Sleepless Night

In the Club


Dara opened her eyes and blinked.
The room was pitch black.
She stretched out her arm across the other side of the bed only to find it's empty.

'He really didn't come.' She thought.


==FLASHBACKk==
Hours ago...


"Mmmmm... perfect!" Dara smiled after tasting the stew she was cooking.

She checked the time and it showed 6:30PM.

She was almost done preparing dinner for her and Youngbae's second year anniversary.


'RING... RING...'


She rushed to answer the cordless phone lying on the kitchen counter.

"Yoboseyo?"

“Baby?”

"Youngbae-ah?"

"Yeah, it's me." He replied.

"Where are you?" She asked. "Dinner will be ready soon. Are you on your way?"

The excitement in her voice was too obvious.

"Baby, I won't be able to make it tonight, I still need to get some work done here in the office."

Silence.

"Baby? Dara-ah? Yoboseyo?"

"Ne. It's okay, Youngbae-ah." She answered quietly.

She was actually looking forward to spending some time with him that night since they hardly see each other lately.

"I'm really sorry baby. I will make it up to you, I promise."

"Ne,"

"Happy anniversary baby," He greeted her.
"I love you very much."

"I love you too and happy anniversary, Youngbae-ah." She hung up and walks back to the stove where the pot of stew was sitting.

She was too upset to eat.

Without hesitation, she carelessly put the pot into the sink then ran to her room and cried herself to sleep.

==END OF FLASHBACK==


Dara turned to check the digital clock on her bedside table. It blinked 3:45AM.
She sat up and her night lamp to check her cellphone for any messages.

It showed one received message.

"Hey baby, I'm really sorry that I wasn't there tonight for dinner. I'll call you tomorrow, sleep well. Happy anniversary and I love you, baby." - Youngbae.

She smirked. "Yeah right."

She turned off the lamp and lay down.
She wanted to go back to sleep but she couldn't.
Thoughts keep running through her head.
She stared up the ceiling in deep thoughts.

It's been a month since Youngbae kept telling her he's busy at work.
She was starting to wonder.

After they graduated from college a year ago, Youngbae took over their family business.
His family owns one of the top 5 star hotels in Seoul, the Dong Plaza Hotel.

Dara, on the other hand, manages their family business along with his younger brother, Cheondung.
Her family owns one of the finest restaurants in Seoul, the PARKSan Restaurant.
Her father, Park Yong Sun, is a very well-known restaurateur.

They became busy after college, but Youngbae would always make time for her.
No matter how hectic his schedule was, he will make it a point to see her.
He would eat meals with her or if he can't see her during the day, he'll sleep over at her place.

Sleeping at Dara's apartment has become a common thing for them when they were in college.
Even if they sleep together in the same bed, there was no malice.

Unlike other girls, Youngbae never touched her and he respected her a lot.
Their friends would always say that he treats Dara like a princess.

Recently, they rarely see each other anymore.
Dara knows him too well to suspect that something was going on.

She's been hearing a lot lately from people who are close to her.
They said they saw him hanging out at clubs and bars on late nights.

"Very typical of Youngbae." She would often say.

But the rumors didn't stop.
There were witnesses saying that they saw him with another woman.

Because of this, Dara started to worry.
She cried alone for days.

When she couldn't handle it, she seeks comfort from her friends, Chaerin, Jiyong, Bom, and Minji.
Often times her friends would offer to help her by talking to Youngbae, but Dara refused.

Youngbae had no idea on what she was going through.
Whenever they’re together she never asked about the rumors.

All Dara could ask him is what he feels about her.


==FLASHBACK==
Two weeks ago...

Dara and Youngbae were on their way to watch a movie.
The ride was very quiet.

Dara felt awkward after not seeing him for days.
She was having mixed emotions.
She was happy because she's with him, but at the same time she's bothered because of the rumors she heard about him.
She didn’t want to ruin the moment by asking him about it.

"So what are we going watch tonight?" Youngbae suddenly spoke.

"I don't know." She answered. "Whatever you like."

Without looking at her, he took her hand and placed it on top of the gear shifter.
Wrapping his hand on top of hers, he shifted gears.

This made her giggle and that made him happy.

"You look so down these days." Youngbae said, sounding concern.

"What's up?" He asked glancing at her.

"Nothing. I’m just tired, I guess."

There was a long silence.

Unable to stand the atmosphere, Dara turned to him.

"Youngbae-ah, do you ever get tired of me?" She straightly asked.

Shocked at her question, Youngbae's eyes widened.
He slowly turned his head towards her.

She was giving him a serious look.

