Chapter Two || Krystal.

Forbidden Fruit.

 

* it has not been proof-read so please ignore mistakes as best as possible :)

[Kim Jong In you better have a good goddamn reason as to why you were in hospital after the EXO showcase.]

Kai frowned and quickly tapped back a quick message.

[It’s nothing, my ankle and back were a bit sore, besides that was a week ago and i’m better now. Just finished the Inkigayo recording. See you soon.]

[You are in deep .]

He sighed. Ji Min knew about his ankle injury and upon her discovery of it, she hasn’t let it rest that he needed to find some help.

Kai did have help; the SM crew were very nice about his injury, always letting him take rests in-between shots for their music videos and teasers, but it was true that dancing so much on his ankle was not a good thing.

He glanced over to Se Hun, who was sitting next to him in the van, staring in front of him. He quickly typed one more message to his girlfriend in a final attempt to pacify her before she went all ape on his .

{Don’t be mad baby, I’ll see you in a few]

He had just enough time to press ‘send’ before the van came to a stop and the doors slid open.

“What are you going to tell her?” Se Hun got out after Kai and looked him in the eyes.

Kai sighed again. “Why do you care?”

Se Hun gave him a queer look. “I don’t.”

He walked away, carrying his bag with him and quickly catching up with Chanyeol and Joon Myun*.

Jong In stared after the group’s maknae. Se Hun was a difficult character; he was the tall, dark, serious and handsome member of EXO and often his personality mirrored that style, but there were times where the other five members of EXO K wondered whether they knew the maknae as well as they thought.

Out of his peripheral vision, he saw two fluid, hooded figures walk - with a type of elegance that was only known to models - into the side door of the SM building.

As the second person held open the door, she looked up and at the direction where EXO was, locking eyes with Jong In for a split second and then moving on to nod and bow a little to the other five members.

He had only caught the look in her eyes for a moment, but he knew he was in for it after seeing the fire in the black orbs.

A small breath left his chest, and he walked towards the door, but not before catching the stares of his five friends and members.

Joon Myun waited for Kai to catch up before looping an arm around the taller boy’s shoulders. “She’s right you know.”

A small smile lingered near Kai’s lips. Ever since Joon Myun had been introduced to Ji Min, he took her side in almost everything. He absolutely adored her; buying her cute bags and expensive things even though Ji Min always said to Jong In that Joon Myun had terrible taste.

Ji Min always accepted the gifts anyway; the first few times she had refused, he had mailed them to her inside a big box stamped with the words ‘Not Returnable’. It didn’t help that after Jong In, ‘Suho oppa’ - as she would call him - was her idol.

But this time, Jong In had to give in. “Yeah I know.” He knew that his injury was getting a little out of hand, especially considering that they had debuted, and would be promoting a lot after.

Five figures suddenly walked past them, chatting and giggling loudly. F(X)’s leader Victoria sunbae winked at the two and they bowed while walking, smiling after them.

Kai was about to look down again when Joon Myun elbowed him and harshly whispered, “I think you better go in before things get messy.” Kai’s head immediately snapped up and he inwardly groaned when he saw Krystal slow down to walk beside him.

“You’re on your own kkamjong**.” Joon Myun gave him a wink before speed walking over to Luna-sunbae and igniting a conversation with her.

“Jong In oppa.” Krystal’s soft voice greeted him, and he plastered on a smile when she looked at him.

There was a reason Kai and the other members tried to avoid Krystal like the plague; before they had debuted, she and Kyung Soo*** had dated for a few months and then she broke it off after the F(X) schedules were getting too much.

Kyung Soo was over her now, but back then when they were still trainees and sometimes lost motivation to keep on going, he was devastated; a complete and total wreck for the next few days.

“Soojung-ah.” She was nice and was extremely pretty, but she was used to being the maknae of SM and having everyone coo over her, especially since she was Jessica’s sister.

That and the fact that she was interested in Kai now.

She knew something of Kai and Ji Min’s relationship, but had never really caught them together. The only hint was when Ji Min turned up at the photoshoot, and Krystal looked from one to the other for ages, trying to decipher if Ji Min’s appearance was the true reason behind Kai’s wide smile.

“How was your Inkigayo debut?” The question brought a smile to Kai’s face.

