Unexpectedly In Love

Kpop One Stop One Shots

A request from LeCirque, I'm not really familliar with EXO that much but still I enjoyed making this chapter, hope you enjoy it too. :)


~Flashback~

 

“Hey baby.” A man’s voice made Nicole turn around and divert her attention away from her cell phone.

“Hi baby!” She said as stood up and greeted a tall red haired guy with his hands in his pockets.

“Long time no see baby, I missed you.” He said as he wrapped his arms around her and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

“Why did you suddenly want to meet?” She asked.

“Ahh… well you see… Uhm… I kinda need some money. My friend’s birthday is coming up and I’m kina short on cash right now. I promise I’ll pay you back.” He said as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

“Its okay baby, you don’t have to pay me back. Here’s some cash. Would you like something to eat baby?” Nicole asked, handing him some cash.

“Thanks so much baby, you really do love me.”

 

*The following day*

“Hey Nicole, I saw your boyfriend by the café. Are you going to meet him?”

“No he told me that he was forced to stay at home to take care of his brother.”

“Really? Well, I might have been mistaken though. I’ll see you around then.”

Nicole wasn’t sure if her friend was mistaken but she still has this unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach and decided to check. She walked to the said restaurant and sure enough, he was there alright. Nicole felt her anger slowly burning us as she watched him flirting, spoon-feeding and holding the hand of another girl. Nicole was already fuming with anger and could no longer resist the urge to strangle right there and then when he suddenly leaned forward and kissed her. Without thinking, she entered the restaurant, faced the girl, a smirk clearly visible on her face. She took a glass of water and spilled its contents on her so called “boyfriend”.

“We’re over.” she said between clenched teeth and walked away from the two of them

“That’s the last time I’m ever getting in a serious relationship.” She said to herself as she walked off upset, confused but most importantly furious about what just happened

~Flashback ends~

It was just another day in school and Nicole was once again pulled away from her usual group of friends by one of their juniors.

“What do you need?” she asked in a straight flat tone.

“Nicole sumbaenim, please accept these flowers they’re for you. I really like you sunbae.” The boy said looking down and giving her a bouquet of flowers.

“I’m sorry. I’m not interested.” She said rolling her eyes and walking away from the boy who just stood there dumbstruck.

Nicole walked back to the classroom, earning whispers and glances from the boys along the corridor. While walking, someone stood in front of her way and handed her a box of chocolates.

“For you Nicole.”

“Give it to someone else.” She replied coldly as she continued walking.

As the day progressed, several boys attempted to talk to her but she showed no interest in talking to them. She spent most of her time with her girl friends and only spoke to her other female classmates. And like any other day, it wasn’t long before their classes ended.

“Hey Nicole, where are you headed now?”

“Nowhere for now. I just have to be home by 8 since my parents are planning to take me somewhere.” She said as she slung her bag on her shoulder and prepared herself to leave the room.

“You know I don’t understand why you don’t go out. You’re 20 for god’s sake. You should go and see other people.” Hannah lectured as she fixed her own things.

“I am not planning to meet anyone and I have no interest in ever meeting someone.”

“You’re still mad about that?” Elise asked

Nicole shot a cold glare towards the two of them.

“Come on girl that was 3 years ago.”

“I have made my decision Elise; I won’t ever be in a relationship anymore. I don’t want to experience that feeling. It hurts too much.” She said as she walked away from them.

Nicole’s driver was already waiting for her by the parking lot so she got in and ordered the driver to take her to the mall. When they arrived she gave the driver some cash and asked him to fetch her after an hour. When he left, she headed to the café she would always go to every Saturdays and order the usual. She sat down in one of the vacant seats, took out her book and started reading. After finishing her coffee she kept her things, exited the café and walked around. Little did her friends know, after her previous relationship, she’d now prefer to keep to herself most of the time. She liked being alone, it helps her think. Without her realizing it, an hour had already passed and her mom was already calling.

When she arrived home, she found her mom excitedly waiting for her by the living room and she immediately knew something was up.

“What are we up to now mom?” she asked, sounding annoyed.

Instead of answering, her mom literally pulled her to the bathroom, told her to take a shower and went to her room. When Nicole had finished cleaning herself up, she went back to her room and found a red knee length dress and a pair of black heels.

“Not another marriage interview.” She grumbled to herself.

‘Might as well just get over this night and just turn it down once again.’ She thought to herself as she changed. After dressing up she headed down the stairs to their living room where her mom and their driver were waiting for her.

“Time to go my dear.” Her mom said smiling brightly at her.

She got in the car, followed by their driver and waited for her mom to get on board.

“Aren’t you coming mom?

“No my dear, you’ll be going alone.”

This confirmed it. She will be going to a marriage interview. She flashed a fake smile as she bid farewell to her mother and they drove off. When they arrived at the restaurant, Nicole heaved a deep sigh, got out of the car and prepared another rejection.

