First Day of School

Ahhh... Remember those times at school?

It was September, which meant that it was the start of the new school year. On the first Monday of September, Samgyeopsal Street was particularly busy. The street was jammed with honking cars, and desperate parents trying to get their children to school on time. Children and their parents were seen bustling in and out of the white picket fence. Shrieks and laughter could be heard from inside as friends reunited.

In the midst of all this noise and rush, was little Lee Taemin. He was a 3 year old, starting his first year at SM Academy. He bounced along the sidewalk in his oversized uniform, carrying his favourite Thomas the Tank Engine backpack, while clutching his umma’s hand. Taemin was very excited to be starting school, as it was a sign that he was growing up. However, he was nervous too.

Soon, they arrived at the gates of the school. Taemin’s umma let go of his hand and patted his head. 

“Be a good boy and enjoy school, ok?”

“Neh, umma!”

After kissing his umma goodbye, Taemin was left alone to face the rest of his first day. Feeling butterflies in his stomach takeover, he reached for his miniature teddy bear for luck. Looking up, Taemin gasped. Red and white buildings towered over him, instantly making him feel tiny. He pouted, having no idea where he was meant to be. Faraway, he spotted a group of kids his age crowded around something. Walking over, he noticed that it was a signpost directing the new kindergarteners to the kindergarten block. Following the crowd, he arrived at his classroom.

SM Academy sure valued their school colours, not only were the buildings covered in red and white, so were the classrooms. The tables were white, the chairs were red, the computer and keyboards were red, the carpet was red and white striped and so on. You can imagine the rest. Boys and girls were scattered around the tables. Some were talking, while most of the others stayed quiet due to shyness. Taemin found a seat near the door and sat down. Next to him sat a boy who was currently engrossed in a game on his DS. Taemin peered over the boy’s shoulder; it was Starcraft. Taking interest, he tapped the boy’s shoulder.

“Annyeong! I’m Lee Tae--”

He was cut off as the boy stuck his tongue out at him and returned to his game. Taemin pouted from the sudden rejection. Luckily, the teacher came. She was quite tall, with pink glasses and a smile plastered on her face.

“Everyone!” she clapped her hands for attention. “I am Miss Kim, and I am going to be your teacher for this year.” She scanned the classroom and took out a koala toy from her bag. “What sweet angelic faces! I guess we all don’t know each other, right? How about we start with the get-to-know-each-other game?”

After explaining the rules, the game started. Taemin was the first one to get the koala, as he was nearest to the teacher.

“Annyeong! I’m Lee Taemin. I love banana milk!” He announced in a squeaky voice. Then, he passed on the koala to the boy next to him.

“Annyeong. I’m Cho Kyuhyun and I play starcraft.” The boy mumbled. He was annoyed that the teacher had disturbed his game.

Taemin sighed and cupped a hand to his cheek. “So this is what he’s called… What a brat.” He thought to himself.

The class then went on to play a few other games, and finally it was time for recess. Taemin trudged out the classroom door. He was slightly disappointed as he had hoped that he would at least have made a new friend by then. He found a shady spot underneath a tree near the kindergarten block and sat down. He got out his beloved banana milk and started sipping on it, staring into the distance. His thoughts were suddenly interrupted as he felt a tap on his shoulder. Looking sideways, his head jerked back in shock.

“Are you new here? You’re so cute!!!” A boy with brownish hair exclaimed, examining Taemin so close that his nose was practically touching Taemin’s cheek.

“Y-Yes” Taemin replied, still in a bit of shock.

“I’M LEE DONGHAE!! WHAT’S YOUR NAME???” The boy yelled at the top of his lungs.

Taemin blushed as he felt the sudden stares from many kids in the playground.

“Lee Taemin” He answered in a much quieter voice.

“NICE TO MEET YOU!!!! YOU ARE NOW OFFICIALLY MY FRIEND!!!!!” Donghae wrapped Taemin up into a huge bear hug.

Taemin smiled as Donghae held his hand and led him to the swings. My first friend.


Woah.... Taemin and Donghae?? What a weird combination. Read on to find out what happens to them!!!

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!!!!! :D