Chapter 10

Together We Cry

"Hold this..." G.O instructed, passing the rod to JIyul while he fixed the bait.

 



"Yummy worms..." he muttered, confident of catching some fish tonight. Jiyul gave a look of disgust while G.O just grinned.

 



"Pull it back like this...and lunge it forward."

 

 

Jiyul mimicked G.O's actions and nicely got the first step done.

 

 

"Oh! Smart girl!" G.O praised, "Now we have to wait."

 

 

Though Jiyul was trying hard not to let her heart give in to his charms, she couldn't hide her curiosity and interest at times like this. She was like a child so full of wanderlust, delighted to try everything. And that was something she couldn't hide nomatter how hard she tried to give G.O the cold shoulder. And as G.O watched her hold on tightly to the fishing line with eyes full of anticipation, he had discovered a secret to winning her heart back.

 

 

"How long does it usually take?" Jiyul asked. G.O's smile brightened. It had been so long since she asked a question so casually, as if nothing ever went wrong.

 

 

"It depends. If the fishes are feeling happy today then maybe they'll come fast." he answered, watching his girlfriend nod thoughtfully.

 

 

"After we catch enough fishes, we can barbecue them." he added, hoping to see more excitement in her eyes. And he did.

 

 

"How? They have barbecue pits here?" she questioned, wide eyed.

 

 

"No. But I brought a mini portable one. It's in the car." Jiyul nodded, directing her attention back to the rod. Both of them had their elbows leant against the railing as they looked out at the waters. The sun was already hidden behind the stratum of sea and the moon peaked through the clouds at an angle from the pool of orange. G.O had almost forgotten that look of serenity on Jiyul's face. Even in her sleep, her brows knitted slightly. Almost unnoticeable, but still present.

 



"Jiyul..." G.O spoke, breaking the comfortable silence. Jiyul turned to him.

 

 

"I'll only meet the guys every wednesday from now on." he announced, waiting for her response. Jiyul looked back to the front, as if what he just said didn't mean anything to her.

 

 

"Just meet them whenever you want." she replied. G.O's shoulders sank.

 

 

"No. I'll only meet them on Wednesdays." he repeated with determination. His smile now turned to a little pout.

 

 

Truthfully, Jiyul was moved. She was moved the first time he said it and she was even more moved when he insisted the second time. But his promises weren't always kept. That was something she often reminded herself in order to keep her hopes from being crushed every time.

 

 

"Oh!" Jiyul turned to G.O with a shocked expression, "There was a tug!"

 

 

"Really?!"

 

 

G.O took her rod in his hands, winding the line up as fast as he could.

 

 

"I think you really caught something! Here, pull it back."

 

 

He handed her the fishing rod, verbally guiding his frantic girlfriend. Jiyul stepped back, pulling the rod as she retreated.
 

 


"I can't!" she exclaimed. Quickly, G.O took over. It wasn't long before they successfully got their first fish into their pail.
 

 


"The hook went through his lip." Jiyul mumbled as she squatted by the pail, watching the fish struggle in the small space.
 



"That's how fishes are caught, Jiyul." G.O replied. Jiyul looked up at him with a guilty frown, and back down to the pail. G.O smiled inwardly, so grateful to have gotten another look of emotion from Jiyul. He knew how awful Jiyul felt whenever she saw anything in pain. That's why she was never a good cook.

 

 


"Let's stop then. One fish is big enough anyways. We can get some side dishes from a stall around that corner." he said, squatting down beside JIyul.

 

 


That night, dinner was peaceful. There was no tension, no awkwardness, no anger, no tears. And after dinner, they packed up and left. The ride home was quiet. And even though Jiyul's favourite music played in the background, all the both of them could hear was the absence of words between them.

 

 


"Jiyul ah, do you like my friends?" G.O randomly asked to get a conversation going, and also to feed his doubts.

 

 


"We're not that close anymore." she nonchalantly replied, looking out the window.

 

 


"Then... how about Seungho?" he cautiously spoke.

 

 


Jiyul's heart sank upon hearing that. She thought this day was perfect, until it hit her that he was doing all of it not because he sincerely wished to spend time with her, but because he felt threatened by a rising competitor. Once again, her hopes were crushed.

 

 


Seeing her stiffen, G.O immediately realized what his question seemed to prove. He quickly tried to explain.

 

 


"No, I didn't mean it that way, Jiyul. I just asked that because you just said you weren't close with the guys but you seem to keep in contact with Seungho hyung. No, I mean, it wasn't a jealous question. I just, it's not what you think. I was curious."

 

 


Jiyul didn't respond. No matter how G.O phrased it, it just didn't seem to work. It sounded like what Jiyul thought, and the last thing G.O wanted was to end their almost perfect day with Jiyul right at the end of her side of the bed. Or even worse, out on the couch.

 

 


"Jiyul..."

 

 

"Forget it." she muttered coldly, "Stop explaining."

 

 


G.O followed closely behind her as soon as she got out of the car. In his hands were the fishing equipment. And it wasn't like Jiyul to leave everything to him, but she did so that day. Expressionless, she headed straight towards the lobby and into the lift. She didn't slow down her pace or even look back once to acknowledge G.O's presence. And he knew he had messed up once again with his inability of expressing himself.

 

 


"Byunghee ah..." Jiyul called with her back facing G.O, causing his heart to tingle. He loved the way she so lovingly used his real name, as if it was something she cherished. But with the sweetness of that endearment, followed the dreadful words he tried so hard to shake out of his mind.

 

 


"Let's break up."

 

 


G.O's jaws clenched, his fists tightening. And despite his throat getting dry, he forced a smile.

 



"It's been a tiring day, Jiyul. Wash up and let's get to bed now." he suggested cheerily, walking pass her and into their bedroom as if those words were never spoken.