Nicole’s mother didn’t bother to ask what happened when her daughter came home earlier than expected and looking smug. She knew right away that Nicole had once again another suitable husband for her and frankly speaking, it was starting to worry her. Ever since she ended her first relationship, she simply refused to entertain anyone else.

The following day Nicole was walking to one of her lasses when she heard the voices of several guys whispering. She was about to turn the corner and face them but the sound of her own name made her stop.

“Nicole? That girl from class A?” one of the guys asked.

“Yup. I’ve taken quite a liking to her lately.” Another replied.

“Please bro, you’re better off forgetting about that.” A new voice said.

“Why? She’s smart, she’s pretty, what’s not to like?”

“Bro, there’s a reason why the guys call her the Heartbreaker.”

“I actually heard that it was because of her ex boyfriend that she hates boys now.” A fourth voice sounded.

“Please, there’s no way she’s going to reject me. I bet you 20 bucks she’ll say yes when I ask her to go out with me.”

“Yeah right. I bet you’ll be dumped.”

“You’re on.”

Nicole sighed and walked in the opposite direction, it’s the fourth one she heard that day and it was starting to get in her nerves. Since when was she an item of betting? Nicole was still thinking about the conversation she overheard when she accidentally bumped into someone.

“Sorry” she apologized without looking back.

She entered the class and sat down, automatically, her friends swarmed around her and they started talking. Only when their teacher entered the classroom did they finally went back to their seats and fell silent.

“Okay class, we’ll be having a new transfer student to join our class today. He’s from China and his name is LuHan.” The teacher announced.

Nicole groaned as a blonde haired boy entered the room. He bowed in front and introduced himself while smiling brightly, his Chinese accent stained his Korean.

“Anyeonhasseyo, LuHan nimida. I’m a ’92 liner.”

“Alright LuHan, you can take a seat next to Nicole, Nicole please stand up.”

“Great so much for quiet.” Nicole said to herself as she stood up.

She watched as LuHan walked over to the vacant seat next to her and extended his hand to shake hers.

“I look forward to being friends with you.” He said good-naturedly.

“She smiled and shook his hand. ‘I am not planning to be friends with you thank you very much.’ She thought to herself.

Nicole tried very hard to focus on the lesson and ignore LuHan who was sitting and interacting with the class enthusiastically. It wasn’t long before LuHan started losing grip of their lecture on Advance Algebra and began asking Nicole questions. Annoyed, Nicole was forced to acknowledge LuHan’s presence.

“Where are you getting confused in?” Nicole asked, heaving a sigh.

“Number 9, y =, how do you solve this?”

Nicole shot him a glance as if to say “Are you kidding me?”

“Math has never been my best subject okay.” LuHan said indignantly.

Shaking her head, Nicole proceeded to teaching LuHan, step by step on how to solve it. With her help, LuHan slowly began to understand the method. After class, LuHan and Nicole were both called out by their teacher.

“LuHan, I understand that you are having trouble adjusting to your classes so I’m to ask Nicole here to help you out. Will that be alright with you Nicole?”  The teacher asked.

LuHan looked at Nicole, waiting for a reaction but Nicole merely nodded her head.

“Yes seongsengnim.”

“Good, your sessions will be every Tuesdays and Thursdays, one hour at least. I’ll be looking forward to how you progress with Nicole’s help LuHan.” The teacher said as she left the room.

“I’m sorry for dragging you with me. I shouldn’t have asked for your help.” LuHan said as he walked with Nicole, his head bowed low.

“Don’t be. She would’ve asked me to help you sooner or later.” Nicole aid in a monotone voice as they walked to their next class, when they arrived they saw that their next class had already begun.

“Ohh Nicole, LuHan, you’ve arrived. Since we’re almost done pairing with each other for our next project, you two will be our last pair.” Their teacher announced.

Luhan once again waited for Nicole to show some sort of reaction but instead she nodded in a straight face. They proceeded to their seats and sat down. The teacher then began assigning the topics they were supposed to work for their project. Nicole and LuHan were assigned to make an autobiography of Napoleon Bonaparte highlighting his works and his contributions. After assigning, their teacher gave them the remaining time to talk about their output.

“Nicole, since we’ll be working together can’t we at least spend more time to get to know each other. I’ll say you, why don’t we head on over to the park after class.”

Nicole looked at the boy next to her as if to say, “Do I look like I want to?”

“Please” LuHan pleaded.

Nicole looked at the boy next to her. She looked into his deep brown eyes and saw his sincerity and honesty. She was reminded of an innocent child and she has to admit, he did look like one though. His eyes were soon filled with disappointment when Nicole did not respond and turned away.

“Alright, just this once.” Nicole said looking away from him.

“Yes!” LuHan cheered, pumping a fist in the air.

Nicole smiled at his seatmate’s childishness; she was so amused that she couldn’t hold back a small laugh.

“Oh, what was that?” LuHan asked, pointing at her.

“What was what?” Asked Nicole, putting up her straight face once again.

“You smiled! You actually smiled. I was starting to think you were something of an emotionless robot.”

