Naming Rights

Life with a Thorn Named Rian

 

 

Naming a child can be hard. It was a brutal process that required the consent of both parents-to-be. A child’s name is a masterpiece for those who never achieved much in life, except having a kid (just kidding). Bad names equals to bad childhood. A child’s name has impacts on his or her future. That why Yoo Jin dislike naming kids more than babysitting one.

In the rock star’s mind was that the weather during his honeymoon would be always shiny and bright, allowing him and his new bride to spend their precious vacation days doing something productive, such as going fishing on a luxurious yacht or even a walk in the beach.

He had predicted before they left the church in that blasted rental car that every day Rian would drag him into doing all the things that romantic couples go for these days (thanks to the influence by her addiction to drama). Of course, he cannot wait to do all those things and he was very excited to be doing real romantic things (finally) with someone he loved dearly.

Okay, so he had fibbed a little. When they first stepped into the cabin, he wished that for just one day, there would be a hail storm, or a blizzard (or anything- even a hail of frogs) hit the area so that he could spend the rest of the day inside the cabin, exploring and maybe, sleeping.

Unfortunately that was not the case. For the last three days, Rian had dragged him out from the bed to visit a strawberry farm near the country side, threatened him into having a picnic at the beach to catch the sunset and bribed him into having a wine-tasting event (which meant he tasted the wine and relayed it back to her on the taste)

His heart jumped for joy when he heard the thunder hammered the area and sounds of heavy downpour. He immediately jolted up into a sitting position, pumped his fist into the air and yelled, “Yes! My dream came true!”

This had attracted Rian’s attention, who emerged out from the bathroom, already dressed in her finest outdoor outfit. “Why are you so happy?” she snarled at her husband and crossed her arms, huffing. “We already planned to go fishing, remember? Now, our plans are ruined. Damn rain and thunder!” she bellowed at her husband.

Yoo Jin’s excitement melted away when Rian glared at him. “What? Now you think this is my fault?” he shot back, appalled by his wife’s accusatory glance. She snapped, “Well, you wished for this! Didn’t you?”

After letting out a rumble of frustration, she shrieked at him, giving him the evil eye as she returned to the bathroom, “I’m going to change back into my pyjamas. Just sleep!” She stomped loudly into the bathroom and slammed the door closed.

“Yah, you don’t need to slam the door! This is not our house, you know!” Yoo Jin hollered, afraid that any damages would be billed to him. A response came from the bathroom, somewhere along the lines of “What do I care? I’ll slam the door if I wish, too and there’s nothing you can do about it!”

Yoo Jin sighed. He hoped that Rian’s anger would subside by the time he wakes up from this nap. After changing back into her pyjamas, Rian slipped into the massive (comfortable) bed, pretending to accidentally kick Yoo Jin as she tried to make herself comfortable on the bed.

If only the torture had stopped there. Without missing a beat, she cranked the volume to maximum and turned the channel to catch a marathon of JB’s music videos (yes, JB recently decided to emerge in the industry as a solo artist), much to Yoo Jin’s annoyance.

It was clear to Yoo Jin that she was not going to allow him to sleep or nap peacefully. In the end, he sat upright and joined her to catch the marathon. Occasionally, interrupting Rian’s focus by complaining (he does not whine) that the lighting in the music video was not right, the dance looked weird, and JB’s voice was not suitable for this kind of song, the song was too upbeat among others.

He had no idea how their petty argument on the music video suddenly took a turn to a topic of baby names. “I think Lee Jin is a nice name. A combination of your surname and my surname,” Rian replied, without taking her eyes off from the television.

“Lee Jin? Nah, too plain. Can’t you find something different? Something like Yoo Hyuk?” the rock star answered.  

It was not that he hated the name Lee Jin but should his son decided to venture into the entertainment industry, he will have to find a different name to distinguish himself from other famous people with the same name. That is freaking troublesome.

“Why not Lee Jin? Yoo Hyuk? No, I don’t want to name my child Yoo Hyuk. It sounds so dorky and unattractive. Lee Jin has a nice ring to it. If our child wants to join the entertainment industry, he could always get a stage name like I did,” she protested, as if she had read his mind.

Besides, take a look at Rian- what kind of name is that? Personally, he used to think that Rian and Ryan was the same and it was a spelling error. Ryan was a guy’s name for goodness’s sake and it was not even a uni name!

