Chapter Four || Kiss Today Goodbye

Forbidden Fruit.

 

Ji Min sat down at the back entrance of the SM Entertainment building. The concrete stairs were dirty and they were cold but she was just too exhausted to care.

 

She checked her phone once more. It was already 4:17 pm. “He’s late.” She whispered to no one in particular. “Just for five minutes.” Ji Min laid her head on her arms and closed her eyes.

 

Working for F(X) really was draining all her energy and patience out of her. She disliked immensely how SM worked their managers, staff and artists. 

 

Ji Min had travelled around the world quite a bit, working with world-renowned models and their managers, and she had never been paid so little and worked so hard at the same time.

 

She often went home either by herself or with her team with an aching head and aching hand from thinking and sketching too much.

 

Adding on to her workload, her short blow up with Kai didn’t help things; she found herself quite often staring into nowhere and daydreaming about where they would be if they hadn’t fought.

 

The wind blew against her small frame and she shivered slightly. 

 

Suddenly, just as she was about to fall asleep, her body rocked to the side and she jerked awake, ready to shield herself from a painful fall.

 

Her palm landed on the concrete with a loud, stinging slap and she quickly retreated her red hand. “Ow.” Ji Min softly blew on her hand and inspected the shallow but large graze.

 

After another time check, she finally decided that she had waited too long. She was cold, hungry, tired and now hurt, and she didn’t want to wait anymore.

 

Slap slap slap

 

Her head shot up at the sound, and though neither person had said anything, she automatically stood up. 

 

Kai slowed down to a stop in front of her. Though it was chilly, beads of sweat rolled down the sides of his head.

 

Ji Min’s heart ached when she saw his tired but happy form. 

 

She was still hung over about the Krystal situation, and a choking bout of anger almost overtook her when she remembered what happened.

 

Isn’t he going to apologise for being late? She asked herself.

 

But then her eyes widened. She realised what she had just thought and she felt so incredibly guilty. Why was Kai always the one to apologise in their relationship?

 

Though the situation was indeed caused by him, Ji Min’s words that day were not roused by her sense of moral, but instead by anger and frustration over the fact that she was now working for F(X).

 

So… the fight was partially her fault.

 

Her eyes darted to the side in a mix of shame and anger, and her pale lips pressed into a thin line. 

 

But suddenly, all the coldness she had experienced washed away when she was roughly snatched and warm lips pressed against hers.

 

Against her will, her hands went up Kai’s back, and she pressed him closer to her. His right arm wound around her waist and the other knotted itself in her hair.

 

He pulled himself away slowly. He was breathing hard. “Your lips are so cold.” His eyes never left . 

 

“I’m sorry.” Though she was ashamed, Ji Min stayed frozen, just staring at Kai and his beautiful features. 

 

Her heart ached when she saw his jaw clench. “What you said…” he whispered, and she closed her eyes. “About… Soo Jung, really hurt.” Ji Min opened her eyes to see him staring her down with his anguish filled orbs.

 

“And it’s not true.” 

 

Suddenly, salty wet droplets of tears dripped down her face. Kai’s eyes and mouth opened in shock and panic and he hurriedly wiped her face with his cold hands. 

 

“Why… why are you crying?” the speed of her tears and the fact that he rarely saw them made his heart rate accelerate. "Your palm." he flipped her hand and kissed it. But that wasn't the reason.

 

Ji Min rarely cried. She only let drops fall when she was in pain and even then her tears only lasted for a few minutes.

 

She managed to blubber out something that faintly resembled an apology and Kai just had to laugh. "Silly." His chest heaved up and down and Ji Min raised her head to glare at him.

 

“You.” she hiccuped. The flow of tears had not ceased. “I’m crying like this, and you laugh at me?”

 

She knew she was being childish, but there was no other way she knew how to vent all her feelings.

 

Kai pressed his lips against hers once more. “I love you more than anything.”

 

This was something Ji Min adored about Kai. He was not afraid of commitment or promises. Most boys took forever to admit that they hovered between ‘I like you’ and ‘I love you’, and Ji Min, with her hectic lifestyle, detested hesitancy more than anything.

 

But Kai was always quick to answer, and his answers always made her weak in the knees.

 

All she could do was kiss him again. Her hands grabbed his collar, pulling him down to her height and she mashed their lips together.

 

Kai’s arms were around her back and waist, and he kissed her back with so much fervour that her top began lifting up.

 

“Ahem.”

 

Kai’s eyes opened but he didn’t stop kissing Ji Min. He knew who it was, and he knew that it meant their time was over.

 

“Oppa!” Chanyeol held out his arms as Ji Min bounded into them and squeezed him tightly. “You’re really strong for someone so skinny.” he winced as he massaged his waist.

 

Ji Min cheekily smiled at him before stepping back to Kai’s side. She hated standing next to Chanyeol simply for one reason; he was far too tall.

 

He stood at the gigantic height of 185 centimetres and she was barely 165. 

