Oh Yes! Future

Misplaced

CHO KYUHYUN [F]

She was born in February 3rd. She was 20 in 2012. Cho Hankyung's younger sister. She was orphaned. Childish and overly-innocent.

 

(A/N[nekoikoi]: Oh well, drowning in the pool of blood after listening to Tarantallegra. That guy and his pheromone! Yoochun must have the replay button~ I wrote this while listening to Adele’s Live At The Royal Albert Hall! The mood clicked just like that!)

(A/N[VivianMuneca]: Hi! I was reading novel. Have a nice holiday! Ow, I wish there’s a Tarantallegra CD for my birthday present T__T. And this chapter was made by nekoi *hugs nekoi* because of some problem I couldn’t help her much, and ended up editting only. Enjoy the fic!)

***

2006

The young girl with soft wavy hair stirred from her deep slumber. The ray of sunlight went through the glass-panels window hit her sleepy eyes, making her brows furrowed distastefully. Her numb mind started working as she felt warmth from her side. From the corner of her eyes, she could see a sleeping male figure next to her. If the male was some random man, she would have screamed and mutilated the man right here and there. But it was her said evil best friend we were talking about. She cared for him. A lot.

By the way, if you guys were asking why they were sleeping on the same bed, the answer might be sounded childish and unfathomably simple. These two had stayed all night long playing the new released PC and PSP games.

Lazily, she sat up and put a deep look at the still-sleeping teenager next to her. Looking at the male’s innocent face, she smiled softly. ‘Oh, how that angelic face is so deceitful.’ She silently chirped.

“Minnie-ah! Wake up!” She poked the boy’s board shoulder. Getting no response from her childhood friend really irritated her. She wasn’t that patient in the first place, so without thinking she kicked him off the bed.

A loud bump sound echoed the silent room as the boy fell on the carpeted-floor, his was the first thing kissing the carpet painfully. Then, a deep groan could be heard.

The pale skinned female curiously peeked. The boy was a mess tangled limbs—who told him to have those super long legs, anyway?

What the— Kyunnie!” He hissed as he crawled back onto his bed. Noted that; his bed.

She giggled cryptically. Oh how much she loved to annoy the hell out of him. But, her giggles stopped as she noticed the sour expression the boy had been made. Ups, she had gone too far.

***

Getting kicked wasn’t the most pleasurable way to be woken up early in the morning. Shim Changmin knew this the best. Thanks to his weird best friend.

He tried to lift his upper body from the warm carpet. As soon as he felt the sting of pain, he groaned.

Slowly, he lifted his and crawled back to his comfortable bed, well, at least it was his property before his little baby claimed it to be hers and left him having backache from sleeping on the couch.

“What the— Kyunnie!” He hissed. Feeling his mood dropped a few pegs, the girl giggled mischievously before attacking him with her killer puppy eyes. “Sorry, Minnie!”

The boy just stared blankly at the girl as she patted his messed up brown locks. How could he be mad at her?

“It’s ok.” He said as he sighed.

At this statement the girl’s cherry red lips twisted into a smile. “AAAH! You are the best ever, Shim Changmin!” With that, she gave the boy a bone-crushing hug. Changmin’s heart missed a beat at her compliment. He returned his childhood’s friend hug as he could smell his scent on her dark brown tresses—‘kay, he started to sound like old erted man here. The girl strengthened her hug before she jumped out of the bed and skipped happily to the bathroom. The boy thanked his strong build body, he could had died because of the hyper girl’s antics long ago.

Before he could snuggle back onto his fluffy pillow, the girl had screamed from the bathroom. “Don’t go back to sleep! Today is the first day of school, Min-pabo!”

He jumped of shock thanks to the girl’s loud voice. Then he chuckled and decided to stretch his knotted muscle. Bringing his lazy to sit, he observed his messed up room. PSPs, laptops, Macs, headphones and joysticks scattered messily on his bed. Thanks God, none of them fell while they were sleeping. He also spotted empty bottles of mineral water, boxes of wafers, bags of chips and cans of coke. Oh WOW, his room had transformed into a battlefield. Just in one night. They were having fun way too much last night. But, who could resist the recently released games? Obviously not the two game-addicts.

Sighing half heartedly, the tall boy picked up the mess they had created at night and strolled to the kitchen. His mismatched eyes caught the date on the calendar, March 5th. Then it shifted onto one of old framed photographs on his drawer. A sad smile twisted his lips as his jaw hardened.

Eight figures smiling cheerily in that picture. Making those buried memories floated on the surfaceof his head. He caressed the picture lightly. ‘It has been years since that time.’

