Chapter 4 - The Celebrity

✩ What Goes Around, Comes Around

 

It was like going out with a celebrity. I didn’t know Seunghyun would have so many girls who would swoon after him. It all started when we went out for ice cream. Though it was a tiny ice cream shop tucked away in between other shops, it looked like a really popular place. Walking inside, there were a lot of other girls like me who just went out with their group of friends. As soon as we entered the store, the girls automatically became excited seeing Seunghyun. I looked up at him to see his reaction, but turns out that he was completely unfazed by the girls’ excitement. I had a feeling he was used to this.

“Good evening Mr. Choi, how may I help you today?” A lady behind the ice cream counter greeted cheerily. Seunghyun had certainly been here many times before.

“Well, I’ll get the usual.” He then turned to me, “What are you going to get?”

I looked over at the tubs of ice cream. They had flavors I didn’t even know existed. I tried looking for the simple old flavor of chocolate, but they had several types of chocolate flavored ice cream that I was completely lost.

Seunghyun laughed at my expression. “Why don’t you just have what I’m getting? It’s pretty good.”

“Alright.” I replied. The lady then proceeded to make our servings behind the counter. As she was doing so, I could detect that she kept stealing glances at Seunghyun, and then giving me an awful look. She didn’t look any older than I was, and I had the feeling that she was probably like the other girl customers who were excited to see “Mr. Choi”. I kept my eye on the ice cream she was making, in case she would spit at my cup.

“Here you go.” She smiled at Seunghyun, handing him over a cup of several scoops of different flavors of ice cream topped with sprinkles, chocolate, and other wonderful little things. Seunghyun handed one of them to me, and paid for the ice cream with his credit card. As we left the shop, the same girls who were swooning over Seunghyun were trying to take inconspicuous photos of him.

Seunghyun then drove us to father’s art museum. It was a beautiful modern-looking building with a fountain in the front. We sat by the fountain and ate our ice cream.

“Is that normal for you?” I asked him, once we were comfortably settled on the steps leading to the museum.

Seunghyun sighed. “You saw that?”

I nodded. I liked how Seunghyun understood what I was pertaining to without asking what I was talking about. “It wasn’t hard to miss.”

“That was one of the reasons my father made me go to an all boys academy. It began when a gossip newspaper began making headlines that the one of the richest men in Korea had a ‘very handsome’ son. They printed pictures of me and since then, girls have been trying hard to find me.” He explained.

“Well, you can’t blame them. You are very handsome.”

He laughed at my comment. “Thank you, but I try not to let it get to my head.”

“I guess the fact that your mother is a model contributes to your looks,” I said.

“It’s a curse and a blessing, sometimes. My mother wasn’t always there for me, causing my father to separate from her. I remember one thing he always said when he argued with her. ‘I married you to be a mother and a wife, not just because you were beautiful.’ My mother misunderstood, thinking she was to be chained to my father. I love my mother, but sometimes her free-spirited personality keeps me away from her.”

“Did your parents remarry?”

“My mother didn’t; she’s too busy to. But my father did. His new wife is pretty decent. She became the wife and mother my father wanted, except she can be extremely strict. She also came from a rich family, so she can sometimes be controlling. The thing about my father is that he really takes the time to evaluate the women he’s dating. Unlike the other wealthy men here, he doesn’t just pick up girls with a pretty face. He learned his lesson from marrying my mother,” Seunghyun told me.

“The lives of rich people fascinate me. It seems as if everyday there’s a story to tell. My life is so simple, that I don’t feel like I’m worth your attention.” I said, looking down.

Seunghyun smiled at me. “I find you very fascinating. No matter what family they come from, everyone has a story to tell.”

I shrugged. “The only interesting thing about me was that I had one of the worst breakups recently. I broke up with my boyfriend of two years and the worst part was that I wasn’t even thinking when I did that. Now, it’s this whole mess. He has a new girlfriend and somehow I still can’t move on. I asked him back… but he didn’t even give me a single minute to explain myself.”

“Is your ex that guy who was at the restaurant with us?” He asked me.

I looked up suddenly. “Yes, how did you know?”

“I don’t. But I did notice that you kept looking up at him during dinner. I could see that your face contorted whenever you saw them hold hands or smile dreamily at each other. I had a feeling that he must have had some part in your life.”

I sighed. “He had a big part of my life, but I threw it away. I must be one of the most foolish girls in all of Korea for throwing away my first love so carelessly.”

“Well, don’t make yourself a bigger fool by being depressed from your mistakes. One day you’ll look back and wish you weren’t so sad all the time. Your sadness will take over your opportunities to be happy,” Seunghyun remarked. “My first love ended badly, too. I was so in love with her, but my step mom didn’t approve of our relationship. At first, she accepted that as a teenage boy, I was bound to have a girlfriend, so of course she didn’t prohibit me from pursuing girls. But the longer and more intimate my relationship got with the girl, the more concerned my stepmother became. She didn’t want me to be ‘blinded by love’. So, with her influence, she coerced the girl to stay out of my life. From then, I never spoke or saw of her since.”

“Have you ever found anybody else since you broke up with her?”

“No, people like her don’t come by frequently, but I’m willing to open my heart.”

Seunghyun smiled at me, making me blush once more. Silence landed among us both as we resumed eating our ice creams.

“It must be hard seeing him with someone new.” Seunghyun finally spoke, breaking the long silence. I only nodded. I didn’t have anything else to say about it. I’ve cried over that fact way too much that there was nothing left in me to express.

Seunghyun spoke again. “You know… If you ever need someone, I could be there for you. We’ve only just met, but I wouldn’t mind being your oppa.”

I smiled at him again. I had a feeling that him being my oppa was essential for my mission to officially move on.

 

 

A/N: Thanks again for subscribing and commenting! It means a lot :) Anyway, short chapter! I wanted to give out a little of Tabi's background story (I don't know why, but I always end up giving my characters background stories). Also, I noticed that in my next few chapters, I've included a lot of TOP and little of Jiyong - who's supposed to be a main character. But, all is well because I'll soon direct the story back to the one and only Jiyongie. Happy reading you guys! And, if you haven't already, watch the trailer and tell me what you think!