Chapter 23: The Longing

The Maiden's Locket
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    As if anything else did not matter anymore, the two remained in their position for what seemed like eternity. The boy held the girl in his arms, not intending to let go of her any sooner; and the girl stood frozen in her spot, arms itching to envelope itself around the boy. Not one of them spoke, but neither noticed nor cared, simply because there was no need. Actions spoke louder than words. Just at this moment, with the intimate moment of hugging one another, the words spoke for itself. I miss you.
    The moment was soon interrupted, however, as Mr. Baek cleared his throat loudly. "Kai, I hope you're aware that interrupting is rude." He warned, his hand gripping on the worksheets a little tighter. Kai raised his head and then tilted it back, just enough to get a good look at the old man glowering at him. He was fuming in anger, but the students in the class were watching in awe. Eun Na felt the heat crawling up upon realising what scenery they have caused in front of her Biology class.
    Biting her bottom lip nervously, she hesitantly looked up to see Kai glaring at Mr. Baek. "Kai..." she called his name, almost in an audible whisper. The said male glanced down at her, only to see her face red as a tomato and immediately, his eyes softened. Without uttering any words, he positioned the baseball cap on the girl's head, but it was too big for her, covering just below her eyes. She blinked in surprise, but Kai did not say anything else and just pulled her to his side, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. He gave her a heart-warming smile before averting his gaze towards Mr. Baek, his expression changed instantly.
    Tilting his head to the side in amusement, he spoke, "I wouldn't interrupt unless it's necessary to do so, Mr. Baek. I know you are aware of that." He smiled at Mr. Baek, but one could easily tell that it was forced. Everyone in the whole campus knew about the tension between the two. Kai have long developed a strong passion of hatred towards the Biology teacher, ever since the beginning of semester, but no one dared to question the reason. Rumours piled as students begun assuming what had started the intense and on-going tension. Some say that Mr. Baek was harsh towards Kai, therefore the younger hated the old man, but no one believed that since Kai cared too little about the teachers and their complaints against him. Other believed, that whatever reason it may be, it must have had Eun Na involved. After all, anything or anyone that Kai hated must've, in one way or another, inflicted harm upon her. Be it emotionally or physically.
    Mr. Baek proceeded on handing the remaining worksheet out before walking back to his desk. "Is there something necessary you have to tell me, Kai?" He asked, not looking up to meet the younger male's eyes and instead kept his gaze down at the attendance booklet lay down on his desk.
    Kai smirked. "Yeah, actually, I just wanted you to know that you happen to have contradicted yourself just now. You said, it's rude to interrupt people, but you clearly interrupted Eun Na when she was about to speak to you, er," he paused, glancing down at his wrist watch, "three minutes ago." He finished, looking straight in Mr. Baek's eyes. The Biology teacher stiffened for a moment, only for a moment, until he finally managed to regain his composure.
    "There are exceptions, Kai. She was late and had no excuse. End of story." Mr. Baek explained, his voice surprisingly sounded calm and collected, but he could never fool Kai. The younger male knew his statement caught the old man off guard, and it pleased him. It pleased him a lot. Kai quickly glanced down at the girl, her head hung low and she was clutching on the straps of her bag a little bit tight, her knuckles slightly turning white and it was shaking. She was nervous.
    Clenching his jaw, he responded in a much calmer tone, "Actually, she did have an excuse." That caught Eun Na's attention. She looked up at him with eyebrows furrowed, not understanding what the taller male was up to, but he only gave her shoulder a slight squeeze.
    Mr. Baek raised an eyebrow. "And what would it be, may I ask? It better be reasonable enough for her to be late ten minutes in class and for you to recklessly interrupt my lesson." He crossed his arms in front of his chest as soon as he sat down on his chair and looked at Kai, waiting for him to say the 'so-called' excuse.
    Kai gave him another smirk, knowing he finally got the heads up. "She was at the airport with me," he lied, but luckily his serious expression did not give it away and Mr. Baek was not exactly good at reading people's faces. "I came back from New York, and my flight arrived at eleven am. She was there, along with my friends. You can ask the Headmaster, if you want." He explained further, his eyes remained calm as Mr. Baek squinted his eyes a little, as if to scrutinise him. Silence loomed the room for a couple of minutes, with Mr. Baek contemplating whether the younger male was lying or not, yet he found nothing but seriousness on his face.
    "Is this true, Ms. Park?" Mr. Baek questioned, his attention shifted towards Eun Na. The lass looked up in alarm, her heart beating way too fast since she did not know what to say. This was not on her plan. Hell, she never had a plan to begin with. Kai gave her shoulder yet another small squeeze, signalling her to go with the flow.
    "Yes." She responded, mentally patting herself for not stuttering like how she always do whenever she was nervous.
    Kai proudly smiled down at her before returning his gaze back at the old man. “See? Now will you not scold her anymore? I don’t like it.” He bluntly and boldly admitted, not caring that the kettle within Mr. Baek was star

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter