Conclusion - Final Chapter

The Prequel

"You want to break up with me?"

"Yes," replied Bom as she clutched her cellphone. Tears were now slowly escaping from her eyes. "I want to break up with you."

Seungho whispered into the phone. "Bom...why?"

"I'm sorry." Bom quickly hung up her cellphone. She stared down at it, turned towards the river, and with all her might threw it into the thick water.

Bom raised her hand and placed it to her heart. Her heart was beating rapidly and she felt pangs of pain vibrate through her chest. Was this how it was like to break up with someone you love?

She took her shoes off the grown, wiped away her tears, and continued on walking home.

---------------------------------------------

The door of Bom's penthouse opened with a click as she entered through. She starred at the mess of boxes before her. Newspaper wrapping were laid all over and boxes were labeled with its respectable items.

"Mom?" called out Bom.

"In my room!"

Bom manuevered through the mess and found her mom in her own room emptying out her closet. "Emptying out alright?" Bom asked.

Her mom nodded. "Yup, it's better to get all the clothes out of the way before I get all the fragiles in the kitchen." Her mom turned around to face her with a pile of her dad's dress shirts in her hands. "Can you do me a favor and get me that box over there."

Bom got the box and set it in front of her mom who began neatly placing the clothing items in.

"Did you tell all your friends at school that you're moving?" Her mom asked.

"Yeah," lied Bom.

"How about Seungho and Jungjin, how'd they take it?"

"They both took it well actually." lied Bom once again.

"Well that's good!" smiled her mom as she stood up. Her mom placed her hand on her shoulder and rubbed it. "Are you going to be okay?"

Bom nodded, "It's a great opportunity for you and appa, and Australia sounds like fun."

"That's good Bommie, you'll like it in Australia." Her mom dropped her hand and began to walk over to the closet. "Now you start packing too, we leave in two days."

"Okay," Bom left her parents room and entered in hers. As she closed the door, Bom stopped at the doorway.

Her mom had set three large boxes by her dresser. She starred at the room that was hers for the past eighteen years of her life. She never thought that one day this penthouse wouldn't be hers. In just two more days, it'll be a vast of emptyness of what used to be.

Bom made her way across the room and placed her hand on her wooden desk. There lay her papers from Chemistry and the two pictures of her and Jungjin. Dr. Kim was going to kill her when she finds out Bom has to leave the chem team. She picked up the picture frame that held Bom and Jungjin back to two years ago. They looked so different.....and happy back then. If their past selves had come back and take a look at their tattered friendship now, they wouldn't even notice them. She slowly set the frame back on the desk, turn around and began packing up her things.

---------------------------------------------

"We'll all surely miss you Lee Bom."

Bom bowed her head down at the principle of their school. "Thank you Principle Baek for understanding."

The principle nodded and handed her, her transfer papers. "Now go and have a good last day at Sangyup High School."

Bom exited the principle's office clutching her transfer papers in her hands.

"Bom!"

Bom turned around and found Jungjin running towards her. She quickly stuffed the papers in her bag.

Jungjin stopped before her, out of breath. "Hey, where were you yesterday."

Bom hitched her bag on her shouder, "Out." She replied as she began walking to class.

"What do you mean out?" followed Jungjin. "You disappeared on me and Seojin yesterday."

"Oh I'm sorry," said Bom sarcastically. "I didn't know I had to report to you and your new best friend now."

Suddenly, with two long strides, Jungjin was now in front of her and blocking her path.

"Move aside Jungjin, I'm not in the mood to play with your bull right now."

Jungjin scoofed. "Are you really mad at me right now?"

"YES!" yelled Bom in his face. "You finally realize that it's not you who's mad at me, it's me who's mad at ing you."

Jungjin rolled his eyes. "You're being really immature right now Lee Bom."

"Oh? I'm being immature? Well--" Bom stopped and threw her hands up in the air with a deep sigh. "You know what, this arguement is not worth wasting my breath right now. So if you don't mind? Move out of my way."

Jungjin blocked her path once again. "I won't move out of your way. I don't know what I did wrong."

"You're not smart enough to understand anyways," said Bom under her breath.