The feeling of debuting was absolutely surreal. “It was awesome.” She looked at him with a pointed glance as if to say, ‘keep going’. And so he did, “We were a little nervous and lip-synched the songs but apart from that it was really, really good.”

Kai got a little too caught up with his explanation because the next thing he knew, Krystal had caught his wrist in her hand, and swung it like they were really together.

He was so shocked that when they kept walking into the building, he just stared at her, unable to comprehend what was going on.

It was only when he heard Chanyeol’s sudden exclamation did he look to the front, right into the eyes of his hyungs and Se Hun, and into the eyes of the two hooded ladies who had walked in before them; one of them being his girlfriend.

He wrenched his arm away from Krystal’s light grip and ignored it when the younger girl flinched then recovered, running to her unnies’ with a smile on her face, evidently happy that she got to hold Jong In oppa’s hand.

Ji Min wasn’t wearing the hood of her coat anymore, and her wide eyes filled with surprise were there for all to see.

The girl behind her had also dropped her hood and only then did Kai realise that it was one of their stylists, Hana. Hana was looking from Ji Min to Kai then to the other members, thoroughly muddled as to what was going on.

Joon Myun, being the responsible leader, quickly put a hand on his precious Ji Min’s back and pushed her towards Hana, urging them to get on with whatever they were doing.

Kai was perplexed. When he said he would see her, he was expecting to go over to her house and visit, not to have her come over with someone who knew nothing about their relationship.

His hands began to sweat as his mind started to fill with pessimistic thoughts on what could’ve happened for his girlfriend to be summoned over to SM without his knowledge.

“Come on Kai.” Baekyun called the younger male and Kai quickly ran into the elevator, waiting for the doors to close.

The ride was silent as everyone digested the scene that had just played.

“What were you doing?” Chanyeol turned to fix an icy glare on Kai’s face. He sighed for the umpteenth time today and ran a hand through his slightly damp-with-sweat hair.

Another person who took to Ji Min like a duck does with water was Chanyeol. Ji Min was a cheeky girl with a wicked sense of humour, Chanyeol was one of the pranksters of EXO and often the two liked to play jokes on the boys or just laugh at their own private jokes.

If Chanyeol had been any younger, then Kai would have been seriously worried about his girlfriend falling for the guy, but he had assured Kai that nothing was going on.

Kai raised his hand in protest at his hyung’s silent accusation. He knew what that look was impling.

You hurt her and I’ll break you.

“Soojung was talking about the recording and she just held onto my wrist. I swear hyung. If she was a guy, I would have punched her because I had no idea what she was doing and I’m pretty sure she didn’t either. Honestly, she’s so blank; it’s like she doesn’t take in anything anyone says.”

All five of s turned to look at him with surprise. It was probably one of the longer sentences they had heard Kai speak. He was a naturally quiet guy.

Chanyeol balked for a minute, taking in his dongsaeng’s unexpected burst.

“Well,” his tenor voice was so quiet that Kai strained to hear it from the back of the elevator. The doors dinged open. “now it’s up to you to convince Ji Min that.”

-

|| Ji Min ||

“You’ll be working with the ladies of F(X).”

I couldn’t believe it. The manager of the group shuffled his papers, ignoring my incredulous stare as I tried to sort out the thoughts in my head.

He raised an eyebrow. “Is there a problem Ji Min-shi?”

Time to work the sugar. I threw him my best innocent and sweet smile and shook my head, “No sir.” that won him over. He smiled delightedly and patted my head before giving me instructions on what F(X)’s comeback theme would be and what I needed to do.

He wasn’t aware that I wasn’t listening.

The door clicked softly, indicating that he had left and I slumped a little, poring over the papers. I never really liked Krystal; she was too much of a baby. Everything had to be done for her, even the foundation of her make up.

My personal belief was that as stars and models, we should be able to do our own make up. We know our faces best and stylists are not always going to be there for us.

I felt a little bit sorry for her really, one day she was going to do something wrong and she wouldn’t be able to cope because people were always trying to shield her from doing such rough, rogue-ish jobs. Only then would she really see who were her true friends.

She was also after my boyfriend. I always had a jealous streak inside of me; everyone does but mine is just a tad bigger. It’s the same as my mother.

Krystal needed to get it into her tiny little head that Kim Jong In was mine and will always be mine.

I flipped open the manila folder and glanced at the contents, making a face when I saw the name [정수정] printed on the first sheet.

