Ch. 29 - My Taeyeon-ah

Second Chance

Chapter 29 – My Taeyeoh-ah

 

 

“We’re married.”

 

 

Those words echoed inside her head.

 

 

She can’t believe it. She’s actually married.

 

 

She doesn’t know what to feel after learning that information. It was a mixed feeling. She felt excitement and at the same time fear plaguing her mind. Excitement because she finally learned something about her past, and fear because she already have someone new in her life that she loves very much and finding out that she’s already married is making her feel guilt towards both girls.

 

 

Having her past and her present conflicting with each other confused her terribly.

 

 

She can’t help but wonder how Jessica will feel when she finds out she’s already married. Should she even tell her?

 

 

“This is us during our wedding.” Yuri said, handing her a picture that she dug inside her wallet.

 

 

Taeyeon held the picture and stared at it. “That’s us…” She murmured to herself as she ran her thumb down the side of the picture. It was a photo of Yuri and her in front of a church holding hands. She asked Yuri why they weren’t wearing a wedding dress. Yuri explained that they didn’t hold a ceremony, just a city hall thing, thus, the lack of wedding dresses.

 

 

When Taeyeon asked why they didn’t have a ceremony, Yuri explained that the both of them wanted to keep their wedding under wraps from the media since they were important figures in South Korea. It would be a huge scandal if the media found out that they were gay.

 

 

The way Yuri nervously explained it made Taeyeon feel like there was more to the story than what Yuri was explaining. However, she decided against pressing Yuri any further.

 

 

“And this is our wedding ring. Well, my wedding ring.” Yuri said smiling as she handed the silver band to Taeyeon to have a look.

Taeyeon held the ring between her fingers and examined it. It was just a plain silver band with no inscription on the inside. Taeyeon found them odd since they were supposed to be rich and so in love, yet they can’t even afford to buy a better ring for themselves. But she didn’t express her thoughts on it.

 

 

Taeyeon handed the ring back to Yuri. Yuri slipped it back on her finger.

 

 

“I really can’t believe it.” Yuri said in amazement as she stared at Taeyeon’s face with fascination.

 

 

Taeyeon just smiled.

 

 

“You’re really her. You’re really my Taeyeon-ah. My wife.” Yuri said as she continued to examine Taeyeon’s face, checking every detail of her face just to be certain that it is indeed her Taeyeon that was holding her and not just some crook who’s out to get her fortune.

 

 

An amuse smile played on Taeyeon’s lips as she watched Yuri carry on with her examination. She doesn’t really remember anything about Yuri, but for some reason she feels a strong affinity towards her even during the first time they met at the cemetery, hence, the reason for her persistence of meeting her.

 

 

She wanted to know what it was that was pulling her so much towards the girl and why she felt such strong feelings towards her. The feelings she felt weren’t at all romantic, just familiarity. There’s a strong tugging in her mind that she knew the girl well. After Yuri’s short explanation of their previous relationship, it now made sense to Taeyeon why she felt that way towards her. They were lovers. Spouses to be exact. It all makes sense now.

 

 

Earlier, when she referred to Yuri as ‘jagiya’, she wasn’t aware that she herself had said that. When she saw Yuri crying, the words of endearment just flowed out of her lips so naturally it didn’t even shock her. It was as if a switch has been and a different Taeyeon that she was a stranger to suddenly took over her body and consoled the crying Yuri.

 

 

“But…how can you be my Taeyeon? This doesn’t make any sense.” Yuri said disrupting her thoughts.

 

 

Taeyeon proceeded to explain. “I know it may seem absurd, but just as I explained earlier, I am now a spirit that has been sent out to complete three missions in order for me to return to my human state.”

 

 

“That still doesn’t make any sense.” Yuri insisted.

 

 

“What don’t you understand?”

 

 

“Well…everything!”

 

 

“Uh. Just as I explained, due to an unfortunate event, I died and I have now become a spirit that was subjected to Earth to complete three missions—”

 

 

“No, no, no.” Yuri said shaking her head. “You’re not making any sense at all. What you’re saying is completely impossible.”

 

 

Taeyeon was puzzled. She already explained her situation to Yuri at least three times and she still doesn’t understand it. She doesn’t know how else to explain it to her. What exactly was so confusing with her situation that Yuri still fails to understand it?