***

Flashback, 1995

“Han-oppa? What are you all doing here?” She titled her head as her huge eyes blinked cutely. No offense, she did it with no purpose.

The boy who had Kyuhyun in his arms chuckled. “I should be the one asking that Kyunnie. So, tell Oppa why you’re here.”

Kyuhyun stared to the dumbfounded Changmin and Jae. The boy followed her stare, seeing the stupid face the Shim siblings made, he chuckled lightly. “Mr.Kang didn’t pick me, so Jae-unnie gave me a ride and let me borrow her phone.”

The boy smiled at his younger sister cute antics. He stood up and scurried his baby sister in his arms as he walked towards the two young Shims. “Cho Hankyung imnida. Thank you for taking care of my sister.”

Jae regained her composure first. “No problem Hankyung-ah. I’m Jaejoong, Shim Jaejoong, and this little boy is my brother, Shim Changmin.” Jae smiled her ‘kill-those-males’ smile. “It seems you have known my parents already.”

“Yah, put Kyunnie down!” Changmin tugged Kyuhyun’s petite hand which Kyuhyun replied with confused face.

“Min!” Jaejoong startled at her brother’s behavior.

The little Changmin was upset. He didn’t know why these strangers were at his home—and most of all, he didn’t like the way this Hankyung-hyung carried his Kyu. Wait—what? His Kyu? Since when she was yours, Shim Changmin?

At Changmin’s statement brought the four adults exploded into laughing mess.

“It seems your son likes my daughter already, Shim!” Mr Cho laughed his lungs off together with Mr Shim. While Mrs Cho and Mrs Shim started to fangirling over their son and daughter’s cute interaction.

Hankyung chuckled at the little boy pouty expression. He put his baby sister on her two tiny feet. As Kyuhyun was standing steadily on her feet, Changmin toppled over her making the two youngest fell on the carpeted wooden-floor.

***

Their platonic friendship grew over the years. While Jaejoong and Hankyung grew attached to each other, Changmin and Kyuhyun grew to be inseparable. The four of them always be understanding to each other need and the two older lad and lass took better care for the two crazy babies.

Along the way, Jaejoong met Donghae and soon he became a part of the group. A teaser and victim for Changmin’s evil remarks and sarcasm. An overly optimistic lad to cheer the group up, it was simply because Changmin couldn’t and wouldn’t tease Hankyung because of his respect to the older man, beside the older man’s strict personality was a huge x-factor to the snarky boy for not pranking him. Later on, a bubbly boy named Minho sticked himself to Changmin and Kyuhyun. Not that the two mind about it. He was the cute magnae of the group which Kyuhyun spoiled a lot.

They were living a fairy tale. Their life wasn’t a happily ever after story, it crushed into crumbles not long after that. It was all started when the older Chos caught in airplane crash, leaving Hankyung and Kyuhyun orphaned.Their parents were on the way taking care a few business problems overseas. The accident left the winter damage to both family, especially for Cho’s children.

Because of the deep friendship grown between the Cho and the Shim, Kyuhyun and Hankyung were taken under the care of Shim family. Actually, they were supposed to be adopted by Mr and Mrs Shim, but they refused. They wanted to live their life independently. Mr Shim agreed, but he put on a condition, he was allowed to help the Cho’s children until they were ready.

***

1999

That day, rain was pouring heavily, completely dark and heavy. The atmosphere was tensed with pure grief. The funeral ceremony of two people had just ended, giving everyone who attended the feeling of chill and pity. Two newly made graves were screaming silent tears.

Two young —very young—siblings standing right at the foot of the graves. Both drenched in rain from head to toe. The older one was a male, a fine young boy. His face was all emotionless. A face a child shouldn't have at his own parents’ funeral day.

The second one was a pretty little girl, her trembling hand was held firmly by her brother's hand. She cried a silent tear that was concealed by the rain. Her face almost as emotionless as her brother. No word was spoken. The two accepted the condolences people gave them in professional gesture. Without smile, without sob. Just a silent nods and ‘thank you’s.

"Poor Kids, too young and yet they already lost their parents."

"Too young."

“Poor things.”

"They won't survive."

The girl flinched, her hand was trembling in her brother’s tight grip. Her brother looked at her in sadness. He pulled her closer so she could hide her face from disreputable comments. So, she didn’t have to hear the certainly painful comments.