He turned the steering wheel and the car went to the side of the road.
As soon as they stopped, he looks at her with a confused expression on his face.

"What was that all about?"

Dara shrugged her shoulders.
"Nothing, I was just wondering if you ever felt like you've fallen out of love with me."

His jaw dropped and then he chuckled.

"Is it because we don't get to spend much time together nowadays that you're thinking like this?" He asked her.

He noticed that she was having a hard time looking back at him.

 

She gave out nervous laugh. “Ani. It’s just that..."

But before she could finish her sentence, Youngbae pulled her into his arms.

"I will never stop loving you." He said softly.

"That will never happen." He added as he slowly released her, then he gave her a passionate kiss on the lips.


At that time, Dara decided not to confront him about the rumors.
Not because he was sweet to her, but because she was afraid to know the truth.

The possibility of her believing the rumors was high.
She knew him too well.

==END OF FLASHBACK==


Youngbae and Dara became the best of friends when they met in college.
After three years, they became a couple.
Both of them never expected it, but people close to them already saw it coming.

Back then, Youngbae already had the reputation of being a playboy.
Known as the only successor of Dong Corporation, no doubt that girls would be swarming around him.
He's got the look, brain, money, and fame.

Dara was also a campus figure.
With beauty and brains, not to mention, a reputable family background.
Guys are always hitting on her.
As demure as she is, she just completely ignored them.
She was more into hanging out with her close friends and having clean fun.


==FLASHBACK==
Five Years ago…

At the campus ground, Youngbae was breaking up with his clingy girlfriend when he noticed a girl walking by.

Dara was oblivious of what was happening around her when she suddenly felt someone grabbing her arm and that someone was putting his arm around her shoulders.

She froze and was unable to react.

'What just happened?' She thought with a puzzled expression on her face.

Slowly, Dara realized she was facing an angry girl and right beside her was a guy she barely knows.

"…and by the way Eunbi," Youngbae said to his soon to be ex-girlfriend. "I already have a new girlfriend."

He smiled pointing at Dara, who's still not saying anything because of shock.

Dara couldn't believe that a random guy just grabbed her, wrapped his arm around her, and now she's being introduced as his new girlfriend.

Eunbi scowled at the two of them.

"I HATE YOU DONG YOUNGBAE!!!!" Eunbi screamed and walked away.

Seeing her disappearing from their sight, Youngbae snickered.

Minutes later, Dara recovered.
She quickly released herself from him and she pushed him.

"Yah! What do you think you're doing?!" She angrily yelled at him.

He chuckled.

"Oh, mianhe." He apologized and dipped his head.

"Don't worry about her." He said motioning his head to where Eunbi went. "She just needed some closure." He explained, winking at her.

Dara was speechless.

"Thanks anyway." Youngbae said giving her a sweet smile.

He waved at her as he ran towards the university entrance.

Her jaw dropped as she shook her head in disbelief. "Did he just used me?!"


After the first encounter, Youngbae would always greet Dara whenever he sees her in campus.

"Hi there, gorgeous!" Dara heard someone said.

She looked up from her food and saw Youngbae with his friends, Kang Daesung and Lee Seungri passing by.
She nods and smiled awkwardly at him.

He winked at her and headed towards the cafeteria exit with his friends.

Dara suddenly heard more than one throat clearing.
She looked around the table and saw her friends staring at her.

She gave them the "WHAT?" look.

"What was that all about?" Bom asked curiously.

"Is there something that you're not telling us, Park Dara?" Chaerin asked raising her eyebrow.

 

Dara felt her face burning.

She wrinkled her forehead and took a bite of her sandwich.

"Dara unnie!" Chaerin called out to her, waiting for an answer.

"Ani, it's nothing. He just said hi." She simply explained.

"Unnie, you do know Dong Youngbae's reputation, right?" Chaerin reminded, looking straight at her while tapping her nails on the table.

"Yah! It was just a simple greeting, there's nothing else." She assured her friends.

==END OF FLASHBACK==


Despite the warnings and reminders of Dara's friends about Youngbae, they weren't able to stop the two from becoming friends.
Dara never thought of Youngbae as a boyfriend and Youngbae never thought of her as a girlfriend.
It made it easier for them to become close.
They know many things about each other, their similarities and differences.

Youngbae trusted Dara with all his secret rendezvous with different girls.
He opens up to her about what he thinks of the girls he has dated.
Sometimes he even asked Dara to help him get out of his crazy flings - by pretending to be his girlfriend.

At first, it annoyed Dara. She hated it and she doesn't feel comfortable about it.
But after awhile, she got used to the game and played along.
She enjoyed seeing the girls envious and jealous of her for being Dong Youngbae's girlfriend.
Youngbae also liked it because he can easily get out of his mess.

