Chapter 5 - Relations

✩ What Goes Around, Comes Around

 

“To be honest, we’ve always been talking about her, but I never really met her.” I spoke. Sooyeon, Minyoung, and I were at the cafeteria having our lunch. It’s been a few days after my first encounter with Seunghyun, and I felt a little better. Though I wasn’t completely over Jiyong yet, I was able to look at him and his new girlfriend without wanting to run away from the room.

“Who? You mean Hyerin?” Sooyeon asked, looking over at Jiyong’s girlfriend.

“Yes, why haven’t I seen her before?” I asked.

“Oh, that’s probably because she’s from a completely different group of friends. We never really cross paths with her because her friends are all one year older than us,” Minyoung explained. “You only saw her recently because apparently she can’t seem to keep her dirty hands off Ji.”

“What’s her name anyway? Hyerin?”

“Cho Hyerin,” Sooyeon answered. “Even if she wasn’t dating Ji, I still wouldn’t advise anyone of you to befriend her. She’s not exactly the wisest or nicest. She’s only sixteen, but my oppa says he sees her hanging out with her friends in clubs and bars.”

I was shocked. “Well, that explains her behavior. She also looks older than sixteen.”

“Aish… that Jiyong.” Minyoung shook her head. “It’s a shame how he downgraded from you to her.

“Anyway, Eunji, what are your plans after school? Minyoung and I are planning to do a little shopping.” Sooyeon said.

I grinned excitedly, remembering that I had plans already made for that afternoon. “I’d love to join you guys, but Seunghyun’s taking me out today.”

Sooyeon squealed excitedly, causing people from the other tables to turn their heads towards our direction. “Omo! Really?”

“Yeah, I don’t know where he’s taking me out though. He wouldn’t tell me.” I replied.

“Seunghyun oppa is known for his extravagant dates. He’s a big fan of throwing surprises.” Sooyeon said.

“I doubt this is a date. We’re only friends, but lately he lets me call him ‘oppa’.” I told her.

Sooyeon looked over at Minyoung. “Minyoung, is it just me or do I sense that Eunji has a new boyfriend?”

My face flushed. “It’s a little too early to say that.”

“But if he ever asked you, would you be Seunghyun’s girlfriend?” Sooyeon asked.

I bit my lip, thinking about that possibility. Seunghyun oppa had that gentlemanly appearance and he certainly looked like he could take good care of his girlfriends. “Well, if he ever asked me, I would say –”

But before I could answer that question, everybody was getting up to go to their next class.

 

I never thought I would have been this excited for a date with somebody else. Well, on the other hand, I did say it wasn’t a date. But ever since Sooyeon mentioned how Seunghyun always took girls out on nice dates, I secretly hoped that I could experience that. Once the clock struck dismissal, I skipped out of the classroom like a little girl. Something about Seunghyun oppa made me happy.

Just like a Prince Charming in the dramas that I always watched in TV, there stood Seunghyun oppa leaning against his sleek, black sports car in front of the school building. I could hear the other schoolgirls gasp in admiration and awe as they saw Seunghyun. I have to admit that he looked very handsome, and if I weren’t the girl he was taking out that afternoon, then I’d most probably be one of the other girls who were mooning over him.

“H-hi.” I sheepishly said as I approached him. Seunghyun smiled, taking off his sunglasses. I noticed that he was still in his school uniform: a white button-down shirt, black tie, a navy blue sweater over his shirt, and khaki pants. Just like any rich boy, his shoes were up to date in fashion. I then looked at the boys’ uniforms from my school. They were nothing compared to Seunghyun oppa’s.

“Are you ready?” He asked me.

I was about to say I was, when someone called me from behind. “Eunji-ah! Ahjumma says you forgot to turn in your essay paper!”

I realized that I did forget to do so, so I rummaged through my backpack for the essay paper she was looking for.

“Here, let me hold your stuff for you while you go inside.” Seunghyun offered.

I smiled gratefully as I handed him my belongings and ran back inside. I managed to turn in my paper within a minute, but I was delayed even more when another teacher caught me running in the halls and began scolding me. By the time I finally got outside, I saw Seunghyun oppa talking to none other than…

“Jiyong.” I breathed absentmindedly as I approached Seunghyun. Jiyong looked at me, but didn’t say a word.

“I’ll see you later,” he nodded at Seunghyun and walked away. I looked after him.He really is ignoring me. My happy spirit was immediately washed away. I hated how he could just waltz in and ruin my mood so automatically.

“Come on,” Seunghyun said, helping me get into his car. I guess he noticed my disheartened spirit, because he didn’t say much as he drove.

At first, I was staring into a blank space, my mind completely lost in whatever world it appeared to be in. But as the minutes went by, I was able to compose myself and formulate a statement, or thought, in my mind.

“You were talking to Jiyong.” I spoke, abruptly breaking the silence.

Seunghyun didn’t speak. I asked him, “Do you personally know him?”

He didn’t speak almost immediately. “Yes, I do.” He sighed deeply before continuing, “I haven’t exactly been all that truthful to you. But that’s mainly because I could see how hurt you get when I mention his name.”

I looked at him, completely confused. “Truthful?”

“Kwon Jiyong is my cousin,” he finally said.

My eyes widened in shock.