"I have a G.P.A. of 3.8 and ranked number 28 in the whole ing class. I think, no I KNOW that I'm smart enough to understand."

Bom smirked. "Yeah, you're smart in your academics but you have no ing COMMON SENSE whatsoever!" Bom shoved Jungjin aside with all her strength. She heard a loud bang collide with the lockers. As she walked away Bom yelled out, "By the way I'm ing moving to Australia!"

---------------------------------------------

It was night time and the crickets were playing their song in the background as Bom starred at the door in front of her.She was at Seungho's home. She closed her eyes remembering the memories she had here. Some good and some bad. She took a deep breath in and rang the doorbell.

A few seconds later the door opened revealing Seungho's older sister. His sister starred at her with cold eyes.

Bom looked away and asked, "Hi, is Seungho home?"

"Why, so you can feel less guilty about breaking up with him and you can go on your marry rich way and do whatever the hell you want?"

"Noona, stop."

Bom turned around and there was Seungho standing behind her. He moved aside and went up to his sister.

"I'll take it from here."

His sister starred at him as if to say 'Are you serious?' before sighing loudly and closing the door. Seungho turned back to Bom and gave her a small smile. "Sorry about that, she's a little sensitive when it comes to me. Anyways, what are you doing here?"

"Your sisters right, I do feel guilty. So I came to talk."

Seungho nodded. He took a seat on his one door step and patted the empty space next to him. "I tried calling you a couple of times but you didn't answer."

Bom pulled her knees close and folded her arms across her chest. "Yeah well, I threw it in the river."

"Oh..."

They were silenced by their awkwardness. It had only been a day and a night since they had broken up. Bom was leaving to Australia tomorrow evening and she didn't want to leave things between them bad. This was not the time to beat around the bush.

She looked down at the ground. "I'm moving to Australia tomorrow. I'm sorry I didn't mention that in our last phone call."

"Is that it? Is that the reason why you broke up with me?" Seungho said coldly. "Or is there more?"

"No, there isn't any other reason besides the fact that I'm moving away."

Seungho closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his dark red hair. "Bull. Don't lie to me Bom. I know you better than you think I do. Something this small like moving away wouldn't be a problem. Did you ever love me Bom?"

Bom looked at Seungho with peircing eyes. "That's not fair."

"Just answer the question Lee Bom." said Seungho sternly. He looked at Bom with the same intense eyes.

Bom broke the stare and looked down at her feet. "How...can I not fall in love with you? You were the most attainable guy out there and you could have dated any girl you wanted. Instead, you chose me. I could never understand why you chose me. I have so much baggage that I need a cart to carry it all. I have problems that never seem to end, instead it piles up. Jungjin is my problem and you get involved with everything. You get hurt because I'm always hurt. I hurt you because all I can think about is myself and Jungjin right now. How selfish of me to ever put you in that situation. Seungho, I'm not ready to appreciate being in love. I can't right now. Sure, moving away was just a little reason to break up with you. Moving away gave me that opportunity to break up with you. You may not know it but I've been contemplating on this for weeks. I can't be the girlfriend you want me to be Seungho. I can't be always there for you and I know you don't complain about it but I can see it in your eyes. Remember? I can read eyes." Bom looked back at Seungho with tears in her eyes. "I'm scared of becoming like Jungjin and no one deserves that. I'm scared of falling in love too hard, too fast."

Seungho slowly reached over and with his thumb wiped away Bom's tears from her eyes. He then held her face in his palm. "The only thing that could ever hurt me the most from you is that you shut me out. Like what your doing right now. Shutting me out. I may not be like you in many ways but give yourself some credit. The person I see in front of my eyes is someone no one can compare too. You are yourself, there is no way you can be anyone else but you. I can take on any baggage you bring along. I can take on any problems you have. I don't care if I don't talk to you or see you in days or weeks, as long as I know your mine. I'm more than just Seungho your boyfriend. I'm your best friend. Don't ever be scared because I will always be here for you." He gave her a soft smile and he his thumb agaisnt her cheeks. "Did you know that I would rather get beaten up by 100 guys than hear you say the words 'break up' come out of your mouth?" 

Bom reached up to hold onto Seungho's hand. "Why are you so good to me?"