What he loves about being friends with Dara was that, she just listens and she doesn't try to make him change who he was.
Plus the fact that she's the only girl in their campus who doesn't go gaga over him.

Dara never really approved of his playboy image. She scolds him every once in awhile.
But she knows that the moment Youngbae finds the right person for him, he'll definitely stop his foolish acts.

What made her accept Youngbae's friendship despite his playboy image is that, he respects her.
Though he likes messing around and teasing her, once she tells him to stop, he stops.

Years passed by and people around them started getting confused of their relationship.
To the point where they are not only being talked about in their campus, but also by the media.

Since they are known to be the son and daughter of famous people in the business world, reporters are trying to get the real score.

While Dara took it lightly, Youngbae was very affected about the whole situation.
He was worried that friends of his and hers will misunderstand their closeness, which can lead to awkwardness between the two of them.

Afraid of losing their friendship, he made a move.

Thinking he was ready for a serious relationship in their third year of college, he dated a new student named Angela Lee.
They dated longer than what people expected.

Others, most especially, Dara, started believing that Youngbae finally found the right girl for him.
Though she was happy for her best friend, she can't help but feel confuse because of his sudden change.

Less time were spent with her, to which she completely understands.
She's used to him dating other girls but with Angela, she felt different.

When Dara first met her, she finally understood why Youngbae likes her and why he still keeps her unlike the others.

Angela is from a well off family too. She's beautiful and graceful.
She can be conservative and y at the same time.
She takes good care of Youngbae and Dara can see that she loves him very much.

She couldn't help but like her too, but at the same time, she envies her.

While some are celebrating Youngbae's newly found romance.
Friends of Dara thought that it's about time for her to date someone too.


=FLASHBACK=
Three Years ago...

Dara and Youngbae, together with their friends and Angela, were at a newly opened bar having fun.
Minji, Bom, Daesung, and Seungri were playing hand games and who ever loses gets to drink a shot of tequila.

While watching, Dara noticed Chaerin, who was sitting beside her, whispering something to Jiyong while looking at her. They both laughed making her wonder.

She raised her eyebrow and mouthed "What?”

Chaerin giggled and Jiyong just smiled at her.

She rolled her eyes and her gaze landed on Youngbae and Angela who were sitting across from her.

Youngbae has his arm wrapped around Angela’s shoulders.
They were busy talking and laughing not knowing that she was staring at them.

She sighed.

Somehow she felt sick just by looking at them.

She finished up her beer and ordered another one.

"Hey, that's your fourth bottle." Youngbae reminded her with concern.

"Whoa! Trying to break a new record, Dara-ah nuna?" Seungri asked.

Dara snickered.

"Don't worry about me, Youngbae-ah. I'm not yet drunk." She said faking a smile.

Youngbae reached for her bottle.

He took a sip and didn't give it back.

"The last time you said that, I had to carry you back to your place." He said with a chuckle.

Everyone laughed except for Dara.
She pouted her lips and stuck her tongue out at Youngbae.

"Aigoo, you don't know Dara unnie. She can actually drink eight bottles of beer." Minji suddenly said.

Youngbae turned to her.

"Really? And when was that?" He asked curiously.

As far as he knows, Dara couldn't drink more than four bottles because when she gets drunk, she's hard to control.

"It was during high school," Minji said laughing. "I remembered how angry her parents were when we brought her home."

"It was our first time drinking and she got carried away." Bom added while laughing and pointing at Dara.

"She almost stripped tease. She didn't even know what she was doing."

"Let's see her do that now, give her some more beer." Daesung joked.

They all started laughing except for Youngbae.

He hit Daesung's head.

"ert!" He scolded.

Daesung frowned and rubbed his head.

"I was just kidding." He said pouting.

Everyone kept laughing.

"Dara unnie, your face is all red." Minji said giggling.

"Look who's talking, yours too." She replied.

Minji stood up. "Wanna go freshen up unnie?"

She nodded and got up from her seat.

Standing up, Dara suddenly felt dizzy.
Her legs were unsteady so she held on to the nearest chair for support.

Minji quickly went to her and helped her walk.

"Dara are you okay?" Youngbae called when he saw her being supported by Minji.

He quickly rose up from his chair and headed to her.

Angela was left sitting, watching her boyfriend rushed towards his best friend's side.


Youngbae held Dara's arm to support her while Minji did the same.

Feeling his closeness at that time made Dara feel a bit weird.

She quickly shooed his hands and gestured that she's fine.

He was surprise at her action.

Jiyong and Chaerin who happened to be watching them, looked at each other confused.

