The Wedding Daze

Life with a Thorn Named Rian

 

There was a saying that goes a man never forgets his first love while a woman never forgets her last. He used to believe in that. Right now, he was not sure about the accuracy of the saying.

Across the corridors of the Church lies the groom’s waiting room. Yoo Jin refused to sit down while his two best men grew tired of his restlessness. Ui Bong straightened out his bow tie while Hong Joo continued to smother down his artificial permed hair gone wrong. Both of them turned to each other, beaming with satisfied smile, held their thumbs up and answered in unison, “Handsome!”

Yoo Jin, on the other hand, was not pleased with his appearance at all. He had combed his short, dark lustrous hair to the front before slicking them back like a 60s gentleman and then ran his long fingers through his mane, messing it up to get the unkempt hair most rockers with short hair would have. He turned to the other two, repeating the same and only question he had been asking since he was fitted into his black tuxedo.

Any man would kill to be in his position. The very fact that he was about to be her husband was all it needed for him to enter to the list of Korea’s Most Wanted. After all, Rian was the darling of the republic since she debuted in HershE and even after she ventured into acting; her popularity and their devotion never wavered. So, that was one of the reasons why he, Jin Yoo Jin, was damn nervous.

“How do I look? Better? Or ugly?”

His trusty sidekicks shook their head simultaneously, Ui Bong quipped, “The first hairstyle you supported was much better.”

“Really?” He returned his attention towards the mirror, quickly getting his hair back to its natural style. Hong Joo wailed, “Why do you care so much about your appearance? You’re only marrying Rian, why do you even bother about your appearance? Normally, you hardly give a damn on your looks.”

Ui Bong chuckled. “The fact that he’s marrying Rian that he has to achieve perfection. Have you seen the number of A-list stars waiting in the church?” asked Ui Bong, excitedly.

Hong Joo replied, “Yeah. That Rian must have known a lot of famous people. I mean I saw the famous actress Ham Eunjung and her husband, Kim Soo Hyun. Even the T-ara members are present for this wedding. I thought this was supposed to be a small ceremony for family and closed friends only?”

The dance teacher tore his eyes from Hong Joo briefly, just in time to catch Yoo Jin giving his brown paisley vest a discontented gaze and was about to turn around to ask for them when Ui Bong interjected, “The vest looks good on you. Its classic and the only thing to remind the guests that you are no actor or singer but a famous rock star.”

Yoo Jin, contented with Ui Bong’s answer, went back to scrutinising his appearance, and now was fiddling his cufflinks. “You were saying?” Hong Joo asked. “Rian’s an A-list actress with a wide social network and she had done a lot of famous projects. Remember that movie, Death Bell 2? She was the star and a couple of movies that made it to the Cannes Festival. Obviously, she had made good friends with those A-list stars through her works. So, they got an invitation too.”

Hong Joo nodded, but then raised the one question that had been bothering him since Yoo Jin announced his engagement to their former classmate. “With so many famous and A-list friends, why did she pick him over the other male stars?”

“I had been wondering the same thing. I guess we will never know the peculiar reasons to as why she chose him,” replied Ui Bong, casting a quick look at his watch. His eyes enlarged with surprise, got to his feet quickly and panic set in.

“Damn, we’re supposed to be in the hall five minutes ago!” he shrieked, he grabbed Yoo Jin’s shoulders and tried to get him away from the mirror, motioned to Hong Joo to help him, “Let’s go.” Yoo Jin tried to protest, wanting to get a final look at his reflection, but if he really want, he could have easily shove Ui Bong and Hong Joo away, noticing how they were almost a head shorter than he really was.

“That’s enough. You looked absolutely fantastic, am I right, Hong Joo?” he prod the other man, trying to push Yoo Jin with all his strength. Hong Joo agreed, but could only afford to grunt as a response. It took the dynamic shorties about ten minutes to get Yoo Jin to the altar.

While the boys waited at the altar for the terrifying but beautiful bride and her out-of-bounds bridesmaids (Seul forbid any flirty interaction between the dance teacher and Ailee if he wanted to live another day where as Hong Joo kept gulping when his eyes met the angry glare of a man taller than he was and Nana’s current lover), Yoo Jin kept sneaking glances at his wrist watch.

The whole audiences in the church broke in whispers and chatters, as they saw Rian gliding down the aisle, trailing behind her was none other than her former band-mates. All traces of anxiety vanished from his face, instead there was just an expression worn by a man was as if he had just won the lottery. He had his famous grin on and his eyes crinkled into half-crescent.