Seungho pulled Bom into a warm and tight embrace. He nestled his head between her neck and shoulders. "Because you're worth it. You're not easy Lee Bom, but you're worth it."

---------------------------------------------

Bom woke up the next morning to the blinding sunlight streaming through her windows. She rolled around and found that it was 10 a.m. She almost forgot that she didn't have to go to school anymore. Bom quietly got up from bed. She layed her blanket over the bed and looked around her. Her room was no longer recognizeable anymore. It was...empty and bare. The only things left were her luggage and the carry on bag she was going to bring to the airport. Today was the day.

Bom did her usual routine. She went to the bathroom, washed her face and brushed her teeth. Then she got changed. She simply put on black leggings with a large navy blue sweater that went past her hips. It was the airport not a runway. As she pulled her hair into a low ponytail, she heard the doorbell ring. Bom heard her dads footsteps make his way to the door and open it. A few seconds later he called out to her. "Bom, your friend is here!"

Bom made her way to the front door and was surprised to find who was standing in it. "Thanks Dad, I got it." She stepped outside of her door and closed it behind her. She crossed her arms across her chest. "What are you doing here Raemi."

Raemi smiled at her as she tucked her newly cut hair over her ear. Why was it when girls get new boyfriends they always cut their hair. "Just here to say goodbye."

"Oh, you know."

"Sweetheart, everyone knows your leaving. Some say you got knocked up." said Raemi pointing down at her own stomach.

"You know thats not it Raemi. If thats all you have to say to me then you can go." Bom turned and began to open the door.

"Wait." Raemi sighed. "I'm here to apologize."

Bom raised one eyebrow before she turned to face Raemi again. "Well this should be interesting."

"I know you don't like me and I don't like you. What I do apologize for is my own actions. I was petty and careless with my feelings. Its just the way I am. I live for attention. But I am not sorry for how Jungjin had become. I may have started it but he could have ended it himself. You can't blame me for liking him once upon a time." Raemi held out her hand for Bom to take. "So, I apologize."

Bom took Raemi's hand in hers and shook it. 

Raemi smiled. "Goodbye Lee Bom. Maybe we'll meet again in the future."

Bom gave her a soft smile. "Goodbye Song Raemi."

--------------------------------------------- 

"I can't believe your moving away Bommie." Heyi set down a glass of water for Bom to drink on the coffee table.

"I wish I told you sooner." said Bom as she accepted the glass.

For her last visit in Seoul, Bom went to Heyi and Seohyun's apartment. It was a nice quaint place. It was neat, completely what Bom had not expected. She thought she would see empty beer and wine bottles thrown astray in the room of cigarette stubs buried deep into the living room rug. But no. It was surprisingly...homey. 

Suddenly, Bom could hear slow footsteps coming towards them. She looked and found Seohyun making her way towards them. She looked better then when Bom last visited her at the hospital but her eyes were still sunken in and her face was pale. She literally looked like the walking dead. The glow from the first night Bom had met her, had disappeared. Seohyun gave both Bom and Heyi a soft smile as she sat herself on the couch.

She looked at Bom in the eyes. "I'm going to miss my little high schooler."

Bom cocked her head at her and smiled. "You look so much better Seohyun."

"Thanks." She took a glass of water from the coffee table and drinked little sips of water.

"How did Seungho take it?" asked Heyi.

"My moving away? Well I broke up with him. I broke up with him because I didn't want to hurt him. I became so selfish in myself that I didn't realize I was neglecting him. I was so hung up over the fact that Jungjin is still a problem in my life. I truly believe I can't have a relationship without solving my issues with Jungjin first. Seungho treated me well and he's turned into a better person. Maybe it was because of me, I don't know. I just can't give him me 100 percent. It's unfair if he gives me his all and I give only 50 percent. In the end, you know how I am, I felt bad and I decided to talk it out with him. Right now we're not dating or anything but we'll see what happens in the future."

Seohyun and Heyi nodded together. "That's good."

"And guess what! Raemi actually came to my house to apologize to me."

Heyi clapped her hands together. "Wow, the actually came to you and apologized. Wow Lee Bom. Is this what happens when you leave Seoul Korea potentially forever?"

