Scars

She's Just Too Gentle

The following day I walked into class dreading to meet my fate that sat at the back of the class. They were huddled together whispering amongst themselves until Chanyeol saw that I had walked in.

“There he is! Where have you been?” He stood up and held out an arm as he slung it around my shoulders and guided me to the rest of the group.

“I woke up late.” I said indifferently as I took a seat closest to the window.

“Busy last night huh?” Kai playfully nudged me in the side as the rest of the guys joined in on the teasing.

"Min isn't here either.To hurt to get out of bed perhaps?" Chanyeol teased while he high fived Kai.

I immediately faced forward as the teacher came in and did my best to ignore my friend. Maybe ex friends.

The words that left the teachers lips were on mute as I stared at the empty desk in front of me.

Where is she?

Why isn’t she here?

She’s not one to skip…

I had a gut feeling that something was wrong. Min never skipped school. She was always here on time. I sighed to myself as I stared out the window hoping she'd run through the gates.

I decided to be diligent in my work for the day, as I planned to give that girl a visit and give her some of the work she missed. It was hard though, as my mind wandered off as to how I was going to woo her.

‘Just be yourself.’

‘No, yourself is derpy and awkward…Be suave…Like Kai.’

‘No, she’ll like you for you.’

‘That is if you can have a decent conversation with her without hinting at something else…’

That internal battle with myself went on until the final bell rang and it was time to go. I left in a hurry and headed for Min's house.

As I neared the gate, it flew open with Min running out of it. She ran in my direction. I blocked her path causing her to collide with my chest.

“Whoa, where are you going in such a hurry?” She looked up at me with an alarmed look on her face. Her eyes b with tears, as she quickly hid her face.

“I have to go.” She peeked behind her before trying to make a break for it. I firmly grabbed her shoulders, “Why are in such a hurry? Did something happen?”

Her eyes fearfully planted on her gate as she tried to free herself, “Don’t touch me! Just let go and leave me alone!”

I let my hands fall to my sides as she stared at me with pleading eyes. She ran without looking back and rounded the corner.

I looked back at her house as the gate opened again and a man stepped out. He looked left and right as if searching for someone when he met eyes with me, “Did you see a girl come by here?”

I didn’t have to think when I answered, “No, I haven’t.”

His face twisted a bit as he grumbled something under his breath before shutting the gate with a loud slam. I winced at the screeching noise it made and went home.

All the while, my mind was racing with questions.

Why was she running?

She was crying right?

Was she running from that man? Her dad?

 

The next day Min was back in school. She sat hunched over her desk while scribbling something on a piece of paper. I passed her desk. I looked down at her. She paused writing for a moment before hiding the piece of paper under her book. I walked to my seat and slumped down as Kai turned to talk to me.

“She finally decided to show up today. And I see you left her mark on her.” He playfully pointed to Min.

“What are you talking about?” I sat up straight with an annoyed tone of voice and then looked at the girl.

Her hair was up in a bun and at the side of her neck a small purple bruise stained her skin.

That wasn’t there before.

Something else that was new was her outfit. She wore a long sleeve sweater over her uniform and stockings. Who wears a sweater and stockings when it’s almost 90 degrees outside?

I sat there in my seat and analyzed her from head to toe. Her whole body was covered except for her neck and face. She had to be sweating. She had to be hiding something.

Min constantly pulled at her sweater while checking on her arms. She lightly tapped a finger on it and winced as she hit her wrist.

The bell rang for lunch, everyone else rushed to get out. Minlaid her head down on the desk and stared out the widow with a sigh. I'm guessing she didn't know I was still in the room.

I quietly pulled out a seat and placed it in front of her desk leaning my arms on the back rest and watched her, “Not hungry?”

Her head shot up as she eyes met mine. They were swollen, from crying. My eyes wandered down to her exposed skin seeing that there were more small bruises across her collarbone. She tried her best to cover it up with makeup but they still were prominent against her fair skin.

She noticed me staring at them and quickly covered them up with her hand. As she did so the sleeve of her sweater fell exposing an arm full of cuts and bruises.

I snatched her hand and gently pulled her arm out pushing back the sleeves. She didn’t fight me as both of our eyes were planted on her exposed skin. I gasped at the sight as she began to tear up again.

"Min, who did this to you?" I whispered as she pulled down her sleeve. Her tears came with silence.

She opened and no sound came out as she mouthed the two words to me.

My Dad.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Hi

Nothing to say except enjoy, comment, and subscribe!!

Who should star in my next short story?

Please vote ^^