Less than a minute, they were in each other throats, regarding on the names. She hollered at him for his poor choices of name, “You got to be kidding me? Bung Hyun? That is like putting a life-time feel-free-to-bully-me-because-of-my-name sentence on the poor kid. No!”

Yoo Jin shot back, “Kyung Jin? No! We are not going to name our son after your favourite comedian! That guy is plain weird.”

“Well, at least he is smart! Not a common fool like you!” she spat. Yoo Jin gasped in horror before he responded, “Me? A common fool? What if he turned out to be unfortunate in terms of his looks? Knowing your love for pretty things, do you think you can handle that? Guess what? You can’t handle the truth!”

“Have you even thought of a name if the baby’s a girl?” she tried to counter him, by jumping to a different aspect of the same topic.

“Y-yes, w-well sort of. S-seohyun,” he stammered. Her eyes widened with surprise and rage. The look on her face was equivalent to a woman scorned. “What? Hell no,” she screeched. “Seohyun? We are not going to name our daughter after your celebrity crush-

“She’s a much better choice than your favourite comedian. Seohyun is a well-mannered, sophisticated and elegant woman who knows how to charm the opposite gender!” He fumed with irritation.

The husband and wife continued to debate until Gina Choi, one of the ten staff that worked in the cabin, knocked on the door. This abruptly halted them from talking and turned to the door. They saw the woman, gave an awkward smile on her clean face.

“Is there anything wrong, sir?” she asked, trying not to show her amusement on her face or any hints that the fact she (and the rest of her family members) heard it all. “My wife and I are having a little dispute. I was wondering how do you end some argument, let say, regarding on baby names?” he lowered his voice, almost embarrassed by it.

“If we have any matters to settle, we battle it through a series of competition, preferably karaoke. We fight until a winner emerges and there are no compromises unless the winner decides to do some compromises,” informed Gina, politely.

Singing? Karaoke? That was certainly easy. He was a singer, albeit a singer who sings rock songs for a living. He had released ballads and it was a hit (sort of). When he beat her in singing, surely he will win the naming rights to their first child and he would not be given a common name!

Gina called out to two young girls, possibly around fourteen and thirteen respectively. They rushed to get to her side and bowed at the sight of Yoo Jin, who flashed a quick smile at them. The older woman instructed the two girls to get the theatre room ready and with a quick nod from both, they left Yoo Jin at the door alone while Gina went to check on their lunch.

Exactly three hours later, Yoo Jin found himself unable to believe what had just happened in the theatre room. The score board flashed out their respective scores, eighty-seven to sixty-four- his score being the sixty- four.

“Yah, this is impossible! You cheated, didn’t you? I can smell it!” He glared at his wife. Rian only smirked at the shocked rock star and then took the remote from his hand. She flicked the song selection to see if they had any HershE’s songs.

“Of course, I did not. Don’t you forget, I used to be an idol,” she responded, smugly. Yoo Jin raised his brow, rebuked, “An idol and a singer is not the same-

“I was a singing idol, an idol of a famous idol group which sings. There’s not much of a difference. Really,” she retorted, rolled her eyes at his immaturity. Yoo Jin threw daggers at her, exclaimed, “You weren’t even the vocalist! Just the visual!”

Rian who was ecstatic over her win, decided to ignore Yoo Jin’s last comment.  Her eyes brightened at the sight of a rather familiar looking song and proceeded to select the song to play. “It’s settled. Lee Jin’s the name if it’s a boy. Jiyeon, if it’s a girl. Now stop mopping, join me. It’s been a while since I sing this song.”

Rian held the extra microphone out and he took it, grudgingly. Still unsatisfied with the outcome. Once the music started, Yoo Jin started to belt out the first lines of the song, “The meaning of the feeling that comes upon me when you look at me.”

She sang the second line, with a huge smile on her face. “And the scent I've left behind for something else,” sang Rian. They sang Clazziquai’s Romeo N Juliet before heading for their lunch. All that singing was making the couple hungry.

In the next ten years, he lost the naming rights to Rian, who named their sons, Kyung Jin and Yoo Ji. She only shared the naming rights to the twins because she couldn’t think off any names that fit the personality of their youngest son. But he didn’t mind that he lost. In fact, when he reflected on the kind of names he almost wanted to give to his children, it hit him that the names he thought off was rather strange. Losing the naming rights was one of the many things his children should thank Rian for.