Chapter 2

Together We Cry

 

Jiyul woke up the next morning enveloped in G.O's embraced. Though he never displayed his affection while he was awake, having her in his arms as he slept was one thing he couldn't live without. That was what kept Jiyul's faith in their relationship strong the whole time. But lately, it just wasn't enough.
 
 
She carefully untangled herself from G.O, wanting him to have a little more sleep before they both left for school. But the sudden emptiness stirred him out of sleep.
 
 
"Where are you going?" he asked, sitting up.
 
 
"Where am I going? To make breakfast of course! Where would I be going?" she laughed, amused by his confused look first thing in the morning.
 
 
As if relieved to hear that, he lay back down, continuing his sleep.
 
 
Mornings were always the most precious for Jiyul. Waking up in the arms of the man she loved and watching his groggy state was the best part of their relationship. And perhaps the only part that still proved the existence of it.
 
 
After breakfast, they each got dressed for school and left the house together. Taking the bus to school together used to be the sweetest part of young love. But they were no longer high school students. Moving on to college forced the two apart in many ways.
 
 
"Byunghee ah, can you come home early tonight?" Jiyul asked with hopeful eyes.
 
 
"Class ends at six. I'll probably be back by seven." he stated.
 
 
"Ok. Be a good boy and come home immediately after school!" she grinned, patting his head playfully before they went separate ways.
 
 
It was their anniversary that day. It was no surprise to Jiyul that her absent-minded boyfriend forgot. But such things didn't bother her. Guys don't usually take note of dates anyways, she thought.
 
 
That night, as she set up the table with scrumptious meal she had prepared for the special day, she gleefully hummed along to the song in her head.
 
 
'Byunghee~ Are you on the way back? :D' she texted him, despite the fact that his replies to texts usually only came at least two hours late.
 
 
From the dining table, to the couch, to the ground, and back on the couch. Jiyul restlessly waited, her hopes falling with each passing second. It was 8.30pm, and G.O was unreachable. She would have gotten worried, if not for the countless other times it's happened.
 
 
"He promised..." she mumbled, frowning as she lifelessly lay on the couch. It wasn't the first time she was left waiting through the night. But it wasn't something she could get used to. Not when her hopes were raised so high.
 
 
Just as she was about to head to bed, the clinking sound of keys were heard. She raced to the door.
 
 
"What happened?" she asked as soon as G.O stepped in.
 
 
"I got held back. Projects." he replied nonchalantly, fumbling with his shoes.
 
 
"I thought we agreed on 7pm."
 
 
"Well, it was school work. I had no choice!" he responded, clearly showing his annoyance. But all signs of irritation disappeared as soon as his eyes landed on the dining table. The table was set and all the candles were already out. His heart sank. He glanced back at Jiyul, realizing what date it was. Still, his ego wouldn't let him express his apology.
 
 
"I'm tired. I'm going to bed." he muttered before dismissing himself.
 
 
 
That night, Jiyul went to bed with her mind made up. If she wakes up the next morning, forgiving G.O for all the times he had crushed her hopes... perhaps she'll find a way to make things right.