Two wide umbrellas came protecting the two from the rain brought by Mr and Mrs Shim, as a sharp voice engulfed the bad comments, "You should better stop saying underestimating and dishonour comments behind their back, Misters. Or maybe it would be much better if you excuse yourself." A boy with witty grin ran to the two while spitting harsh comments to older people who actually were too much babling each other.

The elders then left the place, they knew very well who the boy was and didn't want to create a mess with the boy. The running boy threw himself to the girl and hugged her like there's no tomorrow. On his wheel, a beautiful young girl whose eyes puffed red smiled reassuringly at the older boy in black suit. The girl had a lot of resemblances with the witty boy.

"Changmin! Watch your words, Dear!" The one who seemed like the Changmin's mom warned him.

The girl who looked like Changmin positioned herself between the three children and her parent. Her maids took the grip of the umbrellas for her, her family and her beloved friends. How could they saying foul things like that in front of her friends? She couldn’t just stand, could she?

 "No, Changmin is right, Umma. Hankyung-oppa and Kyunnie are grieving. They shouldn't have said that." She retorted to her mother in a very soft voice but her eyes were intensely daggering the people who were whispering to each other until they felt a sting cold ran in their spine and stand quietly caused by the girl’s devious glare.

It seemed Mrs Shim agreed with her daughter as she just nodded and took a huge bucket of lilies from her husband and approached the tombs. She put the pure white florals on both new tombs with a deep sad face, they were her best friends after so long and forever.

"You okay, Hankyung-oppa?" The girl followed Changmin's gesture, she gave Hankyung a comforting hug.

Hankyung just nodded visibly. "I'm fine Jae-ah."

"Nah, you okay Kyunnie?" Changmin patted Kyuhyun's dark brown locks. She smiled at him, a painful heartbreaking smile. "I'm okay, Minnie."

With that the boy hugged the smaller girl more. He didn’t even know why he did that, he just knew he had to.

Soon, when all the guests left, Kyuhyun was breaking in the two boys' arms and Jae's shoulder. And Hankyung just let his silent tears rolling down his face. He just couldn’t bear the sadness anymore.

***

The clicked sound of closed door alarmed Mr Shim of the visitor in his office. He found a figure of a boy standing in front of his desk.

“You called me, Ahjussi?” The young boy asked with his emotionless voice.

Mr Shim shivered from shock from hearing the dead voice from his best friend’s son. How could the world make a boy suffered like this? “Yes, Hankyung-ah. Come here.”

Seeing Mr Shim’s gesture, Hankyung walked to his side. Concern and love could be seen in the older man’s eyes. He patted Hankyung’s head and he smiled gently as the young boy jerked to his affection. “I don’t know if it’s the right time. But, will you consider an adoption, Hankyung-ah?”

At this statement, Cho Hankyung’s eyes widened twice. “N-no. Kyu and I— P-please don’t separ—”

Knowing what the younger man was thinking about, Mr Shim chuckled lightly. “No, I was thinking about adopting the two of you. Your parents were my best friends, and it will never change.”

“But—“

“I’m not doing this out of pity, Hankyung-ah. The two of you are brilliant children and my children, especially that tiny food monster, would never want to be separated from your sister.” Mr Shim interjected.

Hankyung fell into silent. He didn’t know if he had to make a choice right now. Everything jumbled in his complicated brain.

“So, what’s your answer?” Mr Shim asked Hankyung softly.

The boy’s feature was hardened. His thick eyebrows furrowed. After a few seconds of silent, the boy sighed. Then a smile graced his handsome face. A smile that made him looked ten years older than his age. “No, Ahjussi. Kyuhyun and I will do fine on ourselves. I’m really sorry, I can’t accept your offer.”

Mr Shim had expected this answer from the stubborn male. He took after his father a lot. “It’s okay then. But let me help you manage your family company and raise the two of you until you are ready to run it on your own, Hankyung-ah.”

Hankyung nodded his head slowly. “Yes, I appreciate it a lot, uncle. Now, may I dismiss myself?”

Receiving a nod, the boy left the room, leaving the old man trapped in his own mind.

Mr Shim rubbed his temple with smile smeared on his handsome face. “Your son has grown into an independent man, Jong Hun. And tough one too.”

***

2006

Changmin swung the bathroom door open with droplets of water still dribbling down his fair and smooth skin—a piece of art that most women would drool over—from his damp hair.

He took his school’s uniform and wore it. He strolled his way to the kitchen as he heard the sound of boiled water in pot.

“Ramen?” He asked the only possible person in the kitchen.

The feminine voice replied back. “Yes, and Miso soup too.”

His eyes pooped as he reached the kitchen. His high-pitched voice raised two octaves as he screamed his mind off. “WHY ARE YOU WEARING SOMETHING LIKE THAT?!”

