The Perfect Gift for a Few Girls in Mind

Life with a Thorn Named Rian

 

There is one thing Jin Yoo Jin finds annoying more than having to put up with people’s nonsense, which is finding the perfect gift for special occasions. Normally, he had Rian to work her poor brain cells to come up with the gift they should get and he paid for it. It’s hard when he had to rack his brain instead.

The bell attached to the door frame rang as the door screeched opened and produced a tall man in oversized sunglasses, a dark-blue t-shirt and a brown leather jacket. He took a quick stride towards a table near the counter, eyes darting around the shop to scan out the coast. Satisfied with the lack of suspicious eyes, he took a seat at of the tables, facing the counter.

He spotted his mother, ushering her customers, a couple, towards the door after they finished their meals. They exchanged respective greeting and parted where his mother went for the counter, her voice echoed in the now-empty shop, “You can take off those sunglasses and cap. The last customers just left.” He did as he was told, removing both the big sunglasses and cap, placing them on the table. “Have you had your dinner?” she asked as she disappeared under the counter.

He shook his head and replied, “Not yet.” The voice continued to echo, “Good. Let me cook something, it won’t take long I promised.” Yoo Jin just muttered, “Okay.” He took out his Smartphone from his jacket, began to play Angry Birds while he waited for his mother to wrap out her cooking. It was not long before the food was laid out on the table, he helped to carry them from the kitchen and both mother and son were seated, across each other.

“Have you been eating? You looked like you lost a couple of pounds,” complained the older woman, putting more food on to his plate. He smiled, “Yes. It’s because I go to the gym. All of these are muscles, mom.” He continued to chow down the food like a hungry animal.

“You should introduce her to me sometimes,” his mother quipped, with a small smirk on her face. “Who?” his eyes did not move away from his bowl as he asked. He nearly choked when she answered, “The new woman in your life. Now, don’t tell me I’m the only one because I don’t wear that kind of perfume, only young woman do.”

“Mom! Stop the crazy talk! I don’t have anyone in my life now. I’m too busy to date!” the rock star argued, but his face reddened. She chortled. “Ah, say what you want but shouldn’t you start finding a wife right now? How old are you, 24? That’s the right age to get married.”

“Mom, please. These days, 30 is the new 24. How can I get married without a bride?” he questioned, stuffing more food into his mouth. She sipped water from a glass and continued, “Don’t be so ridiculous, Yoo Jin. You are a good looking man and famous. I’ve seen the girls on TV screaming your name during your concert and I paid attention to all the female celebrities who cited you as their ideal type. There are about,” she paused, counting with her fingers and held out them to her son, “5.”

He snorted, “Mom-

“Life is short, son. One day, I might be here. The next, I might not. Just the other day, Ji Min kept showing the pictures of her new grandchild. It’s a beautiful baby girl.”

“Who’s Ji Min?” Yoo Jin felt like rolling his eyes. “The lady who sometimes helps around here as a cashier. Her son, In Gook, is just a year older than you are, managed to find a nice girl to be his wife, a Seoul woman. I think her name was Eun Seo, or something similar.”

“I see but I failed to see why I must be concern-

“I am just saying that I wish to see you get a woman to call your own before I kick the bucket. If you’re not planning to marry her soon, at least I will be able to imagine how your children might look like.”

Yoo Jin rolled his eyes at the absurdity of his mother’s ramblings. “You don’t need to find a pretty lady. Just a nice and considerate woman will do.”

Pretty? Without all that makeup covering her face, maybe she can be considered pretty. Nice? She does have the nice moments, but those are rare. Considerate? Have she ever consider his feelings whether she taunts and , no. Rian’s not the type of woman he would like to bring and meet the family. If he did, it might be the start of the greatest war with the in-laws.

“How about that nice girl who brought you to the store long time ago? How is she doing?” his mother’s voice snapped him from his daydreaming. “W-what?”

“The nice girl who paid for your meal during your first visit to the store.” He tried to recall the identity but failed to remember until his mother chided, “The one in a fur coat.” The rock star began to spurt out water which he had been drinking previously. “I-I lost contact with her after leaving school,” he lied. Surprised with his sudden reaction to lie to his mother.

“I see. Anyhow, is there anything you want?” she glanced at her son briefly before paying attention to her food.

“W-what?” he asked, nonchalantly. She continued to ignore the rapid blinking done by her son. “Whenever you decided to drop by the store, there’s always something you want. So, what it is?”

“Err,” he gave out an awkward smile.”What do you get a girl for her first anniversary gift?” he inquired, leaning closer to his mother. “Is the girl a special girl? The one whom I’ve been waiting for,” the smirk on her aged face grew wider.

“Mom! Just answer the question,” he snapped, before mumbling his apologies for his irrespective behaviour.

“You don’t answer mine, how can I answer you?”

“Fine. She’s sort of special, I guess. There, happy? So what do I get her?” he pestered his mother to answer.

She reached to unhinge the lock on her necklace that adorned her neck and removed the necklace, placing them on the table and pushed it to her son. “Take this and present to her. It is not much but it has sentimental value and girls as you modern kids say, dig into these kind of stuff.”

“Are you sure? I think she’s a person to love the bling-bling much more,” he said, eyeing the necklace sceptically.

“Believe me. Girls prefer if you get them things that hold a sentimental value to you. That necklace was a gift from your father to me when we had our first wedding anniversary. I was going to give it to a daughter as an heirloom since I plan to give you my wedding ring. Seeing how we only had you, I figured why don’t give that to the girl who captured your heart and just maybe when you have kids, daughters presumably you can give to one of them.”

Yoo Jin took the necklace and placed it nicely into his jacket pocket and resumed eating, “For the record, I’m just keeping this for the right woman. I’m buying another handheld mirror for her. This time, a bedazzled one,” he said, with a smile.

Turns out, mom’s advice and prediction did come true. Every time he sees her with the necklace, he only wondered could he have been related to Sondong? Nah, rubbish. Everyone knows Sondong’s powers aren’t really real. Or is it?