The Door is Meant for Knocking Purposes

Life with a Thorn Named Rian

He should have seen it coming. He learnt it first hand. Rian was rather fond of barging into people’s room without a proper prior notice (a knock on the door is much appreciated). Trust her to knock. But that was just wishful thinking.

With the recent decision to expand the dormitory had forced the dorm management to squeeze four people into a room meant for two. In the unfortunate case of Rian who had to share with Haesong, Seul and Sondong, Yoo Jin seemed to be surviving just nicely after certain arrangements were taken care off and he moved out from his own room (he did not want to see JB’s arrogant face as the first thing he sees in the morning) and into the dwellings of the dynamic shorties.

He took the single bed while Ui Bong and Hong Joo agreed to sleep together in the upper bunk bed after a heated debate in which Yoo Jin sealed his victory, telling the other two since he was much taller, muscular and bulkier (with muscle) than the two, he therefore won the rights to sleep on the single bed unchallenged.

Another late night with the boys, celebrating their victory in the second round of Super Idol Audition, resulted in the three boys sleeping late. The last one to enter the room after they had a good wash and brushing of the teeth was none other than Hong Joo who could barely even keep his eyes opened.

He rubbed his eyes as he closed the door behind him, forgetting to actually lock the door. The two snuggled closer to each other while Yoo Jin slept peacefully, exposing his shirtless body. The door creaked open, a head bobbed out from behind the door, scanning the room.

Her eyes grew wider in surprise, as she squealed in delight. She had found her target, sleeping soundly right in front of her, alone. She tiptoed towards his bed and yanked off the blanket covering his body only to be met with his screams and her shrieks (oddly enough the two Shorty brothers were unaffected by this).

“Get up! Aaah!” shrieked the already disbanded HershE member.

He reached for his pillows, vainly tried to cover his body from being seen while she turned around to avoid catching him in his half- state. But it wasn’t his body that got her appalled. The raw, stale masculine scent that caught her by surprise, “The smell is so strong,” she said, covering her nose with her right hand.

“Y-you … what are you doing?” he stuttered a little, clutching two pillows against his body dearly.

Let’s get this straight. He was not ashamed of his body. His body was the epitome of manliness and the envy of many. He’s not a dancer but he knew that a good, muscular body is one way to attract the ladies. He had the ideal height, and basketball helped him to keep his body in good shape. And just maybe, it will catch the eye of one Shin Haesong.

 “Do you think you can enter a boy’s dorm room whenever you want?” he fired more questions at her. She seemed to be enjoying him being in a state of mortification, smiling and laughing. “No matter what, this is still a boy’s dorm room,” he continued to holler.

So far, he had bared his body to his fellow male companions for them to envy. It was a bad habit of his. Trying to get praises in the wrong way. But what can he do? He needed them for extra boost in his already high self-confidence. He never let the ladies sees his six-pack abs, he preferred to tease them with a glimpse of that when time permits. That is why there’s has been no woman to catch his upper torso in its bareness glory. And that … Rian was the first.

“Yah, do you know how long the sun has been up … why are you still sleeping?” she cried, looking at him with a frown. “Get up quickly,” she muttered. He stared at her, wide-eyed, asked, “Why? You want to practice again?”

“Let’s rest for a day.” She carved a smile on her face and replied, “I’ve prepared food. Let’s eat.”

A grin stole his face. “What? Food?” And it grew wider when she nodded.

“Now, you’re even preparing breakfast?”

“Well,” her voice trailed off, but her smile grew bigger, matching the grin on his face. “Are you preparing to be a good wife?” he questioned, continued, “Oh, it looks like you didn’t put on makeup, either.” Peering closer to her (as far as his sitting position allowed, though).

The continual praises seemed to add the slight fluster in her face and also, made her shy with his rare approval. “You also took off your fake eyelashes,” pointing briefly at her face, stretching his hand towards it.

“How obedient,” he applauded her. “You like me, right?” he deduced with all her recent transformation into a more ordinary looking girl. She just chuckled, before reaching for his pillow and whacking him hard, howled, “Why would I? Why would I? Why would I like you?”

Throwing the pillow she was holding before at him and instructed him, “Come out quickly and eat.”

The first incident should have been the warning for her habit to barge into rooms without bothering to give a knock. Years later, after they were reunited in the filming of his music video, he discovered her habit never really died.

After being homeless for couple of weeks and having to commute between Hong Joo’s apartment and Kirin High (Ui Bong was currently the dance teacher and also the den mother), he finally could rest and sleep in peace. It did not matter that he was stuck sleeping in the guest room and not the master bedroom he demanded before.

Hong Joo always had Nana around and that woman thought bringing another single lady for him was the best thing she could do for him considering the years had passed since Haseong went to study abroad and he, Yoo Jin, remained single. Ui Bong, on the other hand, spent most of his time cowered behind Yoo Jin’s back whenever Seul had her furious face on which was all the time and he spent those times acting as human shield against Seul.

Home, sweet home, he thought to himself. Although technically it cannot be called as ‘his home’, since it was Rian’s apartment and he did not pay rent for it. But still … the saying was fitting. It’s been a long time since he had adequate sleeping hours-

Despite having his eyes closed, he felt the temperature in his cosy, private room, drastically increased. It was when he heard the sound of the curtains being drawn, he grew uneasy. And then came that abrupt jerk of his blanket, he instinctively knew the identity of his intruder.

“Yah! What the hell are you doing in my room!” he boomed, glaring at the invader, scornfully. As usual, pillows surrounded his body, like a fortress. His unkempt hair sticking out and his eyes narrowed at her, looking up from his bed.

Rian just smirked. “The sun’s up. The weather is beautiful. So, wake up, you lazy head. I’ve made breakfast.” Now his glare had been reduced to a squint and a huge loop-side grin, “Breakfast? Wow, it feels like I chose the right place to sleep.”

Sometimes, things never change. The intruding. The pulling of the blanket. The beating. The breakfast. And it wasn’t even made by her own hands. Instead, her mother who conveniently decided to stop by and made breakfast after finding out Rian has a new housemate.

“You think I run a bed and breakfast? Of course, not. I’m not your wife! I’m your landlady and I’m telling you to wake up,” she said, throwing the blanket at his direction. He blocked the incoming sheet with his two hands and yelled, “Yah! You know what? I’ve made up my mind. If you have your rules when living in your apartment, then I have my own rules concerning my room. One of it is never barge into my room when I’m sleeping or taking a bath!” he spat.

“Fine! Hurry up or I will finish breakfast myself,” she spat back and stomped into the living room, slamming the door after her.

This was how rule number five came to be. But Rian, she only follows the rules when she feels like it or if it suited her. Otherwise, the rules he came out with proved to be extremely useless.