“Why? Is there anything wrong?” Kyuhyun replied. She wore oversized school uniform which hid her curves tidily. Her caramel tresses was braided. The tartan skirt reached her upper legs and the black socks went under her skirt. Her beautiful brown orbs were covered with thick framed specs. ‘You have got to be kidding me!’ Changmin groaned in his mind.

“Why are you dressed like a total derpty nerd, Kyunnie? You look like hag.” Patiently, he rubbed his throbbing temple and hoping if he opened his eyes, the usual Kyuhyun would appear.

She shrugged her shoulder. “I want to be more focus with my study.”

“It’s not a reason, Kyunnie.”

“It’s an art.”

“Not legit enough.”

“You are not there.”

“That’s—” The statement made Changmin caught off guard. “What?

Kyuhyun pale cheeks reddened. “You are not there. There is no point to be looked presentable.”

“That’s….. quiet reasonable.” Changmin added nonchalantly. “Jae-noona’s weirdness is rubbing on you.”

“She is still your sister.” Kyuhyun put a huge bowl of Ramen on the Ashford black marble dining table.

Changmin seated himself on the chair while looking to his best friend’s new appearance. The disguises worked pretty well on her. If he hadn’t been Shim Changmin, her childhood and best friend, he would not have noticed it was her in the first place. It’d be interesting to see Minho’s reaction.

“When will that dummy pick you up?”

“Dunno. Just pray he won’t be late.”  Kyuhyun answered as she joined Changmin munching their ramen.

Their breakfast went in comfortable silent, only disturbed with Changmin’s whine for more wasabi or soyu. Because Kyuhyun was the one preparing the breakfast, Changmin ended up be the one washing the dishes.

TING

Kyuhyun skipped happily as she heard the doorbell rang. “Minho-ah!” She squealed at the cute dongsaeng.

“Noona!”

She hugged her not-so-little dongsaeng with her bear hug. “You have grown taller! Why does suddenly everyone is much more taller than me? First you, then Han-oppa, and Minnie too!” She pouted as she observed the auburn haired male.

“You are over-reacting, Kyu-noona.”

“I’m not over-reacting when it’s a fact. When I’m hanging out with you guys, it feels like I’m a dwarf.” She pouted her rosy red lips.

“And you look weird, Noona.” The Choi frowned realizing his noona’s weird appearance.

“Glasses and braids are pieces of art, Minho-ah.”

“Ah, hey Minho!” Changmin cut his brother-like mate. He had his tie on his lips, one hand carrying his backpack and he still struggling with his shoes.

Seeing her childhood acting childishly beyond his age, the youngest Cho sighed. “Slow down, Minnie! Put your bag down first and wear your shoes immediately!” She ordered.

Changmin complied, but he finally succeeded on wearing his shoes. When he was about to tied his tie, he felt a pair of soft hand tugging the long cloth. “Let me.”

Changmin found the tall female tying his tie. She was too close, he could smell the fresh citrus and magnolia from her hair. Her warm breath on his neck, and her cute serious expression was priceless.

“You guys look like newlyweds.” Minho sarcastically commented. Eventhough Minho was dummy (as Changmin always said) he was clever enough to notice the atmosphere between his friends.

At Minho’s remark, Changmin’s body stiffened. While Kyuhyun ignorantly concentrated on tying Changmin’s neck tie.

“Done!” She exclaimed as she admired her artwork.

Changmin smiled gently, “Thanks.”

With her slender fingers, the girl made a ‘V’ sign. “No problemo, Sir!”

“Hyung, why don’t you attend the same school with us?” Minho asked his hyung a question that had been running in his head for weeks.

Kyuhyun eyed the tall boy too. She was curious to the reason why Changmin wasn’t attending the same school as Minho and her. All this time, the three of them was inseparable. But, why now?

“I can’t tell you right now. Sorry.” The witty boy patted both Minho and Kyuhyun’s head. “Now the two of you, have to go. Your school is farther than mine. And it’s freaking 7.”

“NO! We are going to be late! Minho-ah, hurry the hell up!” Kyuhyun cried and dragged Minho with her.

Minho still didn’t unlock his gaze with Changmin as he saw a glimpse of anxiety in those mismatched eyes.

When the two were gone from the corridor. Changmin gritted his teeth and whispered a sentence before he left his apartment.

 

“Sorry, Kyunnie baby.”

 

TBC

(A/N [Vivian and Nekoi]:Aww, can you guys catch what’s goin on? Tell us!)