The First Month

The Prequel

Surprise wasn't even the word for it. It was more like shock. Now mind you, Jungjin wasn't ugly. But nor was he gorgeous. Jungjin was the typical Korean boy. He was pretty tall for an average seventeen year old. His skin was pale and his face was small. Bom would make fun of how small his face was that if she were to put her fist next to his face it would be the exact same size. His hair was the color of Hershey kisses chocolate and was soft as a freshly dried bed sheet. It was personality that killed him. He was shy and timid and since him and Bom were always seen together it gave everyone the idea that they were going out. Which was not the case. Jungjin had confessed to Bom occasionally that he had a little crush on a girl but the girl never returned his feelings. Bom was getting a little scared he wouldn't have a girlfriend...ever. So, Bom took on a mission. She began to liven up Park Jungjin. She made him dress in nicer clothes and took him out wherever she went. Let it be parties, or just shopping Bom would instruct him on how to make conversation and how to be flirty. Although, Boms romantic life only consisted of two boys ever, it was the experience that counts.

 

After a few months of struggling Park Jungjin finally came out of his shell. He talked more and became friendly towards other people. It was a whole new Jungjin and Bom was proud that she was the reason why. He was like her newly acquired trophy put neatly in her trophy case. She liked that. Then, girls began to take interest in Jungjin. Bom had no problem with that. That was her mission anyways. Plus, it was nice to talk about Jungjins romantic life once in a while. Their phone conversations now consisted of girls crushing on him and girls finding out his phone number and texting him. It was almost like Jungjin became the school's new hottie. But no girl really pursued anything because of Bom. She was vicious when it came to Jungjin. Bom who stood at 5”3 was protective. Every girl in school knew how Bom could get and she always had her way.

 

So, when Bom spotted Jungjin run her way during study period breathless Bom knew something great had just happened.

 

“She said yes!”

 

A wide smile spread across her face as she jumped up from her seat and jumped happily up and down. “You're kidding me!”

 

Jungjin smiled. “I kid you not!”

 

Bom pulled him into a tight hug. “So will you tell me who she is?” For the past few weeks Jungjin had informed her that he liked a girl and she liked him back. He wanted the girl to be a surprise.

 

Jungjin shook his. “Not yet.” He pulled away from their hug. “I want you to meet her tonight though.”

 

Bom's eyes lit up. “Really? That's great! Where?”

 

“At the park we always hang out in. We'll be there around 6, don't be late!” Jungjin joked.

 

Bom playfully swatted his arm. “Alright I'll be there at 6.”

 

---------------------------------------------

The park was a place Bom had been going to since she started high school. The beginning of high school is always tough. Bom found solace in walking around her neighborhood comforting. She stumbled upon the park when she was lost in her thoughts walking around. It was a small place with all the typical equipment a park had. There was a swing set, a mini merry-go-round, a slide, a jungle gym and a sandbox. The park was hidden behind houses and trees which was why no one ever went there. For Bom it was her place to think. She would lie on the grass and gaze up into the stars and just think. When she started to bring Jungjin along, he understood what she meant by a place to just think. It was now what she believed was their park and no one else.

 

At exactly 6, Lee Bom trudged into the park and found Jungjin swinging on one of the swings. “I told you I would be here on time!” shouted out Bom.

 

Jungjin threw his arms up in the air as a congratulatory sign. “It's a first for everyone today isn't it?”

 

Bom nodded as she took one of the swings and sat slowly pushing on the ground to start a swing going. “Your first girlfriend and my first time being on time. I'm liking this. So where is this mystery girl? She's from our school right? I don't want some long distant relationship going on with a girl that you met over the internet.”

 

Jungjin laughed. “No, no she's from our school,” He took out his cellphone. “She should be here in a few minutes.” A beep from his cellphone indicated a text had arrived. “Actually she's here.”

 

They both looked up. Jungjin sprung off the swing and ran towards his girlfriend. They pulled each other into an embrace and kissed.

 

Bom smiled to herself. Kissing already huh Jungjin. That was fast.

 

As they came closer Lee Bom's smile slowly started to fade away. It couldn't be. As Jungjin approached closer with his girlfriend clutching on his arm Bom slowly began to figure out who the girl was. Song Raemi. One of the prettiest girls in school. She was tall and skinny with pale cream skin. Her hair was jet black and perfectly straight. She was perfect except for her reputation. Song Raemi was known as the girl you never wanted to be serious with. She would play you as if you were the strings to her violin. It was that easy. Although, her reputation didn't stop her from all the boys drooling at her feet. Disappointment read across Bom's face as she thought out of all the girls in the whole school, scratch that, whole world why did it have to be Song Raemi? Bom was nothing compared to the beautiful Raemi.

 

“Bom this is Song Raemi, Raemi this is Lee Bom my best friend.” smiled Jungjin as he introduced them.

 

Raemi gave her a small smile. “Hi.” Bom read Raemi's eyes. Her eyes were playful teasing her as if to say 'This is my man now.'

 

Bom forced a smile. “Hi.”

 

Jungjin, happy as a bee, slid his hand down Raemi's arm and into her hand as if to say it's now comfortable for Bom to do this in front of her. In truth? It wasn't. Comfortable was far from what she was feeling. She wanted to puke all over Raemi's clothes. She didn't want to seem judgmental but everything about Raemi seemed absolutely fake. From her cold smile to her smoldering eyes, Lee Bom didn't like it one bit. But, this was Jungjin's first girlfriend. She had to it up and get over it. She heard Jungjin tell Raemi to wait for him by the mini merry-go-round as he pulled Bom aside.

 

“So, what do you think?”

