15

Sunflower

 

Jongin was quiet throughout dinner, so quiet that I didn’t dare to lift my eyes to steal a look at him. He was even careful not to make any sound while eating. Only once or twice when Dad was telling a funny story from work that he looked up from his bowl and smiled.

 

Perhaps Mum sensed something going on because when he was helping her with the dishes while I clean the table, she asked him, “Did you have a fight with Suji?”

 

I paused and side eyed him. But instead of shrugging it off like I half expected him to, he chuckled. “Don’t siblings do that at times?” he returned with a smile.

 

“Of course they do,” Mum replied. “But you two never did that I was starting to be a little a worried inside.”

 

Jongin laughed again. “What are you saying, Mum?”

 

-

 

“Really? We never fought?” I asked later when Jongin had gone up to his room.

 

Mum shook her head. “At least not that I know of.”

 

“Not even once?”

 

Again, she shook her head. I was sitting on the kitchen counter, swinging my legs back and forth while my mother was drying the pots before storing them in the cabinet. Upon seeing my rather confused expression, she smiled at me. In that split second it reminded me of Jongin’s smile. “Your brother always gives in and lets you win, even when you’re the one at fault.”

 

“Really?” I exhaled.

 

“It’s just my opinion, actually,” she began, wiping her hands dry. “But I think that’s his way of showing his gratitude.” She then walked over, kissed my forehead and patted my shoulder gently. “It’s getting late. You’ve got school tomorrow,” she said, before leaving me there lost in my thoughts.

 

-

 

It was some time past midnight when I heard a soft knock on my door. Since I was unable to fall asleep, I was reading manhwa with my bedside lamp.  While rushing to the door, I expected to see my mother and have her scolding me for not sleeping. Instead, to my surprise, I found Jongin standing there.

 

“I saw faint glow of the lamp from under the door so I figured you’re still up,” he murmured in a hushed tone. “And I thought I’d show you something. Wanna see?”

 

I raised my eyebrows questioningly. “See what?”

 

A smile crept up his face. “Come,” he said.

 

Trying to not make a sound that would wake our parents, I closed the door behind me as gently as possible and followed him downstairs. He brought me to the living room, and slid the doors open, letting the night breeze to enter the house, catching my hair on its way in.

 

“Look,” he whispered. I glanced around, searching for anything interesting but found nothing. I was about to ask when he pointed at the sky and added, “Up there.”

 

Then I saw it. Brilliant colours of fireworks were illuminating the night sky, bringing joy in the midst of the darkness. With the bright stars burning in the background, the scenery looked a lot more beautiful.

 

“I found this last year while I was on my way to the kitchen for some water,” Jongin explained. “Isn’t today―yesterday―the last day of summer? They do this every year to welcome the new season, I heard.” He paused and sat down on the veranda with his legs stretched out in front of him, before continuing. “I wanted to wake you up to let you see it, but when I entered your room I heard you snoring so loud that I didn’t have the heart to do so.”

 

“I don’t snore!” I snapped.

 

“Fine. I’ll record it the next time I hear you,” he joked.

 

I punched his arm, and he pushed me sideways in return. We burst out giggling then, and when we reverted our attentions back to the fireworks, we fell into a silence that was accompanied by the sounds of night insects in the yard. I breathed in deeply and dared myself to look at him. “Oppa?”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

He was silent at first, but then he shook his head lightly and smiled. “It’s alright.”

 

“I really am.”

 

“I know.”

 

I don’t remember how long we sat there, or when did I fall asleep, but when I woke up the next day, I was in my bed and there a was a sticky note next to my pillow that said: Stop falling asleep so easily. It’s tiring.