 

 

“Huh? What is impossible?”

 

 

“Well, it’s impossible for you to have died and become a spirit.”

 

 

Taeyeon gave her a puzzled look. “Why is that?”

 

 

Yuri stared intently through her eyes.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah,”

 

 

“You’re not dead.”

 

 

======

 

 

Taeyeon stared at the door in front of her with much trepidation. She has never felt so nervous in her life. She has been scared before, but the fear feels now doesn’t even compare to anything. She doesn’t even know how she got here. One minute Yuri was telling her she wasn’t dead and next she’s standing here in this hospital outside the room that contains her—

 

 

“Are you ready?” Yuri asked, noticing Taeyeon’s shaken form.                   

 

         

Nodding slightly to Yuri, Yuri twisted the doorknob, gently pushing the door open, revealing a darkly lit room. Neon dotted lights from the machines were sprinkled throughout the spacious area, accompanied by the beeping sounds of the machines. The set up of the room created a dark and solemn ambiance, making her feel even more apprehensive than when they were just standing on the other side of the door.

 

 

Yuri gestured for her to enter first.

 

 

Taeyeon gulped and took a step inside. She took careful steps towards the bed.

 

 

As she approached the sleeping figure on the bed, her heart began to race with excitement and at the same time nervousness.

 

 

As she stopped by the bedside, the lights flickered on and a gasp escapes Taeyeon’s lips.

 

 

“Omo.”

 

 

It was her.

 

 

It was really her.

 

 

She stared wide eyed in complete disbelief at her own body lying—sleeping—on the hospital bed.

 

 

Everything was the same, except the body sleeping on the hospital bed had a paler complexion and longer hair. Other than that, the person on the bed was a perfect replica of her.

 

 

It’s as if she was staring at a reflection of herself through a mirror.

 

 

Unbelievable.

 

 

This is my body. It’s me. It’s me.

 

 

She can’t believe what she was seeing.

 

 

All she could do was gape at the body with wide eyes and mouth hanging open.

 

 

For a while all she did was stare at her own unconscious body.

 

 

Suddenly, she felt the urge to touch her face.

 

 

She raised a hand and let her fingers gloss over her sleeping figure’s face. When her index finger accidentally made contact with the cheek, an electric current shot through her finger. It gave her a momentary shock causing her to quickly retract her hand.

 

 

She gently caressed her finger and stared at it with fascination. She can’t explain it, but after making contact with her own real live body, she felt like a wave energy just splashed all over her index finger. That one touch made her finger feel so…so alive.

 

 

“Wow.” She breathe out in awe.

 

 

A sense of urgency to touch her face again wafted though her.

 

 

Again, she lifted her hand and let it hover on top of her face. Anxiously, she moved her shaking fingers across her sleeping figure’s face, tracing every detail, every feature of the face while at the same time touching her own face with her other hand.

 

 

With every touch, she felt an electric current fire through her fingertips, travelling all over her body towards her heart. It made her heart race with excitement and exhilaration.

 

 

This feeling of being alive was amazing. It was a feeling like no other.

 

 

Wow.

 

 

Yuri approached from behind.

 

 

“You okay?” She asked the still stunned Taeyeon.

 

 

“I-It’s me.” Taeyeon managed to choke out from her shaken state.

 

 

Yuri nodded. “Yes, it’s you. It’s you Taeyeon-ah. You’re alive.”

 

 

======

 

 

The two sat silently at a booth of a coffee shop a couple of blocks away from the hospital. Taeyeon just stared blankly at her cup of coffee while Yuri watched her with worried eyes.

 

 

Ever since they departed the hospital, Taeyeon hasn’t said anything at all. Yuri assumed she was still in shock. She could understand why. Who wouldn’t be shock to see their own body in front of them, pulsating and breathing, instead of being buried six feet under? Her mind is probably still in haze, she assumed. She didn’t want to push Taeyeon, but she could tell she had a lot of questions in her mind.

 

 

“Don’t you have any questions for me?” Yuri finally asked after a few more minutes of silence.

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

“Why don’t you ask me? I’ll answer them for you. At least to the best of my ability that is.” Yuri offered.

