Dance With Me Tonight

Life with a Thorn Named Rian

The night Siwoo threw a soiree to celebrate his newly release album and his reconciliation to Nana was one of the nights either one of them can ever forget. It was that particular night that they actually came to an arrangement which they have been holding on to every since.

The lavish party had allocated some of the music to a much slower tempo and everyone joined in to dance. Almost everyone, except one Jin Yoo Jin. He stared at the other dancers dejectedly. The feeling of being dateless and single sunk in once he saw most of the people attending Siwoo’s party came in twos. Just then, his eyes detected a decipherable form.

He smirked to himself. How could he miss it? Sitting in between Ailee and her latest, flirty boyfriend, was the fur-coat obsessed Rian. The smirk on his face grew wider. That pesky Lee Jun was not there to accompany her. He got to his feet a little too quickly but threw his bottom on the chair swiftly when her eyes glanced at his direction, pretending to take an interest of his silver cutlery on the table.

This was his chance, to ask her for a dance. A dance between two friends. He definitely did not think of her as a … a gorgeous, single girl who needs a shining knight in armour which he gladly would be- Wait, get yourself together, Yoo Jin! He shook his head. But his cheeks reddened with embarrassment. What is wrong with him? He does NOT have feelings for Rian. Does he? Yes, the best way to know for sure is to dance with her.

After several debating to himself, with determination in his eyes, he brought himself to speak with her. Her eyes betrayed her surprise, while her face kept her emotions stoic. He grinned at her. “Where’s Mr. Perfect? Shouldn’t he around here somewhere?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“He’s a little busy-

“Being a jerk?” he chimed. She carved a curious look on her face. “And how would you know this?” she retorted. He just shrugged, giving a knowing smile. “I just know.” The music began to pick up the beat and tempo. He held her hand out, “Dance with me tonight?”

She just gave his hanging hand a stare before asking a question of her own, “How’s your tango skill?”

“A little rusty but manageable.” She smiled to herself and took his hand. “Good, we are going to tango.”

A gleam of mischief flashed in her eyes, which Yoo Jin did not fancy at all. But he just obeyed. A dance is still a dance. He cannot complain much. He needed to know. To confirm if he was experiencing hallucinations or is he really in love with her.

She placed her arm over his shoulder and his hand found its spot on her waist. Within minutes, their version of a friendly tango began.  They swayed to the left, he brought his right foot backward and she followed his lead, twirling across the hall.

“Enough about me. What about you? Still a lone wolf? Can’t get over her?” she teased. He snorted. “Ha, ha, ha, very funny. As if you couldn’t let go of him either. What’s the story between you and Mr. Perfect?”

For one who claimed his tango skills were rusty, the two danced flawlessly to the music, with almost no effort. “He was too obsessed. And a little needy. I hate that type of men.”

“Then, why date him?” he inquired, without missing a beat of dancing. She nonchalantly replied, “I was bored.” He did not press any further; instead they both were immersed in tango for a while until she spoke, “It’s been three years now. Don’t tell me you haven’t the courage to ask her yet? What happened to “Wait ‘till I am famous and I’m going to win your heart”? I had to admit it was the best speech you ever came up with, even though it was cheesy, so- she left her words hanging, eyes sneaking a quick glance at his face.

“It’s obvious. I’m not that famous yet. Ergo, it’s not the right time,” he answered.

 “Oh, please. You just received a triple win for your ballad song, the netizens loved your music,” she snapped, half-heartily. They both danced, without being aware that they were currently the centre of attraction with the intense tango.

“I’m not blind, you know. That song was clearly written for her. You just can’t express yourself properly, do you?”

“No, it’s not. The song was not for her,” he protested, getting a little defensive. She just raised an eyebrow, “Well, you were inspired by her. The song may have undergone a little facelift but I can tell it was for Shin Haesong,” she said, almost whispering.

They slowed down just as the music shifted to a slower cadence. No longer tango, just dancing to a slow waltz. He sensed her body tensed as they got closer, their lips were nearly touched as they swung to the music. His brain went numb, he could think of anything except her sweet, tender lips.

“I think I like you-

“I liked you too,” she cut him off. Quickly added, “As a friend.” Her eyes were no longer on him, but he could feel that she was gazing into his mind instead. As if she could read his mind.

He opened his mouth to say something, but closed it when she continued, almost absentmindedly, “You want to know why my relationships doesn’t last long? It’s because I still see him in my dreams, I still go to bed, wishing he could come back into my arms. I know it’s ridiculous. But that’s reality. I loved him so much that I can’t seem to let him go after all these years. Those men I dated, it was just kill time.”

“I-I see.  I understand it perfectly well,” he finally said. It was true. His feelings for Haesong never faltered with time. Instead, it grew stronger and in the end, he omitted to any woman who had intentions to date him with the hope that if he had stayed true to his feelings, Haesong would come to her senses and go to him.

“I can’t love another man as much as I love JB,” Rian mumbled. He nodded in response, “So do I,” he lied. She cackled at his horrified expression, seeing how wrong his words were. “In love with another woman, I mean, I can’t never love another woman again- not JB. I’m not gay,” he barked, flustered at his own words. Her words confirmed the fact that there could never be anything than friends in their relationship. Their moment was interrupted by another man hoping to secure a dance with Rian. Yoo Jin glared at him.

“I’m sorry but I like to dance with my boyfriend a little longer,” she returned, with an apologetic smile. The other man just nodded, quickly apologised and left them. She turned to face Yoo Jin, whose eyes were wide as dinner plate, exclaiming, “I’m your what?”

“I do not need another man to pursue me. After Lee Jun, the type of men who seemed to like chase me is strange and just not up to my standards.”

“You mean because they are not JB that you refused their advances?” he joshed, a smirk taking a place over his face. She just ignored his little comment, replying, “The more I refused their advances, the more determined they get. Each getting weirder after the previous. The only way they will stop if I said I have a boyfriend.”

“When did you come up with this brilliant plan of yours?” he stared at her sceptically.  She broke into a wide ‘I’m a genius’ smile. “Just now. I figured you are a good-looking man. Muscular, handsome, and tall. Your whole outer appearance screamed ‘If-you-cross-me, I-will-cut-you’. Men are afraid of you, both ually and unually.”

He scoffed. “All I need you to be is my fake boyfriend. It’s not like you’re with anyone anyway.” He was unconvinced of her plan. “What do you want to me to do exactly?”

“It’s easy. I just need you to ward off those annoying stars or idols from pursuing me. And I trust no other man except you. If you do that, I will gladly provide my luxury apartment for you to stay for as long as you like.”

“Wait, how did you know I am homeless?”

She motioned towards Ui Bong’s direction. “He told Hong Joo and Hong Joo shared the news with Nana, before they went separate ways.” Yoo Jin threw daggers at Ui Bong, who was engrossed in a conversation between him, Seul and Sondong.

“Fine, fine. I’ll be your fake boyfriend. Only in name,” he stressed at her. She nodded. “Definitely. You and I are friends. I like it to keep that way,” she said, putting her hand out for him to shake and he took it. “Yeah, we functioned better that way.”

“Friends for life?” she said, grinning sheepishly at the cheesiness of her words. “Friends for life. Now, let’s talk about your apartment. I want the master bedroom.”

From that point onwards, not only he became her fake boyfriend, but also, her best friend and confidant, among others, including being her occasional slave (don’t ask, thanks to certain damaging photographs). Being friends with her suited him just fine. After all, they functioned better as friends, instead of lovers.