Meeting

The Prequel

Bom stared out of the coffee shop, her eyes roaming the streets. She sat with her cup of hot coffee that early Saturday morning waiting for none other than Seojin. It was time for them to have a little talk.

As she waited, she pulled her long brown hair into a loose ponytail and let her bangs fall aimlessly to her face. Thoughts began to wander through her mind. Bom had never really known Seojin except for her own first impression of her. So far, that impression wasn’t that great.

The reason Bom even came out and invited her over was because Seungho had urged her to do it. He said that if she warned Jungjin of his real intentions towards her, it’ll save another heart.

The coffee shop bell rang above the door, signaling someone had entered. Bom looked up and there was Seojin. Bom was surprised, she looked nothing what Bom had thought she would be. Bom could tell she didn’t bother to dress up a bit before coming to meet her here. Seojin was wearing black baggy sweatpants and a tight v-neck shirt, her hands were in her pockets and when her eyes laid on Bom’s, a timid and shy smile appeared. Bom raised her hand, ushering her over. Once Seojin sat down, Bom said hello. A waiter came by and Bom ordered Seojin a drink, on her.

Seojin took her drink and thanked her. “So, why’d you call me out here?”

Bom simply shrugged. “I just wanted to talk to you about Jungjin.”

“I’m sorry I’ve been spending time with him. It may seem weird since he’s your best friend and all but I need him. I’ve been having boyfriend troubles lately and Jungjin seems really there for me.”

Bom leaned back in her chair, surprised. Did Seojin just apologize to her? “It’s okay, I’m just warning you. Jungjin is the ultimate sweet talker ever since Raemi—“

“Yeah, I know,” interrupted Seojin. “I just let him do it so that he feels good about himself.”

Bom bulged her eyes out even more. “You know?”

Seojin nodded as she took a sip of her coffee. “Of course I know, he wasn’t like that at all freshmen year. He was shy and very polite. Now he does what he wants and says what he wants without thinking. Let’s just say I’m sort of feeding him what he wants and he gobbles it all up...like a dog.”

“But by doing that, he’s ending up being cocky and .”

“Isn’t he trying to do that to me too? Why can’t I have a little fun with what I already know? Look, I’m a dramatic and I like to play games it’s just who I am.”

Bom slowly put on a small smile. Seojin was sneaky. But behind Bom’s smile she just knew there was something off about her anyways. Parts of her claims seemed real and parts of it didn’t. She knows that he’s sweet talking her to see how she reacts and Seojin’s giving him the type of reaction he wants. The way she controlled him was almost similar to what Raemi had done. But Bom knew Seojin didn’t like him like that. So what was Seojin really trying to do?

Bom took out a few bills from her purse and set them on the table. “Thanks for coming out to speak with me.”

“No problem,” replied Seojin as they both got up from the table. “It was nice seeing you again.”

“Yeah, it sure was.”

---------------------------------------------

“I think you’re being a little paranoid.”

“Seungho, you don’t understand there’s something really off about her.” Bom said into the phone, that night.

After she returned from school, she forgot all about her work and paced around her home thinking about that morning. Hours later she decided to call Seungho and they were now having a conversation about Seojin.

“I may not be a girl and have girl sense or whatever the hell that is,” replied Seungho. “But it just seems to me that she’s just poking fun at Jungjin.”

“I don’t know Seungho, I feel as if my title of being Jungjin’s best friend is slowly slipping away from my hands. Last year I had him in my palm, he was with me all the time. Ever since Raemi, I’ve been slowly losing him. Now that they’ve broken up it’s now Seojin and it’s like I’m holding on with the tips of my fingers hoping…” Bom looked down at her hands and rubbed her finger tips together. “That he’ll grasp on with his whole hand.”

“Bom, I know you’re worried right now but I’m pretty sure Jungjin is ever going to reconsider you as his true best friend. You were there through everything and you’re the only one who listens to him.”

“Seungho his calls have been less and less. All he talks about is Seojin or Raemi.”

“Just for now Bom, wait it out. See what’ll happen. Just don’t assume anything right now.”

Bom nodded. “You’re right, I’m not certain. I shouldn’t assume.

Seungho laughed. “Good, now let’s talk about something else. Like…how I want to come over and—“

Suddenly there was a beep on the other end of the line. “Hold that thought, there’s someone else on the other line.” She pressed a button and answered. “Hello? Heyi…what’s wrong?!”

---------------------------------------------

Hand in hand, Seungho and Bom ran into the hospital in Seoul. A worried expression can be both seen on the twos face. As they reached the front desk, Bom desperately asked for room number and floor. Once she obtained the information, together they entered the elevator and stared silently at the elevator door as the next 22 floors went up. Bom could feel Seungho her hand with his thumb, trying to tell her to calm down.

A minute later, the elevators doors slid opened and once again Bom was running looking for the room. As they found the room, they both entered. Bom immediately saw Heyi sitting by the bed, back turned to them. Upon hearing their footsteps Heyi turned around and greeted them with a worried yet thankful expression on her face.

“What happened?” asked Bom as she made her way over to Heyi. She turned to stare down at the sleeping Seohyun in the hospital bed.

“I’m sorry I called you so late,” said Heyi. “I just didn’t know what to do.”

Bom rested her hand on top of Heyi’s. “It’s okay, just tell me what happened.

Heyi began the story. Seohyun’s boyfriend recently broke up with her, but she hid it away from all of them especially Heyi. That night Heyi came home from work at her day time job and found Seohyun slumped over the toilet seat unconscious. She immediately called 112. Once Seohyun was in the ambulance, Heyi was able to get her awake and speak a little bit. Apparently, Seohyun had been drinking all day nonstop. It wasn’t just wine, it was the added mixture of vodka as well. Seohyun was deemed with alcohol poisoning and dehydration. Her case was very serious.

“I wish you had called me sooner Heyi.”

“I’m sorry but I was just so overworked with the papers I had to sign and calling into my job for a family emergency. Seohyun has no family Bom not even a cousin in the country. She has no one but me. I don’t know how I’m going to pay her hospital bills.”

“Don’t worry about it,” stepped in Seungho. “I have some money saved up. I’m pretty sure it’ll help the cut the costs of the bills in half.”

Heyi gave Seungho a small smile. “Thank you, but I can do this on my own. She’s my responsibility.”

Seungho shook his head. “She’s my responsibility too. She’s my friend. Taking care of each other is what friends are supposed to do.”

“I’ll take care of her too,” said Bom. “I can ask my parents if there’s some kind of discount or anything we can do to help pay for the bills.”

Heyi smiled. “Thanks guys, we appreciate it.”

Bom leaned in to give Heyi a tight squeezing hug. “Everything will be okay.”

---------------------------------------------

It was getting close to 2 am, after two hours with Heyi and comforting her, Seungho dropped off Bom back at the condo in his motorcycle. Bom kissed him goodnight and headed on in.

Bom did the usual. She washed up, got dressed for bed, and logged in on Cyworld. She needed some internet time before bed. Bom scrolled through her dashboard and checked in on Jungjin’s blog since she hadn’t talked to him all day.

“Someone I’m close with and someone who understands me. Thanks Seojin. I’m here for you when ever you need me too. that guy. You have me (: -Park Jungjin”

Bom stared at the screen with her eyes slanted rereading every single word. “Wow, you.”