❖ Carnations

❀。The Bouquet Boy

 

 

"She's so perfect, Luhan."


They were sitting by the field, underneath a tree that smelled like Spring time. Nana was leaning back against the trunk, basking in the sunlight that was warming her skin. Luhan, who was lying on the grass and staring at his best friend's face, felt a surge of deja vu. It was only yesterday that she was gushing to him about the perfection of Choi Minho, but now Lee Taeyeon as well?

He felt angry in ways he didn't understand. What were the qualifications of being 'perfect' to Nana? Why didn't she happily talk about him? Half of every girl in the school knew him. A few fancied him, even. But they were shallow girls who spent hours putting their make-up on and trying on new skirts that were the length of underwear. Luhan wasn't interested in those girls. He always listened to the one girl he was interested in talking about how terrific other people were. 

"Really? Last I heard, she spoke to absolutely no one," he said in a quiet voice. 

"I know. She's so cool," Nana sighed, looking up at the sky.

"She's not even that pretty!" This was a lie. Luhan had seen the new girl as well, and although his heart didn't beat rapidly or stop completely like the other guys, he had to admit that she was something. "Choi Minho isn't even that pretty."

Nana stopped her daydreaming and stared at her best friend. "Why are you so grumpy, Dimples?"

Hearing her call Luhan by his old nickname made his heart ache. So maybe he was being a little moody. But who could blame him? He sighed. "Sorry, Red, I just—"

"Were you jealous?" Nana asked simply.

Luhan was taken back by her bold question, and sat up straight away. "Um, no, I..." Luckily, the bell rang. He took it as a good sign, and picked his back pack off the soft grass. "Bye," he said quickly, wanting to get as far away from Nana as possible. Maybe then she wouldn't see the raging blush taking over his cheeks (that was almost as red as Nana's hair!). 

Just before he could escape, Nana stood up and put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, Oppa?"

Luhan stopped in his tracks. She hadn't called him Oppa for a while. They usually dropped honorifics since  it was too formal and boring. "Yeah?" he said, with uncertainty seeping into his voice.

Nana picked up her pale pink bag, and smiled. "You're perfect, too."

And just like that, Nana left him standing by that tree, staring at her walk away. Wow. Luhan put his palm against the left side of his chest. Sure enough, there was his heartbeat, beating five times faster than usual. Was it normal for three little words to make him this crazy?

。。。

Taemin liked flowers. He liked the way they made everything smell fresh and clean with their unique aroma. He liked the different colours, too. So far, the only thing he favoured about Yang Byul High School was their garden. As he had already spoken to the school gardener, on his first day at school, Taemin was the official student garden aprentice. He liked that name.

He sauntered past the few pots that greeted him outside the green house. Various, every day plants stuck out: Primroses, bluebells and phlox. He could name them all.

With his two slender hands, Taemin pushed the glass doors of the green house open. Once he was inside, he gasped. It was beautiful. Better than he had imagined, actually. Flowers of all kinds trailed along the walking path in the centre. It was a garden wonderland of a variety of colours. Already, he felt at home.

Taking a deep breath, Taemin was prepared to bask in the company of the flowers for the entire afternoon, when he heard two voices talking outside. Curiousity took over his peace, and Taemin found himself pressed against the glass windows, tilting it a bit open so he could hear their voices. He was shocked when he realised who it was...Nana, the small red head from his class, standing with (not surprisingly) another guy.

"Oppa?" she said, in a sweet voice. The boy in front of her turned around anxiously, replying meekly with, "Yeah?"

Nana picked up her bag off the ground, and if Taemin had seen correctly, watching as the taller boy admired her figure, and gave him a beautiful eyesmile. In fact, even Taemin's own heart fluttered at the sight. She looked so innocent, so perfectly adorable and fragile. Poor guy, Taemin thought. She's such a bad girl.

"You're perfect too," she said, before walking away. Wow, she must be good! That wasn't even a good line, Taemin thought, frowning. He watched pitifully, if not a little bemused, as the boy felt his heart beating. His face broke into a grin that reached his ears, as he skipped away in the opposite direction.

"What did I just witness?" Taemin mumbled to himself. "I hope she doesn't try anything on me...even if I am in a skirt," he chuckled.

"Taeyeon?"

Taemin turned, and immediately wished he hadn't. It was her, again. The creepy little girl who broke too many guys hearts to count. Or at least, that's what he thought. And just as he guessed, she was approaching him!

"Um, yes, Nana?" he said in a higher octave, trying to act casual. Maybe then she wouldn't be able to hear his heart pounding against his rib cage, as if he was about to be kidnapped.

She walked inside the green house, picking up a flower. "What's this called?" she said, blankly. Taemin snapped out of his strange fantasy momentarily, only to view the flower. It had crisp petals, and was a deep shade of red. For most uneducated people, the first word that would register in their head would be 'rose'. But Taemin knew better. "It's a carnation," he said, staring at the flower fondly. "It's red, so the meaning behind it is basically love."

"Oh."

A silence passed between the two. "Why do you ask?"

"Have you ever given a flower to a guy?"

Taemin shook his head in bewilderment, momentarily forgetting that he was a girl. "No..."

"Have you ever had a boyfriend?"

Taemin though about his reply a minute too long. Nana was gazing at him intently, and he felt his insides flip. "Um..." Would it be weird for a seventeen-year-old girl to not have a boyfriend? "Yeah."

"Of course you did," she said with a sigh. "You're pretty."

For a minute, Taemin stared at the girl, fully taking in her looks. She wasn't ugly. She wasn't anywhere close. Maybe a bit on the short side, awfully scrawy, and her hair was weird...but other than that, nothing was that hideous. In fact, he liked her eyes. They were large and extremely black. Nana even had long eyelashes.

"Can you help me become like you?" she said, in a small voice. "I really, really, really like this guy. I don't think he likes sporty girls," she said, gesturing towards the mud stained on her skirt. 

Taemin was about to nod, it seemed like a natural reflex to a girl like this. What are you doing, Taemin? Falling for her tricks already? He mentally kicked himself. "No," he said aburptly. Taemin pushed past her, and practically flew out of the door. Running a few metres away, he released a little sigh. It'd be much better to stay away from Nana. 

 


1471706pu7bnh3itj.gif

bleh.