I didn’t want to be a . I mean, sometimes I even spoke to Krystal and she was alright. Lay oppa always said that though Krystal was a little daft, she was still a nice person with a warm heart. When he had said that, I scoffed. A little daft? She was as dumb as a bean sprout.

Her everything was on here; her school records, her dental records and so on. Although they were brief, they gave me a clear overview on what she had done for her education. My summary; absolutely nothing.

Krystal Jung was basically a high school dropout. She did attend school, though the SM reports show that she rarely went to lectures and barely passed for some classes.

I snorted. Though I was an entertainer like her, just in a different aspect, my family cared so much about my education. I admit, like every teenager I hated it a bit sometimes but I knew that if modeling didn’t work out for me, I would always have my other academic things to fall back upon.

She had no plan B.

But it doesn’t matter. I quite like F(X)’s songs anyway so she can do whatever she wants.

A pink slip fell out of the side, fluttering to the ground and I swivelled in my chair, picking it up. On it were the instructions as to what I was to design for F(X)’s costume wardrobe and how much I was allowed to spend on it.

I raised my eyebrows when I saw their new concept; ‘Angels and Devils’. Wasn’t this a bit of a copy of SNSD’s Run Devil Run?

As I flipped through the leaflet once more, I suddenly knew the reason why their concept was so... cliche. Apparently fans and viewers had responded well to Krystal and Sulli’s W Magazine shoot with EXO.

My boss was good friends with Lee Soo Man and she had assembled a team of four; two of my friends and one professional seamstress to help create the costumes.

I was determined to make Luna and Amber shine this time. Luna was beautiful with a nice voice, and no matter how short she was, she always was the most cheerful to me. Amber just never got enough credit for what she did. I wanted to show that tomboys could be hot as well.

Taking the notepad next to me, I began to scribble down ideas as to what materials I should use and who would be wearing what.

An hour later, I found my fingers red and raw and I winced, rubbing them to ease the ache. My eyes went around the room and I surveyed it carefully for the first time since I got into the building.

It seemed as if it was almost late afternoon by the way the sun was shining in and the heat. I sat back down in my chair and looked towards the window.

It was tinted, but still very clear and it allowed anyone who walked past it to see what was going on inside. Imagine trying to break through that...

I suddenly had a brainwave and a smile spread across my lips. The story behind the Angels and Devils concept would be that three members start as good and two as bad and as the song progresses, they break through the glass and switch roles.

I admit, it’s not too exciting, but for such an overused topic it was pretty good. I went back to smile to my reflection in the mirror when suddenly six tall figures walked past.

Blood rushed to my head and the pencil dropped from my fingers as I suddenly slumped in my seat, hoping to avoid their bored and tired gazes.
Chanyeol oppa yawned and turned his head to the side, trying to hide it from the others but just happened to look right into my eyes. My hands were frozen into the position I was in when I was drawing and I couldn’t move my fingers.

Our eyes locked and the shock and panic in his eyes was almost tangible. My eyes hardened as I realized that it was probably a reaction to what had happened in the lobby.

I was just about to tear my eyes away from his when Suho oppa  ran into him and looked in the direction he was staring.

It happened so quickly. One minute it was just me staring at Chanyeol oppa then they all turned to look at me. I didn’t want to look back because I felt like a zoo animal on exhibition.

With one pair of eyes however,  it was as if I had a duty to look. Kai’s tired eyes looked into mine and wouldn’t let go. When his met mine, I could see the pain reflected in them. The childish side of me knew that I shouldn’t taunt him with my cold eyes anymore, but I wanted him to feel the hurt I felt when I saw Krystal holding his hand.

Before I could muster any more anger to put into my eyes, my phone rang, startling all of us; I jumped at it’s sound and they jumped at my movement.

“...Hello?” I had to control my emotions by pinching the bridge of my nose, urging the tears that appeared back into my eyes.

I wasn’t off my head about the Krystal thing, but I had a really bad day today and Kai was already in trouble with his ankle from me. I really didn’t want to get angry about two things today and he already looked so exhausted.

“Minnie.” Haebin was a good friend that I had grown up with and was now in modelling college with me, and just the sound of her voice - she obviously had a day today too - almost pushed me over the edge.

I pushed myself off the chair, ignoring the shooting pain I had in my leg from falling back at the set this morning and walked over to the other wall, my back facing the others.