“I’m no robot! Yah, why don’t you just quit messing around and work on this project.” Nicole said, shifting her attention to the task at hand.

“You have no idea how pretty you look when you smile.” LuHan Whispered.

“What did you say?” Nicole asked looking at him once again

“Nothing, not a thing.” Luhan said cowering as Nicole squinted her eyes suspiciously at him.

Nicole went back to writing on her notebook about all the things they needed to do, oblivious to the bright smile on LuHan’s face.

 

As the days passed, LuHan was slowly turning into a permanent growth on Nicole. He gradually got her to open up to him. It wasn’t long before Nicole started treating more often with her smirks, smiles and soft laughs. They began to work more comfortably with each other, becoming more relaxed with each other’s presence, Nicole most especially.

 

“Nicole!” LuHan called out.

Nicole who just arrived in school and what was starting to become the norm, was LuHan standing beside the gate, waiting for her.

“Oh, LuHan, what now?” Nicole asked, no longer in a monotone voice but more of in an amused mixed with annoyance type of voice.

LuHan ran over to Nicole and held her hand. Nicole stiffened at her but soon relaxed and intertwined his fingers with his.

“Well since we don’t have tutorial today and it’s a Friday which means there are no classes tomorrow, I was thinking maybe you’d want to hang out with me?”

Nicole looked at him with her eyebrows raised for a while before nodding with a smile.

 

That night LuHan prepared a meal for the two of them as a sign of thanks for everything. He waited nervously outside Nicole’s house, pacing back and forth to calm himself down. When Nicole finally stepped out of the doo, LuHan held out his hand to her.

“What’s this about LuHan?” she asked amused.

“Just play along will you. I’m trying to be a gentleman here.”

Nicole giggled at LuHan’s childish actions but never the less, she was still touched by LuHan’s effort.

LuHan took Nicole to a restaurant overlooking the Han River.

“Seriously LuHan, what’s gotten into you?”

“Just a little something to say Thanks for everything.” LuHan replied.

The atmosphere was quite cheerful in LuHan’s opinion and compared to when he first met Nicole, she was definitely more comfortable around him. No longer did she wore that stoic expression most of the time but she would smile every once in a while and would even laugh. LuHan watched as she ate the food he prepared, eyes shining in delight. He took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

“Nicole I was wondering, these past few days I mean, I was thinking…” LuHan said stuttering.

“What is it LuHan? Why are you so nervous?”

“Doyouwanttobemygirlfriend?” LuHan asked, talking a little too fast, handing her a bouquet of flowers, looking down and avoiding her eye.

Smiling, Nicole took the flowers from LuHan, walked around the table, placed a hand on his chin, lifted up his head to meet her eyes and placed a hand on his chin. She lifted his head to meet her eyes and placed her lips against his. LuHan stiffened at first but soon soften up to her kiss.

“I’ll take that as a ‘yes’ then.” LuHan said, breaking the kiss to breath and cupping her cheeks with both of his hands.

LuHan and Nicole have been dating for almost 3 months now and the news of them dating spread like wildfire. Boys started getting impressed by how LuHan melted her so called ‘stone heart’. Nicole on the other hand has become much friendlier to other people. Things were going perfectly and everyone was happy but unfortunately their happiness was short-lived.

After classes Nicole was waiting for LuHan by the gate of the school and like any other day, LuHan came and took her home, on their way however, LuHan was oddly quieter than usual.

“Luhan, what’s going on?” Nicole asked concerned as they stopped in front of her house.

“I have something to tell you.” He replied, avoiding her gaze.

“What is it LuHan?”

“We need to break it up Nicole.” He said finally looking at her in the eye.

“Why? I thought we were doing well – ”

“I’m going to get married to someone Nicole. My parents have already set me up with another girl. I’m sorry.”

“Thank you for telling me LuHan.” Nicole said as she got out of LuHan’s car and continued walking without looking back.

 

The following day, Nicole didn’t go to class, she just stayed in her room all day. Honestly, she felt so lost. She didn’t know what to do anyone. She was so confused that when her mom called her up and asked her to come to another marriage interview she agreed to it without thinking.

That night, Nicole prepared to meet her future husband. She was taken by her driver to the restaurant where they were scheduled to meet. She arrived earlier than him so she decided to sit down fist and wait. Unknowingly, LuHan was also in the same restaurant. He quietly walked towards the person that he was supposed to marry. Once LuHan came into clearer distance and recognized his future wife, his slow and heavy footsteps turned into lighter and more cheerful once. His dreaded and gloomy face was soon replaced by a face filled with excitement and delight. Standing behind his future wife, he brought up the bouquet of flowers to cover his face as he knelt down in front of her. Pulling out a ring in his pocket, he asked her in a confident voice.

“Nicole, will you marry me?”

Surprised at the familiar voice, Nicole pulled away the bouquet that was covering his face and with tears in her eyes, placed her lips against his.

“I’ll take that as ‘yes’ then?” LuHan asked, breaking the kiss.

Nicole wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeper once again.