 

“She's pretty.” replied Bom truthfully. What was she supposed to say? She looks like a freaking that I know will break your fragile heart. No ing way.

 

“Yes! I scored on this one right?!” Jungjin said.

 

This made Bom laugh a little. “Yes, you scored.” But, not on personality. “This doesn't change anything right?”

 

Jungjin made a serious face. “Of course it doesn't, just because I have a girlfriend doesn't mean I have to change.”

 

Inside Bom breathe a sigh of relief. “Promise?” She held her pinky up for him to take.

 

Jungjin locked his pinky with hers. “Promise.”

 

---------------------------------------------

 

So where's that promise now Park Jungjin? It had been two weeks since the two started dating. It went around the whole school like wild fire and by the end of the day they had a couple name, Jungmi. Soon after that she didn't see Jungjin as much anymore. Their phone conversations dwindled to only the mention of Raemi and their texts consisted of only the usual, 'What's up? Nothing you? Same what did you do today? Nothing really. Oh? How was school? It was okay. Yeah?' and even that Bom got tired of.

 

She wasn't going to lie but even she got envious of seeing Jungjin and Raemi together at school. It was as if they were attached at the hip. Whenever Bom got anywhere close to Jungjin it was if Raemi had a radar and would flock in to interrupt the minimal conversation they had. Jungjin was never phased by it. It took Bom a week to realize she was now invisible to Jungjin. It was as if she was the old hot thing and Raemi was the new. Was Bom that easy to throw away? She felt it, but she didn't want to accept it. Whenever Bom had gotten that feeling she would call Jungjin right away to confirm nothing had changed. He had reassured her it was all the same and they would hang out as always soon.

 

Soon never happened. Soon was just a nicer way to say never. Their park was no longer their park. It was Park Jungjin and Song Raemi's park. On one of Bom's nightly walks she had encountered them lying on the grass watching the stars, just like Jungjin and Bom had once done. This had hurt Bom and she had walked away fuming in anger. Seoul has a famous river called the Han River. It was popular during the day but neglected at night with only one or two people walking along it. That night Bom remembered it was around nine. She had ran all the way to the Han River with tears in her eyes. Once she arrived she let all her tears out. “This is the feeling of being replaced.” She had thought no one was there, but there was.

 

A voice yelled out to her from under the boardwalk. “You crying there?”

 

Shocked, she remembered leaning into the bars to see who was under. Their were two girls one drinking what seemed to be beer and another smoking. They looked like trouble.

 

One of the girls looked up right at her and her lipstick stained lips smiled. “You gonna come down and tell us whats wrong or are we going to have to come up there? C'mon girly we don't bite.”

What made Bom go down that night, she didn't know. Underneath the boardwalk was a grassy and sandy area. The girls were perched on a sandy area with their toes sunk deep into it. Bom slowly approached them.

 

“Sit,” said the drinker. “It's not everyday we find a girl crying at the Han River.”

 

Bom found out the drinkers name was So Seohyun and the smokers name was Yoo Heyi. They were both equally pretty. Seohyun was the much prettier one with softer features. She looked almost cute in a way but no way did she dress or speak cute. She wore black from head to toe. Her black leather jacket accented everything else. She wore black 3 inch heels. Her hair was a wavy mess but pulled back into a messy ponytail. Her bangs covered her forehead. Her face was heavily worn with makeup with deep eyeliner and blood red lipstick. Heyi was almost the opposite. Her facial features were sharp. Her lips were always naturally pouty and eyes wide. Her cheeks were high and her neck long. She seemed a lot taller than Seohyun. Heyi added colors to wardrobe but they weren't bright. She had on black tights with a yellow thunder print on it, a large shoulder wide red sweater with designs, accessories here and there, and silver ankle sandles on her feet. Her face was clean except for tight lined eyeliner and soft pink lipstick. Her hair was pin straight and long. They were both twenty. They were different than what Bom was used to. Bom watched Seohyun take a long sip of her beer and Heyi take a long drag off her cigarette.

 

“So princess why are you out here?” asked Seohyun. They had resorted to calling Bom pretty names because her name was pretty. Spring.

 

Bom shrugged. “No particular reason.”

 

Heyi let out a laugh. “You're cute. I like that. But honey theirs always a reason why people come out to the Han River. Maybe it's just for a walk or for some fresh air or maybe someone dumped them hard or to run around thinking. In your case you came here crying. So there must be something going on. And hey don't be polite to us and don't use big words. We like it short and simple. And curse all you want. Do you see any parentals here?”

 

She had a funky personality, Bom liked that. “It's about my best friend.”

 

“He's a boy right?”

 

Bom turned to Seohyun with a raised eyebrow. “How do you know that?”

 

Seohyun smirked. “It's always about a ing boy. Tell me what did he do? Wait, let me guess it first. He promised you he wouldn't change for his girl right? I knew it. That is a bunch of bull. Every guy changes for their girl. What I'm disappointed is you actually believed him. If he had told me that I would have left his sorry to defend his ing self. When that girls dumps him cold hard one day who will he have left? No one yeah know? Boys never appreciate us. They always think their right until their left with nothing. He may be your best friend now but take a look at yourself first. Your crying babe. Your tears are slowly being wasted by him. Think to yourself is he worth it? And if he is think further than that does he think your worth it? Because if he did think you were worth it you wouldn't have met us today.”

 

“But I trust him.” Bom said trying to defend Jungjin.

 

“Do you know that?” said Seohyun taking another swig of her beer. “Why are you here then? You're scared to admit it.”

 

Heyi leaned in close to Bom's face. She smiled at her. “It’s the people that you trust the most that s you over.”

 

Touche.