From one look in my peripheral vision, i knew they were still all staring at me.

“What’s wrong babe?” I asked her and she sighed. I tried to push away my own problems and anguish as I listened to her rant on about her friends but my mind still lingered with the six boys behind me.

-
||Kai ||

I didn’t move an inch. I could feel Se Hun’s burning gaze drilling a hole into my head but I didn’t care. My eyes were zeroed in on her jean covered thigh where I saw her limp for a moment. Anger coursed through my body for a minute. How could she chastise me for not being careful when she was obviously hurt as well?

But I also wanted to know why Ji Min was sitting alone in a room up in the dorm hallways, with an F(X) folder on the table.

Squinting, I took a better look at the first sheet that was open and winced when I saw Krystal’s face smiling cheesily up at me. On the side, there were scribbles in Ji Min’s cursive script and I saw little dresses doodled on blank paper.

“She’s designing for them.” Joon Myun hyung’s incredulous, low comment could not have been louder in my ears.

I knew it must’ve have hurt an insane amount after what Ji Min saw earlier.

My gaze returned to her back and lingered over her beautiful figure. By the way she was dressed and the smell that came from the room, I could tell she had a gruelling day today. The was the thick stench of make up remover and hair spray everywhere.

“What are you doing?” We all turned to see our manager hurrying along the hallway with his sunglasses and a thick wad of papers.

Before we could leave, he reached us and frowned at the figure of Ji Min. “I don’t know her and neither should you. Besides, it’s rude to stare. Who is she?” He opened the door to her room just as Ji Min hung up and loudly asked her who she was.

She whirled around and bowed, hiding her face in her right palm. When she looked up and dropped her hand, my teeth gritted almost painfully and suddenly the ache in my back and ankle grouped together and formed a knot in my heart.

The area just under her eye was a little wet, and we could all tell because of the angle she was standing from the light.

Joon Myun hyung pushed me, and although I was taller and had a little more strenghth, all that was away the moment I saw Ji Min cry.

My eyes never leaving hers, I was pushed away and into our dorm where Kyung Soo hyung pried my bags out of the death grip which was turning my knuckles white and lightly placed them on the floor.
They didn’t speak. They didn’t move.

So I did it first.

I ran into the room Kyung Soo and I shared as fast as my ankle would allow and slammed the door shut and grabbed my hair with my hands.

Ten minutes later I straightened up and stood up from my bed. It wasn’t a huge thing. I would talk to Ji Min and it would all be so much better. She would understand.

Before I could even reach for the door, it opened. Joon Myun hyung poked his head in with a hard face.

My heart raced at his words, “Ji Min is here to see you.”

-----------

* Joon Myun is Suho’s birth name, not stage name.
** The members call Kai Kkamjong because ‘kkam’ means dark (he has dark skin) and Jong is the first part of his name.
*** Kyung Soo is D.O’s birth name.
 
-
 
So...
Since the last update I've gotten to know the boys better.
Baekyun killed me with his modelling looks in the showcase and Chanyeol's stare creeped me out and .
 
Yiling: That's precisely why I made this fic. Everything else was either Baekhyun or (although I don't mind too much Baekhyun now ;)
 
sipeoyo: hahaa wait for the drama sweetums. trust me you'll be jumping out of your chair. I was getting angry at Kai just typing this chapter!
 
YifeiLIM91: I freak out every time I see your username! HEY EVERYONE YI FEI IS MY CHINESE NAME! :3 Your comment means a lot to me. It makes me feel special that you took the time to spazz about my fic when a lot of others don't. Please keep going! And yeah, I'm younger than Ji Min and even the thought of dating someone as old as Kai in real life weirds me out a little.
 
I guess it applies less when we're in our twenties. I mean 20 year olds can date 24 year olds but if you're like 13 dating a 17 year old ppl would be like, 'wtf?'
 
Thank you for checking out my Taemin fic as well. I was in an angsty mood and it was inspired by the movie 'Love Actually'. Gahhh Taemin is so hot! Haha I hope to hear more from you!!!
 
DancingShoes: You do that ;) thanks for everything!
 
MihiYeobo: KAI'S Y TIME! So good haha. Hopefully more y time will come yes?
 
2905-thai_JAE: I added that in like last minute cause it was really short nd I was like >.>