyul!" G.O snarled, pushing his hyung aside.
 
 
 
"I'm not throwing a tantrum. I told you, we need a break." she replied.
 
 
 
"A break from what?! Just because I forgot our anniversary?! Stop being so childish, will you?!"
 
 
 
"You need a break from me. Maybe then you'll be able to figure out if all this fuss you're making is even worth it." Jiyul spoke, picking up her suitcase.
 
 
 
"What the hell are you talking about?!" he bellowed, his heart pounding faster with worry as reality slowly sunk in. Jiyul was serious.
 
 
 
"Seungho oppa, sorry for the trouble. Thanks for dropping by. We'll be fine." she turned to the helpless man with a reassuring smile. He nodded, glancing over at G.O, who had his head turned away. Uncertainly, he left. And as soon as the front door slammed shut, G.O lost it.
 
 
 
 
"Oppa?! Since when did the two of you get so close that you're calling him oppa?! And calling him over in times like this?!"
 
 
 
"I called who I thought would be able to keep your rage in control. Cause apparently, you can't." she stated, fists clenched as her boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend, showed her how childish he can be.
 
 
 
 
"Is it because of him, that you're leaving me? That's it, isn't it? You're just using last night as an excuse to get rid of me!" he accused.
 
 
 
"Byunghee ah..." Jiyul croaked, causing a twist in G.O's stomach. There was a moment of silence before she finally uttered the question that repeated itself in her head every night as she sat alone in the living room.
 
 
 
"Do you even love me anymore?"
 
 
 
He was pretty sure his heart sank to his toes as he heard Jiyul mummer those words. His expression softened, his heart tightening with an ache as he saw a tear fall down her cheeks. He wanted to hold her, but his body didn't let him. As he struggled to speak, not one word escaped his throat. Before he knew it, he was left standing alone in the living room of their apartment with the breakfast she had made for him still left untouched.