Chapter 14

Together We Cry

 

From the rhythm of Jiyul's breaths and the weight of her arm that rested over his waist, G.O knew that she had fallen asleep. And even though his eye lids were threatening to fall shut already, he refused to give in. He wanted to stay awake, no matter how tempting the comfort was, with Jiyul in his arms. He was afraid that if he fell asleep, he'd find that it was all a dream, and that all he had in his arms was his cold, lifeless pillow. He hated the thought of that. He had been craving for this warmth for the longest time, it was unbearable. So as he struggled to keep his consciousness, he occasionally tightened his hold on Jiyul, tugging her closer.
 
 
 
He kept his mind occupied with thoughts of Jiyul. He missed how annoying she was, chattering endlessly about silly things that no one would be interested in. He also missed how animated she was, always adding her own sound effects to her daily life and laughing at herself after. But most of all, he missed the way her eyes were always bright and filled with joy when she looked up at him with her arms around his waist, rocking side to side. It was funny how the things she did that made him fall so hard for her somehow became an unimportant part of his life. He made a promise to himself, at that very moment, that he would never turn away from her jokes again, no matter how lame they were. And that he'd shower her with hugs everyday, even if she childishly clung onto him after that and refused to let go. He'd listen to her ramble on and on about her favorite idols, even if he had no idea how they looked like and what they did. But he wasn't sure if all these were even possible anymore.
 
 
 
After the longest two hours in G.O's life, Jiyul started waking up. She pulled away slightly and all of a sudden, G.O changed his mind about those two hours. It was way too short. He panicked, quickly holding Jiyul close to him, not allowing her to leave.
 
 
"Byunghee..." she spoke in a whiney voice as she squirmed under his arms.
 
 
"Jiyul, please, don't leave!" he exclaimed helplessly, panic written all over his face, "I promise I'll treat you right. I'll talk things out with Jaeyeon, I'll take you out for dinner. I'll never forget any special days again. I'll tattoo them on my palm if I have to!"
 
 
 
Jiyul opened to speak, only to be interrupted by G.O again.
 
 
 
"I'll take back that letter. I'll tear it up, please pretend you never read it. I'll wholeheartedly make breakfast for you everyday, and not just when I make you mad. I'll apologize when I do things wrong and I'll tell you I love you everyday. I promise I promise I promise. I'm begging you Jiyul, I can't live without you. I can't. " he erupted, hugging Jiyul as if his life depended on it.
 
 
 
"You're suffocating me, Byunghee." she whimpered.
 
 
 
"I'll let you go out with anyone you want, whenever you want. I won't question you and I'll listen to you when you tell me stuff, no matter how long it takes!" he quickly assured.
 
 
 
"No, Byunghee, I mean you're suffocating me physically! Like, right now! " Jiyul snapped.
 
 
 
G.O quickly loosened his hold, but then felt a sudden wave of emptiness. So he quickly embraced Jiyul again, causing her to yelp in surprise.
 
 
"What are you doing, Byunghee?" she yelled.
 
 
 
"Jiyul! I'm begging you..." he spoke, much softer this time, "I'll do anything. Please don't leave..."
 
 
 
"Stop it, Byunghee. What kind of man begs like that?" Jiyul said, gripping onto the sides of his shirt.
 
 
 
"A man who's lived his whole life as an egoistic bastard," he answered, "and finally wakes up only when he loses the most precious person in his life."
 
 
 
Jiyul's heart ached at those words. And all the other things he said when he broke down in hysteria. It shocked her, how a man as prideful as G.O was begging so desperately for her to stay. But it moved her. For the first time ever, she was hearing G.O pour out his heart to her.
 
 
 
"Arasseo." she simply replied, letting her body sink back into the cozy bed that held the warmth of their bodies and leaning her forehead against G.O's chest. He was stunned and speechless for a moment, unsure of what that gesture meant.
 
 
"So..." he cautiously spoke.
 
 
 
"I'm hungry, Byunghee-ah." she cooed, with a small smile on her lips. And as his brain finally processed what was happening, a smile crept up his lips too. His smile grew wider and wider, and so did his admiration for the angel in his arms.
 
 
 
"I'll cook!" he eagerly declared, giving Jiyul a kiss on the forehead before he jumped out of bed and literally ran for the kitchen.
 
 
 
Jiyul smiled to herself, at the love that filled her heart once more. To G.O, it was Jiyul's forgiveness that set them free from the pain they were chained to. But Jiyul knew that it wasn't forgiveness that she had given him. In fact, she hadn't given him anything at all. It was G.O finally tearing down his mask and admitting his feelings that earned her trust again. There was, in a way, forgiveness. But more than that, there was love.