 

 

Taeyeon looked up from her cup to meet Yuri’s gaze. She was full of questions, but she didn’t know where to start.

 

 

As if Yuri read her mind, she suggested a starting place for their conversation.

 

 

“How about I tell you about the accident first?”

 

 

Taeyeon’s eyes grew wide at the new found information.

 

 

“A-accident?”

 

 

“Yup. A car accident to be precise.” Yuri said with a frown.

 

 

Taeyeon gulped. “O-okay. Tell me about the…car accident.”

 

 

Yuri paused for a moment to collect her thoughts. Then she started her story.

 

 

“It happened over a year ago. We-uh-we…were having some disagreements at that time and…uh…we weren’t on speaking terms for a while. You were…angry at me. I… I wanted to make up with you, so I visited you…at the hotel’s kitchen…where I knew you’d be whenever you were upset.”

 

 

Hearing that piqued Taeyeon’s interest. “Hotel’s kitchen?”

 

 

“Yeah. The Sowon Hotel’s kitchen.”

 

 

Taeyeon’s eyes went wide.

 

 

“Eh? What was I doing there?”

 

 

“Because it’s yours?”

 

 

“What?”

 

 

“You own Sowon Hotel, Taeyeon. You’re the CEO.”

 

 

Taeyeon’s jaw dropped. She can’t believe what she was hearing.

 

 

“What? I-I own Sowon Hotel…? But how? Don’t you own it? That’s what it says on Wikipedia…”

 

 

Yuri shook her head. “No. You own it. I just became the temporary owner after the accident since I’m your wife and all.”

 

 

Taeyeon was in shock. She couldn't say anything because she was still trying to process everything.

 

 

Yuri continued on.

 

 

“Anyway, I went to visit you there because I knew you’d be there. You always experimented your cooking there.”

 

 

“I cook?” Taeyeon asked in amazement.

 

 

Yuri nodded. “You loved to cook. That was your area of expertise and cooking was your passion. You loved it a lot.”

 

 

“Wow.” Was all Taeyeon could say. She didn’t think she would be a cook in her past life—err current life. It  all makes sense now how she could whip up all those dishes for Jessica so well even though she has no recollection of ever being any good at cooking. She wondered what other skills she possessed back in her past life.

 

 

Yuri chuckled at Taeyeon’s bewildered expression, which in turn made Taeyeon’s face turn red from embarrassment.

 

 

“It’s okay. You don’t remember anything so it’s understandable that you feel fascinated by everything you’re discovering right now. I’m sure you’re very curious about your old self. But don’t worry, you’ll learn more about yourself as I go on with the story.”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

“Anyway, where was I?”

 

 

“You visited me at the Sowon kitchen to make up?”

 

 

“Ah, right.” Yuri cleared . “At first, when I tried to pacify you, you kept giving me the cold shoulder. I didn’t give up and kept coaxing you to talk. Eventually my persistence melted the ice and I was able to convince you to go out to dinner with me as my way of apology for inciting the fight. We went to one of our favorite restaurants out here in Seoul that we always visited.

 

 

“We ate, had some drinks, and talked like we always did.” Yuri said with a forlorn smile. “We liked spending our times together like that.” She said glancing at Taeyeon quickly then dropping her gaze back down to her own cup. “It was simple…but romantic. It was…very sweet.” Yuri said with bittersweet smile on her face. At this point, Yuri had long zoned out and was lost in her own little world.

 

 

Taeyeon noticed the faraway look in her eyes and she could tell Yuri was reminiscing about their past. It stabbed Taeyeon in the heart to see her eyes so sad. She wished she could do something about it, but she didn’t know what to do. She’s helpless because she doesn’t remember anything.

 

 

“Must be a pretty awesome restaurant…” Taeyeon commented, trying to ease the awkwardness that has started to creep in.

 

 

Yuri snapped out of her daze and continued.

 

 

“Yeah, it was.” She nodded in agreement. “Anyway, after dinner, I suggested to go to a club to release some steam. You wanted to head home, but once again, I managed to convince you to go out with me to a club and hang out with our friends—well, more like my friends.” When Taeyeon gave her a confused look, Yuri explained further. “You didn’t really have many friends. You liked to be alone rather than immerse yourself with other people’s company.”