 

Yes, that was quite short for a model, but Ji Min was often told that she would continue growing because her mother and father were both quite tall.

 

In other words, she was still a child.

 

Oh, how much she hated the word ‘child’. Ji Min refused to give people her age just because once they realised she was simply a high schooler their standards lowered; they didn’t expect her to go anywhere near the standards for an adult.

 

But Ji Min always strived to overshoot their standards, just so she could gloat later on that no, teenagers should never be underestimated.

 

“Flight?” she caught the word as she watched the small exchange between Chanyeol and Kai.

 

Chanyeol threw her a look of pity before kissing her cheek and running off, leaving a very silent Kai.

 

She began to fume again. “Care to explain?” her tone was careful but that was only because she was trying so hard to control it.

 

“SM Town three is starting again and...”

 

“But why do you have to leave so early? F(X) isn’t leaving until tomorrow.”

 

Kai gaped at her. “How do you...”

 

Ji Min sighed and fixed his collar before placing her hands on his chest. “You forget...” her forehead landed on his collar bone with a thud. “That I work with SM now.”

 

“O-oh.” this wasn’t going the way he had thought it would.

 

Her temper lowered the same speed it flared. A small smile came on her face, though Kai could see that her eyes were laced with longing and sadness.

 

“It’ll only be a few weeks right?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Well,” she gave him a kiss. “I’ll see you then. Goodbye Jong In.”

 

Taking her bag and straightening her clothes, she walked off.

 

Kai stood in the same place she left him. 

 

Why did it feel as if they had broken up? Something in his heart told him that the situation was wrong.

 

It was the moments in the movies where the two leads separated physically forever but their hearts were always one.

 

“Separated forever.” his tired eyes opened wider.

 

No. Ji Min had kissed him, and it would all be fine, he told himself.

 

As soon as he turned to leave for the van that the others were in, his head turned back to see Ji Min’s beautiful silhouette walking away.

 

It’s not going to be fine. She said good bye. She called you Kim Jong In. Ji Min doesn’t call you by your name...”

 

Biting back a frustrated groan, he jogged towards their van before making a sharp hairpin turn and breaking into a full on sprint back to Ji Min.

 

“Damn.” she walked real fast. He was beginning to lose sight of her with all the heads on the road, and that was a bad sign. If he caught up with her while some fans were watching, that would be the end.

 

“Kai?” his head whipped around as he found her sitting wide eyed at a bus stop, around five meters behind him.

 

Kai looked at the man sitting next to her. He was in his forties, and was obviously too busy making some business deal to bother about to lovesick teens.

 

He said nothing and dragged her behind a food stand in an alley.

 

“What are you...”

 

“Just shush.”

 

“But Kai, I have a bus and more importantly, you have a plane to catch!” Ji Min’s eyes were wide with fright and nervousness.

 

Kai’s hands fell down to his side. Ji Min pressed herself closer against the wall, and leaned on her back.

“What’s wrong?” her warm hand caressed his cheek.

 

He leaned his face into her hand and turned his head, kissing her palm. Ji Min felt a warm smile grow on her face, but it quickly dropped off when she spied his expression.

 

Kai couldn’t speak properly. “We’re not...”

 

She didn’t understand. “We’re not what?”

 

“Baby, we’re not breaking up are we?”

 

Ji Min’s body jolted as if she had been electrocuted. “What?” she stuttered.

 

Kai put his hands on her hips and connected their lower bodies. At first he was scared that she would say yes, but then, he decided that if she did, he wasn’t going to let go.

 

He wanted an answer. “Are we?” he demanded. He lightly shook her waist.

 

It took her a moment to get over her shock. “I- I... no, I mean...” her voice lowered to a whisper. “Do you want to?”

 

Though she braced herself for a heartbreaking answer, she knew that he wouldn’t.

 

They needed each other.

 

Kai shook his head, and Ji Min bit her lip to stop herself from smiling. “You big insecure baby.” heat passed through his eyes and he grinned before laughing loudly.

 

To lighten the mood at the second goodbye, Ji Min looked at her watch. “It’s almost six.”

 

“Big baby is going to miss his flight.” he reluctantly obliged to her pushes and stepped into the light of the afternoon once more.

 

He turned to look at her.

 

She was absolutely stunning. The sun shone off her hair so brightly that it almost blinded him. She was so slender and elegant that Kai was scared that if he touched her, she would melt.

 

“Don’t miss me too much.”

 

He winked and ran off. After a few seconds, he heard her tinkling laughter and he beamed widely.

 

Ji Min fanned herself. Though she was his girlfriend, her fan girl side often took a hold of her. She held her hot face in her hands and squealed to herself, before composing herself.

 

Then she realised how much of a freak she looked like, spazzing alone in an alleyway.

 

“He’s getting used to the fan service.”

 

-

 

This chapter... didn't flow too well.

I could make it heaps better, but in all honesty, I've got five exams in three days tomorrow and though I'm incredibly unsatisfied with the detail in this... I would rather not fail English... :P