Bom chuckled. "I don't know, I was so shocked I didn't really know what to say. But hey I accepted the damn apology its not like I'll ever see the again."

Heyi and Bom hi-fived each other with large grins on their faces.

"But what about Jungjin," asked Seohyun. "Did he come to see you at all?"

Bom shook her head no. "I haven't even gotten one phone call or text message from him."

"Well, how'd you break it to him?"

Bom shrugged. "I just told him."

The two scoffed. "No wonder he's mad at you." said Seohyun.

"Mad at me? Why should he be mad at me?"

"You just told him out of the blue like that! If I were him right now, I'd kill you before you get on that plane to Australia."

Bom smiled. "So very comforting Heyi."

"I'm being serious!" said Heyi trying to hide her smile.

Soon enough the three burst into laughter.

"I'm going to miss you guys."

---------------------------------------------

She was going to miss this place the most.The soft sand and the soothing sounds of the waves, Han River was home. This was the place that kept her sane when she lost the park Jungjin and her used to hang out in. This was where a lot has happened.

"I knew you would be here."

Bom looked up, surprised to find Jungjin standing before her. She looked away from him. "What are you doing here Jungjin?"

"I hear your moving away."

"Yeah...I told you."

She heard Jungjin sigh. "You didn't tell me Bom. You yelled it at me and didn't even explain why."

"There's really nothing to explain Jungjin." Suddenly hot tears began to form in her eyes. The mere fact that Jungjin was even here was just too emotional for her. She couldn't handle it.

"Of course there is something to explain! My best friend is moving away and I have barely a day left to even say goodbye or even properly hang out with you for the last time. Will you at least stand up and look at me Bom?! I have no idea why you're so mad at me!"

Bom wiped away her tears and stood up from her spot. "I'm leaving today Jungjin. There's nothing more to say about this."

Jungjin rolled his eyes. "Oh stop being so dramatic! You make every single situation more dramatic then it really is!"

"That's not true! You're so ing selfish Park Jungjin! All you think about is all about you! Guess what Jungjin. Not everything in this world revolves around you. I'm so sick and tired of hearing everything about you. Just for once, I want to leave Seoul free from your ing selfishness. I have never met such a self absorbed person in my whole entire life. None of my troubles and problems can ever ing compare to the great Park Jungjin's problems! I've had enough of you! I can't blame Raemi for this anymore. I ing blame you!" Bom turned around sharply with the heel of her foot and began walking away from Jungjin. She usually wasn't the one who ran away from things. Then why did she run this time? Bom was tired of crying, tired of waiting, and most of all tired of trying. This was her chance. This was her chance. A chance to run away. Run away from this damn school and run away from the stupid bull problems she always seemed to attract. No one could stop her.

“Lee Bom!”

That voice. That dreadfully familiar voice echoed through Bom's head like a bat’s cave. What compelled her to stop? She didn’t know. What she does know is, Bom didn’t move one inch.

Footsteps came closer and stopped behind her. “Bom, we need to talk.”

No, there was nothing to talk about. “You actually want to talk to me?” Bom's mouth twisted into a snicker. “Well this is a first isn’t it, Park Jungjin?”

She heard him sigh behind her. Bom knew that sigh as if it were her own. That sigh meant he was angry. “We’ve always talked Bom.”

“No!” Bom yelled. “We haven’t talked! Ever since…”

“Ever since what?” Jungjin questioned.

Bom shook her head. It wasn’t even worth answering.

“Bom, will you at least look at me? Please, turn around.” She felt his hand touch her shoulder slightly. “Please?”

Bom turned around. She was soft, when it came to him. The one thing she did do was look at him straight in the eye. Her eyes spoke for her as she watched Junjin’s face crumpled into a sad mess.

“How…” He started. “Did we become like this?”

“I don’t know you tell me.”

“How can I tell you Bom, when I don’t even know?!” Jungjin had that horrible angry look on his face, the one Bom sometimes laughed at.  He would keep his eyes wide open and straight ahead while his lips scrunched into a little pout. It was something Bom always made fun of him for.