 

 

“Was I a hermit or something?” Taeyeon asked, puzzled.

 

 

“Hm, not really. You liked to go out and have fun…but just by yourself. You didn’t like the company of other people. Around them, you’d close up like a mimosa pudica plant, but alone, you were pretty adventurous.”

 

 

“Oh.” Taeyeon wasn’t sure whether she was disappointed or happy to know that she wasn’t really a people’s person. It could be both a good thing and a bad thing.

 

 

“So yeah, I was able to convince you—for the first time—to hang out with other people.”

 

 

Yuri’s expression grew pale then.

 

 

“Forcing you to go out with me to that club that night was probably the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. It really was.” Yuri said gravely. She looked down on her cup and frowned.

 

 

Taeyeon became tense then. She had an inkling of what may have happened afterwards, but she held her tongue and let Yuri finish.

 

 

“While we were at the club, I…was able to get you to drink more than your limit. I know I shouldn’t have forced you all of that alcohol knowing that you couldn’t handle your alcohol well, but in the end I did. I didn’t do it to be a jerk or anything like that,” Yuri quickly explained. “I just…I just wanted to get you out of your comfort zone and just have fun like all of us, you know? I didn’t mean any harm at all, I swear.” She said looking at Taeyeon with sincerity.

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

Yuri’s gaze lowered again. “I…we…we both got inebriated. And I…being in my drunken stupor…I…I decided it was okay to let you drive. I thought…I thought you were fine. I thought you could drive.” She bit her trembling lip and lifted her gaze up to meet Taeyeon’s. “I-I’m sorry.” She choked out, her eyes filled with tears.

 

 

She wiped a stray tear on her cheek.

 

 

“I…I just wanted you to be free from your inhibitions and live life like it should be lived. I wanted you to…to have a break from your hectic life. I hate—I hated that you always holed yourself up in the kitchen by yourself or…or locked yourself up in your office all day long. It broke my heart to see you waste your life away like that. I just…I just wanted you…to have fun with me for once, you know? I didn’t mean to get you into an accident. I…I didn’t mean for you to get you into a coma. It wasn’t my intention at all. I’m sorry, Taeyeon. I’m really sorry!”

 

 

And the floodgates broke. Tear after tear poured down Yuri’s cheek as her bottled up emotions finally erupted from the confines of her heart.

 

 

Taeyeon’s chest clenched at the sight. Swiftly rising from her seat, she walked over to Yuri’s side and pulled the sobbing girl in to her arms. She held her tight to let her know that she understands and that she forgives her.

 

 

She gets it now. She understands why Yuri has been depressed lately and why the Goddess have instructed her to be delicate with her. It’s because she was vulnerable. She blames herself for what happened and that’s what made her like this.

 

 

“I’m really sorry Taeyeon-ah.” Yuri cried on her shoulder like a helpless child.

 

 

Taeyeon her back gently. “Ssh, I know, I know. You only meant well.” She said softly. “Don’t blame yourself anymore okay? It’s not your fault. I don’t blame you so stop blaming yourself. Don’t suffer anymore for my sake. I forgive you, Yuri-ah. I forgive you.”

 

 

Yuri held on tighter.  “Don’t leave me anymore.”

 

 

======

 

 

After her lunch with Yuri, the two exchanged numbers and parted ways.

 

 

Taeyeon sat glumly by herself on a bench in a park near their apartment.

 

 

After checking the apartment to find Jessica still not home, she left and wandered aimlessly towards the park.

 

 

She’s been sitting there for over an hour already. She was contemplating about everything Yuri had told her.

 

 

She can’t believe she’s still alive. It’s good to know she’s not dead yet, but why did the Goddess and the angels hid that from her? It didn’t make any sense.

 

 

She can’t believe that she’s married either.

 

 

How the heck is she going to explain that to Jessica? Jessica will definitely be hurt once she finds out. She doesn’t want to tell her, but she knows she must. It’ll only hurt more if she keeps it from her.

 

 

Taeyeon buried her face in her palms and let out a deep sigh.

 

 

From her right, she felt the bench move.

 

 

“You found out a lot of things today, huh Taeyeon?”

 

 

Taeyeon let out a groan.