But the smile melted away in an instance when the sound of an engine belonged to a Harley Davidson echoed within the halls of the cathedral, every man and women had their eyes set on the bike and the rider in black leather. The man in question was none other than Lee Jun, Yoo Jin’s greatest rival after JB. It was like just looking at a movie where the hero rushed to save the heroine from making a huge mistake by marrying the wrong guy and he does that by crashing the wedding in a cool manner, in a trendy bike. And the guy who was about to get married ended up looking like an idiot.

Yoo Jin’s face scrunched in annoyance, when he saw Rian eyeing Lee Jun lustily and it got much worse when he bellowed to the whole church, “Ji Kyung, I was a fool for thinking I did not love you. But you’re about to commit the biggest mistake in your life if you continue with this madness. I promised to take care of you and raise your child like it was one of my own. “

If anyone asked his opinion on the menace called Lee Jun, Yoo Jin thought that his speech was like a badly scripted lines and he looked a little ridiculous in skin-tight black leather. His attempts to harness machoism from the power of black leather failed miserably. Instead his suit screamed ‘first class idiot’.

“I love you, Lee Ji Kyung,” he said, lovingly.

Just then, Rian did the unthinkable. She threw her bouquet of flowers at Nana, flashed a grin at her and said, “You can have it.” Then she proceeded to climb the backseat of the motorcycle, blew him a flying kiss and winked. “I’ve changed my mind, he’s right. It was nice while it lasts. Beside, we’re nothing more than best friends,” the words spewing from her caused the whole guests wheezed in revulsion like those invisible audience that produced additional effects in sitcom (it was mostly the female guests while their respective partners seemed to enjoying the scene with mischievous howls)

Another cheesy line. What was this? A low-rating soap opera? He shook his head at the absurdity of the scene in the church.

He laughed out loud, the only one laughing his off, and wiped the tears of his eyes with the ends of his sleeve. The look on his face showed he was dismayed with the others’ reactions.

Wait, wait, WAIT. This was not Lee Jun’s fairytale. This was HIS (Jin Yoo Jin’s) wedding. There was no way in hell, he was going to let that jerk whisked her away from him. Not after the hours he invested into creating the ideal proposal and withstanding her constant mood swings. Especially not after he paid for this so-called small wedding ceremony. Plus, his outfit did not just fall from the sky, he had to piece this outfit together and it took god damn 4 hours to find the vest in ten different shops. No, he’s going to-

He felt someone grasped his shoulders to prevent him from continuing his intention to march over to the bike and get his bride back. He glowered at Ui Bong, who seemed oblivious to the situation brewing in the church. “Where are you going? It’s about to start.”

“Wow, Riannie looks so gorgeous in that white Valentino dress,” Nana whispered to the woman next to her, to which Ailee replied, “I knew it! She looked much better in this, just like a real princess.” He overheard the two whispering, turned his fullest attention to the end of the aisle and his eyes met one of Korea’s most beautiful goddess-like brides.

What? Didn’t she decide to go with Lee Jun? Where’s that motorcycle? And the jerk?

The groom turned to the nearest best man and questioned (almost half yelling), “What happened to the motorbike? Where’s that jerk?” Ui Bong stared at him, like he was half-crazy, pointing at the man mentioned by Yoo Jin, sitting next to another former idol, After School’s Lizzy. They were in the middle of a discussion, looking a lot like a couple than just acquaintances.

Yoo Jin shook his head, but carved a hidden embarrassed smile to himself. It turned out to be just his imagination. It was not even real. His bride, with her father, was making her way down the aisle. A motion way in the background caught Hong Joo’s sight. He spotted JB and Haesong taking seats on the bench as if they just arrived.

“Yah, look Haesong and her husband just arrive? Did you invite them to your wedding?” he asked the groom, whose eyes did not move from the beauty, on her way to join them at the altar. “Who? Who’s Haesong?” Yoo Jin muttered.

When she finally reached at the altar, Yoo Jin remembered that his focus and eyes never moved away from his bride. In that brief moment, until she said “I do”, he was a nervous wreck because in his mind, he was afraid that she would have a change of heart and he can’t have that happening. And through out the whole wedding, he did not recall who Shin Haesong was and what her place in his heart was. What was certain that the woman who captured his mind and heart was a former Bad-acting Idol, his best friend and the mother to his bratty, rude kids.