“You don’t know?” She whispered. Of course he didn’t know. He was a boy for god’s sake. A damn boy. She made the mistake of befriending him in the first place. He was no girl. He wouldn’t understand. He never did anyways. “Fine I’ll tell you. We're done me and you. Done, finished, finite, and whatever the finish means in Chinese. Can’t you see that me and you can’t be best friends? I don’t think we can even be friends anymore. You’re never here anymore. “

“What are you talking about? I’m here aren’t I? I’m standing right in front of you damn it, can’t you see me?”

“I don’t think you can see me Jungjin!” Tears were welling in her eyes. She bit her lower lip to keep the tears in. “I’ve been invisible to you for six months now and today is the day you decide to show up and try to talk this out. Today is the day you try to keep this friendship alive. What made you come today? Is it because of him? Is it?”

Shock could be read throughout his face as if it were to say, how did you know?

Bom snickered in disgust. “I knew it. You can’t bear to lose me to another guy but I can lose you to any girl?”

“That’s not true!” screamed out Jungjin. “I want you and me to be best friends like we used to be. Not this stupid fighting and .”

And she said to him as tears fell from her eyes,” Please, just stop. You can’t salvage our friendship when it’s already gone. Don’t tell me that you still care and that I’m your priority. You stopped caring when she said yes. You stopped listening to me when she said yes. You stopped…being you.” Bom turned around and slowly walked away from it all.

And all Jungjin could do was watch her walk away. He knew she was right, all along. Bom was rarely ever wrong.

But something inside Jungjin told him to run after to her. To run after her and somehow apologize. And that's what he did. Jungjin grabbed Bom's shoulders and made her face him. He firmly held her so she wouldn't walk away.

"Regardless of how selfish and stupid I am. This is me Lee Bom. This is who I am. I am a selfish bastard who doesn't know how to love. Who doesn't know how to handle being heart broken. Who doesn't know how to keep the person who has been standing beside me all along. Who doesn't know how to keep a best friend. I don't know many things Lee Bom and I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I've hurt you. I'm so sorry that I let it get this way. But I honestly didn't know. You need to tell me Bom but I don't blame you. I was jealous over Seungho. I was jealous that he could make you happy. I'm your best friend and I make you miserable. I'm so sorry Bom." Jungjin said as tears fell from his eyes. "I just don't know what to do anymore."

Bom looked at Jungjin with sympathy. "The best thing for the both of us is to stop this friendship right now."

"I don't want to end this friendship!"

"Jungjin. This friendship was never meant to be. We rushed into this relationship thinking we were going to be best friends forever. In the end, we'll turn into the people who just make eye contact in the hallway and quickly look away. We'll end up being nothing to each other. I was so wrong for rushing into this friendship and not taking my time with it. Rushing into something just makes one fall deeper, faster and harder into hell. I regret every single bit of this."

She knew his words stung him deep as his expression deeply saddened even more. Jungjin looked awkwardly away from Bom. "Will you at least hug me goodbye?"

A small smile appeared on Bom's face. She reached up to wrap her arms around the tall Jungjin.

"You know this is the first real hug I've ever recieved from you." laughed Jungjin.

Bom began to cry into Jungjin's shoulder as she responded, "I know."

---------------------------------------------

This was it. Lee Bom was going to be rid of Seoul, South Korea. The feeling was bittersweet. The memories were bittersweet. She put her hand to her heart and instantly felt the relief wash over her as her steady heart beat calmed Bom down. She had learned from this. Life was harder than one could ever expect. Where it be best friends, boyfriends, es, or just plain anybody. Life and the people in your life will it make it difficult for one to live. Past this difficult road will always be a happy ending. This may not be the happy ending Lee Bom had wanted but this was an ending she needed in the prequel of her life.

It was now time to turn a new page in the first chapter of her new Australian life. What she'll find there, Bom doesn't know. But she'll always have someone there for her.

"Bom!"

Bom turned around and found a boy her age stand before her, waving.

"Hurry up, you're going to miss the flight!"

Lee Bom smiled and pulled the luggage with her. "Alright I'm coming!"

"Now boarding Flight 2026. Seoul South Korea to Sydney Ausralia."

Bom took one last glance outside the airport window to look at her home. "Goodbye."

Good luck. Lee Bom.

 

 

 

~The End~