 

 

She didn’t have to lift her head to know who it was.

 

 

“What are you doing here Sooyoung? And where’s Sunny?”

 

 

“Just dropped by to see how your third task was doing. And I must say, you’re doing pretty good job. Keep it up. Oh, and Sunny’s off somewhere tending to other missions.”

 

 

Taeyeon finally lifted her head up and leaned her back on the bench.

 

 

“Yah, why didn’t you guys tell me I was still alive?”

 

 

“You never asked.” Sooyoung shrugged nonchalantly.

 

 

Taeyeon groaned again.

 

 

 “Don’t be so glum chum.” Sooyoung said as she placed an arm over Taeyeon’s shoulder and pulled her towards herself.

 

 

Taeyeon frowned. “How can I not? I’m in a huge predicament here Sooyoung/ I’m in love with Jessica but then I suddenly find out that I’m already married to someone? How am I supposed to feel about that? More so, how am I supposed to explain this to Jessica? She’ll be crushed when she finds out about Yuri and I! Plus, Yuri will feel betrayed if she finds out I’ve fallen for someone else. Technically, Jessica and I are committing adultery.” Taeyeon’s face suddenly contorted into fear. “Omo!  Adultery is a crime! I’ve committed a crime Sooyoung! Oh my god! Will I go to jail? I don’t want to go to jail! Don’t take me to jail!” Taeyeon sputtered out in frenzy. She was going nuts.

 

 

Sooyoung noticed and quickly grabbed a hold of Taeyeon’s shoulder and shook her violently to shake her out of her crazy state.

 

 

“Yah, get a hold of yourself woman! You’re making a mountain out of a molehill! Sheesh! Honestly, I don’t see the problem in anything! You have two hot girls pawning over you! This is like every guy’s dream! You’re a lucky fellow Taeyeon! You make all guys—and girls—proud! You should be happy! Stop moping, celebrate!”

 

 

Taeyeon was appalled. She pushed Sooyoung away and glared at her.

 

 

“Yah! I’m not that kind of person! Yuri and Jessica are two nice girls, okay? They don’t deserve to be hurt…especially not by someone as unworthy as me.” Taeyeon said sullenly. Both of them have already been hurt in the past. She doesn’t need to add to their hurt. She really doesn’t want to hurt either girls.

 

 

Especially Jessica.

 

 

She especially doesn’t want to hurt Jessica.

 

 

Sooyoung sighed and patted her on the back.

 

 

“You're not unworthy my friend. Don't think that way." Sooyoung said comfortingly. Taeyeon eased up a little. "And if it makes you feel any better, you probably won’t even return to your body so you don’t even have to worry about hurting any of them.” Sooyoung said bluntly.

 

 

Taeyeon face palmed herself.

 

 

“Sooyoung. You’re a horrible angel...and terrible pep talker.”

 

 

======

 

 

Jessica pushed open the door.

 

 

“Taeyeon-ah? Are you home?”

 

 

Jessica’s eyes landed on Taeyeon’s shoes. A smile formed on her face.

 

 

She closed the door behind her and tossed the keys over the counter.

 

 

Walking through the corridor, she poked her head inside the kitchen to see if Taeyeon was there, but it was empty. She then strolled into the living room only to find it empty as well.

 

 

“Where is that girl?” Jessica murmured to herself.

 

 

“Taeyeon?” She called out across the hall.

 

 

Nobody answered her.

 

 

She opened the door to her bedroom and was relief to find Taeyeon lying under the covers, hugging her pillow tightly.

 

 

She smiled at the endearing sight.

 

 

She made her way to the bed and sat close to Taeyeon. She her girlfriend’s cheek with her palm and parted the fringe in the middle before leaning down and placing a chaste kiss on her forehead.

 

 

Taeyeon stirred at the action. Her eyes slowly opened. She rubbed her eyes and blinked a few times to rid of the tiredness.

 

 

“Sica-ah?” She called out tiredly.

 

 

“Sorry for waking you.” Jessica smiled apologetically.

 

 

Taeyeon shook her head and sat up. “It’s fine.” She said, leaning her back on the headboard.

 

 

Jessica settled herself next to Taeyeon and leaned her head on Taeyeon’s shoulder. She wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s middle while Taeyeon draped an arm behind her waist.