Youngbae returned to his seat but kept his eyes on Dara.


Inside the ladies room, Dara splashed some water on her face and stared at herself in the mirror.

'What's happening to me?' She thought.

She put her hand on her chest and felt her heart pounding fast.
She recalled when Youngbae went next to her and held her arm to support her.

It's not the first time they were that physically close.
They sometimes share a bed.
Many times they held hands and hug each other.
He even carries her or gives her piggy back rides.

But she was wondering why she is feeling different right now.

Minji came out of the cubicle.

"Ready to go back?" She asked her.

Dara nodded.

She's feeling a bit better now, a little unsteady but she can manage to walk without her friend supporting her.

While walking back, she suddenly bumped into someone.

"Oops!" She heard the person said.

She looked at him and was surprised.

Stood in front of her was a handsome guy.

He bowed. "Choesonghamnida."

She didn’t say anything. Instead, she just stared at him.

When he gave her a warm smile she instantly blushed on the spot.

She bowed and quickly went back to her seat


"Are you okay now, Dara?" Youngbae asked her.

"Ne, I'm fine."

"Told you not to drink anymore." He said.

His eyes widened when he saw her glaring at him.

"Geez, are you moody tonight." He blurted.

She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Excuse me, miss," A waiter came to her side.

She looked up and so did everyone else.

"My boss wants to give you this."

The waiter put a glass of margarita in front of her, and then he motioned his hand to the other table where the guy, who she had bumped into, was sitting.

He waved his hand and smiled at her.

Dara felt shy but she managed to smile back and bow as a sign of thanks.

"Looks like Dara nuna gained an admirer." Seungri teased.

"I smell romance in the air." Minji said dreamily.

The others kept teasing Dara except for Youngbae who was sneaking glances at the guy.
He saw him stood up from his chair and headed towards their table.

Dara heard Jiyong and Chaerin snickering beside her.

"Yah! What's wrong with you two?" She asked irritably.

All of a sudden, she felt a presence of someone standing behind her.

"Seunghyun-ah!" Jiyong called as he stood up and went behind her.

Dara turned around and saw him giving the guy a brotherly hug.

She was puzzled.

"Guys and girls, let me introduced to you my best friend, Seunghyun." Jiyong announced with a big smile.

"His family happens to own this bar." He added.

Everybody gave their greetings and introduction.

"Seunghyun-sshi, why don't you join us?" Bom invited, smiling sweetly at him.

"Is it okay?" He asked politely looking at Bom then to Dara.

Dara was about to answer.

"Of course it's okay!" Chaerin replied happily, moving to the other chair so that he can seat next to Dara.

She gave her boyfriend a thumb up sign that nobody noticed except Youngbae who is carefully absorbing the scene.

Seunghyun sat down and turned to Dara.

"I wasn't able to properly introduce myself earlier." He said offering a handshake.

"Choi Seunghyun-imnida."

She smiled shyly and shook his hand. "Park Dara-imnida."


While the others went back to what they were doing, Youngbae couldn't keep his eyes off Dara and Seunghyun.

They were talking and laughing in front of him which is making him feel uncomfortable.


"Are you okay, oppa?" Angela asked when she noticed her boyfriend's serious look.

When Youngbae heard her, he turned to her gently pinched her cheek.

"Yes Angela." He smiled.

She wrapped herself in his arm and giggled.

"Don't they look good together?" She said.

He glanced at Seunghyun and Dara's direction.
Finishing up Dara's beer, he didn't reply to her girlfriend’s question.

Instead, he just counted every smile and laugh Dara makes every time Seunghyun talks.

'Why does it bother me seeing Dara being friendly with this guy?' He thought.


It took awhile for Youngbae and Dara to admit what they were feeling for each other.
When they finally did, the hardest part for them was confessing to their partners.

Even if Youngbae is an expert in breaking a girl's heart, Angela was someone he had a hard time dealing with.
Unlike other girls, for him, Angela was innocent and kind.
Because of that, it burdens him to break her heart.

Same with Dara, it was hard for her because in a short span of time she grew to like everything about Seunghyun.
The only thing that's stopping her from fully accepting Seunghyun was the love she has for Youngbae.
It broke her heart letting go of the person she cared about.
But in her heart she knows that Youngbae is the only one for her.

=END OF FLASHBACK=


Yesterday was their second year as a couple and Dara spent that time alone.
She couldn't help but doubt.

'Is he really back to his old ways again?' She wondered.

Thinking about the possibilities scared her.
She couldn't help it but tears started forming in her eyes.

"Youngbae-ah, what am I suppose to do now?" She whispered as she closed her eyes.