 

 

Taeyeon started off the conversation.

 

 

“How was work today? I got a little worried when I came back and you weren’t home yet. I tried texting and calling you but you didn’t respond. I thought something might have happened to you.” Taeyeon said, expressing her worries. "I was so worried."

 

 

Jessica smiled, touched at Taeyeon’s concern. She hugged Taeyeon tightly and nuzzled her head under Taeyeon’s neck.

 

 

“Sorry. The operation only took four hours. I was going to leave right after, but Heechul begged me to stay because they were lacking some staff. I couldn’t just leave my friend in trouble so I decided to stay behind to help out. I was planning on calling you to let you know, but I guess I got carried away with work. Sorry if I worried you.”

 

 

“It’s okay, love.” Taeyeon said kissing the top of Jessica’s head.

 

 

“How’s your day with Yuri?” Jessica asked next. “Did you find out anything about your past?”

 

 

Taeyeon bit her lip. Yup. She did learn a lot. She’s just not sure how many of it she is willing to share to Jessica.

 

 

“Uh, yes. I did learn a lot.”

 

 

“Oh, like what?”

 

 

“Uh…it turns out that I…am the CEO of Sowon Hotel! Neat isn’t it?”

 

 

Jessica pulled away slightly and looked up at Taeyeon. “Are you serious?”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

“Wow! That’s amazing! That means you’re rich right?”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded again.

 

 

Jessica squealed, obviously excited at the newfound information.

 

 

“Omo. You know what she should do? We should go on vacation and book the best room they have in that hotel. Since you’re the CEO and everything we can stay there for free right?”

 

 

“Uh, I guess so.” Taeyeon replied unsurely. “But I don’t think that’ll be such a wise idea since…uh…you know I’m supposed to be dead and all.” Taeyeon decided not to tell Jessica that she was still alive. She’s not certain yet that the Goddess will let her live so she doesn’t want to get Jessica’s hopes up. Also, she doesn’t want Jessica and Yuri to meet…at least not yet.

 

 

“That’s true. I guess a dead person can’t go walking around freely like that. It’d be bad if someone recognized you.”

 

 

Taeyeon sighed with relief.

 

 

Jessica leaned back down on Taeyeon’s shoulder.

 

 

“What else did you learn about yourself?”

 

 

“I also learned that I was a chef.”

 

 

Jessica gasped. She pulled away again and stared at Taeyeon with sparkling eyes.

 

 

“No way! Are you really?”

 

 

Taeyeon nodded.

 

 

“Wow. No wonder you can cook so well! It all makes sense now!” Jessica said excitedly. “This is so awesome!” She squealed.

 

 

Taeyeon smiled. She was amused to see Jessica so excited. Jessica looks more excited than she was when Yuri told her about everything. 

 

 

She’s also glad that Jessica’s hasn’t asked her about her relationship with Yuri yet. She’s not ready to explain anything. Hopefully, she’ll never ask.

 

 

“Now that I know you’re a chef…I think I’m going to start treating you like one.” Jessica said with a mischievous smile.

 

 

“Eh?” Taeyeon became nervous. She didn’t like the sound of that.

 

 

“Starting tonight you’re going to prepare me something awesome and delicious! I’m going to pick something out from the cook book and you’ll cook it for me!”

 

 

“What?!”

 

 

“Hush! No complaining!”

 

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Have I just become your servant?”

 

 

“Nope. Just my personal chef.” Jessica said with a grin.

 

 

Taeyeon couldn’t help but laugh.

 

 

“Fine. I’ll do it. Only because it’s for you.” Taeyeon acquiesced.

 

 

Jessica pecked Taeyeon on the lips and smiled widely. “Thanks jagiya!”

 

 

At that moment, Taeyeon felt a pinch in her heart.

 

 

Taeyeon smiled uneasily.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hello everyone! Long time no see! I know it's been a while and I truly apologize for disappearing. I was on the dumps lately and I had writer's block. >.< I'm not sure if I'm officially back yet, but we'll see. I hope you guys still remember what happened throughout this story. Anyway, let me know what you think of this chapter.

 

Thanks for commenting and subscribing! I truly appreciate it! 'Til next time! =]